Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Here it is on rapidshare lads.....class tune if you can ID it & provide a link i will be as happy as a pig in S*IT:D
    http://rapidshare.com/files/130309967/classics_01.MP3.html

Any one any ideas what this tune is....have been listening to this poor recording for years & remember it being played a good bit in the ASYLUM:confused:http://rapidshare.com/files/130309967/classics_01.MP3.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

have to say ill be happy as a pig in s*&t if i get this or even just to see it :)
    had some creazzzy nights there and some of the best memories ever!:D
    ill keep you posted m8!

I know G1 was over the silver skate ice rink in phibsboro, didnt last very long either, was open the same time as the asylum, i have an ed case mix from there if anyone wants it, i think i've often heard people calling the same place the shrine if that helps???

Anyways the mix is from 94, i know by the tunes on it, will upload if anyone wants it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Luke G wrote: »
    I know G1 was over the silver skate ice rink in phibsboro, didnt last very long either, was open the same time as the asylum, i have an ed case mix from there if anyone wants it, i think i've often heard people calling the same place the shrine if that helps???

Anyways the mix is from 94, i know by the tunes on it, will upload if anyone wants it...

yes indeed Luke,would love a listen to that mix!:D

btw does anyone remember a old man with a walking stick who use to walk around the place in g1? think he use to come into the mansion house allso?
    remember a few of my mates use to talk about him years ago.he just stuck out like a sore tongue he them places:)

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

yes indeed Luke,would love a listen to that mix!:D

btw does anyone remember a old man with a walking stick who use to walk around the place in g1? think he use to come into the mansion house allso?
    remember a few of my mates use to talk about him years ago.he just stuck out like a sore tongue he them places:)

Never seen that bloke but one night in the Asylum there was this old man in a toxido suite. He was in the middle of the small dance floor downstairs in front of the arches. He was putting a smoke into his mouth, then putting it on the ground and stamping on it, then he done it again, then again and several times more, he was just moving around not exactly dancing.
    At first I was in bits laughing then he started to freak me out.
    Thats the type of stuff you would seen at tha Asylum.
    Now somebody out there must have seen this too. There was a circle around this freak just staring at him, :eek:mad

moany wrote: »

Great track but that's not it. Same fellas though, Orient Express was a much better track I think. I thought a good few people wud of had it as it was a belter back in the day and still is now but it seems to be very hard to get.:confused:

The 12" was http://www.discogs.com/release/211770

Here's a 2 min clip I came across of miromusic website http://www.mediafire.com/?vnxxxom19ej

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Any one any ideas what this tune is....have been listening to this poor recording for years & remember it being played a good bit in the ASYLUM:confused:http://rapidshare.com/files/130309967/classics_01.MP3.html
    its roughage 3- la masquera
    http://www.discogs.com/release/79940
    been after that a while meself :cool:

any saturday night i was in the asylum a black african looking fella used to go in real late , with a silky cloak type thing around him and hat on his head , always on the dance floor opposite the main one , always stood out he did, anyone remember him :)

good stuff caf ,keep em coming :)

Cheers to all of ya for ID's & uploads of these tunes.....
    Luke that rotterdam tune...i have the original mix on a tape if you want me to convert it & up load it???
    And aceberg i would like that 'Our tribe-i beleive in you' MP3 if its no bother

Just for indulgence in tunes luke G here is the original tune samples were taken from to make "Rotterdam 93" that they used to play in the OLYMPIC.....loads more good stuff of same style as this on the tape its off if ye want a couple more converted & posted:D
    http://rapidshare.com/files/131784879/rotterdam.MP3.html

Cheers Derra for the ID of the last tune:rolleyes:'ROUGHAGE 3'anyone got an MP3?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭NovaGSi

Slow down on this thread lads....I only found it yesterday and have managed to get to page 60... there will be no work done for the rest of the week until I catch up to the current page...I can't beleive I started reading a thread that started back in 2005.

This is bringing back memories of the best nights of my life.

