Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

thx jezzag, thats much appreciated.

However, I did do a couple of short runs since the mara, and my left foot is still giving me trouble. It might be spring before I take you up on the offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jezzag

Theres no rush, we're there every week! Sat morning runs this time of year are generally on the beach down to the Cashen and back if the tide is out enough.

Other Ballyb news:

There is a craft fair on in community centre on the 10th or 11th Dec (not sure exact date, will pay more attention to signs when I am driving by next time)

The Tintean cinema club had a showing of Bridesmaids the other night, and there were some nibbles, a fashon show and a few handbag/shoe/clothes vendors there too! A good night by all accounts (ie, according to my mrs!)

There will be a pub quiz & offer-auction on 10th in McMunns in aid of paying for Christmas lights. All are invited!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

Here's a nice run (250km) if you have a week to spare:

http://www.4deserts.com/beyond/nepal/course

There are 6 Irish lads on the 2011 one which is half way through at the moment.

correction on last post -

Community Centre Craft Fair is this Sunday (the 27th Nov)

please support, its a great fair with lots of unusual and quality stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭crazzzzy

Our 9 yr old black and tan alsatian/german shephard is missing since late Wednesday night from the Castleisland area. He answers to the name Bailey and is very friendly. If anyone has any information please let me know. I have attached a recent picture

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭A90Six

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kerryphoto

North Kerry Photographic Society (formerly Listowel Camera Club) 2012 Calendar
    North Kerry Photographic Society have published a calendar this year to raise funds for the society, it features photos from Listowel and North Kerry and can be purchased on their website for €3.
    http://nkdphotographicsociety.com/?page_id=197

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Frank165

Ballybunion's G.A.A. team, Beale contesting the North Kerry Championship against Finuge this Sunday in Ballylongford at 2. Flags flying all over town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Frank165 wrote: »
    Ballybunion's G.A.A. team, Beale contesting the North Kerry Championship against Finuge this Sunday in Ballylongford at 2. Flags flying all over town.

Ah! Blue skies in Ballybunion today! c006.gif

I wish I was there.

And A90Six returns to the fold!

• Advertisement

Issue 40 of the Ballybunion newsletter....

www.ballybunionnews.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Anybody know if there is any webcam for Ballybunion beach? I know the sea and cliff rescue guys had one in the past but I can't seem to find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 seansully

They had one but its for private use only now. Be great to have one for the town, must be one of the last seaside towns in the world not to have one. Be great asset for everyone, surfers to check out the waves, fishermen to check conditions, families to check the weather etc etc, Lahinch, Tramore, Kilkee all have one.

there used to be a webcamera on the Ballybunion Golf site, but I cant see it now. Maybe its still there, hidden under some other page / options.

The Ballyb Sea Rescue is developing a web page as we speak, and it will have a web camera pointing out to sea (located on the rescue centre on ladies beach). That website should be ready for spring 2012. I will let y'all know when its up and runing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Thanks lads. Yeah, it would be great to be able to check the surf seeing as Ballyb is my new local spot.

Issue 41 of the Ballybunion News is out.

On page 13 is a photo with the caption "The old Brosnan’s Bakery on Church Road taken in the 1950’s"

I would swear that when I was a little kid Brosnan's Bakery was in the East End where the caravans are now. Or am I remembering it wrong? :confused:

Or maybe the old bakery was on Church Road and a new bakery was in the East End.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 seansully

Be great to have the Webcam up & running again for the town & fair play to the Sea rescue for putting one up they definitely have the perfect location. Might even save lives, if people see that the waves/conditions are too much for them before they make the trip down rather than just chancing it because they drove all the way here.
    Brosnan's Bakery was located in East End opposite Buckleys Petrol Station, the building is still there. Not sure about the building in the photo its not the East End building though.

One of the best nights of the year in Ballyb.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADmgy2Muy30

Ballyb's & Kerry's oldest resident, Mike Joe Stack turned 102 last Thursday. There's a video on youtube of his centenary celebrations two years ago & he's still going strong.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cdecI7OQ8Y

He's front page news in Ballybunion News this week too!!
    http://www.ballybunionnews.com/Issue%2045%20January%2013th%202012.pdf

hi all ....

been a bit quiet here lately so I am setting myself a challenge. And it involves you!

I was thinking of taking a photo of all the shop / pub fronts on main st (both sides) and posting them up here. You could have a virtual tour! OK, google maps lets you walk down main st .... but this is good too!

Anyone got any requests for photos? I will post them here ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Victoria22

I was in Ballybunion 20 years ago and have happy memories of the village.

I'd love to hear what it's like today and how much it has changed.

The only recent picture I've seen on the world wide interweb is this:
    Hi Snow Scorpion,
    It has been 30 yrs since I was in Ballybunion. Like you, I've got very fond memories of that place. I'm hoping to go there, this year, 2012 for a holiday. I'm so looking forward to it.

If you want to see how Ballybunion looks now, go to google maps with street view. That's what I've done, and it has helped bring back old memories to me.

Hope you get to visit Ballybunion, real soon,

Regards,
    Victoria22

Victoria22 wrote: »
    Hi Snow Scorpion,
    It has been 30 yrs since I was in Ballybunion. Like you, I've got very fond memories of that place. I'm hoping to go there, this year, 2012 for a holiday. I'm so looking forward to it.

If you want to see how Ballybunion looks now, go to google maps with street view. That's what I've done, and it has helped bring back old memories to me.

Hope you get to visit Ballybunion, real soon,

Regards,
    Victoria22

Welcome to the thread, Victoria. Wow! You went all the way back to the very first post in :eek: May 2005! I've been back to Ballybunion three times since I started this thread.

Street View has been a great addition to Google Maps, I've "cyber-walked" around a lot of north Kerry thanks to it.

If you want to get an even better look at the village than Street View gives you, go over to YouTube and look for the videos I posted there under the name of "ballybunion9". I put my pocket camcorder on top of the dashboard of the car and drove around Ballyb and so you can see almost everything from Ahafona to the Coast Road.

I hope you'll stop by the thread on a regular basis.

Welcome to the thread, Victoria. Wow! You went all the way back to the very first post in :eek: May 2005! I've been back to Ballybunion three times since I started this thread.

Street View has been a great addition to Google Maps, I've "cyber-walked" around a lot of north Kerry thanks to it.

If you want to get an even better look at the village than Street View gives you, go over to YouTube and look for the videos I posted there under the name of "ballybunion9". I put my pocket camcorder on top of the dashboard of the car and drove around Ballyb and so you can see almost everything from Ahafona to the Coast Road.

I hope you'll stop by the thread on a regular basis.

Hi Snow Scorpion,

Many thanks for your welcome reply. Yes, I did start at the beginning of the thread, and have read most of them.

I'm re-considering my holiday plans, now, as there were so many posts about the Monday Night Madness (MNM) and louts.That is not what I want
    to see after going to such expense to travel to my favourite childhood haunt. I think I may have been hoping it would have stayed as beautiful, and friendly, as it used to be. So, I've decided to hold those memories close to my heart, and not hamper them by re-visiting Ballybunion, and being let down.

However, I shall still visit this board, and re-live those happy days.:)

Regards,
    Victoria22

Hi Snow Scorpion,

I wonder if you could help me, please? I would love to see a video of the last 3 miles into Ballybunion from the Duagh-side. It is a long, straight road, and one can see, and smell the sea, from that point onwards. The sea is visible from the left hand side of the road. It is the most beautiful part of the journey into Ballybunion, and one I shall never, ever, forget. I'm sorry if I'm not explaining this properly. I'm sure if I could see a video of that route, I could almost smell the sea. You've no idea of how many times I've longed to see that view, again.

Thanks in advance,
    Victoria22

I would love to see a video of the last 3 miles into Ballybunion from the Duagh-side. It is a long, straight road, and one can see, and smell the sea, from that point onwards.

Sounds like you're describing the Listowel Road. If we're thinking about the same road, I don't have the last three miles, but I do have the last mile or so going into Ballybunion.

Is this the road you're talking about?

Sounds like you're describing the Listowel Road. If we're thinking about the same road, I don't have the last three miles, but I do have the last mile or so going into Ballybunion.

Is this the road you're talking about?

Hi Snow Scorpion,;)

Many thanks for your welcome message.:) However, that is not the road I'm seeking. As far as I know, Listowel is the opposite side of Ballybunion, to Duagh. Geography is not my strong point, but, one has to pass Duagh, before you get to Ballybunion. The straight stretch of road is certainly a few miles from Duagh. Hopefully, someone else might have it.:confused:

Thanks again,
    Regards,
    Victoria22

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Hi Snow Scorpion,;)

Many thanks for your welcome message.:) However, that is not the road I'm seeking. As far as I know, Listowel is the opposite side of Ballybunion, to Duagh. Geography is not my strong point, but, one has to pass Duagh, before you get to Ballybunion. The straight stretch of road is certainly a few miles from Duagh. Hopefully, someone else might have it.:confused:

Thanks again,
    Regards,
    Victoria22

I think you must be talking about the road from Listowel (the R553), which passes through Lisselton on its way to BallyB.

Direction-wise, it's Duagh to Listowel on the R555 and then to Ballybunion on the R553.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I think you must be talking about the road from Listowel (the R553), which passes through Lisselton on its way to BallyB.

Direction-wise, it's Duagh to Listowel on the R555 and then to Ballybunion on the R553.

That's what I thought, too, but Victoria says no.

I wonder if she could be talking about the road in from Ballyduff?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

That's what I thought, too, but Victoria says no.

I wonder if she could be talking about the road in from Ballyduff?

Looks like you've got another journey ahead of you.:D

Can you incorporate the whiff of sea-air by filming it in glorious "Smellovision"?:confused:

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Looks like you've got another journey ahead of you.:D

Can you incorporate the whiff of sea-air by filming it in glorious "Smellovision"?:confused:

Going to be a very long journey seeings how I live in New York. :D

Advertisement