Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anime & Manga Stores in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

Just go into Forbidden Planet and ask them to reserve you a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Condoriano wrote:
    Does anyoone know where Aumanga Daioh manga is sold?

The Book Depository.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Cosine

Rei-chan wrote:
    The anime in Tower Records is waaayyyy better. They have more than Laser! And, they're even attempting to sell Manga!

Has the anime section in Tower moved or just shrunk?

They used to have a nice section but now its only a third its old size and had only a few good series/movies. I took a look around but couldn't find any other anime :/

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

it moved back closer to where it was initially (window).

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Condoriano wrote:
    Does anyoone know where Aumanga Daioh manga is sold?
    I got the 3rd volume on trip to London (the last one in the shop too) and now I cant seem to find it anywhere.

You can try play.com too:
    http://www.play.com/Search.aspx?searchtype=bookall&searchstring=azumanga&page=search&pa=search&go.x=0&go.y=0

If you like Azumanga Daioh try Yotsub&! as well, its even better:
    http://www.play.com/Search.aspx?searchtype=bookall&searchstring=yotsub&page=search&pa=search&go.x=0&go.y=0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Neo Android

Does Easons In Galway Have A Large Selection Of Manga? Or Is It Like One Shelf?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Does Easons In Galway Have A Large Selection Of Manga? Or Is It Like One Shelf?

A shelf with ~ 1 - 1.5 m width of manga, and a rotary shelf of Tokyopop/Gollanz stuff.

If you really want manga, go to Sub City, where they have a bit more. Like well lots.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Espy

direbadger wrote:
    In Limerick
    The Comic Shop on Lower Gerald Griffin Street has a selection (sometimes good, sometimes small) of manga and anime. The animes are expensive (aren't they everywhere?) but the manga is very reasonably priced. www.thegatheringlimerick.com

Their selection of manga in there isn't very good as of late. They also slap on an extra few euros which isn't really fair. As for whatever anime DVD's they have, way too expensive.

I usually go to Eason on Cruises street/O' Connell street or else O' Mahoney's also on O' Connell street. I ordered a book(Life of Pi by Yan Mertel) in Eason before and they just DIDN'T do it. I asked and they were blank about it. So I recommend to anybody who lives in Limerick to try O' Mahoney's if you want to order a book. They usually get it within a week without any extra charge. Plus they text or ring you to let you know your order has arrived, handy out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 k89

sub city is in the corbet court shopping centre near eyre square, it is below gamestop you have to go down the stairs

• Registered Users Posts: 40 sokitume san

HMV have a lot of anime on sale at the moment - handy if you want to watch something on the spur of the moment - the one in Grafton street has a fair selection....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mark_363

I order the anime directly in from england. it takes about a month but is totally worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Carbon Blob

mark_363 wrote:
    I order the anime directly in from england. it takes about a month but is totally worth it.

Holy christ, is it shipped by carrier pigeon? I ordered a load of stuff from the States last month with international surface shipping and it took 19 days to get here. A game shipped by airmail left Canada on a Tuesday and was in my hands on the Friday morning. CD-Wow takes a week to get cds to Ireland from Hong Kong. Whenever I've bought anything off Play in the past it's generally arrived within a week, 2 at most. A month's delivery from England is absolutely insane.

Aside from that though, if anyone has a multi-region DVD player you should STRONGLY consider ordering anime from Florida. Huge selection, low prices in the American market (whose normal prices beat the UK prices anyway, and the UK prices beat ours), low enough shipping costs, AND they mark the value down for customs :)

Seriously: €27.50 for each Planetes DVD in the Forbidden Planet (if they even have it) VS €22.50 for each DVD from Play with free shipping VS €22 and about €5 shipping for the full series boxset from dvdpacific. The entire 26 episode series shipped to your door from 4000 miles away for cheaper than a single 4 episode disc in Dublin. It's crazy how much better it is, I've spent far too much money there since I came across it because everything's so cheap it's mind-blowing. Media prices in Ireland really are extortionate.

Hell even if you don't have a multi-region player, the savings you'd make from buying your stuff through these guys would justify the cost of one pretty damn quick (managed to pick one up from the local supermarket on special for like €35 last year). 3V vouchers gives you access to a credit card too, so really unless you've got an old tv that doesn't do NTSC you've no excuse! I know I sound like a shill for them, but when they got 2 seasons of non-bootleg Galaxy Angel to me in a little under 3 weeks for €40 they turned me into a bit of an ol' zealot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mark_363

Holy christ, is it shipped by carrier pigeon? I ordered a load of stuff from the States last month with international surface shipping and it took 19 days to get here.

LOL..... i must get onto them pigeons. They must be getting lost. Not a bad idea. Im going to order my stuff from there now! lol thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hisoka

Hi, just moved to Ireland from England a couple of months ago, and am desperate to get some manga!

