Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiculturism?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

Rubbish. They'll be leaving in a few years, replaced by other immigrants. No loyalty whatsoever, not that I'm worried about that. Thing is, immigrants gladly accept a much lower wage as the time spent in the country is small enough - small enough so that they don't feel the full impact of the cost of living.

Do you really think this is about loyalty. Visas do expire you know.
    If I had the opportunity in the future to offer employment to someone, I would most certainly be biased towards the Irish applicant, there's no question about that.

So what your saying is that we should discriminate against foreigners and deprive them of their basic human rights. Racial segregtion is good?

You must be referring to the easy time the Irish had when they arrived in America and the like? You think we were accepted back then? You think we were offered x, y and z to move country? Get your facts right.

Un hunh, so the fact that we were treated like **** in the past gives us the right to do the same to others. Now that we can, that is.

Western culture has developed throughout the years, but the beauty of it is that it traces back thousands of years, making us unique. Different races throughout the ages. The Asian race, for example, is unique -would you not agree?

Of course I agree. However, if the purity of our race seems important enough to take discriminative action against 'different' people then I am all for it. Multiculturism is what made our culture the way it is today. Mixture of races creates new race and will continue to do so. In the long run we are all the same, we have just accomplished different things. Can you think of any race that has existed since the dawn of society? No. Similarily, none of todays races shall truly last. All that stands today will eventually become part of the ultimate progression of things.
    Balls to that. Your attitude is pathetic. It really says something about yourself. Just saying it's dead etc, and leaving it at that...you think that will achieve what you want it to achieve?

Oh but it is dead. What language do you speak primarily? What music do you listen to? What do you have for dinner?
    Progression is the ultimate nature of man. And yes I agree, in the long run all that man has ever accomplished really is quite pathetic.

And what exactly do you think I want it to achieve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭KnowItAll

Macmorris wrote:
    I agree. I think we definitely need better genes in this country. The problem was that a century and a half of mass emigration from Ireland meant that our most intelligent people removed themselves from the gene pool and left the less intelligent people behind in Ireland. It was a massive brain-drain and the result is that we have one of the lowest average IQs of any European country (only 93, lower than most European countries - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ_and_the_Wealth_of_Nations) and we have huge social problems caused by the feckless behaviour of our low-IQ people.

I don't see the need for bringing in thousands of foreigners though. Ireland needs better genes not foreign genes. If we want a better gene pool we need to have a eugenics programme to make sure that our better quality people have more children and thereby improve the general quality of the population.
    Yes we are very stupid. One of the best economies in the world and one that the new EU states are even copying.

When you talk about low IQ, how do you know? How was tested (I wasn't)?

Oh... Look who done the testing - Dr. Richard Lynn, Professor Emeritus of Psychology at the University of Ulster, Northern Ireland,.. They love us in Northern Ireland (espically the orange men)...

Im talking about Irish people. Go outside the major cities into the countryside and meet a typical irish farmer from the countryside. Compare that person from someone in the countryside of another EU country. They talk in riddles (to an outsider) and would be unable to discuss anything apart from the weather.
    Whats wrong with farmers? I have friends who are farmers and they are some of the nicest people you could meet or trust. Do you think being friendly is backward?
    Like, there is an international way of doing things. If you work anywhere abroad you will see that everyone does things the same way. Irish people havent adopted this and we do everything our own way. The GAA is kind of built on this idea, players can play the game in their own way.
    I like the Irish way. People all over the world are envious of the way we do things here! So you agree that we are unique, thanks.
    Some Irish people say they cant do the thing.. Like they are just not capable of working each day or dealing with day to day things. That for me highlights a very weak jean pool, weak mentality. You wouldnt find anything like that in Germany.
    A weak mentality? Be more like the Germans, Why?
    When we try to play soccer its highlighted against the other teams. We dont really play football, we rely on the irish spirit. That is something like New Zealand and their old indigious warrior ways. Its not something for the 21st century.
    Whats the point in trying to outplay Brazil by playing the Brazilian way? That would be a silly thing to do.
    The other thing is there is too much 'life' in Ireland. I mean that so much things happen here that wouldnt happen in other countries. I met a load of people from czech republic and they didnt like it at all. I think indigious people all had different characteristics and we kind of stick out like a Mauri people in New Zealand.
    I think you're embarrased to be Irish. Do you put on posh a accent too? Do you wish you were from a more 'sophisticated' country? You concentrated on all things (you thought were) negative...
    in short, i think we need to diversify

