Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

NO, coz you'll get used to it as you grow older and you'll be able to control & handle it better! simple as that! and if u cant, then your probably best not drinkin at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭athena 2000

Deek, though some of the advice here regarding eating before drinking is good, I think you do have the possible beginnings of a problem. If you can't stop drinking or accepting drinks when you want to, and you won't take personal responsibility for the amount that you drink, then you don't need to drink until you can be responsible. The fact that you're underage isn't a good sign, as far as my opinion goes.

Some people just cannot handle alcohol no matter what they do. You may be one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭deek

Well tbh I think most people in Ireland drink when theyre 17. But I feel really wary about alcohol and yet then I enjoy the relief etc. that drinking allows.

I really hope that I will learn to control it like some people suggested I will because the prospect of being a born-again-pioneer in Ireland is incredibly daunting.

What I really hope is that this binging is only because I mostly end up out on major drinking nights e.g grad night.Maybe once I start to go out more regularly Id be able to drink less.....agh....I dunno....

Btw this was all sparked off by the fact that I got drunk tonight and kissed a guy who someone I knew ( not really a friend) was crazy about. She was really pissed with me and I felt so ****ty ,anyway one more person to add to the list of people I souldnt have kissed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

just smoke instead, you wont be in the mood to do anythin that way :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

deek wrote:
    I have a problem that I seem to try to ignore. I dont drink that often but when I do ,I seem to always drink too much but as well I almost always do things I regret like kissing guys I shouldnt etc.
    Should I give up drinking if I cant control it?

Are you drinking to the extent that your friends and family worry about you? Coz if you're not, then don't worry. Sexual attraction is natural and should be exploited! (to an extent)

• Advertisement

No because family doesnt know and friends dont realise because its not happening ever weekend.
    In saying that I do have a bit of a reputation for going overboard with drink but I think it seen more as an innocent "silly little Deirdre" thing, she hasnt learnt to handle her drink ,tbh.

List of things Ive done while drunk
    gotten totally paralytic about 5 times
    Broken someone elses shower door off its hinges(I cant remember that) so that it couldnt be fixed
    Jumped off a garage roof onto concrete 7ft below on my ass bone so that I spent 5 days in bed unable to move
    Cheated once
    and other strange things and obviously kissing guys I shouldnt have etc etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

deek wrote:
    Broken someone elses shower door off its hinges(I cant remember that) so that it couldnt be fixed
    Jumped off a garage roof onto concrete 7ft below on my ass bone so that I spent 5 days in bed unable to move
    Cheated once
    congrats - you're a teenager! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Originally Posted by deek
    Cheated once

I can't believe some of the replies here. ''Yeah just keep drinking, you'll get used to it'':rolleyes:

Deek: You're only 17 and still have a lot of growing up to do. If you go out and you can't control your drinking then that is ALREADY a problem. If you can't control yourself then just DON'T drink. Simple as.

Awaits Irish mentality flaming:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭athena 2000

No flames from me, I agree with you. At this point with the latest list provided, it's a little early for Deek to be vying for the lead role in "Rachel's Holiday".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

LundiMardi wrote:
    If you go out and you can't control your drinking then that is ALREADY a problem.

Glad to see there is someone with a bit of sense.

• Advertisement

Well thats what I was worried about. My reasons for thinking I might have a problem can all be passed off as typical teenage(or Irish) shenanagins
    but Im just not sure if its not something more important than that.
    But then again I do have a tedancy to be neurotic about stuff so I dont know if Im blowin stuff out of proportion :o
    LundiMardi wrote:

If you can't control yourself then just DON'T drink. Simple as.

