Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

deek wrote:
    Ok that was actually a really stupid question to ask. What I really wanted to know was whether I actually have a problem or not. Sometimes I go overboard even if I never planned to, I needed to know how serious this is.
    It's really simple ya see,
    Originally Posted by deek
    List of things Ive done while drunk
    gotten totally paralytic about 5 times
    Broken someone elses shower door off its hinges(I cant remember that) so that it couldnt be fixed
    Jumped off a garage roof onto concrete 7ft below on my ass bone so that I spent 5 days in bed unable to move
    Cheated once
    and other strange things and obviously kissing guys I shouldnt have etc etc etc

You obviously can't control yourself, i mean come on. Cheating? Paralytic 5 times? Do you really have to ask yourself these questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭deek

homah_7ft wrote:
    I would curb it a bit if I were you.

Ya thats what Im going to try to do. Its going to take a bit of work but Ill take the advice of everyone i.e eating, drinking pints of water etc. If after a while ,having tried my best ,I still havent kept it properly under control when I go out ,well then Ill know I have to give it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

The best advice you can take away from these boards is this:

1) Yes you do have a problem with drinking
    2) You havent learnt how to say no - it is quite easy to do so
    3) If you continue drinking in your continuing fashion, I dread to think what might happen - especially if you are paralytic
    4) Best idea, bring only enough to cover a few drinks and getting home money
    5) Learn to say NO

I speak, not only as a drinker but as someone who used to be in your position and believe me, the trouble you think you have caused is nothing compared to the potentially dangerous and hazardous situations you could find yourself in

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭28064212

deek wrote:
    Ive tried going off drink on a night out but I went home early because the people I went out with were drinkin and I was bored outta my ****e. Does no one else finds this. Is it an earely sign of alcoholism when out of the number of times I go out(which is quite few) I end up gettin scuttered whether I planned to or not and doing really stupid stuff?
    See this is one of the main contributing factors to the continuation of the Irish drinking culture. The Irish nightlife is sh1te. When you go out, there's basically nothing to do except drink. Especially if you're not a dancer. It's only when you go out and don't drink that you realise this. There's very few nightclubs where you could go out and have a decent night unless you were too plastered to notice.

Oh, and by the way deek, accepting drink off strangers at 17, especially ones who are in their 20s, is just asking to be drugged and raped.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Couple of tips for ya deek:

1. Assume that any guy buying you a drink is trying to get off with you. Only accept if you fancy that person (this advice goes out the window when you've already got beer goggles on, at that stage, refuse all drinks you're offered).

2. A pint of milk/ carton of Yop / Bowl of ice-cream will all help increase your tolerance as dairy products line your stomach. Don't think this means you can drink what you like, but it will make you slightly more able to handle what you're drinking.

3. Remember, every pint of beer contains over 400 calories. It's one of the leading reasons why the Irish as a nation are over-weight. Most girls will tell you that they had their best figure around the ages of 17 to 19, all those calories start taking their toll after that. It's a good idea to cut back on the amount you're consuming if you still want all the attention from guys when you're a bit older ;)

• Advertisement

28064212 wrote:
    accepting drink off strangers at 17, QUOTE]
    I never did that they were always off people I knew.

Thanks everyone for all yer advice it is really helpful. But I do want to add that its not as big a problem as it may have sounded.

I dont deny that its something I have to be stricter about but on the other hand
    I dont drink that often (not even every second or third weekend, although Id say I drank about 5 times this year because of the leaving cert)
    I dont drink on my own
    I dont feel the need to drink as an escape from anything
    I never crave drink or being drunk

My problem is that I seem to get stupid once I do go out and not control how much Im drinking unless Im really concentrating on it.

That being said I will work on this because I think drinking is no bad thing if you can learn to handle it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Sleepy wrote:
    3. Remember, every pint of beer contains over 400 calories. It's one of the leading reasons why the Irish as a nation are over-weight. Most girls will tell you that they had their best figure around the ages of 17 to 19, all those calories start taking their toll after that. It's a good idea to cut back on the amount you're consuming if you still want all the attention from guys when you're a bit older ;)

this is only true if you do not excercise or play any sports etc. If your an active person this will not affect you at all. Well at least until you are in your thirties when your metabolism starts to slow down. Only worry about this if you do not excercise.
    Assume that any guy buying you a drink is trying to get off with you. Only accept if you fancy that person (this advice goes out the window when you've already got beer goggles on, at that stage, refuse all drinks you're offered).

