Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic insurance - companies & brokers

Options
13233343638

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭CoBo55


    Agricola wrote: »
    Yes, I read on here that some insurers are very specific about only taking cars to shows etc but I confirmed with Campions that this is a social/domestic type policy which means you can use the car whenever you like as long as it's not for commuting/work and you adhere to the mileage limit.
    Brilliant thank you.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭User1998


    Could anyone recommend a classic insurance company that might insure a 17 year old Mercedes SLK?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine


    User1998 wrote: »
    Could anyone recommend a classic insurance company that might insure a 17 year old Mercedes SLK?

    Not likely I am afraid.

    The car is neither classic yet, or rare. You will have to wait until it is 20 years old I imagine.


  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭CodeJACK


    Alkers wrote: »
    Has anyone got an autoline policy while only a named driver on another car?
    My daily is a motorcycle so I have a policy on that also.
    Do the autoline policies accumulate NCB?




    Did you ever find an insurance policy with the motorbike as your primary transport?


    Ive not have my classic insured for two years now and will start looking in the morning. Due to the bike being my only other vehicle, I couldnt get insured by anyone in the past but by joining Irish Vintage Society, FBD would insure me for show use.
    Is this still my only option?


  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭CodeJACK


    Seems I might be slightly screwed for insurance. FBD not returning my calls and AutoLine wont insure without a car policy as primary transport.


    I'll have to buy and insure some oul ****box for thousands, just so I can get ripped on my classic insurance.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭CoBo55


    CodeJACK wrote: »
    Seems I might be slightly screwed for insurance. FBD not returning my calls and AutoLine wont insure without a car policy as primary transport.


    I'll have to buy and insure some oul ****box for thousands, just so I can get ripped on my classic insurance.

    You always needed a main car with its own policy to get classic insurance.


  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper


    [FBD staff like all insurance staff are were possible worki bc from home , not all of them on phone lines as phone signals are crap in the countryside most of the time before WFH. Classic car team has 12 members so if 6 have phones then callback will be delayed. If you send an email to the nearest branch they can relay email direct to vintage team. ie..fbdcastlebar@fbd.ie ..change Castlebar to town name required.

    quote="CodeJACK;113433820"]Seems I might be slightly screwed for insurance. FBD not returning my calls and AutoLine wont insure without a car policy as primary transport.


    I'll have to buy and insure some oul ****box for thousands, just so I can get ripped on my classic insurance.[/quote]


  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭CodeJACK


    CoBo55 wrote: »
    You always needed a main car with its own policy to get classic insurance.




    I didn't in the past with FBD. They accepted I was a named driver on my wife's policy


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow


    Autoline rang me up today, just to renew the 2, I have with them. Price went up by 160 EUR because I now don't have them in a garage, but instead in a closed yard/compound, but they matched last years pricing anyhow.

    Now these are both over 30 years old.

    So I've got a VW Bus, that's just gone over the 20 years, but they won't insure that because it's a 7-seater. Fair enough, I know, where I can get that insured.

    On the question about the M5, which also turned 20 last year and is going back on the road this summer hopefully: no issue whatsoever.

    Now, here is the thing: yes, the policy has changed, that you can't get classic insurance with Autoline on anything under 25 years, BUT .. because I have the that are vintage and I'm adding it to that policy, it's no issue.

    Literally the best place to get a classic/vintage vehicle insured.

    /M


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi


    Marlow wrote: »
    On the question about the M5, which also turned 20 last year and is going back on the road this summer hopefully: no issue whatsoever.

    You still have the M5 :cool:


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow


    jozi wrote: »
    You still have the M5 :cool:

    And the Fairlady. I don't sell much. And the ones that I do sell, I badly regret.

    /M


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi


    Marlow wrote: »
    And the Fairlady. I don't sell much. And the ones that I do sell, I badly regret.

    /M

    If you have the space then why not!

    I remember it from one of the first Classic weekly meets I went on (must be 2010) up in the mountains years ago :o


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow


    jozi wrote: »
    If you have the space then why not!

