Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Must be a very quiet August in Ballybunion by the Sea.

a227.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

it was very quiet here. August was a bit busier than other months, but it was still quiet (if ya get me). The weather has a lot to do with it. It has rained here nearly every day for 40 days & nights! I think it was the wettest July on record, and Aug is heading for the same.

General news (with almost no details)

The Leisure Center is open this past couple of months and was going well for a while, but its gone quiet now. There is a meeting on Tues "Important meeting of members and shareholders of Ballybunnion Health and Leisure Centre will take place on Tuesday 28th of August at 8.30pm in the fitness room" (FaceBook post)

The Sea Rescue had an Open Day on the Aug weekend. They opened the doors and invited folk in to see equipment and walk around. There boats were on the beach for all to climb in and play, and there was a CPR demo too (held by yours truly & one or two others!)

The old tradition of the "15th of Aug" - traditional irish music & dancing - was to be held at the Ahafona crossroads, but there was a storm a-coming, so it was moved indoors on the night. Turns out that the storm predicted for the island turned out to be a damp squib. The south / west got away very lightly, although the east & dublin were hit with some strong winds.

The Tidy Towns are still going strong, and keeping the place looking its best. They added a new boat-flower-bed on the grass verge along the Dune road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

it was very quiet here. August was a bit busier than other months, but it was still quiet (if ya get me). The weather has a lot to do with it. It has rained here nearly every day for 40 days & nights! I think it was the wettest July on record, and Aug is heading for the same.

General news (with almost no details)

The Leisure Center is open this past couple of months and was going well for a while, but its gone quiet now. There is a meeting on Tues "Important meeting of members and shareholders of Ballybunnion Health and Leisure Centre will take place on Tuesday 28th of August at 8.30pm in the fitness room" (FaceBook post)

The Sea Rescue had an Open Day on the Aug weekend. They opened the doors and invited folk in to see equipment and walk around. There boats were on the beach for all to climb in and play, and there was a CPR demo too (held by yours truly & one or two others!)

The old tradition of the "15th of Aug" - traditional irish music & dancing - was to be held at the Ahafona crossroads, but there was a storm a-coming, so it was moved indoors on the night. Turns out that the storm predicted for the island turned out to be a damp squib. The south / west got away very lightly, although the east & dublin were hit with some strong winds.

The Tidy Towns are still going strong, and keeping the place looking its best. They added a new boat-flower-bed on the grass verge along the Dune road.

Sorry to nitpick, but its the Doon road. The boats do look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Sorry to nitpick, but its the Doon road. The boats do look great.

:confused:

As opposed to Dune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

As opposed to Dune.

I getya now.

ha ha ..... well spotted ....

Guess I spent more years reading science fiction than I did living in Ballyb (8 years here now)

There is a members & shareholders meeting in the Lesire Centre tonight. I believe the topic of discussion is to drum up sales of 3-month membership .... i guess this is a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭12april1981

Rest in peace Neil Armstrong

Today Friday 31 August 2012 Neil Alden Armstrong is been buried in his home state of Ohio here is a shot of him playing Ballybunion on one of his visits to our home town golfcourse.

img0022ng.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Leisure Centre Update:

(the newly formed members committee) are requesting volunteers for promotional purposes. Anyone interested can either private message their contact details to our Facebook page or drop them into the complex. This is the perfect opportunity for all members to come on board and safeguard the future of our Leisure Center for years to come.
    There are also plans in place for a membership drive.

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

was in ballybunion on saturday lovely place & super beach no better place on a sunny day.............but.........your chippers leave alot to be desired all of them are pretty manky looking which is a pity

Looks can be deceiving. Try any of them?

the Listowel Races have started, and the town (Ballyb) is picking up ....

weather is poor, but not the worst its been!

I have no interest in horses, so my input here on the races will be minimal (sorry).

If there is any non-horse related news, I will pass it on!

Ballbunion Sea Rescue is hosting Tastin' Ballybunion with Chef Mark Doe in the Cliff House on Sat 29th (the week after the races, when we could all do with a break) . Mark will prepare 3 courses & desert and give samples & tastings of the food. Local food producers will be there too, so if you ask nicely, you can get samples from them too!

Tickets are €10 and can be gotten from the Cliff House.

tastinbb.jpg

some previous issues (May 4th to present) of the newsletter are in:

http://www.ballybunionnews.com/page4.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

the Listowel Races have started, and the town (Ballyb) is picking up ....

weather is poor, but not the worst its been!

I have no interest in horses, so my input here on the races will be minimal (sorry).

If there is any non-horse related news, I will pass it on!

Rider,

Listowel Races ain't about horses. It's about commerce.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Irishkid

Quick Question, anyone know any properties/sites for sale in the Ballybunion town/area with a really good sea view? I have looked on the websites but done see anything. I saw the seaweed baths were an option some time ago, something like that would be great :)

Am hoping to relocate to the area but looking for the right place.

Thanks

Irishkid wrote: »
    Quick Question, anyone know any properties/sites for sale in the Ballybunion town/area with a really good sea view? I have looked on the websites but done see anything. I saw the seaweed baths were an option some time ago, something like that would be great :)

Am hoping to relocate to the area but looking for the right place.

Thanks

There's loads for sale atm, Doon House was even up for sale recently. You'll get that fab view either right near the beach, or heading up towards Doon. Best thing to do is g drive through town and see what's a out.

This weeks newsletter

http://www.ballybunionnews.com/Issue%2035%20November%209th.pdf

It contains the front-page news that a €163,000 grant from the gov will be given to the Leisure Centre so thay can change their heating system to a more efficient (and cheaper to run) system.

Let me offer many many thanks to Jimmy Deenihan and all the folk who have worked to get this thru.

last weeks newsletter ..... apologies for late post!

http://www.ballybunionnews.com/Issue%2038%20November%2030th.pdf

Leisure Centre News:
    The swimming pool will close on Saturday the 8th of December at 4pm.

The gym will be open;
    Monday - Friday: 9am - 1pm, and 5pm - 9pm
    Saturday: 10am - 2pm
    Sunday: Closed

The swimming pool will reopen on Wednesday the 2nd of January.

I believe this is to accomodate the installation of the new power-plant ...

KERRY County Council has pledged its long term support to Ballybunion Health and Leisure Centre by guaranteeing recently approved grant aid of €163,000 and giving an undertaking to keep the pool open for the next 10 years.
    Councillors voted unanimously to back the centre at Monday’s meeting of the local authority after recommendations by county manager Tom Curran, who described the current management of the leisure facility as ‘exemplary.’

What I wouldn't give to be in Ballybunion right now. I'll take the showers and those temps over the sunshine and these temps.

weatherjan2013.jpg

yup, those Ballyb weather stats look about right. Its been un-seasonably warm here the last few days.

Been quiet here too.

The only thing I can report on is Rider went to a black-tie New Years Eve party! It was cool! We all looked like James Bond (apart from the dashing good looks and vodka-martinis!) Good craic.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all Boards & Ballyb-threaders !!

(phew, glad it didnt all end in 2012 anyway!!)

• Advertisement

Ballybunion Thread for 2012:

31,906 total views average out to 87 views per day.

Advertisement