Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listowel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

Yippee! My endeavours paid off. Good luck to all in the final round.

Congrats Cherry Tree...will be difficult( but not impossible) to catch you at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bob Dylan Fan

My congrats to all on the Quiz... Boroman.....Awesome...My total Congratulations to Cherry Tree and Price of a Pint ( I will give him 100% this time I would not let him Cheat..he will call me up and call me words I cant say on here..but he knows I am his friend).....My Money is on Cherry Tree.....sorry Price of a Pint...Yipee Kay eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

A small picture to remind some of you from this area of town of your background. (And your transport)

creamerytd0.jpg

Church Newsletter (sorry for the delay)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

Nostalgic Photo.
    Great photograph Lovely Writer, from its appearence I would date it around the mid 1960s,I was reminded of the Tom Jones
    song (with a few of my own words thrown in for good measure)
    The old street looks the same
    as I walked down from the train,
    This is indeed part of upper William Street(or as real townies would call it Patrick st. or Pound Lane). I have an good idea that Neddy the ass tied to the pole belonged to a really nice lady from Dirah East called Han Synan. The pole was (and is) situated outside the late Nora(Lynch)Buckley /the late Lil Mai O Sullivans houses.On the other side or the road
    the house with the brown door was Dr.Tim.Buckleys surgery (he lived with his two sisters Mollie and Delia across the road in a public house and which is now the Listowel Post Office).Above the surgery was a backlane which serviced the rear of upper William St. and Charles St .Up this laneway also was the Powerhouse which served as headquarters for the local E.S.B., up there also were 2 forges, one belonging to the late Jackie Moore and the other to the late Val Moore On the other side of the laneway is St Patricks Temperence Hall which was built in the 1890s, the hall which had a major reconstruction makeover 1999-2002.At this time the house above the hall was occupied by an O Sullivan family who afterwards moved to Charles St. Next door which at the time was derelict belonged to the late Mike Joe Hennessy of Ballyduff and formally of this street,the two houses above these belonged to Mary Moore who used let them to various tenants, at this time the lower one was let to the town jubilee nurse, a nurse Anne McDonagh, the upper house to Tom and Peggy Lyons,the two remaining houses in the photograph belonged to John Francis and Maurice Carmody,hopefully this gives a little insight into part of the street of 40 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Cherry Tree

Where they once sold pints they now sell stamps.
    Thank you Boroman for that piece of old Listowel lore. I wonder if we have any more photographs of asses parked in interesting places.
    There is an interesting new man over on the Ballybunion thread with "hundreds" of photos of Ballybunion. I wonder would he ever have wandered inland with his camera.

boroman wrote: »
    John Sheehy Memorial Quiz
    Round 5
    This round is a mix of general questions and some more from the irishoriginals.ie website

(1) Where once they served summones, they now serve pints, where ?
    (2) Who spent 439 old pennies on what, ?
    (3) How was the wallpaper delivered, ?
    (4) Name who lived in the shadow of the glen, ?
    (5) Barry the weaver, who is now in his place, ?
    (6) Who bought the francise of the Listowel Sweet Factory, ?
    (7) What did Sarah Quaid do, ?
    (8) Where was Potters Pawn shop, ?
    (9) First suggested name for O Connell,s Avenue was what, ?
    (10) Listowels first 3 cinemas, tell me where they were.?
    (11) A Ballydonoghue poster boy and girl, name them both, ?
    (12) The town's first Technical school was where, ?
    (13) The song says 'I am off to California' but who went to Sacremento, ?
    (14) Throw me down something, what's missing, ?
    (15) What is IF64 about, ?
    (16) How many in a show of strength, ?
    (17) More expensive, barm brack or salmon, check it out, ?
    (18) Where was Listowel's first motor garage and who owned it, ?
    (19) The Sluagh Hall, what was it first, ?
    (20) Cuthbertson was the first but who was second, ?