I see you support Shelbourne. Why am I not supprised your a Dub? There are more people in Dublin who would be more supportive of my argument but there is always the ignorant few who still see the country as the pale and beyond! If you hate the country so much why don't you just move to a "better" country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

tim3115 wrote:
    Multiple cultures create the Irish culture? Do you include the way of the Romanians in that? Along with the Italians? Sure throw in some Spaniards with that..

I don't see how that creates the Irish culture, our ancestors created it. True Irish men and women.

What are true Irish men and women for fu(k sake?
    Hello just people who live in IRELAND simple yeah.
    Our "ancestors" come from different parts of europe. Omg just like todays emmigrants. Oh no what will we do people want to live near us.
    If Irish culture was meant to survive it would/will whatever.
    As Des Bishop said "I can't wait to see Oboo Oboo hold up the Sam MacGuire".

to love ones country is to hate another.

• Advertisement

KnowItAll wrote:
    - Dr. Richard Lynn, Professor Emeritus of Psychology at the University of Ulster, Northern Ireland,.. They love us in Northern Ireland (espically the orange men)...

Now your getting emotional and subjective you shouldn't trust it justs gets you more angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

KnowItAll wrote:

I think you're embarrased to be Irish.

And I think you don't know what it means to be Irish, or if you do then you can't express that meaning (like you've been asked to do on countless occassions)
    KnowItAll wrote:
    Do I really have to define Irish culture?

Yes.

You decry the deterioration of Irish culture without defining what Irish culture actually is. Thats the same as me saying the Lesser Spotted Waller Waller Bird is an endangered species, then refusing to show proof of the existence of said species, nevermind it being endangered!

You seem more interested in "exposing" the race traitors among us. You define yourself by what you are not. Who's getting negative now?

Now your getting emotional and subjective you shouldn't trust it justs gets you more angry.
    I'm a very laid back person!

Do you not think I've a point though? In Northern Ireland some sections of the community are brought up to hate us. Thats just a fact of life, it doesn't bother me btw (I'm from faraway Co Cork).

When these surveys are done the results can be made look like the tester chooses. For instance, maybe they tested in Universities across europe but not in Ireland...

The way the economy is going proves that the results are false!

KnowItAll wrote:

(If you were realy proud to be Irish then you would be against multiculturism!)

This country is full of race traitors...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0501/poll.html
    Almost 80% of the respondents agreed with the statement that it is good that children in Ireland today are growing up in a multicultural society.

And just to show that I'm not ignoring the other points raised in the poll (and to avoid being criticised for selective editing)
    A new opinion poll indicates that eight out of ten Irish people want restrictions on the number of foreigners allowed to live here.

The IMS survey for the Sunday Tribune also found that two-thirds of respondents do not have any non-Irish friends.

Which goes to show that the average Joe Soap doesn't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to immigration reform and multiculturalism.

KnowItAll wrote:

Do you not think I've a point though? In Northern Ireland some sections of the community are brought up to hate us. Thats just a fact of life, it doesn't bother me btw (I'm from faraway Co Cork).

When these surveys are done the results can be made look like the tester chooses. For instance, maybe they tested in Universities across europe but not in Ireland...

So you don't know how the research was conducted, but you assume the author is anti-Irish?

Rightttttttttttttt....

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

And I think you don't know what it means to be Irish, or if you do then you can't express that meaning (like you've been asked to do on countless occassions)

Yes.

You decry the deterioration of Irish culture without defining what Irish culture actually is. Thats the same as me saying the Lesser Spotted Waller Waller Bird is an endangered species, then refusing to show proof of the existence of said species, nevermind it being endangered!

You seem more interested in "exposing" the race traitors among us. You define yourself by what you are not. Who's getting negative now?

