Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart to offer 2Mb Broadband for €35 with no line rental?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

thanks man, it says on the smart website that broadband will be available here in march/april so I'm hoping their accurate on their time table :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

Eircom basic package gives you a 4 gig download limit - ntl is 30 gig - 'nough said ! - also, try hosting a 4-way skype on eircom basic - not pretty I can tell you ! i've had Ntl for a while also and no breaks in service. I assume you've tried all the vendors given that you say it's by far the most reliable ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

reece wrote:
    Eircom basic package gives you a 4 gig download limit - ntl is 30 gig - 'nough said ! - also, try hosting a 4-way skype on eircom basic - not pretty I can tell you ! i've had Ntl for a while also and no breaks in service. I assume you've tried all the vendors given that you say it's by far the most reliable ?

My first point in my post was that quality is relative. Lots of people out there just want a reliable fast service. A lot of boards users seem to forget that they are not totally typical of internet users. People who want to host a 4way skype will be savvy enough I am sure not to use Eircom. Similarly I made the point that there are a lot of people who dont require a huge download facility. I based my assessment of the isps on posts on boards and I used the word "seems" in connection with my assessment. I imagine that there have been very few people who have been in a postion to use all the providers? It is also fair to to mention that NTL is only available to very small if hopefully increasing number of users.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

reece wrote:
    Just a thought - it's amazing how so many people are getting eircom cos of that chick from No Frontiers - especially given that eircom bb is probably the worst offering on the market!!

yeah eircom are much dearer than iol and iol have better caps anyway. people are in general stupid.........

anyway, back to the original post - any of yeah thinking of jumping ship and going for Smart ? Registered for Smart about a week ago and have heard nothing since !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

What is this line rental? We all pay line rental to Eircom, are we expected to pay Smart line rental too if we're outside the 100k?

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

eirebhoy wrote:
    What is this line rental? We all pay line rental to Eircom, are we expected to pay Smart line rental too if we're outside the 100k?

No, Smart would take over your Line (through Wholesale Line Rental, WLR) you would be paying them the line rental instead of Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

LFCFan wrote:
    No, Smart would take over your Line (through Wholesale Line Rental, WLR) you would be paying them the line rental instead of Eircom.
    So if I was one of the 100,000 do I get free line rental if I go with their phone package too?

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

eirebhoy wrote:
    So if I was one of the 100,000 do I get free line rental if I go with their phone package too?

From what I can see, if you are 1 of the first 100,000 to sign up for their broadband service (and you also have to use their phone service) you will be entitled to free line rental for as long as you remain with Smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

i just signed up to it there we were told it we'd be waiting till may, sounds good, my eircom contract ended 6 days ago, so were free to look around, the lad on the phone said we'd deffo be in the first 100,000 so i'll see how it goes, were also able to bring the free line rental with us when we buy our own house, from the rented gaff were in now... the only thing i dont like is that poxy 128k upload :(:( i upload sites all the time might slow me down a bit as i have 256k upload now.. also would that mess with me if i was playing online games? baud rates etc..?

Later
    Macker

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 kenped

also would that mess with me if i was playing online games? baud rates etc..?

Macker its ISDN speed,, what do you think ??,, lets hunt for 512 kbs if you see one YELL!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

What happens if you can't get Smart's bb offering after you've signed up? Do you still get the free line rental?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Well its still €35 a month but with no BB. As normal line rental is €24 they had better throw in a Flat Rate package as well to make it up.

I think their T&C sez they wll not take you if you fail their BB test.

i dont like is that poxy 128k upload :(:( i upload sites all the time might slow me down a bit as i have 256k upload now.. also would that mess with me if i was playing online games? baud rates etc..?

I'm gaming away no problem at the moment with 128K upload - so don't worry too much about that

Advertisement