Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this?

Options
  • 23-06-2005 1:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

I have a problem that I seem to try to ignore. I dont drink that often but when I do ,I seem to always drink too much but as well I almost always do things I regret like kissing guys I shouldnt etc.
    Should I give up drinking if I cant control it?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

what you mean cant control it|? how drunk do you get?
    if you cnt stop drinking too much maybe ya should lay off a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You could always try only bringing out enough for the amount of drinks you think you can handle, plus travel money. A couple of times doing that and you may get used to drinking in moderation.

Failing that, you fancy going out sometime :D sorry, couldnt resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Stekelly wrote:

Failing that, you fancy going out sometime :D sorry, couldnt resist.

She could be a he. A Heshe. Emm. Try not drinking as much? Its not that hard. You say mmmmm.... i think im rdinking alot. Better stop for a little while and sober up a bit. We all have to do it. Unfortunatly .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭deek

I dunno I do try to lay off it and I can control how much I drink to a certain point but then once im tipsy Ive absolutely no control over it guys just keep offering me drinks and once im kinda drunk I just accept them.

Grimes wrote:
    She could be a he. A Heshe. .

I didnt do biology but I'm pretty sure He/She must be one or the other :D

• Advertisement

deek wrote:
    I dunno I do try to lay off it and I can control how much I drink to a certain point but then once im tipsy Ive absolutely no control over it guys just keep offering me drinks and once im kinda drunk I just accept them.

TBH I can't argue with that, if a girl starts offering me rinks, who am I too refuse. But unfortunately for girls it can be more serious, from a personal security point of view. If people are buying you drinks theres not much advice to be offered other than dont take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

at least you have the cop on at 17 years of age to realise that you have a bit of a problem. took me another 6 years for me to realise it :o
    just try drinking in moderation...

Ya see I never do, not till I get tipsy an then I just will take a drink off anyone I know.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

if you know them pretty well thats ok ;)
    maybe just dont buy any drink and just accept em or have pints of water in between drinks

Its all well and good making plans to stick to,they work until about 1 o clock then guys start gettin me drink and I end up takin them and makin really stupid decisions.
    Ive tried going off drink on a night out but I went home early because the people I went out with were drinkin and I was bored outta my ****e. Does no one else finds this. Is it an earely sign of alcoholism when out of the number of times I go out(which is quite few) I end up gettin scuttered whether I planned to or not and doing really stupid stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

hmmm maybe you should keep doin wat you do until you get used to the drink? might be better in the long run. if u plan on drinkin all ur life, its better u get used to drinkin sooner rather than later. of course, if the things ur doin are completely unbearable then maybe u shud not bring any money and ONLY accept drinks from strangers, that way u'll get slightly drunk but still hava solid head on ya to stop urself from gettin up to shenanigans u shouldn't be gettin up to. simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Just a suggestion: Try eating loads before you go out - a big dinner or something. I always find it takes me longer to get drunk that way, and usually don't over do it. The nights when I've lost control have been when I started on a near empty stomach.

Well im pretty tiny im only a size eight so ANYTHING gets me drunk :( So eating doesnt make a difference.

Try it. For one thing you'll be too full to drink much. And it's a fact that you get less drunk when your body is too busy processing food.

by the way, its not a problem, it happens to a lot of girls.
    also, if ur hot, blokes will try get u hammered so they have a better chance at gettin stuck into u.

ps u did say ur a girl, ye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

The_B_Man wrote:
    hmmm maybe you should keep doin wat you do until you get used to the drink? might be better in the long run. if u plan on drinkin all ur life, its better u get used to drinkin sooner rather than later. of course, if the things ur doin are completely unbearable then maybe u shud not bring any money and ONLY accept drinks from strangers, that way u'll get slightly drunk but still hava solid head on ya to stop urself from gettin up to shenanigans u shouldn't be gettin up to. simple.
    aye. if you keep doing this, men will stop buying you drinks eventually.

tman, they'll keep buyin the drinks but "deek" will b able to handle the drink more.

cregser wrote:
    And it's a fact that you get less drunk when your body is too busy processing food.
    disproven on brainiac :D

Well I started drinking young and Im sill not "used" to it. Yes I am a girl.Is it possible that since I dont drink that often I go more mad when I do drink?

I also find that once a guy has bought me a drink that they do try and get off with me even if theyre far older ( I mean late twenties) or people who I always considered just friends.

disproven on brainiac :D
    Well who am I to disagree! But I am speaking from experience...

[EDIT] Deek, are you fit? as in do you exercise alot. You said that you don't go out much, I'm guessing it could be cos you train for some sport? I found that people who are really fit get pished real easy.

• Advertisement

Basically what I wanted to know is whether this had happened to anyone else. And if these people ,who also had problems controling the amount of drink they have when theyre out, had ways of controling the amount they drink even when they get tipsy.

deek wrote:
    Well I started drinking young and Im sill not "used" to it. Yes I am a girl.Is it possible that since I dont drink that often I go more mad when I do drink?

I also find that once a guy has bought me a drink that they do try and get off with me even if theyre far older ( I mean late twenties) or people who I always considered just friends.
    when you dont drink for a while and go back first time i think you get drunk a lil faster or something.

friends thing..tell em to back off.
    20's guys sound like awful people stay away!

cregser wrote:
    Well who am I to disagree! But I am speaking from experience...
    i think that thats pschological or something..you get equally drunk but maybe a little slower i guess...
    experiance..preaching->choir :)

deek wrote:
    Basically what I wanted to know is whether this had happened to anyone else. And if these people ,who also had problems controling the amount of drink they have when theyre out, had ways of controling the amount they drink even when they get tipsy.
    i always drink too much but especially round my exams :)
    but i could stop if i wanted and have but then again some of my girl friends get drunk on like three pints so it may be harder for you to stop.but i dunno most people seem to stop when they want but when they want is always quite diff from other ppl

Well ideally Id only like to get a bit more than tipsy but yaa.... that doesnt happen :rolleyes:

practice makes perfect, deek. you'll be fine....assuming your 18/19 of course.

Well im 17 so what does that mean??

think shes 17,illegal!

For SHAME!!!!!

• Advertisement

So is the general consensus that I dont have a problem with drink then?
    Or are these early signs of a bigger problem that I'll have with drink when I have the freedom and the opportunity to drink whenever I feel like it.

Advertisement