Cheers,
    Mick

NovaGSi wrote: »
    Slow down on this thread lads....I only found it yesterday and have managed to get to page 60... there will be no work done for the rest of the week until I catch up to the current page...I can't beleive I started reading a thread that started back in 2005.

This is bringing back memories of the best nights of my life.

Cheers,
    Mick

There will be no work done till Halloween when you check out this site,
    Here is a direct link to an ASYLUM video i put together & posted on that site......you will have to register as usual but read the rules first or they will ban you......once you have registered just post a reply in any of the forums that are listed with the hidden mix you are looking for to unhide it.....Talk to ya in NOVEMBER:D:D:D
    http://www.nioldskool.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=64073&view=findpost&p=829127

Thanks for that dude,

I just joined nioldskool, work has all the download sites, youtube etc blocked, so I'll have to wait till i get home, I might take a half day from work.........

Going to the attic at the weekend to find my old tapes and flyers from the early 90's...memories.

I'm sitting here in work at a PC thinking how the hell did I come out the other side of the madness and end up in an office, married and with kids..wow

Cheers,
    Mick

• Advertisement

I'm sitting here in work at a PC thinking how the hell did I come out the other side of the madness and end up in an office, married and with kids..wow

Same thought had crossed my mind once or twice,
    Answer: A combination of Cop on not to get into any heavy **** (which was very openly on offer & display:eek:) & luck not to be mistaken for someone & get cut up or collapse through indulgence & be given an arm & a leg out the front door by the bouncers:mad:
    But it was FU*KIN brilliant all the same:pac:

I'm catching up, just finished page 100.

yeah, pure luck really to be where I am now. I know loads of lads that ended up dealing (well thinking they were) and oweing an arm and leg (literally), a few guys went to bed after a mad weekend and never woke-up (RIP), one lad thrown out the back door of Sides and died and lads moving on to what they thought were bigger and better things always chasing the buzz.
    Cop-on had a lot to do with it and meeting my girlfriend, now my wife, who was not into the scene at all, she was the lure out of the madness....but it was fu*kin' deadly, I always think about the good aul days.

Cheers,
    Mick

yeah, pure luck really to be where I am now. I know loads of lads that ended up dealing (well thinking they were) and oweing an arm and leg (literally), a few guys went to bed after a mad weekend and never woke-up (RIP), one lad thrown out the back door of Sides and died and lads moving on to what they thought were bigger and better things always chasing the buzz.
    Cop-on had a lot to do with it and meeting my girlfriend, now my wife, who was not into the scene at all, she was the lure out of the madness....but it was fu*kin' deadly, I always think about the good aul days.

Cheers,
    Mick

Thats it mick, absolutely, nuts, ya wouldn't be caught dead doin it nowadays, BUT IT WAS ****IN DEADLY!!! ;);););)

Cheers,
    Mick

Met my now wife in the Olympic myself who definately kept me on the straight and narrow. Can't believe the job I have now and married and kidz to booth. Although the both of us went to 3 old skool nights in Radio City recently which were deadly and got deadly yokes too.
    I always had two golden rules 1 - Stay away from the gear. 2 - Dont over do it on the yokes, could never handle too many in one night anyway. Always wanted to be able to have a proper bop anyways. Although the Mad Bastards never helped the head but they were great at the time. There was the odd night in the Olympic when thats all there was going and well they were the only things going in the early Asylum times.
    Does anybody remember the bloke in the Olympic who was dressed up like the Dice Man and he had a bowler hat on. He would be standing on the stage facing the crowd and he would have the whole place screaming 'Mad Bastards Mad Bastards Mad Bastards' as he pointed his finger out at the crowd, fc*kin crazy.

derra wrote: »
    its roughage 3- la masquera
    http://www.discogs.com/release/79940
    been after that a while meself :cool:

any saturday night i was in the asylum a black african looking fella used to go in real late , with a silky cloak type thing around him and hat on his head , always on the dance floor opposite the main one , always stood out he did, anyone remember him :)

good stuff caf ,keep em coming :)

I remember having a dance off with a tall skinny black fella on that dance floor, the one beside the cool pop bar. Although I never seen a cloak, if I did I would have scarpered. It must be the same fella. I vaguely remember talking to him and remember him being from London, so he could have being a black English man:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

