Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

Really? I'm confused now... are you one of the legion of man-children who lead me astray in Ballybunion park or was it someone else you were showing your sore knee to?;)

no im a priest;)

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

Oh Jayney! I sincerely hope that wasn't my doing.... I mean I know a fella would be tempted to think "why bother anymore, it couldn't get any better than this..." but thats a drastic solution to a problem suffered by many poor souls who came to Ballyb in all innocence and went home "Man-children"!.

Unless your sore knee showing in the park is a recent thing which I have to say could be construed as sinister. (Only kidding as I hope you were!):D

On a slightly different note, I didn't hear Joe Duffy today and haven't a clue about all the caffuffle on the radio but as I have many family still in Ballyb and am there for 20 mins of every weekday and hear all the locals giving out about it I have a fair idea of the Madness issue.

Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that 50% of the Madness crew would be underage. Who is serving them drink? Where is the Garda Sergeant? There is no such thing in law as a Monday Exemption and so aren't these clubs operating outside of the law? More interestingly where are the parents? But mostly where are the Gardai. Too busy harrassing decent citizens about trivia I suspect. In my time there there were certain Guards that spent inordinate amounts of time "Training" trainee guards (of the opposite sex) up around "The hill". My husband often stumbled upon them when hunting. If you ask me the decline in the behaviour of the youth is a direct function of the (further) decline (they were never brilliant in Ballyb) of the quality of the Gardai there. Too busy investing in property I hear.

Oh Jayney! I sincerely hope that wasn't my doing.... I mean I know a fella would be tempted to think "why bother anymore, it couldn't get any better than this..." but thats a drastic solution to a problem suffered by many poor souls who came to Ballyb in all innocence and went home "Man-children"!.

Unless your sore knee showing in the park is a recent thing which I have to say could be construed as sinister. (Only kidding as I hope you were!):D

I was I was,,, but the cracks 90 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

When I was a little kid, all my Kerry relatives would make a big deal about going into Ballybunion on the Feast of the Assumption "to see the 15th."

When my brother and I asked what there was to see everyone blaggarded us telling us "the 15th" was a monster that came up out of the sea.

Well, we never saw any monster... until now!

Dun...dun...dunnnn!!

• Advertisement

When I was a little kid, all my Kerry relatives would make a big deal about going into Ballybunion on the Feast of the Assumption "to see the 15th."

When my brother and I asked what there was to see everyone blaggarded us telling us "the 15th" was a monster that came up out of the sea.

Well, we never saw any monster... until now!

Dun...dun...dunnnn!!

thats mad was there a high tide,

the Ballybunion sea monster who wooda taught,

at least there is clear footage of it not like nessie,

I love the Ballybunion sea monster,

Barnacles on a log. Good movie though. The subterrainian passages under the castle are much more mysterious and interesting in a scooby-doo kind of way but no-one has had access to them in donkeys years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

... The subterrainian passages under the castle are much more mysterious and interesting in a scooby-doo kind of way but no-one has had access to them in donkeys years.

I keep hearing from some of the old-timers about how they used to go exporing in those vaults, and there is supposed to be a stairs down to them too. But I think it has all closed off / collapsed since then.

A good friend of mine put a cam-corder onto a remote control car and drove it in thru the hole thats visable from the gents beach side. But that was a few years ago and I dont think he has the video any more.

I have a vague recollection of d hubby saying he was down those stairs at one time they are inside the window on the right inside d castle. A rope used to facilitate d climb upward and was left there for anyone who fancied their chances at it when I was a teenager there but I hate heights,am not keen on d dark and panic in tight spaces so no scooby-doing for me!

ah yes.... i know those steps to the right of the window (doorway?). they are sealed off now, and only the steps above groundlevel are visable. I reckon the only way in is the hole in the side of the cliff on the left side of the green.

Not long until school is back, TW, and you get to visit Ballyb on a daily basis again!

I never did find out what float you were on in the Paddys Day parade ;-) Are you playing hard to get? lol

• Advertisement

is it possible trhe sea monster lived there

....oh .... the monster? .... I didnt think of that! Maybe, now that you mention it, I did hear something the last time I was near there..... lol

Nah I wasn't on a float - nothing so glamorous as you Rider! :p We just walked down the street with all our children and staff from Tir na nOg. I still get to go to Ballyb everyday because creches dont take holidays for the summer (Thank goodness- I dont know how I would manage without the fab folks in the creche). The small woman went for her first dip in the Ballyb H&L centre pool this morning and had a fab time by all accounts. She's still too young for a really good natter about it... I did ask her when her Daddy brought her home what she thought of the pool today and all I got was "pool.........shwim...shwim...POOL!" I think of course that for 16mths she's a genius!

As for crustacion encrusted sea-monsters on the mens beach... I've been fighting off the urge to make smutty comments about some of the ones I saw on that beach in my heyday but I am beginning to look like a bit of a slut! And I'm anything but! :D

...The small woman went for her first dip in the Ballyb H&L centre pool this morning and had a fab time by all accounts....I think of course that for 16mths she's a genius!

Glad she enjoyed it. My wife started working there this summer and she loves to see all the little kids learning to swim. Its never too early to learn to swim. I learned shortly after learning to walk myself. And so did my sons. They are like fish now ;-)

I think the H&L are reviewing their membship prices around now.... be sure to ask the next time you are in there.
    ...As for crustacion encrusted sea-monsters on the mens beach... I've been fighting off the urge to make smutty comments...

congrats! It was a sore temptation all right!

There are some sights on the beach on Tues monrning there days .... and sometimes on the streets too! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 jayo27

Anyone know of any accomodation available in the town on Wednesday and Thursday 16 & 17 Sep.

Jayo I live about 10 mins drive from Listowel and would be in a position to check a few local B&Bs here for you tomorrow when I am at work if you want. I will PM you the details of any vacancies after work tomorrow if you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 jayo27

cheers for that. The majority of racemeeting attendances have been down 20% this year so there should be some vacancies around.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jezzag

Been enjoying reading through the back pages of this thread over the last few days (its taken time, there's a lot of them...) and inspired to post.

Thanks everyone who's contributed photos etc, very informative.

Have been coming to BallyB for 12 years (I'm from England). My wife has family in the area (her parents retired back to Ballybunion from England about six years ago and we were married in St Johns 10 years ago) and we were inspired to relocate over here last year.

We're currently living just outside Listowel but I have to admit that everytime we hit the coast I am tempted to move a bit closer. Who knows, we may well do...

Keep it up!

There is now a webcamera operating on top of the Rescue Centre on the Ladies Beach. It offers 24x7 views of the beach and sea / weather conditions.

For a look go to
    www.visitballybunion.com

enjoy!

... it actually worked for me :(

Every morning I wish for one of these to decide if its worth the drive to the beach (even when I'm staying a mile away it can be difficult to know exactly what its like down there).

Sadly its coded using some microsoft specific plug-in so it won't work on my macs or linux machines...

• Advertisement

jezzag wrote: »
    Sadly its coded using some microsoft specific plug-in so it won't work on my macs or linux machines...

Yes, that is a problem all-right. The camera (&internet connection) is set up funny. It will only work on Internet Explorer (not mac, linux nor Firefox) and then, only on version 6 & 7 (it dont work on 8 yet).

Not ideal :-(

I understand what you mean about the few miles making a difference, weather-wise.
    Did you know there is a webcamera on the BallybunionGolfClub site? Pointing down some fairway beside the sea. That might give you an idea of conditions here. (I will dig out the address and post it here as soon as I find it).

Thanks for the heads up though, it might come back up again.

http://www.ballybuniongolfclub.ie/webcam.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 SevenTractors

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone knows the date of the Asdee races this year? I have been googling without any success. It's one event I always try to go to when possible.

:eek:

Does anyone know where I can get a transporter like they have on Star Trek? Ballybunion right now:

ballybrightnow.jpg

:eek::eek:

One more day like this and I'm jumping on the first plane for Shannon.

Ladies' Strand right now:

ballybsept10half3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Ballyb Rescue

Hi all,
    Ballybunion Sea & Cliff Rescue are completing our annual Abbeyfeale to Ballybunion Boat push tomorrow. Departing Abbeyfeale at 08.45am and hoping to arrive in Ballyb at 6pm. We will be collecting along the way.

Please support!!

hey, Ballyb-Rescue !

sorry I missed the Push. I hope the weather was good for ya, and that you got a lot of cash on the route!

Post some pics here as soon as you can.... I know you like to take pics! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Ballyb Rescue

hey, Ballyb-Rescue !

sorry I missed the Push. I hope the weather was good for ya, and that you got a lot of cash on the route!

Post some pics here as soon as you can.... I know you like to take pics! :-)

Good day, got soaked wet for first hour but thankfully it became a great day after that. A lot of money raised but it was well back from last year. Heres some photos....

img0856xa.jpg

img0868y.jpg

img0858j.jpg

Good day, got soaked wet for first hour but thankfully it became a great day after that. A lot of money raised but it was well back from last year. Heres some photos....

Thx for the photos BR. The day looked nice in the end! Sorry I could not make it there myself. Maybe thats why the money was down on last year! lol I guess the recession is starting to bite now.

Next year we will do something better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

There is now a webcamera operating on top of the Rescue Centre on the Ladies Beach. It offers 24x7 views of the beach and sea / weather conditions.

For a look go to
    www.visitballybunion.com

enjoy!

too bad its not a naked beach :o:cool:

Advertisement