    I remember it from one of the first Classic weekly meets I went on (must be 2010) up in the mountains years ago :o

    In around that. I have that M5 since 2009, when it was 10 years old.

    /M


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi


    Doesn't seem like a decade ago!

    Anyhow, apologies for derailing the thread :rolleyes:


  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1


    Have a month left to renew car insurance and best quotes so far are Allianz also 123, been told to try allianz through Hibernian.
    Anyone had any dealings with 123.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1 noel23


    This question has been beat to death but ive read through about 30 pages trying to get some more info on this.... so im 25, i have my own commercial policy on my van but i also have a 95 rx7 (jap import that is box standard which i bought when i was 16 as im a genuine entusiast not a tyre burner) that im looking to insure,

    now i know its pretty much out of the question just ringing up insurance companies for a quote but is there any way or 'loophole' for a better word, that could get me insured such as:

    1. insuring my father and being a named driver?
    2. Having my father insure it on fbd/campion on open drive as i think someone said anyone between 25-70 can drive it then?
    3. take out a private policy on my van and use third party extension and have my father insured on the rx7?
    4. do the same as the 3rd point but instead of a van i use a car? does 3rd party cover allow driving classic cars?
    5. being put on trade insurance (my uncle and cousin both own car sales business' and garages)(last resort)

    do any of these work or is my only actual option wait another 5 years?

    ANY help is really appreciated
    Thanks in advance


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭CoBo55


    noel23 wrote: »
    This question has been beat to death but ive read through about 30 pages trying to get some more info on this.... so im 25, i have my own commercial policy on my van but i also have a 95 rx7 (jap import that is box standard which i bought when i was 16 as im a genuine entusiast not a tyre burner) that im looking to insure,

    now i know its pretty much out of the question just ringing up insurance companies for a quote but is there any way or 'loophole' for a better word, that could get me insured such as:

    1. insuring my father and being a named driver?
    2. Having my father insure it on fbd/campion on open drive as i think someone said anyone between 25-70 can drive it then?
    3. take out a private policy on my van and use third party extension and have my father insured on the rx7?
    4. do the same as the 3rd point but instead of a van i use a car? does 3rd party cover allow driving classic cars?
    5. being put on trade insurance (my uncle and cousin both own car sales business' and garages)(last resort)

    do any of these work or is my only actual option wait another 5 years?

    ANY help is really appreciated
    Thanks in advance
    2 and 5 would be the options I'd go for in your case I don't think the insurance companies will accept a commercial policy as the main policy.


  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭CodeJACK


    CoBo55 wrote: »
    You always needed a main car with its own policy to get classic insurance.




    FBD sent me out a quote today in the post. Same as before so I will renew with them. Policy only states that the car must not be my primary mode of transport, for which it is far from.


    Sorted


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket


    30+ Male, Have an everyday car and policy in my own name.

    78 Ford 2.0
    86 Ford 2.0, the specs dont seem to really matter to them when the car is over 30 years

    Carole Nash through AXA
    Fully Comp, 200 excess excess, 5000 Miles, €420 for both (ish, was hurrying to keep up with details)
    Fully Comp, 200 excess excess, 5000 Miles, €309 for 1 car only (ish, was hurrying to keep up with details)

    The guy on the phone emphasized if I get a cheaper quote, call him back....

    FBD
    Fully Comp, 5000km (I think), €225 for 1 car without club membership, Wanted copy of everyday policy and my "full no claims bonus" which unfortunately still spans 2 EU countries....
    Fully Comp, 5000km, €203 with club membership proof, asking for details of club membership number etc, might be an Irish Vintage Scene/Society type membership needed which would in it'self cost some money.

    Rang back Carole Nash telling them of cheaper quotes elsewhere, ended up with Carole Nash with both cars for €280 ish, and that includes a named driver over 25+ with their own clean license/policy, I'm happy with that


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,643 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha


    CodeJACK wrote: »
    Did you ever find an insurance policy with the motorbike as your primary transport?


