Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart to offer 2Mb Broadband for €35 with no line rental?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Wow, such an offering would definitely force IOL and Eircom into action.
    In about 8 months time....or maybe more. After all NTL offer good internet but they haven't scared €ircon, the reason being that NTL is offered in a small part of the country. How much time will LLU take before smart have a large amount of the country ready for their services? At which stage they have to tackle the utterly useless Irish consumer ESAT have the best offer yet €ircom have more broadband lines, people in this country don't shop around. Also many people who will want this will still be in their 12 month contracts with Eircom......it could take a while before Eircom react. They have no worries for at least a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

TimTim wrote:
    Well I'm living in Knocklyon and last time I checked my number passed on Eircon's and just checking Smarts site my line passed there too. Maybe your just unlucky.

I thought I was unlucky - until I checked and found I could get NTL :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Allowing for line quality, distance from the exchange etc what sort of speeds are actually likely on a 'notional' 2mb line?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Had a 2mb Eircom line in the last place I worked, used to get downloads upwards of 200k..never less then that but you prob would not get the same of a residental DSL line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

Chalk wrote:
    passes for me , says it available now....

*packs up eircom trial kit....
    and now im failing,

its just a list of enabled exchanges if anyones interested...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im failing now too:(
    was beginning to get excited over the thoughts of binning eircom for good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Smart Telecom available to me: "March/April"

Utv contract ends: April

Almost too perfect. North Main exchange btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

Fudge the contention question :

Quote :

What is the contention ratio on the Smart broadband product?
    Smart Broadband is not designed around the concept of contention. Smart Telecom owns and operates its own high-capacity fibre-optic network. As any link in the Smart network approaches capacity, it will be automatically be upgraded. Smart Broadband users will continue to enjoy the unrestricted high-speed Internet access.
    This is 100% pure cack. Smart Telecom's contention ratio will be the ratio between the total amount of bandwidth they have sold against the total amount they have bought.

Saying that there is no ratio is a beautiful lie. So big that it's hard to contradict. Reminds me of American Express claiming that their cards have no spending limit. We're all gentlemen in Amex and we don't need anything so crude as a credit limit. Off you go now and don't buy too many A380s.

I wonder what consideration Smart have given to the actual implementation of this product. A lot of the people who will be most interested in the product will be tied into a 12 month contract with their isp and even those who are not will still be required to give a month's notice of their intent to leave.

So are Smart giving any consideration to coordinating the introduction of their product in so far as communicating with the customer is involved so as to ensure that any down time over transfer etc is minimised?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Chalk wrote:
    and now im failing,

its just a list of enabled exchanges if anyones interested...

I've been saying this since the offer broke yesterday!!!

All their site tells you is that "Broadband is AVAILABLE to you" - that doesn't mean you can get it. My local exchange is enabled, but I can't get Broadband - too far away or else a crap line.

I have an awful funny feeling that a lot of people are gonna get caught by some clever wording....Stop and think first!!!!

Of course if you already HAVE broadband, then I guess there may be something in it.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Delphi91 wrote:

All their site tells you is that "Broadband is AVAILABLE to you" - that doesn't mean you can get it. My local exchange is enabled, but I can't get Broadband - too far away or else a crap line.

Mike

There is one thing going for SMART or any other provider going the unbundling route: Unlike the common Eircom or CPS customer, a local loop unbundler can demand a clean line from Eircom.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Do Eircom have an opt out clause on an unbundled line if it is uneconomic for them to clean up the line ? I'd be surprised if they didn't

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Mr_Man wrote:
    Do Eircom have an opt out clause on an unbundled line if it is uneconomic for them to clean up the line ? I'd be surprised if they didn't

M.
    I think there is a clause about technical "feasibility", but that should not be enough for a get-out. This time it is not a hapless consumer on the other side, but a competitor with clout and an economic interest. There is no technical reason not to have a line broadband ready.
    BT are 100% area covering NI, and they have not ordered more than a 100 wireless boxes.
    I've been personally told by ComReg some two years ago, that Eircom has to supply clean lines and was made to clean up lines for Esat's unbundling. ComReg have a strong case for demanding that (and might even do so!), as they have settled for a rather high Unbundling rate.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭paddyman

Maybe its all the years off been bent over for living in ireland and wanting broadband but im just waiting for something to pop up bad. This seems to good to be true, 2mb line + no line rental (if im within 1st 100k users which tbh would be hard not to do)...So as asked before me "what is the catch?"