What are you on about? Why do you want me to "define" Irish culture? Do you not know what it is? If not then your the only one who dosn't know what it is. Look at theJollyRodger's last post. He goes into a bit of detail...

To be honest with you I'm not going to define Irish culture because it would take along time to describe and I havn't the patience for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Nevada

So you don't know how the research was conducted, but you assume the author is anti-Irish?

Rightttttttttttttt....

"The problem was that a century and a half of mass emigration from Ireland meant that our most intelligent people removed themselves from the gene pool and left the less intelligent people behind in Ireland."

No I suspect the least intelligent people left, the most intelligent remained and made the most of a difficult situation and created the country we have today.Multiculturalism is a cesspit, ask the Dutch.

Rightttttttttttttt....

Correct. I do not believe for one moment that we are the Dumbass's of Europe when the economy is flying and going from strength to strength compared with other economies.

Btw did it show the IQ of African or muslim countries?

What are you on about? Why do you want me to "define" Irish culture? Do you not know what it is? If not then your the only one who dosn't know what it is. Look at theJollyRodger's last post. He goes into a bit of detail...

To be honest with you I'm not going to define Irish culture because it would take along time to describe and I havn't the patience for that.

I want you to explain your own idea of what Irish culture means because I believe your idea and that of most other posters to this board are wildly different, and that by your own definition most Irish people do not belong to that culture.

Do you believe that our culture is objective or subjective? Is our culture defined by a shared history/language/place of birth/religion, or is it based on subjective criteria such as a sense of belonging. Can a person opt in to the Irish culture regardless of their personal circumstances?

I also believe you are dodging the central question of what Irish culture means to you because you know you are out of your depth discussing this subject and the only thing you have left is your prejudice against non-nationals.

Correct. I do not believe for one moment that we are the Dumbass's of Europe when the economy is flying and going from strength to strength compared with other economies.

Btw did it show the IQ of African or muslim countries?

You really are doing your best to prove Prof Lynn right, aren't you?

My point was that you don't know how he conducted his research but you still managed to assume he was anti-Irish.

So, despite knowing nothing about his work you still manage to come to a conclusion about his personal beliefs. You based this on what exactly?

For the record, a google search for Richard Lynn gave his own website as its number 1 link.
    In 1991 I extended my work on race differences in intelligence to other races. I concluded that the average IQ of blacks in sub-Saharan Africa is approximately 70

I suspect yourself and Prof Lynn have quite a lot in common TBH.

KnowItAll wrote:
    I'm a very laid back person!

The way the economy is going proves that the results are false!

Its not their fault that they are hateful towards us. It's because of their foolish pride in their tradition/country conflicts with our stupid and oh so unstoppable hateful pride in our country. Its to do with how your brought up and wether or not your smart enough to see the benifits of change.
    It doesn't matter wether that Prof was a Protestant/NorthIrishmen or a slug shaped jedi as long as he did it in the interest of science and when your a PROFFESSOR its most likely what you do.

I HATE LABELS AND THE ESPECIALLY THE PEOPLE WHO FREELY AND READILY GIVE THEM OUT AND THERE ARE TO MANY IN IRELAND GOD BLESS HER FOR SUCH A SMALL COUNTRY WE SHOULD KNOW BETTER.

It should bother you by the way that someone might hate you especially if they don't know you.

Nevada wrote:
    "The problem was that a century and a half of mass emigration from Ireland meant that our most intelligent people removed themselves from the gene pool and left the less intelligent people behind in Ireland."

No I suspect the least intelligent people left, the most intelligent remained and made the most of a difficult situation and created the country we have today.Multiculturalism is a cesspit, ask the Dutch.

Everybodies brains have the same capacity for learning and thinking. They just have to be used. The brain is like a massive and infinitely more complex version of an FPGA(programmable chip) dna just gives its initial programming its up to the user to make their brain more efficient. Unfortunately Irish people just hook up their brains to 220volts i.e. Alcoholic time passing and fry up all their hard programming fu(king funny Irish people watch how they drink those crazy guys its a wonderfull culture hah boys I know lets go out and get locked yeah keepin the culture alive whah yeah whah yeah whah.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

In Northern Ireland some sections of the community are brought up to hate us. Thats just a fact of life, it doesn't bother me btw (I'm from faraway Co Cork).
    and in most sections of ireland the irish are brought up to hate the northerners,ie unionists,thats just a fact of life as you would say!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭tim3115

So what your saying is that we should discriminate against foreigners and deprive them of their basic human rights. Racial segregtion is good?