Answers to be received at emmetsabu not later than midnight Friday 30th January.
    And cherry tree along with pints Buckleys also had a grocery business and in the early days (c) 1910-20s they also had a bakery, there is a lot of history out there. !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

boroman, as requested

listoseloctober1972uz3.jpg
    w497.png

listoweloctober19724zn6.jpg
    w476.png

listoweloctiber19723js9.jpg
    w488.png

listoweloctober19722vj7.jpg
    w459.png

Sorry, I'm a bit late with this.
    All this week Channel South on Chorus is broadcasting from Listowel. Last night it featured Cara Trant and Billy Keane and tonight Gabriel Fitzmaurice. I missed Monday and Tuesday.
    It is available only to people who have the Chorus system and it's on 107.

Sean Murphy, from Listowel, teaching Maths on the Internet.

http://www.kerryman.ie/news/taking-the-classroom-into-cyberspace-1608648.html

John McAuliffe judging the poetry competition in Manchester.

http://manchesterlitlist.blogspot.com:80/2009/01/manchester-cathedral-religious-poetry.html

• Advertisement

Some shops awaiting new tenants in 2009

This time a bit smaller in file size.

Thanks to snow scorpian for putting up the 1970s photographs.
    Next Sunday the Emmets senior team are up against Duagh in the North Kerry Championship final, a tough game is forecast and there will be little between the teams at the finish, hopefully our fellas will be parading the town streets on Sunday evening, however if Duagh win we will not begrurge them their hour of glory as it has been a full 47 years since their last championship final win.
    On a sad note we received the news of the death of the everpopular Kevin Broderick this afternoon, even though Kevin had been ill for the past year the news of his death came as a shock to his many friends here in North Kerry.
    ''Ar dheis De go raibh a hanam dilis''

Church Newsletter

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

On a sad note we received the news of the death of the everpopular Kevin Broderick this afternoon, even though Kevin had been ill for the past year the news of his death came as a shock to his many friends here in North Kerry.
    ''Ar dheis De go raibh a hanam dilis''[/QUOTE]

I was saddenned to hear of Kevin's passing. Both myself and the Pintman had the pleasure of working for him in the bar (during several Race Weeks) when we were young lads. He was a nice man. Thank you Boroman for keeping us posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 listowel8

congrats to the listowel emmets on their great win over duagh in the nk. final by 3 pts.even with one man down for most of the 2nd. half.so sorry to hear about kevin broderick death R.I.P.he was a real gentleman and old stock.

Round 5
    This round is a mix of general questions and some more from the irishoriginals.ie website

(1) Where once they served summones, they now serve pints, where ?
    (2) Who spent 439 old pennies on what, ?
    (3) How was the wallpaper delivered, ?
    (4) Name who lived in the shadow of the glen, ?
    (5) Barry the weaver, who is now in his place, ?
    (6) Who bought the francise of the Listowel Sweet Factory, ?
    (7) What did Sarah Quaid do, ?
    (8) Where was Potters Pawn shop, ?
    (9) First suggested name for O Connell,s Avenue was what, ?
    (10) Listowels first 3 cinemas, tell me where they were.?
    (11) A Ballydonoghue poster boy and girl, name them both, ?
    (12) The town's first Technical school was where, ?
    (13) The song says 'I am off to California' but who went to Sacremento, ?
    (14) Throw me down something, what's missing, ?
    (15) What is IF64 about, ?
    (16) How many in a show of strength, ?
    (17) More expensive, barm brack or salmon, check it out, ?
    (18) Where was Listowel's first motor garage and who owned it, ?
    (19) The Sluagh Hall, what was it first, ?
    (20) Cuthbertson was the first but who was second, ?

Answers to be received at emmetsabu not later than midnight Friday 30th January.
    Yes great news to report, Emmets won in the end by three points in what was an awful bad match however I was speaking to an old Emmets player Paddy the Baker O Connor afterwards and he said that its better to win a bad match than to lose a great one, I am putting up the questions again so folks will not forget our Friday night deadline.

By now it is common knowledge that Tadhg Kennellys playing days with the Swans are over, I know that I speak for all Listowel people when I say how proud we were of how well he played and the way he conducted himself while in Sydney, he was a credit to Nuala and his late Dad Timmy, fair play to you Tadhg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭John Granville

By now it is common knowledge that Tadhg Kennellys playing days with the Swans are over, I know that I speak for all Listowel people when I say how proud we were of how well he played and the way he conducted himself while in Sydney, he was a credit to Nuala and his late Dad Timmy, fair play to you Tadhg.