Good advice. Guys who buy you drinks want to score you. Thats a FACT. Every guy on boards can confirm that for you.
    ph3n0m wrote:
    1) Yes you do have a problem with drinking
    2) You havent learnt how to say no - it is quite easy to do so
    3) If you continue drinking in your continuing fashion, I dread to think what might happen - especially if you are paralytic
    4) Best idea, bring only enough to cover a few drinks and getting home money
    5) Learn to say NO

1) This is not true. Just because you go out and hammered every now and again is not a problem. Drinking alot on a regular basis is a problem if you let it be. She has already said she only goes out and gets hammered every now and again thats what 80%(in my opinion) of the teenagers in this country do. they do not have problems. You should be able to refuse drink though do what I said before and get a water or coke or something every now and again instead of an alcoholic drink.
    2) This I agree with
    3) This I do not agree with. See above about drinking only every now and again.
    4) That can be good if it works out. What if she loses some money and is stuck her friends having gone home. Many situations can arise where you thought you didnt spend as much as you had and you end up in trouble. Good in theory but not always the best way.
    5) This is the same as 2).
    LundiMardi wrote:
    Originally Posted by deek
    List of things Ive done while drunk
    gotten totally paralytic about 5 times
    Broken someone elses shower door off its hinges(I cant remember that) so that it couldnt be fixed
    Jumped off a garage roof onto concrete 7ft below on my ass bone so that I spent 5 days in bed unable to move
    Cheated once
    and other strange things and obviously kissing guys I shouldnt have etc etc etc

You obviously can't control yourself, i mean come on. Cheating? Paralytic 5 times? Do you really have to ask yourself these questions?
    Ok your getting way ahead of yourself here Lundi. You are obviously alot older or are living in denial, one of the other. This is a pretty average if not less than average list of what teenagers get up to.(with exception to the landing on your arse bit!!). Most people do alot worse things than this and paralytic 5 times is nothing compared to your average teenager. I think you will have to wake up a bit and get with the current times before you start giving the girl a hard time. Thes are the kinda things you have a laugh about with your mates a few months down the line. i know me and my friends are still talking about times we went out and did stuff like that. Stop being so serious about it.

This is not a serious situation she is being a typical teenager and all of you are acting like her dad or something. She isnt doing anything wrong(except taking drinks off guys). Lay off her and stop giving her such a bad time about it.

Kingp35 wrote:

Ok your getting way ahead of yourself here Lundi. You are obviously alot older or are living in denial, one of the other. This is a pretty average if not less than average list of what teenagers get up to.(with exception to the landing on your arse bit!!). Most people do alot worse things than this and paralytic 5 times is nothing compared to your average teenager. I think you will have to wake up a bit and get with the current times before you start giving the girl a hard time. Thes are the kinda things you have a laugh about with your mates a few months down the line. i know me and my friends are still talking about times we went out and did stuff like that. Stop being so serious about it.

This is not a serious situation she is being a typical teenager and all of you are acting like her dad or something. She isnt doing anything wrong(except taking drinks off guys). Lay off her and stop giving her such a bad time about it.

I'm 21, this is my point about drinking in Ireland, we see this behaviour as 'typical average teenagers'. Does that not seem kinda bad to you?

The girl has already said she can't control herself when she has a few drinks, she can't say no, that is a problem no matter how old you are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

LundiMardi wrote:
    I'm 21, this is my point about drinking in Ireland, we see this behaviour as 'typical average teenagers'. Does that not seem kinda bad to you?
    No not really. we all did it(well most of us) and we all turned out fine. I would like you tell me exactly what the problem with this is. What harm is it actually doing? None as far as I can see.
    LundiMardi wrote:
    The girl has already said she can't control herself when she has a few drinks, she can't say no, that is a problem no matter how old you are.

The cant say no bit is only a problem if its a regular thing. thats what im getting at. Your bashing the girl for doing something every now and again. thats being too hard on her. If it was a regular thing and she is drinking all the time and cant so then tahts a problem. She has come on her for advice and all she gets is drink bashers who think its eveil or something. Thats not gonna help anybody!!

All the drink Bashers are being no help at all. She doesnt need to stop drinking because she doesnt have a drink problem as such. Simply substitute a pint for a pint of water evry now and again and problem solved.

Its not a serious situation. Your all sounding like she is a raving alcoholic!!

• Advertisement

Kingp35 wrote:
    The cant say no bit is only a problem if its a regular thing. thats what im getting at. Your bashing the girl for doing something every now and again. thats being too hard on her. If it was a regular thing and she is drinking all the time and cant so then tahts a problem. She has come on her for advice and all she gets is drink bashers who think its eveil or something. Thats not gonna help anybody!!!!

Actually, all i gave her was my advice, i wasn't 'drink bashing' at all. It only happens every now and again because she only goes out every now and again. What happens when she goes out more often? Which is worse? going out 3 times a week and not being able to control yourself once every two weeks. Or going out once every two weeks and NEVER being able to control yourself. I'd choose the latter as a problem.

