Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a classic and took a pic thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭okistag

Kilpeddercharityrun47.jpg
    Kilpeddercharityrun49.jpg
    Kilpeddercharityrun56.jpg
    Kilpeddercharityrun44.jpg
    Kilpeddercharityrun61.jpg
    Kilpeddercharityrun62.jpg
    Kilpeddercharityrun71.jpg
    Kilpeddercharityrun77.jpg
    Kilpeddercharityrun84.jpg
    Kilpeddercharityrun8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

atlantean wrote: »
    Something else — pure perfection!

Certainly was, but did you ever see so many spectators so close!
    Rugbyman

St Catherines Charity run a little slide show from the day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rROGFKvWcM

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Lovely Mini Traveller in Antibes, France.

08062010275.th.jpg 08062010276.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Blue Punto

okistag wrote: »
    It was great to see some many Classic and Vintage cars out for such a good cause even with the weather as it was.
    Here are a few photos and and a short video clip from the day once it has uploaded on youtube.
    Kilpeddercharityrun100.jpg
    Kilpeddercharityrun101.jpg
    Kilpeddercharityrun11.jpg
    Kilpeddercharityrun12.jpg
    Kilpeddercharityrun14.jpg
    Kilpeddercharityrun22.jpg
    Kilpeddercharityrun20.jpg
    Kilpeddercharityrun34.jpg
    Kilpeddercharityrun24.jpg
    Kilpeddercharityrun59.jpg
    that blue mini looks very "new" for an RZS reg
    84 if im not mistaken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

and you needed to quote EVERY photo why.....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

Blue Punto wrote: »
    that blue mini looks very "new" for an RZS reg
    84 if im not mistaken

And no NCT test either, my God, what's the world coming to at all at all!!! If he had any sense he'd have gone the whole hog and got a pre-80's reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

Kilpeddercharityrun71.jpg

Speaking of curious reg numbers, would anyone care to speculate whether it's the reg or the split that's not original?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

the split screen minor also had a smaller rear window , the rear window on that one looks to me to be the later type .. i would say the front scree was retro fitted i could be wrong

kasper wrote: »
    the split screen minor also had a smaller rear window , the rear window on that one looks to me to be the later type .. i would say the front scree was retro fitted i could be wrong

Indeed. The splitties stopped in '56 IIRC. If that car is a genuine splitty, then it has also been retrofitted with the later front grille & indicators, the semaphore slots have been removed and it has gained a 60's reg plate.

I'm sure someone could give the date of the plate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

nmacc wrote: »
    Indeed. The splitties stopped in '56 IIRC. If that car is a genuine splitty, then it has also been retrofitted with the later front grille & indicators, the semaphore slots have been removed and it has gained a 60's reg plate.

I'm sure someone could give the date of the plate?
    May 1961 Dublin city. It definatly hansnt the look of a split minor. Nice wheels though.

Thanks Carcheologist, knew I could rely on you.

Could I prevail upon you to try three other?

ZO 1860
    XIK 222
    AYI 367

History will follow.

Oh, all right then; while you're looking them up.

ZO 1860 was a green Hillman Minx that I briefly owned before giving it away & swapping several of the spare wheels & tyres for a Fiat 126. The 126 & the Minx had it in common that they came without paperwork. I'm therefore unsure of the year of the Minx & curious to find out.

XIK 222 was a Borgward Isabella that belonged to my father. It was probably Irish-assembled as it rotted through if you breathed heavily in its vicinity. Again I'm curious about the year.

AYI 367 was a black 1957 998cc Moggie Minor that my aged mother bought for £55 in 1972. We ran it until 1974 and traded it in with Brittains for £50 against a 1968 Mini automatic (FBI 134) for which we paid £400. Think of it, 848cc coupled to an automatic gearbox.

ZO 1860 1973/74 Dublin,probably 1974
    XIK 222 Mid 1957 Dublin
    AYI 367 Late 1957 Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Blue Punto

Redrocket wrote: »
    and you needed to quote EVERY photo why.....?

Whoops:D

Thanks, but could you check the first again?