Its totally ridiculous to suggest its that easy to stop drinking. Its a huge decision in Irish society,your basically giving up the national past-time (look at the other thread on PI about this). If its definately what I need to do then obviously I will but I want to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I'd say stop drinking until you grow up. There's a reason why the legal age to drink is 18

deek wrote:
    Well thats what I was worried about. My reasons for thinking I might have a problem can all be passed off as typical teenage(or Irish) shenanagins
    but Im just not sure if its not something more important than that.
    But then again I do have a tedancy to be neurotic about stuff so I dont know if Im blowin stuff out of proportion :o

Its totally ridiculous to suggest its that easy to stop drinking. Its a huge decision in Irish society,your basically giving up the national past-time (look at the other thread on PI about this). If its definately what I need to do then obviously I will but I want to be sure.
    Stopping drinking is not a huge decision at all, why do you care about society? Drinking as a past time is probably the biggest thing i hate about Irish Society. It's just plain pathetic where people feel the need to get pissed to have a good time, but that's another subject.

Deek: I was in your position, 16/17 going to all night parties getting drunk, not sleeping, puking. I wasn't mature enough to control myself then and neither are you now.

I don't drink anymore though, well, i actually had a drink for the first time in about a year only a couple of weeks ago. The difference is, i drank because i just felt like a drink, NOT to get drunk like most Irish do. As soon as i felt the effects of the drink i stopped. It's not that hard. I probably won't have another drink for another year or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

LundiMardi, watch out for all the 'pro Irish drinking culture' people to come out and defend social drinking and our pub culture. I have never seen one of these threads without some lads (almost always in the their teens or early twenties) coming out fighting in an attempt to defend their way of life! Drinking three or four pints five times a week isn't unusual, it's what we fought the Brits for, etc etc...

I think the posters recommending lots to eat before going out / building up your tolerance of alcohol, while well-meaning, are misguided. Alcohol is a drug we consume for its intoxicating effect, no point pretending otherwise - why try to deaden your reaction to it? Just consume less. Which is easier said than done, as I fully understand :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

deek wrote:
    Its totally ridiculous to suggest its that easy to stop drinking.
    No it's not. Stopping drinking is really easy. If you find otherwise then something is a problem, not necessarily OMFG I HAVE A DRINK PROBLEM! but something isn't right in either your attitude to alcohol or the attitudes to alcohol in the circles you move in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

ionapaul wrote:
    LundiMardi, watch out for all the 'pro Irish drinking culture'
    The Irish don't have much of a drinking culture at all. We do have a getting drunk culture, which is different.
    ionapaul wrote:
    Alcohol is a drug we consume for its intoxicating effect, no point pretending otherwise
    Well alcohol does come in delicious Guinness and wine forms. Yummy stuff. Some people really do drink for the taste.

Well Im glad all of you got a a good chance to rant about the drink culture in Ireland :rolleyes: ,did I ever say that I liked it?? Christ,I just admitted it was there.

I know a girl who has never drank and probably never will drink, she's 19 an says that she finds it really hard to be the only one not drinking when she goes out with her friends.I understand her situation more than these people who dont drink and find it "really easy". And before anyone suggests getting "better" friends,my friends are really decent people and Ive known them all for years so I dont want leave them just because Im not drinking anymore.

Who said anything about leaving your friends because you give up drink? that's a little OTT.

All i'm saying that if you can't control how much you drink, then you shouldn't be drinking in the first place.

Because every one was saying " why give a **** about what other people are doing" So I thought that if I said that it would be hard to be around other people who are drinking somebody would say "then dont go out with them"

why would it be hard to be around them? You don't have to completely stop drinking, but if you don't learn the words 'no, i've had enough, thanks' then i would seriously recommend quitting altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

ionapaul wrote:
    I think the posters recommending lots to eat before going out / building up your tolerance of alcohol, while well-meaning, are misguided. Alcohol is a drug we consume for its intoxicating effect, no point pretending otherwise - why try to deaden your reaction to it? Just consume less. Which is easier said than done, as I fully understand :)

No I wont totally disagree with you that some peope drink to get drunk but in all honesty your not gonna drink something you dont like. I really like the taste of some drinks and quite happily have a beer watching a fil or something simply because I ove the taste. This is another case of trying to generalise everything. Dont do it it makes you look stupid.

