Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

sheikha wrote: »
    I am interested if any board readers have any "Frank Snaps" related photos from the early 70's? -

Ask and ye shall receive.

cuil.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

This is a long shot but.. does anyone know who was the signwriter who did posters for all the events held in Ballyb in the seventies and eighties. He (I assume a he!) had a very distinctive spray paint bubble art style. All sorts of events were advertised but mostly discos in the Atlantic (Horans) etc

Does any one have pictures of the poster art? The posters would appear in windows such as JD's and Fitzgeralds shop.

Thanks
    Rev BJ.

I saw this pic for the first time today. :eek:

Is that outcropping part of the Cliff Walk? Just north of the Virgin Rock?

zzzBallybunionSeaRescueCentreStormDamage_large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,700 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The wave is breaking over what is known locally as Clancy's Quarry, north of the Cliff Walk.

BPKS wrote: »
    The wave is breaking over what is known locally as Clancy's Quarry, north of the Cliff Walk.

Clancy_s_Quarry.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kerrymayo

I have just re-discovered this forum again after reading it frequently a couple years ago. Thought I had signed up then, but apparently not. Anyway, here I am now and it looks like there's not much action here anymore? What's happening in BallyB? Not looking likely that I'll be there this year either, more's the pity. Maybe next year. My connection to BallyB is through my grandfather. He was from Farranpierce actually and I still have some distant relations in and around the area. Hope to see some more postings and love seeing the pictures.
    If I can figure out how to post pictures, I will, but for now have some catching up to do reading back posts that I've missed.

kerrymayo wrote: »
    If I can figure out how to post pictures, I will, but for now have some catching up to do reading back posts that I've missed.

Welcome, kerrymayo. It has been quiet around here lately. I'm seriously considering heading back to Ireland and Ballybunion this summer so there will be plenty of pictures here before all too long.

As far as posting pictures goes, basically all you have to do is sign up for an account at any free photo hosting site, upload your pics to that site, and then that site gives you a link to your pictures. Paste that link here at the Ballybunion Thread and you're good as gold.

Thanks Snow Scorpion!

I have been diligently working on my photos for a long time now, getting them identified, dated and backed up in several places. But I am so far behind in that endeavor! I have a couple from Ballybunion already downloaded on my computer, will have to get them on a photo site yet and then we'll be rolling.

Last time I was there was 2007, so it's been awhile.

Okay, let's see if this works.
    If it does, you will see a photo that I took in July 2007 in Farranpierce where my grandfather was born and raised.

Well, apparently, I cannot post the pictures as it says I am a new user. So, when my probationary period is over......... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

dont worry KY/MO .... it will be worth waiting for.

As a perm resident in Ballyb, if there are any photos you want me to take (fav walking / sitting spot, your grannys old house, etc) pls let me know, and I will take that photo. (I am a bit slow to get things done, but I do have my moments of speed, so you might get lucky!)

Here is the link to the latest Ballybunion Newsletter
    http://www.ballybunionnews.com/Issue%208%20April%2025th.pdf

And I can recommend my friend Jason (aka Ballybunion Beach Prints) who takes photos nearly every day and they can be seen on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/ballybunionprints.beach .

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Anyone had any dealings with Dillon Car Sales in Listowel? (I know this is Ballyb thread but chancing my arm)

Great video made in Ballyb recently ..... all local talent .....

Ladies and Gents, its Pharrell Williams - Happy in Ballybunion !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFcONb8LDGI

Well that was one way to get me to finally hear this song.

Good video, everyone looks like they're having fun....and happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

How was the bank holiday weekend down there weather wise, many around ?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

juneg wrote: »
    How was the bank holiday weekend down there weather wise, many around ?

Just back up tonight was a quiet enough weekend now I must say weather wasnt the best! Hopefully nicer one for June weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Just back up tonight was a quiet enough weekend now I must say weather wasnt the best! Hopefully nicer one for June weekend.

Oh I hope you are right. I don't like the cold in the mobile.
    Roll on the next heatwave

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

juneg wrote: »
    Oh I hope you are right. I don't like the cold in the mobile.
    Roll on the next heatwave

Yes definitely it just makes ballybunion so much nicer when the sun is shining. Listening to the rain hit off the mobile last night would put you to sleep though haha!

Lots of painting and sprucing going on around the place. The Badger Kellys will re-open as The Ocean Hostel, with about 30 hostel beds upstairs. There is a nice piece of brickwork going on the ground in Ozone terrace (at entrance to footpath to beach) and the wall all along there got a fresh coat of whitewash.

This weeks newsletter ...
    http://www.ballybunionnews.com/Issue%2011%20May%2016th.pdf

Ballybunion is 2 feet above sea level?

http://veloroutes.org/elevation/?location=ballybunion%2C+kerry+ireland&units=e

The cliffs are what? 70 feet?

Is the town itself 70 feet below the cliffs?

• Advertisement

lol .... the beach might be 2ft above sea level, but you are spot on Snow, the cliffs are 70-80ft and the whole town is about this level above the sea. If you go inland a couple of miles, just as far as the Ferry Bridge (Cashen) then all the land around there is at sea-level, and often floods when the tide is high and the wind / rain is in the wrong direction.

:confused:

The website seems to be giving the longitude and latitude of the barrack.

That lat long is somewhere on main st. The map is not that accurate. I would say its prob the Post Office, as this is considered the centre of each towns / city.

Voting day here in Ballyb (and the rest of Ireland). Local and European elections. I will let you know who gets in ....

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Ballybunion is 2 feet above sea level?

http://veloroutes.org/elevation/?location=ballybunion%2C+kerry+ireland&units=e

The cliffs are what? 70 feet?

Is the town itself 70 feet below the cliffs?

You are correct snow scorpion! According to OSI most of Ballybunion is 100 ft above sea level.

I think the website must be broken! Carrantouhill is also shown as 2ft above sea level!
    http://veloroutes.org/elevation/?location=carrantouhill%2C+kerry+ireland&units=e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Heading dowm for the bank holiday weekend. Anything going on this weekend? Cant find any pretence of an online world

• Registered Users Posts: 25 rob_j_l

Nothing as far as I know

as far as I know, there is nothing on this weekend that wasnt on last weekend. There will be pubs with music, and nightclubs, and I heard there is a guest DJ in JD's

I think there is a golf classic on monday ....

check out the newsletter. it wont open properly for me this week, so i cant give a summary ....
    http://www.ballybunionnews.com/Issue13.pdf

Kilcoolies (aka O'Connors) is having their 50th anniversary, and there are many treats planned for Fri & Sat, including a long night of trad irish music & set dancing .....

• Advertisement

Advertisement