LundiMardi wrote:
    Actually, all i gave her was my advice, i wasn't 'drink bashing' at all. It only happens every now and again because she only goes out every now and again. What happens when she goes out more often? Which is worse? going out 3 times a week and not being able to control yourself once every two weeks. Or going out once every two weeks and NEVER being able to control yourself. I'd choose the latter as a problem.

The reason she cant control herself yet is because she isnt used to going out yet. When she gets used to it she will control herself. I used to drink like a nut case back the too but I can control myself now if I want.

Its lack of experience thats her problem

Experience doesn't come into it, she knows she has some kind of problem other wise she wouldn't have posted. She's 17 not 7, i'm sure if she really wanted to she can control herself and say no. This is where the problem lies.

LundiMardi wrote:
    i'm sure if she really wanted to she can control herself and say no. .

I had some respect for you and your opinions until you said this. It makes it blatantly clear that you havent listened to a word Ive said. A lot of Irish people drink as much as Im talking about every weekend without giving a second thought.They dont want to control it.

How bloody dare you accuse me of not caring. What do you think think this thread is for? Some kind of self indulgent plea for attention or what? Its obvious you know absolutely nothing about what Im talking about.

deek wrote:
    I had some respect for you and your opinions until you said this. It makes it blatantly clear that you havent listened to a word Ive said. A lot of Irish people drink as much as Im talking about every weekend without giving a second thought.They dont want to control it.

How bloody dare you accuse me of not caring. What do you think think this thread is for? Some kind of self indulgent plea for attention or what? Its obvious you know absolutely nothing about what Im talking about.

Way to overeact, I haven't accused you of anything.

Experience does not matter imo, you're old enough to say no, IF you really wanted to. Do you not agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

You're on to something there, deek, most Irish simply don't WANT to control themselves. And use our drinking culture as an excuse...'sure, all teenagers / young folk in their 20's get paralytic at least 5 times in their lives, it's normal and healthy. It's what we fought the brits for in 1916 blah blah blah...' Sorry if that's generalising and making me sound stupid :)

I'll never forget the first medical I took when moving to the States in 1999 (was there for a good while, which maybe changed my perspective a tad), the doctor asked all the standard medical history questions, one of which is 'are there any individuals with alcohol problems in your family?' Obviously Kingp35 and I have very different definitions of alcoholics, but I recognised that yes, there was one in my extended family, but kept quiet about it out of embarrassment (stupid I know to be embarrassed in the doctors). The doctor simply fixed me in a stare and said 'really? Ireland? no alcoholics?'. Awful, evil generalising! Tragically, we do have a national problem with alcohol. And letting 13 year olds into the pubs will not solve this problem. Some 20 year olds should be disuaded from going, for that matter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

50% of us who managed to get out and about at 17, we drank, none of us could handle it. Legal or illegal.

The best advice I can give you at the time of yer life that your having at the moment, is drink more water when your out, as someone else said.

Most importantly get up and dance more. you cant drink when your dancing...
    most clubs wont let you up on the floor with a bottle and its damn right difficult to drink with a pint in your hand..

MOST important is that you have to mind yourself. Pick a female friend who is reliable and will keep an eye on you if your out of your bongos. And no, thats not the one who you'll have the most fun with, thats the one who wont leave you in a pool of your own vomit while some 50 year old is molesting you on camden street.

I know girls in their 30's who still regret that one night when they were seventeen....
    You can always get over the worst hangover in the world, you'll never get over someone taking advantage of you, or the fact that you were so pi**ed you never quite know what happened.

the whole, Im drinking too much thing, should sort itself out. In the next few years or so if your still getting ratarsed cos you feel like you have to finish what was bought for you on the table, you'll be either be greedy or a lush, and will be seen as such in your late 20's :) Realise your own limits, one night it could get you into trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

deek wrote:
    Thanks everyone for all yer advice it is really helpful. But I do want to add that its not as big a problem as it may have sounded.

I dont deny that its something I have to be stricter about but on the other hand
    I dont drink that often (not even every second or third weekend, although Id say I drank about 5 times this year because of the leaving cert)
    I dont drink on my own
    I dont feel the need to drink as an escape from anything
    I never crave drink or being drunk

My problem is that I seem to get stupid once I do go out and not control how much Im drinking unless Im really concentrating on it.

That being said I will work on this because I think drinking is no bad thing if you can learn to handle it.

Avoid it were you can.

its just not good for you. The practise of "self control" is just lacking.

Your not an alcho... you just lack the ability to control your drinking habits :/

Advertisement