See aso:- http://sydneyswans.com.au/

• Advertisement

I've posted my last lot of answers.
    I owe a big thank you to everyone who helped me. Everyone I asked was most generous in sharing their time and information with me. I have become the local pest for the past 3 months.
    Go raibh mile maith agat, Boroman.
    It was a great idea. It has rejuvenated the forum. I hope you will come up with another idea to keep us entertained for another while.

Church Newsletter

Boroman
    Had enough of torture in the past few months to last a while.
    Anyway answers submitted.
    Good luck to all.

Answers Round 5.
    (1) Christy Walshs, once a Bridewell hence the name, The Well.
    (2) Capt.Raymonds bill in 1879 at the Kerry County Club.
    (3) By railway.
    (4) O'Briens, Collins,Dalys,Keanes,Lynchs and Murphys.
    (5) Lawlees, Church Street.
    (6) Mackintosh's.
    (7) She was a millener.
    (8) In William Street.
    (9) Congress Avenue, it started to be built late 1932 the year of the Congress.
    (10) Tay Lane, Cooneys, Plaza.
    (11) Field-Marshal Kitchener (your country needs you) and Miss Violet Nolan ( 1st Dawn beauty)
    (12) Market Street.(afterwards the scout hall)
    (13) The McElligott family, sold their business to the O'Connors.
    (14) The Island Bridge, not in photo with river, castle and mill.
    (15) Number of tailor Kennellys car.
    (16) 7 warships going up the Shannon
    (17) Barm Brack.(Ballybunion letterhead)
    (18) Market Street, the Galvin family.
    (19) An egg store,
    (20) Noel Crowley, Church Street.

Result of 5th and final round.
    cherrytree.......... 10, which gives a total of...74.
    lovelywriter.... 10, which gives a total of...72.
    price of the pint.... 13, which gives a total of...76.
    so the winner by a margin of 2 is price of the pint.
    (and wins 6 tablemats of his/her choice)
    The special award for the funny answer goes to doodleavenue.
    (Will doodle please step forward)
    I wish to thank all those who took part in the quiz and hopefully we all have learned something more no matter how trivial about our hometown.Also I must say that it has been a most interesting few months for myself as I tried to set and frame questions that would be seen to be interesting, fairly hard, but fair.

I want a recount. Some of the people got help with their answers.

It has been said that in any Irish dispute no stone is left unthrown.

I congratulate Price of a Pint for his (interim pending the recount) victory. He must have been very well educated in Listowel. It is said that fish is very good for the brain

Boroman must have walked the streets very often to get the questions.

Don't forget the recount.

A richly deserved victory for the stayer, Price of a Pint.
    The combined wisdom and effort of myself and half of North Kerry could not match him.
    Again thanks to everyone who assisted me to second place. We are all a lot older and wiser after this quiz.
    It was never really about the winning but about the taking part.
    Boroman, ignore the begrudgers. You did a great job, showing neither fear nor favour throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

Congratulations to The Pintman- my money was on you from the start! Fair play to Cherry Tree, Lovely Writer, Listowel 8, et al for a spirited fight. Thanks to Boroman for injecting new life into the thread. (And also to Tom Doodle, by the way )

Boroman you put up quite a test to all of us.
    I know more about old listowel than I ever did.
    Anyway I think we all had fun ( as well as large transatlantic phone bills)
    Thanks to everyone who took part, especially Cherry Tree and Lovely Writer, who made a great game of it.
    As to all who helped me, I will be making Jigsaws from the table mats so watch out for the postman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 listowel8

congrats to my fellow "ashes man"on winning.It was an enjoyable contest and like everyone i found out things about listowel i never knew.I did more checking and studying for the quiz than i ever did in my 2 yrs. in st. mikes.I would especially thank BOROMAN for naming the quiz after my brother john,hewould very much have enjoyed the quiz.finally i hope everyone will continue to contribute to the site as it is great to hear from fellow proud listowel people and its vicinity.I guess many like me have to leave listowel to really appreciate the wonderful town that we grew up in.

Advertisement