What I am saying is give preference to the Irish. The same goes for housing etc.
    Un hunh, so the fact that we were treated like **** in the past gives us the right to do the same to others. Now that we can, that is.

I didn't say 'treat them like shít', you did. You're trying to put those words in my mouth, but why am I not surprised? I will say this though, Irish people are being treated like shít in certain circumstances. You look at the number of Irish people losing their jobs to companies who are re-locating their operations. You look at the number of foreign people getting jobs ahead of Irish people at low wages. That's what 'treated like shít' is
    Can you think of any race that has existed since the dawn of society?

But there are races that have lasted for thousands of years, no? So who's to say that they haven't lasted for even longer than that? And that they'll last for a long, LONG time now? In Africa, for example, do you think there are a mix of races there? Or have the people there kept their race intact since the early times?
    What language do you speak primarily? What music do you listen to? What do you have for dinner?

My primary language is English. I have studied Irish, and after my schooling of it, I'm studying it again. Although passing the honours paper in the Leaving Cert, I have a pretty poor understanding of the language. Although, in saying that, I gave up studying French & German, if that's of any interest to you.

Music I listen to varies. Have a great interest in metal music, certainly. But have cd's of traditional Irish music. Also have some cd's from Artists such as The Dubliners and so on. I sometimes watch the traditional music on TG4.

Dinner? Can't beat the ould spuds can you? And some beautiful steak. Oh, and we buy from our local butcher as his meat is all local. That's the way it should be.

So my Irish isn't the best..Am I any less Irish than someone with a better understanding of the language? I listen to Irish music, am I better than you? I eat spuds, better than you? What exactly were you trying to get at here?

Go outside the major cities into the countryside and meet a typical irish farmer from the countryside. Compare that person from someone in the countryside of another EU country. They talk in riddles (to an outsider) and would be unable to discuss anything apart from the weather.

I've met people from the countryside in countries like Czech republic. And I can tell you that they're certainly different than our Irish counterparts. They talk in riddles? Do you mean they don't use 'story' or 'buzz' in your presence? Maybe you should inform them prior to the start of your conversation.
    Like, there is an international way of doing things

And there's an Irish way of doing things. :confused:
    The other thing is there is too much 'life' in Ireland. I mean that so much things happen here that wouldnt happen in other countries.

What do you mean here? What happen's here and not in other countries?

tim3115 wrote:
    You look at the number of foreign people getting jobs ahead of Irish people at low wages. That's what 'treated like shít' is

You base this on what? Our unemployment rate means we are effectively at full employment, with the remaining unemployed made up of people between jobs, in training, and just plain unemployable.

tim3115 wrote:
    So my Irish isn't the best..Am I any less Irish than someone with a better understanding of the language? I listen to Irish music, am I better than you? I eat spuds, better than you? What exactly were you trying to get at here?

By the same token, I mainly eat Italian or Indian food, don't listen to traditional Irish music, and speak no Irish. Does that make me less Irish than you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Its all down to greed, we have it(and want to keep it) , they want it(by hook or crook).

As for the eejits who dont want it but want to give it away, fuck off
    (usual middle or upper class gits rebeling against daddy).

I think we should hire ryanair to get a fleet in and get rid of all the spongers,(irish included)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭tim3115

get rid of all the spongers,(irish included)

What do you mean by this?

You base this on what? Our unemployment rate means we are effectively at full employment, with the remaining unemployed made up of people between jobs, in training, and just plain unemployable.

As I said earlier, I base this on personal experience and local incidents which I know about. As for it happening throughout the country, we all know the answer to that.

tim3115 wrote:

As I said earlier, I base this on personal experience and local incidents which I know about. As for it happening throughout the country, we all know the answer to that.

