Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrap Fair city

Options
  • 13-04-2005 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

I just want to know peoples opinions about fair city.. I recon the show should be scrapped . What can i say about fair city the actors are crap especially the children the story lines are useless they seem to me to be copying eastenders or cornation st. rantt!!! no individuality

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Well yes the actors are bloody awful! I heard somewhere that some of the actors have actually no acting experience prior to being on the show, some of them were practically taken off the street (probably just a rumour, but would explain the dyre acting).

I dont think that they should scrap it, but it needs a good kick up the arse, Ros Na Rùn has way better acting and its in Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Ahh its not that bad, could use a kick up the ass but as silas said ros na run is far supierior and the only requirement to get a part is to speak fluent irish, you dont need any acting experiance at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

The show aint realistic jimmy the mechanic he is the cleanest mechanic i ever seen when he has finished a job under the car theres no oil on his clothes..does he do any work

Whatever about Jimmy, Robin is completely unrealistic as a mechanic, she's walking around the garage with a pair of hands on her, like she's just after come out of the beauticians.

In regards to Jimmy, I think Mario Rosenstock said it best Jaysus! What a spanner!.

come on lads and girls it should be scrapped thats where our license fee is going to that damm show...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i agree, scrap something which 1,000's of viewers are obviously enjoying because we dont like it. let's petition RTÉ

or you could just not watch it

i believe our license fee should be used for better purposes instead of having a show which has no individuality just a cop out of eastenders and cornation st copying their storylines what wrong if i believe that the show should be scrapped you look at ros na run ok it is in irish but the actors are better it has characters better storylines you can associated with instead fair city is pure crap what i said about jimmy works in a garage never has a bit of oil over him after working on a car. shoody show cant wait tell its scrap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

There's several things on RTE I'd scrap sooner. For example TheLateLateShow or that 'This is your life' show with gay byrne for a start. Both probably cost more to produce than FC too considering the cast work for peanuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

There are indeed alot worst show, like the Late Late Show, Tubridy Tonight, Class Reunion, the list is endless.

Fair City is watched by thousands, they have no intention of scrapping it.

Ok, the storylines have been a little more than ridiculious for the last few months to say the least, but look at other soaps, in particular, Emmerdale, now thats a load of crap, and showed be scrapped.

come on emerdale thats a great show has a small pool of talented actor/s storylines are good...the prob for me about fair city they have a large pool of actors who are crap..the storylines could be drastically improved

• Advertisement

Actually, all the actors in Emmerdale strike me as somewhat simple, look atthe whole Dingle family, and Marlon, and his girlfriend, and Viv. And my God the whole Paddy and Viv storyline is doing my head in. Also that silly cow thats with the vicar is some annoying c*nt. Do you want me to go on?

Scrap it!

All the Fair City cast, are qualified actors, usually straight out of drama school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭gulp

fair city is crap....for some reason i find myself watching it!

come on fair city actor have not an acting bone in there body name one good character in fair city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭gulp

the actors are trained though.i know someone who has been training for years to act and he has gotten a v small part in it. They get their background ppl / actors from www.movieerxtras.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

All soap should be scraped.

Espically Eastenders and Emmerdale.
    come on emerdale thats a great show has a small pool of talented actor/s storylines are good

Emmerdale is a copy of the Riordan's/Glenroe.

SOAP IS ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I agree,all soaps suck badly,but as soaps go,Fair City is probably the worst,its even worse than those bad american soaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

The only time in years I have thought Fair city was good was when Marty Whelan was on resently....He brought a bit of class on to the show!

A little bit of class!

Does anyone remember that guy that got killed, Niamh was going out with him, they used to work together, I thought he was an ok-ish actor!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

God almighty, I can't stand Fair City! My mom watches it and was telling me about the Mondo storyline with that girl who's dad was beating her up and got her to say Mondo raped her. So I started watching then. I'm trying to get out of the viscious cycle now though because I hate the bloody thing, even though I watch it!