I live in Kerry, about an hour away from Killarney. Can anyone tell me where the nearest decent manga store is, or if there is anyone in Kerry who likes the stuff.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Hisoka wrote:
    Hi, just moved to Ireland from England a couple of months ago, and am desperate to get some manga!

I live in Kerry, about an hour away from Killarney. Can anyone tell me where the nearest decent manga store is, or if there is anyone in Kerry who likes the stuff.

Thanks!

I moved from kerry to Kildare, and I can safely I only know of one store around Tralee, Easons on the Main Street.
    And I do know of a few manga/anime fans up there. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ren99

anime in ireland is so overpriced , full metal alchemists volumes for 27euro + its only on for an hour an half like most anime dvd's, the ones that are under 15 euro are the same titles they brought out years ago on vhs cyber city,appleseed,tank police etc.Tower is the only good store for anime u can see all the other stock the same old stuff , when I went too Asia/Australia last year it blew me away the amount of shops that just sold anime/manga,had everything sountracks, models, t-shirts, i know it will never be like that here the fan-base is too small+stock is so overpriced, your better off downloading stuff from Limewire or check out animecastle.com its great has everything, its easy to get stuff nowadays cos the internet but I remember waiting for Game to open to get my latest video of Guyver. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Just to let you guys know, their is a brilliant sale on a t rightsuf at the moment: http://www.rightstuf.com/mail-templates/12days-2006/index.shtml

I got:
    Elfen Lied DVD Collection (Thinpack)
    Excel Saga DVD Complete Collection (Thinpack)
    Full Metal Panic? FUMOFFU DVD Complete Collection (Thinpak)
    Outlaw Star Complete Collection DVD
    X TV Series Remix DVD Set (1-5)

for 140 euro, including shipping (which was $27 but at those prices who cares!). With the doller in its weakened state this looks like its going to be a very merry xmas around my house! It ends on christmas eve btw. (If only I was'nt from a large family, I could afford that samurai champloo box too....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Rodimus Prime

Just import. I pick up all my anime dvd's for peanuts off ebay.

Genrally if you are picking them up for cheap on ebay, they are pirate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Rodimus Prime

I can tell you now, everything i've picked up is 100% authentic. Just use common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Infernon

Killarney
    The Director's Cut,
    Killarney Outlet Centre,
    Killarney.
    Not a wide choice of anime,but they are the only ones in town who sell that stuff.I saw such famous anime such as Evangelion,Neon Genesis and Chobits but that's about it.Check it out if you'll ever be in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 igtica

Ow wthis is really useful Having only just moved here from the UK, it's one of those things where I just don't know where to look other than the obvious places like borders and waterstones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Blargg

I've given up on buying anime and manga in Limerick. O'Mahoney's carries a handful of manga, and HMV carries the most famous anime, but they're both far more expensive than buying online. www.play.com is the only site I use, as they're cheap, and they have a decent enough selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

I'm heading up to Dublin Friday morning, and leaving Saturday afternoon.
    I'm looking forward to getting some manga I don't have. ^^
    So basically, with Forbidden Planet and Tower Records you can't go wrong?
    What series do they have? Also, what figures and plushies?
    Any help is appreciated! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Mcj metroid

in limerick? Anyone?

I'm heading up to Dublin Friday morning, and leaving Saturday afternoon.
    I'm looking forward to getting some manga I don't have. ^^
    So basically, with Forbidden Planet and Tower Records you can't go wrong?
    What series do they have? Also, what figures and plushies?
    Any help is appreciated! :)

Easons and chapters also stock a sizable range (check the second hand part of chapters too, might stumble upon a bargain).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Gambra

Blargg wrote:
    I've given up on buying anime and manga in Limerick. O'Mahoney's carries a handful of manga, and HMV carries the most famous anime, but they're both far more expensive than buying online. www.play.com is the only site I use, as they're cheap, and they have a decent enough selection.

O'Mahonys is pretty good for it, TokyoPop stuff only though (three full stands as of yesterday). Online is yer only bet for it I'm afraid. HMV have a single DVD of Final Fantasy Unlimited (Volume 4 i think) for 40 quid!! Nuts..

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

o'mahonys aren't as good as they used to be, they have pushed all the manga in with the comics and they don't have the same range that they had 2yrs ago. normally they only have tokyopop stuff in stock, i looked for a dark horse release a couple of months ago and it would have been cheaper to get it shipped from the states than get it there.
    as for anime, i know its sad to say but its always cheaper online.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 prisoner42

forbidden planet is definitely the best on the list but does anybody know if there are ever any anime expo's in ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

prisoner42 wrote:
    but does anybody know if there are ever any anime expo's in ireland

Have a look at the 2 threads below this one, i believe that'll answer your question

Advertisement