SEANYBOY1 wrote: »
    Met my now wife in the Olympic myself who definately kept me on the straight and narrow. Can't believe the job I have now and married and kidz to booth. Although the both of us went to 3 old skool nights in Radio City recently which were deadly and got deadly yokes too.
    I always had two golden rules 1 - Stay away from the gear. 2 - Dont over do it on the yokes, could never handle too many in one night anyway. Always wanted to be able to have a proper bop anyways. Although the Mad Bastards never helped the head but they were great at the time. There was the odd night in the Olympic when thats all there was going and well they were the only things going in the early Asylum times.
    Does anybody remember the bloke in the Olympic who was dressed up like the Dice Man and he had a bowler hat on. He would be standing on the stage facing the crowd and he would have the whole place screaming 'Mad Bastards Mad Bastards Mad Bastards' as he pointed his finger out at the crowd, fc*kin crazy.

holly ****:eek: i remember that dude on the stage with the cowboy hate i think? giveing it loads ! had a chin wag a few times with him and everybody at else at that:D have to say there was never a better name for them MB:I too am married with kids but the wife was never into the scene(thank god).

i think we all had friends who went a bit off the wall and are not here today,i still keep in touch with a few friends who i think are a bit mantley damaged from them days! they where the ones who would take 2 acid and 3 MD EVERY WEEKEND!. i could never do anything like that back then :rolleyes: most certainly not today anyway!!

they where the ones who would take 2 acid and 3 MD EVERY WEEKEND!. i could never do anything like that back then :rolleyes: most certainly not today anyway!!

Ah now you see it all depends on your state of mind to begin with.....all the way from 92 up to now .'s & shrooms have been on the menu with no adverse affects as long as it is not abused:D......friends of mine have grown a peyote cactus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peyote a little out of my league now but the moral of the story is they are perfectly in control of their mind and are far from mental.....have you ever seen the documentary TRIBE on BBC, very potent hallucinogens are used for tribal rituals in most episodes & even the guy making the show came back to earth eventually http://www.bbc.co.uk/tribe/ :eek:.....it all depends on your mental state as if you have a natural inclination towards anxiety or paranoia how ever small it will be amplified the stronger the hallucinogen taken:mad:......i know people who went off the rocker from years of abuse but that was from years of abuse of many many substances:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

Ah now you see it all depends on your state of mind to begin with.....all the way from 92 up to now .'s & shrooms have been on the menu with no adverse affects as long as it is not abused:D......friends of mine have grown a peyote cactus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peyote a little out of my league now but the moral of the story is they are perfectly in control of their mind and are far from mental.....have you ever seen the documentary TRIBE on BBC, very potent hallucinogens are used for tribal rituals in most episodes & even the guy making the show came back to earth eventually http://www.bbc.co.uk/tribe/ :eek:.....it all depends on your mental state as if you have a natural inclination towards anxiety or paranoia how ever small it will be amplified the stronger the hallucinogen taken:mad:......i know people who went off the rocker from years of abuse but that was from years of abuse of many many substances:pac:

yeah agreeded with you there key.i think it depends on your own state of mind.personally when i took acid,1 dd strawberry was enough for me.could handle a few more bombs tho.2/3 up to 8 the most i've taken i 1 nite.personally i think it's time to give up if ya to be taken 8 and more.

anyways here this track.i ****ing knew i knew it.doing my head in.here's the full e.p.derra looking for it aswell.

time 013-12] roughage - ep 3.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/?w31n1wxfkpm

He may be in the vid i have for ya sean....

Luke G wrote: »
    He may be in the vid i have for ya sean....

He is in the vid u sent me, meant to say it earlier.

KNOW YOUR LIMITS!