And what's with this yank slapper on the show? She deserves a kick up the ass with a size 12 boot!

Actually, I'm gonna go on!

That twat Lauren (the actress's dad is an actor, he was in Alexander) - she can't act at all, and that storyline between her and Mondo was just stupid.
    Her dad is an idiot, Mr. whatever his name is.

Jenny is a total stuck-up muppet and the sound of her voice just drives me up the wall.
    Her mother is the very same, she drives me up the wall.
    As for her father - my god, he's not exactly the best looking grape of the bunch now is he, and he had two women fighting over him :eek:

That wan that used to work in the sports shop who had it off with the owner, and then her and her jailed husband robbed him of loads of stuff - that was a dopey storyline.

Nicola's ex (that idiot in Blue Dolphin) was a right plonker, and as for Nicola's sister, oh she was such a drip, she can't act at all!

I could go on and on, but I'll spare ye the pain :)

And could I add one final point - what the hell is with this new crazy family? That guy Kurt is the most annoying twat ever! And as for his mother, dear god, were they that desperate to get someone to play the mother, coz she couldn't act if her life depended on it.

Ah Fair City - crap storylines, even worse actors, annoying FBD commercial thingys before the show starts (what's with some of them!?!), aaaaaaaaargh! It's a waste of a time space on the schedule of otherwise useless TV programmes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

then stop watching!!!!

• Advertisement

You will find that when you start to explain what is happening in most soap that they all are strange. Who related to who, who killed who etc.

I hate them all. 4 times a week is too much. I would rather have 1 really good hour long drama with only 22 episode then a soap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭open_book

ahh poor oul fair city isnt that bad. some of the acting really is atrocious tho. kurt the new kid, his oul lad, his oul one(all though she is gorgeous and previous to fair city was a better actress for some reason) they are a joke. and that couple dermot and the other one make me wanna throw myself into the liffey every time they come on -nag nag. that young one jenny was gorgeous aswell, and robins hands being so clean? its cos she can make nuts tighten just by looking at them! well mine anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I watch Fair City coz it's one of the few shows where you do not need to utilise your brain cells - so it gives my aul brain a rest from studying maths all day :)

By the way, this whole sub plot for Robin stuffing her face with chocolate is so stupid.

open book wrote:
    its cos she can make nuts tighten just by looking at them!
    Ya well last night she couldn't open a nut, and jimmy had to come to the rescue.

As for Kurts mother, she was in that Irish film The Magdeline Sisters and wasn't a bad actress. I guess unless your an awesome actor/actress Fair City won't make your skills look anything special, especially when the entire cast is so crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Mondo's employer has got to have the most annoying accent ever....

"Oh Mundo..you're quite the man about town now are'nt you" :(

• Site Banned Posts: 159 ✭✭Drummer

Scrap all soap operas - they are all ****e.

Cant bleev im even involving myself in an argument like this, id rather do some work like im supposed to be doing !

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

id like to see it scrapped but i doubt it will br with the high viewing figures it gets.

Must be all them dubliners watching it :D

Bodan wrote:
    id like to see it scrapped but i doubt it will br with the high viewing figures it gets.

Must be all them dubliners watching it :D
    Nah, it was targeted at the 30+ age group its only in the last while that they tried to Lure in younger actors to attract a younger audience with the likes of Jenny, Lorcan, Jenny's fella that was murdered, Kurt, Mondo, and so on.

All the actors are trained and much of them have years of stage experience. Jim Bartley has been in a few Irish movies too, as have some of the other cast.

From time to tome the storylines are sh!te but I can't see it being scrapped. The storyline are always the same at this time of the year while they build up to bigger and better storylines for the summer.

All the actors are trained and much of them have years of stage experience. Jim Bartley has been in a few Irish movies too, as have some of the other cast.

It is suprising how good they are on the stage. Stage like Radio doesn't translate to TV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

No way , fair city rocks!!!!
    Marty Wheelan appearing in it just made my day too!

Advertisement