Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

Yes, you are right, it was a bakery (not Kearneys) but by the Kerins family, John Cahill (father of Siobhan, who played the grandmother in the original version of Sive, Maurice (rip) who was married to Peggy Devereux, Cahirdown, and John, who played the part of Carthalan in the play and is still hale and hearty, living in Cork with his lovely wife Mary (JD) O Mahoney.
    After the Cahills is was run by the Beechinor family as a fruit and veg. shop.Then it was bought by John Scanlon (Ballybunion) who ran it as a restaurant, called, The Spinning Wheel, now it is a shoeshop, called footprints.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

Here's a link to a nice programme about the River.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1118552

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ifitburwilll

UpTheAshes wrote: »
    Here's a link to a nice programme about the River.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1118552

Thanks, that was very interesting.Its amazing how good shows like this seem to pass us by.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

Church Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I know that the people here like the odd quiz, so here's a question:

Do the lights on the bridge ever get switched on?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

They have to convert the light fittings over to European standard fittings, the bulbs wont fit on the existing ones. Not sure where they imported the lights from, but thats your answer!

Should be sorted in a few weeks.

They have to convert the light fittings over to European standard fittings, the bulbs wont fit on the existing ones. Not sure where they imported the lights from, but thats your answer!

:eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Well that was a bright idea... :rolleyes:

Yakult wrote: »
    Well that was a bright idea... :rolleyes:

Whoever's responsible must be a bit dim.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Whoever's responsible must be a bit dim.
    Watt would you expect from the council?

• Advertisement

Watt would you expect from the council?

I expect enlightenment, but instead they prefer to keep us in the dark as much as possible.

I expect enlightenment, but instead they prefer to keep us in the dark as much as possible.
    Build a bridge...

it must be remembered that the Listowel Urban Council was recently elected by the people of Listowel. We elected them so we only have ourselves to blame.

I wonder should members be limited to 2 terms of office.

There, but for the grace of God, go I !!

boroman wrote: »
    There, but for the grace of God, go I !!

:confused:

Confused, or in the dark, why not make a statement by camping outside the council offices.

boroman wrote: »
    Confused, or in the dark, why not make a statement by camping outside the council offices.

I think that something's been lost in translation somewhere.

Perhaps you're not into puns.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Anyone have more detail on this? As an electrician I'd like to know the fine details!:D

Anyone have more detail on this? As an electrician I'd like to know the fine details!:D

I'm sure that someone will shed some light on it for you.

:pac:

Church Newsletter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I'm moving to Listowel next week. Can anyone recommend a good pub for watching Munster Heineken cup games? Living out Greenville direction so I guess John B's would be within stumbling distance. I know Billy is is a huge Munster fan.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I'm moving to Listowel next week. Can anyone recommend a good pub for watching Munster Heineken cup games? Living out Greenville direction so I guess John B's would be within stumbling distance. I know Billy is is a huge Munster fan.
    Try The New Kingdom bar at the top of the town near the Garda station!

I would also suggest Eamon O Carrolls (Jets place) ,Christys in the Square, or Kevins, Billy K. goes to the matches himself.

They don't seem to have much luck with lighting in Listowel.:(

Funding for lighting of Listowel graveyard not available

Listowel Town Council doesn't have the €300,000 it would cost to light the town's graveyard.
    That's according to Town Engineer Michael McEnery who was responding to a request from the John Paul the Second graveyard committee which want the facility lit up.
    Michael McEnery said there was a problem of antisocial behaviour in the graveyard in the past, and he was concerned that lighting the graveyard would mark a return of the problem.
    However he agreed to meet with the graveyard committee to discuss its request.

If the council did find the money, the lights probably wouldn't work anyway.:(

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

This is the scene in the market yard today.

More mart photos elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 48 bearnabeauty

This is the scene in the market yard today.

More mart photos elsewhere

Any idea what plans are being made with the site. I assume there will be no more parking there after steel removal from the site. Pity to have an unused brown site in the middle of our lovely town :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭John Granville

I watched some of the ‘Nationwide’ programme on Mon. night about the number of Irish people who died in World War I. As the camera panned down the list of names I spotted that of John Barry of Listowel who was killed in action in France on March 17th. 1917. Curious to know a little more, I did a little research.
    Anthony Gaughan hasn’t much to say about the period in his book except that hundreds from the area joined the British Army and died in the Boer War and in World War I, especially at Gallipoli. He doesn’t mention any names. (p.152, Listowel and its Vicinity)
    I didn’t find any more information about John Barry but I discovered that Kerry County Library archives has a list of Kerry related fatalities from WWI, 674 in all, listed alphabetically.
    Some of the entries have linked photographs of the deceased, a piece of official documentation or, sadly, a letter from a mother or relative to the authorities requesting information about a missing loved one.
    The following is a typical entry:

STACK, EDWARD PAUL.
    Rank: Lance Corporal. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Rifles. Unit: 2nd Battalion.
    Age at death: 20. Date of Death: 26-October-1914. Service No: 9950.
    Supplementary information: Son of John and Ellen Stack, of Church St., Listowel, Co. Kerry. Born in Listowel, County Kerry. Enlisted in Cork. Killed in Action. Grave or Memorial Reference: Panel 42 and 43. He has no known grave but is listed on the Le Touret Memorial in France.

There are many more from Listowel. Like the above, many died very young and have no known grave. It would be interesting to know how many from Listowel, urban and rural, lost their lives in that awful conflict and also, of course, those who fought and survived.

Is this the one?
    BARRY. JOHN.
    Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Irish Guards. Unit: 2nd Battalion.
    Age at death: 22. Date of Death: 17-March-1917. Service No: 7579.
    Supplementary information: Son of Bridget Barry, of Knockanune, Newtownsandes, Co. Kerry. Grave or Memorial Reference: V. H. 6. Born in Listowel, County Kerry.
    Enlisted in Listowel, County Kerry. Killed in Action. Cemetery: Sailly-Saillisel British Cemetery in France. [Related Documents]

http://www.kerrycolib.ie/www1b.asp

The "Related Documents" link shows you a photo when the file is opened.

Church newsletter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭John Granville

Is this the one?

http://www.kerrycolib.ie/www1b.asp

The "Related Documents" link shows you a photo when the file is opened.

That's it. Thanks ejmaztec. Don't know how I missed it first time. Having a photo to go with the name makes it even more poignant.A fine looking chap he was too R.I.P. What a waste of life but just one among many unfortunately.

Advertisement