• Advertisement

Never seen that documentary,
    I used to take strawberries coming down off E after the Olympic in this park at the back of a mental home in Palmerstown and then back to a house till the next day. Christ man thinkin about it how the feck did I get thru it all.
    Still graet all the same, I KNEW MY LIMITS!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

Never seen that documentary,
    I used to take strawberries coming down off E after the Olympic in this park at the back of a mental home in Palmerstown and then back to a house till the next day. Christ man thinkin about it how the feck did I get thru it all.
    Still graet all the same, I KNEW MY LIMITS!

**** me strawberries after doing e.i thought ppl did it the other way around.never actually did both together meself.a bad trip and it was 1 battle to keep the head together.:eek:

aceberg wrote: »
    **** me strawberries after doing e.i thought ppl did it the other way around.never actually did both together meself.a bad trip and it was 1 battle to keep the head together.:eek:

Me and a mate used to go back to Palmerstown with a bloke from there and a few from Lucan. For some reason we refused to believe the night was over. Maybe half an acid or more E, and it was bright out at this stage, hanging around the grounds of a mental home, we should have been committed.
    We would have a getto blaster and play the same bloddy tape over and over again.
    This fella from Palmerstown, Skitz:eek: was his nickname. He was a tall skinny fella who wore a baseball cap on his head and another clipped to his belt. He'd wear all this rasta coloured chains and t shirts, u can see him on one of the Olympic Vids. Well we went back to his shed. Christ people from the Olympic would turn up at 6 in the morning after hearin rumours of parties.
    One time in the shed at about 4 in the morning me and this other bloke crushed up half a :pac:Mad Bastard and mixed it with a gramme of Pink Champagne:pac:, a line each and that was the closest I'll ever get to a trip to the hopo. My teeth were chattering for about an hour, I thought I was going to explode, but an excellent buzz from what I can remember:D. Would never do anything like that in my right mind again, I would'nt survive it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

anyways here this track.i ****ing knew i knew it.doing my head in.here's the full e.p.derra looking for it aswell.

time 013-12] roughage - ep 3.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/?w31n1wxfkpm

super stuff ace :cool: two other tracks in that ep i was looking for an id on as well , as you feel and houseplan :) thats a classic ep that..

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭DjAloldskool

Hi everyone, got a tune id for You,
    Its off one of the sides of the JX , N-trance, Pressure tape,
    The sample is,

http://www.mediafire.com/?mzjzrgom0jd

I found the JX tape up in the Ma's, I played if for the first time in 10 years,
    I nicked the tape off a friend years ago, I don,t think it's the full tape , it was copyed onto a 60 min tape , i think its missing the last 15 mins each side,
    and time has done no favours to the sound quality,
    I'll upload it to Mediafire tonight or tomorrow, and put the links up here,
    I think the tape is a bit f**ked on the JX side at the start for a few seconds.
    so all it is, is two 30 min sides, Its the only tape of It I have.

Efflogo.jpghoojlogo.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭bmooney

Hi everyone, got a tune id for You,
    Its off one of the sides of the JX , N-trance, Pressure tape,
    The sample is,

http://www.mediafire.com/?mzjzrgom0jd

I found the JX tape up in the Ma's, I played if for the first time in 10 years,
    I nicked the tape off a friend years ago, I don,t think it's the full tape , it was copyed onto a 60 min tape , i think its missing the last 15 mins each side,
    and time has done no favours to the sound quality,
    I'll upload it to Mediafire tonight or tomorrow, and put the links up here,
    I think the tape is a bit f**ked on the JX side at the start for a few seconds.
    so all it is, is two 30 min sides, Its the only tape of It I have.

Efflogo.jpghoojlogo.gif

this is the tune u want m/8

P.C.L-When Your Moving

http://www.mediafire.com/?czfze4yjzc2

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭DjAloldskool

bmooney wrote: »
    this is the tune u want m/8

P.C.L-When Your Moving

http://www.mediafire.com/?czfze4yjzc2

:D:D:D:D:D
    Cheers , thats the tune allright,
    its a good tune,
    Thanks for the Id and upload,
    :D:D:D:D:D

Now i know what yer going to say cause i would say the same..." i hate people who make out like they have done more just to be a mad C*NT "...but i regularly used to do Dots before somtimes or after the ASYLUM,