I think you'll find that 1974 is the date for 1860 ZO. I'm wondering about it's predecessor: ZO 1860.

Thanks.

Thanks, but could you check the first again?

I think you'll find that 1974 is the date for 1860 ZO. I'm wondering about it's predecessor: ZO 1860.

Thanks.
    Oops sorry,that would be either 1952/53 so. Read my info wrong here,and i corrected wrongly in the previous post too,thinking i was wrong!:p:D
    Its 1952 as the first reg of 1953 was ZO6500

Thanks, that would make sense, as it was a 1948 onwards model of Minx

Thanks, that would make sense, as it was a 1948 onwards model of Minx
    Sounds about right so! I have a handbook for the 1946 one of those actually. Is the '48 much different?
    IMG_0008-1.jpg
    IMG_0009-1.jpg

Good question.

back when I had it I was sure the model year began in '48, but it looks very similar to the model you've scanned. I could of course look up my photos, but I lack your level of organisation & I haven't a clue where they are.

I do remember that the drawings in the manual (which I never had) are deceptive for someone used to a modern car. Although the interior space is not great, it feels pretty big on the outside, mainly down to the height I suspect. You had to climb up into it, particularly in the rear, and the top of the grille was very high. There was enough wasted space under the bonnet to fit at least one engine from a modern supermini. The boot in contrast would fit surprisingly little. Rather like the Minor.

• Advertisement

Good question.

back when I had it I was sure the model year began in '48, but it looks very similar to the model you've scanned. I could of course look up my photos, but I lack your level of organisation & I haven't a clue where they are..
    Dont worry,im not a bit organsied!
    I guess the '46 was the first model after the war,probably very similar to the pre war car. Maybe the '48 was a newer version again. Im sure someone on here will fill us in on the details.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Saw two classics at my local mechanic recently in Blackrock (no pics, sorry).

One is a red (well, pink) 924S which apart from the exterior is actually in great shape inside. Mech says the engine is good, too.

He's also doing some work on a yellow TR6.

Anyone got their baby in there for some attention? :)

Dades wrote: »
    Saw two classics at my local mechanic recently in Blackrock (no pics, sorry).

One is a red (well, pink) 924S which apart from the exterior is actually in great shape inside. Mech says the engine is good, too.

He's also doing some work on a yellow TR6.

Anyone got their baby in there for some attention? :)

Hi Dades

Can you remember if the yellow TR6 was original Irish reg or not ?? like ZL

Cheers Jack

Few more taken in France......
    moke.jpg
    2cv.jpg
    panhard1.jpg
    panhard2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Love that Panhard!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭tc20

esel wrote: »
    Love that Panhard!

+1
    the 2nd photo in particular.

The curved front reg plate is very cool indeed.

off on a tangent i watched "Mesrine" at the weekend, (its out on dvd) film based on the life of Jacques Mesrine, a french career criminal, who rose to fame or notoriety in the early 60s and lived til the late 70s. R16s seemed to be a favoured means of escape for bank robbers of the day. Great film, great story, and well worth it for the amount of classic spotting

• Registered Users Posts: 41 aravan2010

Doesn't look too windy there. (Private Joke)

I hope you toke some better photo's that them.

aravan2010 wrote: »
    Doesn't look too windy there. (Private Joke)

I hope you toke some better photo's that them.

Why are u not working..........

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

tc20 wrote: »
    +1
    the 2nd photo in particular.

The curved front reg plate is very cool indeed.

off on a tangent i watched "Mesrine" at the weekend, (its out on dvd) film based on the life of Jacques Mesrine, a french career criminal, who rose to fame or notoriety in the early 60s and lived til the late 70s. R16s seemed to be a favoured means of escape for bank robbers of the day. Great film, great story, and well worth it for the amount of classic spotting
    These plates are still available in France.
    vg5wk8.jpg Panhard PL17 curved front plate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hi Dades

Can you remember if the yellow TR6 was original Irish reg or not ?? like ZL

Cheers Jack
    Didn't notice, but will check if the car is there when I pass by next. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement