Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

I remember reading somewhere that it's the only life size statue of Clinton in the entire world.

Yes, its the only life size status on public display. There is a statue being sculpted / made at the moment in Kosovo, but at this time, Ballybunion has the only one :-)

See the Ballybunion page on wikipedia

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭A90Six

Merry Christmas to you all and may next year be way, way better than this one!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Happy Christmas to all the posters on The Ballybunion Thread!

choirbg.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

Happy New Year all! When will this terrible frost go away so I won't break my neck trying to get down to the beach for a nice long legstretching walk?! I miss walking on the beach with all this cold! Roll on Summer 2010!:p

(belated) Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year to all !!

The town elders of Ballybunion have organised a half-marathon and a 10k race (run or walk it!) for Saturday April 3rd this year, in order to stimulate a bit of economy and provide an early start point for races / training during the year.

The half-marathon will be chip timed and the whole day promises to be very profesional. The event is being organised in association with Listowel Crusaders (local running club) and Orbis (Mobile sight saving operations for 3rd world countries).

See http://www.runballybunion.com for details

So, if you are interested in running / walking / jogging this event, you can register at the above address.

Also, if you want to get sponsorship and collect some money for a very worthy cause, I can recommend Ballybunion Sea & Cliff Rescue, who is
    one of the recommended charities of this event.

If you know of anyone who visits Ballybunion during the summer, for the beach / golf / Monday-Night Madness, then would you please ask them to collect some sponsorship. BSCR will be taking delivery of a
    new boat, est. €160,000, and will be the first & only non-RNLI Rescue service with this boat. It may just be the boat you & your friends hope never to see! But if you do visit the town, or anywhere within a few miles, you can be very proud to have helped someone in need, maybe even a friend, somewhere in the future.

Also, there is a trophy for the fastest team (of 4) that raises the most money!

pm me if you want sponsorship cards.

• Advertisement

So it looks like the start line is outside SuperValu and the finish line is the barrack.

Here's what the first mile looks like. (Hope you like hill running. There's going to be people walking even before they get to the "1 Mile" sign. :D )

And here's what the second mile of the half-marathon looks like:

At the top of that long uphill, bear left at the switch:

and off you go along the Coast Road watching the windmills in the distance:

And that's all the videos I have from that neck of the woods. Somebody else will have to take up the baton from here. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briman1983

Some pics of the snow.

Excellent pics, briman! I've never seen Ballybunion look like that.

Is the second pic the Church Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briman1983

No that would be the cliff road with the park to the right.

• Advertisement

Hey Briman,

You must have been snapping while I was supping. I was having a couple in the Railway, hiding from the falling snow, when you took those shots.

Here's a few I took over the last week or so:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=190035&id=547821162&l=4fa4e9e251

Let me know if you have any trouble seeing them.

A90Six, the Main Street one and the one of the castle are especially good.

Where is The Happy Artist?

the Happy Artist is on main st. It used to be the AIB office, I think. It is to the left of the Backstage Bar (I think this is the current name of the pub, as it has changed hands / names a few times in the last few years). They are both to the left of the entrance to the Super Valu carpark.

Looks like a cool place. Always something interesting in the window.

the Happy Artist is on main st. It used to be the AIB office, I think. It is to the left of the Backstage Bar (I think this is the current name of the pub, as it has changed hands / names a few times in the last few years). They are both to the left of the entrance to the Super Valu carpark.

Looks like a cool place. Always something interesting in the window.

The Backstage, formerly Tony's 19th, formerly ... has been empty for some time now. The Happy Artist is indeed next door to it and directly opposite the bumpers (also long gone). The opening shot in the video above is taken from about twenty yards past The Happy Artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭UpTheAshes

Did anyone get a photo of.......... the White Rocks?

UpTheAshes wrote: »
    Did anyone get a photo of the White Rocks?

I tried, but failed. Maybe next year!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=190035&id=547821162&l=4fa4e9e251

I wonder who keeps checking in on this thread?

I see the thread's views jumps by several dozen every day, but none of those people looking in ever says anything.

If you're not one of the regular posters here, you do realize no one's going to bite your head off if you say hello, don't you?

funnypicturesonecatissh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Took an aerial panorama down the beach on Saturday:
    ballybunion_thumb.jpg

Click for an interactive flash panorama

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

air wrote: »
    Took an aerial panorama down the beach on Saturday:
    ballybunion_thumb.jpg

Click for an interactive flash panorama

Great photography.........you got more?

No, I took some on the golf course but the weather had turned bad by then, I may be back again soon.

• Advertisement

air, that's a very cool photo.

Did you take it from a plane or a helicopter?

Thanks for the compliment Snow Scorpion, it was taken from a helicopter.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Vipermax55

I wonder who keeps checking in on this thread?

I see the thread's views jumps by several dozen every day, but none of those people looking in ever says anything.

If you're not one of the regular posters here, you do realize no one's going to bite your head off if you say hello, don't you?

funnypicturesonecatissh.jpg
    Hi Snow scorpion
    I am one of those people who check this tread maybe once a week but seldom contribute .
    Spent the first 10 years of my life in the Bronx and the next
    12 years in Ballybunion . Moved away now but not too far so still
    visit Ballybunion every few months .

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

Gonna hit the beach tomorrow and head for the long strand and stretch the legs after this long cold winter. Can't wait for Paddys Day and McMunns to reopen (I miss my sunday lunches!).

On an entirely different note, does anyone know of anyone who would be a pilates instructor in the area? Need to organise some 1 on 1 tuition for the hubby on the advice of a consultant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

absolute cracking pic Price of a pint,

it was great being able to zoom around the place,

looking forward to the next one, get those blades spinning

Well, hello, Vipermax. It's always good to see a new name in the thread.

What part of the Bronx do you hail from?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jezzag

How's this?100_1460.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Vipermax55

Well, hello, Vipermax. It's always good to see a new name in the thread.

What part of the Bronx do you hail from?

Hi Snow Scorpion

Its a long time ago but I think it was E190 street , just off Fordam Road .
    Does that sound about right ?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

Vipermax55 wrote: »
    Hi Snow Scorpion

Its a long time ago but I think it was E190 street , just off Fordam Road .
    Does that sound about right ?

Cheers

how bout bainbridge 205st right beside the emerald

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Rider2

...On an entirely different note, does anyone know of anyone who would be a pilates instructor in the area? Need to organise some 1 on 1 tuition for the hubby on the advice of a consultant.

RiderOnTheStorm here ... cant log on to my orig account, some problem with passwords ... the admins are looking into it ... so I created a new a/c ...

anyway.... TW: there is a series of Pilates classes starting in the leisure centre soon. Registration is tomorrow (Wed night) @ 8.15
    I dont know if they do 1:1 tuition, but it would be a good place to go to find out!

Advertisement