    Ive not have my classic insured for two years now and will start looking in the morning. Due to the bike being my only other vehicle, I couldnt get insured by anyone in the past but by joining Irish Vintage Society, FBD would insure me for show use.
    Is this still my only option?
    CodeJACK wrote: »
    FBD sent me out a quote today in the post. Same as before so I will renew with them. Policy only states that the car must not be my primary mode of transport, for which it is far from.


    Sorted

    Codejack did FBD accept your motorbike as your daily driver? Im in the same position with a motorbike and a named driver on anothers cars policy but thinking of getting a classic to use the odd time for cold and rainy days over the winter.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭DarraghR


    25 Plus - €398.39 Comprehensive Extra

    35 Year Old Male
    Dublin Based
    8 Years No Claims
    Full Licence for 4 Years
    Hyundai i30 1.4

    This is a good €150 the cheapest I have ever gotten but could I do better ;) ???

    Already got quotes from AnPost, Blue Insurance, Chill, Zurich and Campion


  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭CodeJACK


    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Codejack did FBD accept your motorbike as your daily driver? Im in the same position with a motorbike and a named driver on anothers cars policy but thinking of getting a classic to use the odd time for cold and rainy days over the winter.




    Sorry for the late reply. Yes, FBD accepted the bike was my primary transport but like you, I also had to be a named driver on my wife's car.
    Read the details on the FBD policy clearly, if I read it right, you are legal on the road but covered for very little. My yoke is an American car and I've heard bad experiences from others trying to get FBD to pay for repairs. I dont really care on mine as its not exactly a minter


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast


    Does anyone have any idea what my chances are of getting classic insurance on a mk1 TT?

    I have a classic policy on my 97 Prelude with Autoline up the North for the past few years but from what I understand they've gotten very strict on what they consider a classic these days.

    I'm looking at an 04 225 but I'm weary about whether or not I'll be able to insure it for reasonable money.

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    Edit. I've two other policies on the go as well, one commercial, one private.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine


    Sorry, can't see it qualifying for a classic policy on any criteria at the moment..

    Autoline will probably take it once its reaches 20 years old, but nobody else will touch it. Recently tried to insure a 99 fiesta, no southern insurance company wanted to know, even Carole Nash would not put in on my existing classic policy.

    Autoline did cover it though no bother, but they are strict on the 20 year rule.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast


    Thank you very much for the reply. I thought as much myself tbh. This country is a nightmare for car owners.
    Even the crowd up North have have changed their rules recently and won't insure Japanese cars under 25 years old. I was lucky I got in when I did.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow


    Even the crowd up North have have changed their rules recently and won't insure Japanese cars under 25 years old. I was lucky I got in when I did.

    Erhh .. no ... that for ALL classic cars with (Abbey) Autoline. Not just japanese. It's because they changed underwriter.

    I managed to get my BMW M5 in at 20 years at the start of the year and only as part of an existing policy, because I already have a 45, a 35 and a 31 year old car with them. They obviously continue to honour existing active policies.

    /M


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast


    I think I'll give them a shout tomorrow and see if I can work something out with them, maybe they'll cut me some slack as an existing customer.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow


    I think I'll give them a shout tomorrow and see if I can work something out with them, maybe they'll cut me some slack as an existing customer.

    I renewed before the name was changed to AbbeyAutoline. And honestly .. their involvement with Prestige Insurance is really bad news. They are the most useless UK underwriter.

    So there's a good chance, they just won't consider anything younger than 25 years old now at all.

    /M


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast


    This is gonna break my pal's heart altogether. I promised I'd sell him the Prelude if I get the TT insured on a classic policy.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine


    Marlow wrote: »
    Erhh .. no ... that for ALL classic cars with (Abbey) Autoline. Not just japanese. It's because they changed underwriter.
    /M
    Marlow wrote: »

    So there's a good chance, they just won't consider anything younger than 25 years old now at all.

    /M

    As mentioned, I took out a new policy with them just a couple of weeks ago on a 21 year old car. (Not a Jap import). So they are definitely taking on new business with cars less than 25 years old. 20 years old seems to be the youngest they will accept for new business.

    They had changed over to AbbeyAutoline when I took out my policy too.


Advertisement