With netsource ATM, gonna give them a call tommorrow and remind them im on a month by month rolling contract, and what do they plan to offer me to keep my custom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Paddyman,
    Let us know how you get on....

ambrose :cool:

paddyman wrote:
    Maybe its all the years off been bent over for living in ireland and wanting broadband but im just waiting for something to pop up bad. This seems to good to be true, 2mb line + no line rental (if im within 1st 100k users which tbh would be hard not to do)...So as asked before me "what is the catch?"

With netsource ATM, gonna give them a call tommorrow and remind them im on a month by month rolling contract, and what do they plan to offer me to keep my custom.

Presumably there is nothing any of the resellers can do unless Eircom make the wholesale product available to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭f1refox

Lads those any one no what cap there is with Smart. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

None, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

Just a few exchanges I tested.. Disappointing. I'm out of luck

Not available, No plan
    Ballycoolin
    Shankill (01-282\272)
    Sandyford (01-295)
    Eastpoint

Due enabled in July/August

Due enabled in March/April
    North Main (01-865)
    Santry (01-862)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Theres a smart employee in the broadband forum willing to answer questions if anyone is interested.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=224613

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

Hi Folks,
    just signed up with Smart. Won't be ready until August (when my NTL contract runs out). Got an email saying "congratulations you are one of the 100,000" - better keep that somewhere handy !!. Guess we just have to wait and see. Noted in their terms and conditions that they can change (up and down) their prices with 30 days notice - maybe a bit dodgy but will give it a go for the year. One thing though - you don't seem to get web space - guess I can put some of the €300 I will save towards the cost of hosting. They're also a bit vague about dealing with contention - "oh we'll just add more capactity when it happens". All in All, could be too good to be through - time will tell !
    reece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

just a though...
    since saving on line rental is a plus+

if your currently tied to a 12 month contract with say utv
    would you think it be worth it to cancel and pay the ballance on the 12 months if they insisted?

just a though...
    since saving on line rental is a plus+

if your currently tied to a 12 month contract with say utv
    would you think it be worth it to cancel and pay the ballance on the 12 months if they insisted?

Dont do anything hasty. Make sure you know when Smart will be in a postion to supply you before you do anything. The question of switching will I think lead to lots and lots of posts here. (I hope I am wrong by the way and that everything goes smoothly)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Good advice Dub45 :)

In many cases the 'live' dates they give are optimistic and will give you a chance to work out your 12 month contract .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

can you cancel if you aren't one of the lucky 100K or are you locked in ?

if you can't cancel, would getting rid of your phone line for a month work ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Whether in the 100k or not you may cancel at any time before your own exchange is live Cap'n . There is no penalty according to the T&C I read a few weeks back .

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

You can cancel within 7 days of implementation - so you should know whether you're one of the chosen by then. Can't see 100k takeup that quick given that alot of people are stuck in 12 month contracts. So as long as eircom keep signing up people that don't know any better, then we should all be safe ! Just a thought - it's amazing how so many people are getting eircom cos of that chick from No Frontiers - especially given that eircom bb is probably the worst offering on the market!!

reece wrote:
    ........................... - especially given that eircom bb is probably the worst offering on the market!!

Quality is relative! Not everybody wants huge caps - since BB started the Eircom product seems to have been by far the most reliable. How many threads are there giving out about Eircom speeds, breaks in service lousy accounts dept etc etc? Very few (and I hasten to add I am not an admirer of theirs but they seem to deliver the goods consistently albeit at a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

i've been with eircom bb for 15 months, and just signed up with smart. Anyone know if eircom's contract renews itself every 12 months, ie: am I in the 3rd month of another 12month contract?

• Advertisement

ando wrote:
    i've been with eircom bb for 15 months, and just signed up with smart. Anyone know if eircom's contract renews itself every 12 months, ie: am I in the 3rd month of another 12month contract?

Generally once you have completed the first 12 month contract you are on a rolling months contract after that. thats the way most ISP's operate. This means you have to give a month's notice when you want to cancel your cnntract. Make sure you dont do anything hasty in terms of cancelling your Eircom contract before Smart are in a position to connect you.

Advertisement