To the OP. No you dont have a drink problem. I am 100% certain. The poeple who say "there is a legel age for a reason" are generally older people who are in denial about what young people do. By the way just as a point Ireland is one of the very few european countries with this age limit its generally about 14yrs old or with the likes of switzerland there is no limit. I had a pint in a pub there when I was 13!! Anyway the reason you dont have a problem is because you dont go out that often. if you did you would be finding yourself going out alot and getting absolutely hammered. if you ask most teenagers will say tehy ahve been paralytic at least 5 times. i know everybody I know(bar my pioneer girlfriend) has so dont look into that. As for the things you do when your drink thats just what happens. You act like an idiot but best way is just to laugh it off in the morning. You most definitely do not have a problem. your only problem is acting like a teenager.

As for your problem yes most people your age(in fact I would love ppl to give me free beer!!) would not turn down free drinks no way. But if you are getting too drunk and you dont like it then drink pints of water dut=ring the night to replace a pint of alcohol. If your already tipsy then you wont mind. The main reason is you dont go out that often and therefore you will get drunk alot quicker. Just drink teh water and you wont be so drunk. Your size doesnt matter that much its more about how much your body has become used to drink. My best mate is a girl who is less than 5ft tall not an ounce of fat on her and she can drink like a fish and walk home no problem.

Anyway to answer your questions you dont have a problem most teenagers are exactly the same as you(I nknow coz im only 20 plus I have 2 teenage brothers). As for the drinking thing you can either drink less(not that hard if you drink a pint of water every secong pint instead of beer.lots of people I know do this),or as you get older and you drink more often you will get used to it and wont effect you as much. I remember the good old days when I was 14 getting p1ssed on 4 cans now 4 cans prob wouldnt even effect me.

But the main issue here is if you dont like getting drunk or you dont like drinking then dont drink just because others do. Believe me people wont have a problem with you quitting. But if you like drinking then there is nothing bad about it. You will become wiser about it as you get older. Everybody goes nuts at your age. Its what teenagers do so stop worrying and just do what you want to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Glipmac

deek wrote:
    I know a girl who has never drank and probably never will drink, she's 19 an says that she finds it really hard to be the only one not drinking when she goes out with her friends.I understand her situation more than these people who dont drink and find it "really easy". And before anyone suggests getting "better" friends,my friends are really decent people and Ive known them all for years so I dont want leave them just because Im not drinking anymore.

yes it is hard to not drink when others are, i myself am a non drinker my friends go out and drink i just go along for a laugh. i usualy only drink coke or somthing fizzy so im not the odd one out, but remember you don't need alcohol to have a good time.

Thank you so much king:) This was why I posted originally. I didnt want the anti-drink brigade coming down on me ranting and raving about the culture in Ireland in general ,I needed good advice on my situation in particular.You've really put it into perspective thank you!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

deek wrote:
    Thank you so much king:) This was why I posted originally. I didnt want the anti-drink brigade coming down on me ranting and raving about the culture in Ireland in general ,I needed good advice on my situation in particular.You've really put it into perspective thank you!

No problem, glad I could help

i think this will be another case of selective advice taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

deek wrote:
    Should I give up drinking if I cant control it?

Yes

Has anyone ever been able to take everybodys advice at the same time??

You see some people give really bad advice.

homah_7ft wrote:
    Yes

Ok that was actually a really stupid question to ask. What I really wanted to know was whether I actually have a problem or not. Sometimes I go overboard even if I never planned to, I needed to know how serious this is.

They do. It's up to you to choose what to do.

• Advertisement

deek wrote:
    Ok that was actually a really stupid question to ask. What I really wanted to know was whether I actually have a problem or not. Sometimes I go overboard even if I never planned to, I needed to know how serious this is.

It's not unusual. I mean who hasn't made mistakes. I would curb it a bit if I were you. I wouldn't like the idea of thinking hmmm maybe I could have hurt my spine in the fall. Or maybe I didn't want to do that with that guy.

Advertisement