And my personal experience is that the only person I know who is unemployed is between jobs (admittedly he's been that way for a while), and any difficulties he's having in finding work are as a result of his lack of training. You're point being?

Listen, the "we all know the answer to that" defence doesn't wash anymore. The facts speak for themselves. Our unemployment rate is so low we are effectively at full employment. In the country as a whole there are very few people activly seeking work who cannot get work, and those that can't find lack of training or qualifications to be their main stumbling block.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

What I am saying is give preference to the Irish. The same goes for housing etc.

Yeah, that's what I said you were saying.

I didn't say 'treat them like shít', you did. You're trying to put those words in my mouth, but why am I not surprised?

What's that supposed to mean?

I will say this though, Irish people are being treated like shít in certain circumstances. You look at the number of Irish people losing their jobs to companies who are re-locating their operations. You look at the number of foreign people getting jobs ahead of Irish people at low wages. That's what 'treated like shít' is

You seem to think that immigrants have it dead easy over here. Being friends with quite a few non-irish I can easily say they do not. Your views are biased in favour of your own race and the way you want things to be. Foreigners shouldn't be getting offered lower wages in the first place as that is quite prejudice.

But there are races that have lasted for thousands of years, no? So who's to say that they haven't lasted for even longer than that? And that they'll last for a long, LONG time now?

They have lasted for a long long time. And now they're changing. It was bound to happen sooner or later and it is good that they are.

In Africa, for example, do you think there are a mix of races there? Or have the people there kept their race intact since the early times?

There is a mix of race there. Remember apartheid? Think the blacks were oppressing themselves? Approximately 40% of Africans are christians (that's our doing).

If you are reffering to these many small tribes in Africa (amongst other places) Ever wonder why those african tribes are living in poverty and hunger? Because they never progressed.

What I'm saying is that our culture has already been dilluted. And it's good. By taking in aspects of foreign cultures we gain new things and new ideas. There is no point in being narrow minded and trying to say "WE have been doing this for thousands of years so its the right way". Taking in aspects of foreign cultures does not make us any less Irish. It can only better us. Unless the two contradict each other.

The average IQ in subsaharan africa is 70
    I suspect yourself and Prof Lynn have quite a lot in common TBH.

I didn't do the survey and I thought you claimed he was fair in his research!

Btw, it proves only, that multiculturism does not raise the national IQ average like some people here believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

if the irish want to keep there culture why do you all speak a foreign tongue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

county wrote:

culture
    The totality of socially transmitted behavior patterns, arts, beliefs, institutions, and all other products of human work and thought

Ah the old foreign tongue argument, firstly how we communicate is the important thing in cultural terms, the language used is only secondary.

What we communicate with that language as a culture is the defining thing,

E.G consider a londoner(english language) and a Kerryman(english language) sitting in a room, you have conversaions with both, would you still say that because they both speak english they have the same culture??

Didnt think so.

I didn't do the survey and I thought you claimed he was fair in his research!

I claimed nothing of the sort, I just called you on your assumption that he was prejudiced against the Irish. Get your facts straight.
    KnowItAll wrote:
    Btw, it proves only, that multiculturism does not raise the national IQ average like some people here believe!

Oh, so now you accept his research? I thought he was biased against the Irish, and that our successful economy "proved" him wrong? How can he be so right about multiculturalism and so wrong about the Irish national IQ.

By the way, I'm still waiting for your idea of the Irish national culture. You know, the one you claim is under threat from the foreign hordes?

county wrote:

We don't, english has been here for nine hundred years and counting yet nobody wants to admit it. Its the truth the Irish just like to complain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

What a steaming pile of racist crap. Honestly, I am amazed at this rubbish. Irish culture is a subset of Western culture the two sets of value systems largely overlap anyone of us could blend in easily in any other EU or North American country so stop kidding yourself about our culture being "destroyed" by outside forces.ROFL, you sound like some paranoid American Republican. "It's the bloody jewish left-wing media!!"

"War is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

"War is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Immigrant infiltration, Immigrant indoctrination, Immigrant subversion and the international Immigrant conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious culture."

You get a point for the Dr.Strangelove reference.

Advertisement