This no porky pie One of the maddest experiences i ever had was in 94 a load of us were beering in the park just behind the spawell where the walkover goes over the M50(really sunny day) & doing Dots...had done 2 over the course of the whole day & was going into the ASYLUM later with two grey Doves...went into the ASYLUM had a FU*KIN great night & left at about 6 ish...went back to a mates gaff just to flake out (no rave music allowed at this gaff:mad:) with plenty of beer....Soundgardens tune 'Black hole sun' was on MTV i remember & was as trippy as FU*K....anyway i lay back in the chair & closed my eyes & started tripping i was back in the park earlier in the day & hadnt done anything yet....i tripped i experienced the whole days proceedings again in just under 20mins to my recollection! Man it was FU*KIN brilliant:D
    Went back to the same gaff one morning after the ASYLUM again(rave music was allowed this time:D) & dropped 2 globes...they had a little picture of the earth on them....the Prodigys album "Music for the Jilted generation" was just out & i had the album repeat must have been 5 or 6 time very loud.....man the album means a whole diffrerent thing when your tripping severly;)
    One ASYLUM night/morning a mate of mine i used to buzz with in there from jobstown was sitting on the steps of the stairs just down a bit from the doorway to the third floor & i had a bag of Dot dust from the left overs of quite a few that were in the bag originally & told him what it was if he wanted to get more of a buzz.....we dipped our little fingers in like it was whizz & parted about an hour later when the whole thing was over & he didnt feel like he was getting anything out of it....i met him either the week later or after that in there again & he said it was the maddest buzz he ever had when he got the bus up to jobstown that morning but was FU*KIN amazing:D
    Lastly but not the last story i have...one night after the ORMOND and a party me & a mate made our way back to walkinstown at about 10am & had a bottle of marie celeste left each & i had one Dot in my gaff....my mate hhad done plenty of Trips but never a Dot.....we managed to split it in half (ish) and he replied with a smirk that not going to do FU*K all for me...we done it & spent most of that morning buzzing around the park (sunny days are fu*kin great)& got an unusually whopper kick out of it......my mate ate his words:D

Just finished reading the thread from start to finish over the past two days - talk about doing f+ck all in work - just like back in the early 90's, doing sweet FA in school, collage and work! All I ever did was count down the days to Sat night in the Ballroom or Sides, I hated every other day of the week. No matter how much hash I'd smoke I'd still be anxiuos waiting for the sour/sharpe taste of a dove or what ever was available.

I couldn't sleep last night thinking about the good aul days, I was trying to get the dates straigth in my head for when I started going into town and when it all finished for me. Myself and the lads started going in around the summer of '91 and I always thought it was for only maybe two years but after reading this thread i realise it was up until the summer of '95. It was so much of a blure that those years just came and went all rolled into one mad part of my life...I'm still remembering little bits from the nights out, what night it was I don't know, i just know I was in Dublin mad out of it.

This thread is full of great stories, some bad but mostly deadly tales of adventures in the best clubs ever. That's exactly what '91 to '95 was for me, one big, mad adventure. Every night you went out you didn't know who you would meet, what new mates you would make and where you would end up

This thread should be kept/archived somewhere because in another 20 years people wont beleive that such places as the Asylum, Olympic or Sides ever existed, never mind the madness that went on behide the doors of those places that most of us would consider home.

Thnaks for all the memories.

Cheers,
    Mick.

PS. Sorry about the rant above, for some reason those years just mean so much to me.
    PPS. I'll be back with more rants about some of the adventures.

• Advertisement

Never done the dots lads, was always afraid of them. What were they like. Mates and these girls I used to know from Jobstown used to do them in the Asylum, mad bitches.
    ASYLUMKEY did you ever know this tall skinny bloke from Jobstown who had wore glasses? Remember one morning at about 6am we were sitting on a bench in O'Connell street skinning j's and we decided to go into the Asylum. We were in the Olympic earlier on. We paid £5 in for the both of us and we tryed to bring this hobo in we got talking to but the bouncers wouldn't let him in, probably for his own good. If you knew him from the desription I have news for you about him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement