Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

And we got some new sign-posts too ....

ik9w.jpg

"Ozone Terrace" I love it!

Nice old style signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

cool name, eh? I thought 'ozone' was invented when we discovered what the cfc's were doing over the poles ..... but I am told that Ozone Terrace has been in Ballyb for decades!

Anyone know how old this terrace is? (there is an online ref to this terrace and a photographer from the 1930's, but I dont see any pics.....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

"Ozone Terrace" I love it!

Nice old style signs.

Love the makey uppey Irish word for ozone too.

Anyone know how old this terrace is? (there is an online ref to this terrace and a photographer from the 1930's, but I dont see any pics.....)

Its there a long time. It appears on the OS historic 25" map series which was surveyed in the 1890's. I reckon the terrace was built the same time as the railway in the late 1880's.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

Love the makey uppey Irish word for ozone too.

Sadly that's the way Irish (language) has gone it seems. If you listen to the Irish news on RTE most of it just English words with an Irish sound effect. Eg: a car is now a"carr" but when I was a young fella a car was a gluaistean. Sad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

UpTheAshes wrote: »
    Sadly that's the way Irish (language) has gone it seems. If you listen to the Irish news on RTE most of it just English words with an Irish sound effect. Eg: a car is now a"carr" but when I was a young fella a car was a gluaistean. Sad.

I was in Presentation primary school for the referendum & they had pics of animals on the wall. The normal cat, dog, pig, cow etc they had both sionnach & madra rua for fox.
    But then I saw pine marten.....cat crainn, a tree cat! That's taking the proverbial just a little I think

The victorians thought that Ozone responsible for the sea air. In fact Ozone is a poisionous gas.

The following is from QI.com

MYTHCONCEPTIONS: OZONE-BY-THE-SEA by Mat Coward

THE MYTH: Seaside air is good for you because it is full of the health-giving gas, ozone, which gives coastal areas their characteristic smell. Go on, boy, get your nose out of that book and open your lungs up!

THE "TRUTH": The seaside doesn't smell of ozone - it smells of rotting seaweed, which releases a mixture of sulphur compounds. This is the odour which mid-Victorians mistook for ozone. Their error was great news for entrepreneurs in seaside towns; “Ozone Hotels” can still be found in Australasia. Ozone, an allotrope of oxygen, was first identified in 1840. For decades it was viewed by many medical scientists as a cure-all, which could be used in enclosed spaces, where the danger of infection was greatest, to neutralise disease-causing effluvia. Gradually, the miasma theory of disease was displaced in the consensus by the germ theory, and ozonisation fell from fashion. The myth of the ozone-rich sea breeze, however, has lived on in folklore. One thing’s for certain: a good lungful of pure ozone would do your respiratory system irreparable damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

THE "TRUTH": The seaside doesn't smell of ozone - it smells of rotting seaweed, which releases a mixture of sulphur compounds.

from Seinfeld:

KRAMER: You know the way you smell when you first come home from the beach? Well, I want to make a cologne that captures the essence of that smell.

STEVE: That is the dumbest idea I have ever heard. Do you think people are going to pay $80 a bottle to smell like dead fish and sea weed? That's why people take showers when the come home from the beach. It's an objectionable offensive odour.

c008.gif

Twas a cold night in Ballyb last night. Temp down to single figures ( ..... 5c is about 40f , for all you Fahrenheit converts!) . Trees are loosing their leaves rapidly now. Its nice and brights & dry now, with clear blue skies. But I needed a jacket when walking the dogs this morn. I will try and get a pic today. Hope everyone is enjoying the autumn / fall, where-ever you are ;-)

some more photos from around (ie 'near') Ballyb ....

Horse race on the beach at Asdee
    re8p.jpg

The Ladies Walk (near Ratoo Tower)
    c2x7.jpg

Ratoo Tower
    28hh.jpg

view over hills to Tralee / Feinit
    mabk.jpg

Autumn strikes in Ballyb (not many deciduous trees around here!)
    kqe3.jpg

another sign ....
    4mnd.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 jezzag

Nice pics Rider. Is the ladies walk the road up from the pig bridge towards the bally duff/ ballyb road?
    some more photos from around (ie 'near') Ballyb ....

Horse race on the beach at Asdee
    re8p.jpg

The Ladies Walk (near Ratoo Tower)
    c2x7.jpg

Ratoo Tower
    28hh.jpg

view over hills to Tralee / Feinit
    mabk.jpg

Autumn strikes in Ballyb (not many deciduous trees around here!)
    kqe3.jpg

another sign ....
    4mnd.jpg

jezzag wrote: »
    Nice pics Rider. Is the ladies walk the road up from the pig bridge towards the bally duff/ ballyb road?

Thx.

The pig-bridge is just off the Ladies Walk. AFAIK the LW goes from just after the Ferry Bridge, past the back of Ratoo tower, and on to the Ballyduff / Abbydorney road (comes out at Crossaigh (sp?) Nat School). That wood-tunnel in my pic is about 20 feet from the pic of Ratoo tower .

Weather lovely here at the moment. Cool & dry. Fantastic blue skies. I hear we are in for a bad winter .... at least I have a load of turf ready ;-)

Work has started on new house(s) at the bottom of the Glenn Road (Ladies Beach)
    t57q.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jezzag

That's it, it does indeed come out on the Abbeydorney road. Looks like its been resurfaced recently. Must pop up and take a look at the work on the beach soon.

Concrete being poured for the retaining wall on the new house/apartment on the Ladies Beach (bottom of Glen Road and Seaweed Baths visable on the right)

zdwv.jpg

sorry I have been so quiet lately. not getting out much, so not much news to put in here.

So, just wanted to pop in and wish all the Ballybunioners and all the readers of the BB Thread (here & abroad) a very merry Christmas, and I hope you have a great time over the coming weeks. Please post a few pics / thoughts / wishes over the season and let us know what you are up to!

Did ya know ..... St Nick is buried in Ireland (Co Kilkenny I believe). Thats 2 saints buried in ireland with international holidays named after them.

tumblr_myb0cizCYu1s4rxcyo1_500.png

another makeover on a vacant property. This is Maudie Costello's shop (opposite the St Joes school on Doon Rd)

ezl8.jpg

Well, we're a consistent lot. I'll say that for us.

Ballybunion Thread View Count
    • 2012: 31,906 views - 87 views per day
    • 2013: 31,296 views - 86 views per day

2014.jpg

Sad news ... Molly Miller has passed away. Some of you may remember little Molly who sang like a bird for years in the hotel. She is a part of Ballybunion as much as the golf course and the castle. May she rest in peace.

More sad news .... Owen Liston (father of Eoin 'Bomber' Liston) has passed on. Funeral was tonight (I think). Big boots to fill ....

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

How is the beach after the recent storms? and the lifeboathouse too. Saw some pictures on the internet of damage

The beach took a battering. Lots of debris / flotsam (or is it jetsum?) washed up. There was an awful lot of sand removed by the sea and areas of the beach / rocks / paths exposed that have not been seen in years. The rescue boathouse had its doors badly damaged (2 of the 3 were totally removed by the waves, and the other was just plain damaged). A lot of the equipment (and 1 boat) was removed days before the surge , so thankfully the only damage was to the doors themselves.

The town has really banded together and there are a few outings to clean up beaches and shovel sand out of the buildings on the beach. There are several fund raising events organised by the good folk of Ballyb in aid of the sea rescue. There is an auction of items donated, table quiz, food day (and night) and the proceeds of one nightclub entance fee will be doanted too. The weekend of 7 / 8/ 9 Feb will be a big one.

See the newsletter for more details http://www.ballybunionnews.com/Issue%2043%20January%2017th%202014.pdf

Also, there are some pics here of the actual wave that did the damage (or a pic of waves within 5 - 10 mins of the culprit!) here (Boards Thread - Engineering) http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057120895

Sorry for not being more pro-active with events. The wave & stuff have been all over Facebook (and on the RTE news too!) so I got a bit lazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Thanks for reply, That's some wave alright!
    I had seen some pictures around too. Was there a house/ apartments being built on the ladies beach this Summer. That would be terrifying during a storm surely?

there is a house (or 2) under construction over by the cliff side ..... but there is only a retaining wall by the cliff (Goat Island) side. No brickwork gone up yet, so no damage that I can see. The small grass hill & wall at the top did stop a lot of the force. I hope they keep it! It would be rather scary living there when the house is finished, but these conditions are rare. Its not like it going to happen every year.

oh Snow !!! thats fab !! Have seen photos of the monorail around town etc, but its FAB to see it moving!

Have you seen the re-created monorail in Listowel? Its a full size engine and 1 carrage and runs on 100m of track. Open to the paying public (in summer anyway) for kids (and kids-at-heart) to ride on.

Have you seen the re-created monorail in Listowel? Its a full size engine and 1 carrage and runs on 100m of track. Open to the paying public (in summer anyway) for kids (and kids-at-heart) to ride on.

"Kids-at-heart" ... a polite way of saying "immature." You're talking my language now, Rider. :D Haven't seen it yet. Maybe in August. (At least, that's my plan right now.)

Anybody who missed seeing Ballybunion on RTE, here might be a second chance for you. (If it works. Sometimes the internet gets fussy about letting you watch TV shows from other countries.)

Click on the show for January 22 here:
    http://www.outofirelandtv.com/

This is how we get the Irish news here in New York. The first 15 minutes of the show are highlights from RTE news and the last 10 minutes are some story of interest to Irish and Irish-Americans.

thx for the link Snow. The video loads and plays ok for me! I just watched the first 30 seconds to check and then saw the running time .... I will come back to it when I have a free 20 mins (and when the kids are off the xbox live and I have some bandwidth).

I will get some pics / clips of the Listowel monorail machine in action, if I can ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 sheikha

I have just discovered this forum and it is great. Have wonderful memories of holidaying in Ballybunion in the 60's and 70's. Saw the photo of Maudie Costelloe's shop. My family rented a lodge from her on the Doon Road and I spent many happy hours in her shop -the excitement of going behind the counter remains with my to this day. She was a wonderful, cheery, big hearted woman. I am interested if any board readers have any "Frank Snaps" related photos from the early 70's? -

Advertisement