Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your A Star

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

hmm, Moby are you on the same planet as the rest of us. The reason Linda Martin slagged them off last night is because she was involved in the picking part like last year. But, she was right, Aine cant sing a note in tune, terrible stuff indeed. That sinead one wasnt all that either, just another fly on the wall. Peter is a great singer, but looks awful and as I've known him for quite a few years i can honestly say the man is an ego maniac. What i have to laugh about is the ejit judges going on about, oh that performance could win the eurovision, RUBBISH. Ireland wont get out of the semi-finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Poz3D

I think that the Henry Girls or the McCauls would be the best choice. I can see the Henry Girls getting through if they get a Celtic-sounding song that suits their band. In my opinion, that would the best type of entry to send into the Eurovision.

On the other hand, of course, I'd like to see the McCaul's winning (seeing as how Joe is in the same school as me in Athlone).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Christ arguably one of the worst programmes on television , I love ray darcy when i hear him on the radio i even thought he was great on the den , but i lost all respect for him when he started doing that show!
    my god the stuff is so unoriginal , i really hate it , wish they`d just ban it or something :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Do those McCall kids remind anyone else of the Minipops? Surely a couple of wee 'uns can't be sent to Eurovision? It's a grown ups comepetition!

The Minipops sucked in the 80's. I must've missed the newsletter that said that situation had changed.

After seeing the acts with their Eurovision songs tonight, I definitely think the McCauls should win it. It was a disgrace in my opinion that the Henry Girls got knocked out before Jade. Not only do the Henry Girls seem to be a better band, they also had a much better song. Who's actually voting for Jade? It'll be scandalous if they make it to Eurovision!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Based on tonight's performance of the songs I thought the henry sisters should go out... at one point they were even out of tune. I really want Donna & Joesph to get through, esp after I heard their song tonight. Should def get us out of semis anyway. Pleeeeeeease don't let Jade go through! And yes I know it's a totally uncool show to watch but I don't care I'm hooked, even roped my dad into voting a few times :)

I really want Donna & Joesph to get through, esp after I heard their song tonight. Should def get us out of semis anyway.
    I totally agree with you on that, but I think that the McCauls could actually win the Eurovision with that song. It's got an upbeat, catchy tune, Irish musicians and that naff Irish dancing interlude. It could capture the hearts of Europe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Well they did it, deservedly so in my opinion, i like the dancing it makes the song, they have a decent chance i think, top 10 anyway i reckon. (I hope theres no controversy about the song sounding like something else, i wouldn't be surprised!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

They played donna and joseph's song on pat kenny this morning. Definately eurovision material, was surprised that a song of that type could come out of this country but then there you go.

now if they can build a nise visual show around the song on the night we might just be in with a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

did you see the song all the finalists sang together (when all the people who were knocked out came up onto stage in black to sing). possibly the worst miming i have EVER seen in my life - and i am old enought to have watched top of the pops during the 8-s to know!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭ishmael whale

It seems to be getting a little nasty, judging from Linda Martin’s comments.

FWIW, I thought Jade at least managed a performance that someone might listen to outside of Eurovision (OK, that I might listen to). I’d rather come second last with a song that doesn’t make me cringe than the Bulgarian State Television primetime Saturday Night act that we’re going with.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2091-1512904,00.html
    “March 06, 2005
    Chorus of critics for ‘You’re A Nobody’
    RTE should ditch You’re A Star, the programme it uses to select Ireland’s Eurovision entry, and return to the national song contests that produced the likes of the two-time winner Johnny Logan, according to critics. Eurovision fans say the show is a shambles and little more than a money-making racket for the state broadcaster, which shares in the revenue generated by text and phone votes. ….“I think we have less than no chance this year,” said Linda Martin, a former winner. “If it was left to me I’d cancel the whole thing and come back next year after a complete rethink. I don’t think we have one iota of talent in those finalists this year.” Shay Healy, who wrote Logan’s winning Eurovision entry What’s Another Year, said the final three were “all amateurs and it shows really badly. There is a terrible confusion going on. I don’t think You’re A Star is the answer. I can’t see us getting out of the semi-final.”
    On Eurovision internet forums, avid followers agree that Ireland, which has won the contest seven times, had no chance in Kiev. “We are probably doomed this year,” said Keith Mills, who runs an Irish Eurovision website, All Kinds of Everything. “I’m less than impressed with what we have seen so far.” Mills suggests sending the winning act as backing singers for a high-profile star such as Moya Brennan of Clannad, as Greece did last year after a similar talent trawl.
    RTE’s message board has been bombarded with criticisms. “What is going on with You’re A Star,” demanded a viewer from Laois. “Worst year ever! Won’t go to the back door of my house to listen to any of the acts and it’s the judges’ fault.”
    James Walsh from Dublin told the station: “Nobody from this year’s You’re A Star is eligible for the Eurovision stage. They’d be better off doing weddings.” …..”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Are they brother and sister? husband and wife? some sort of Cavan-style mixture of the two?

Whatever they are, they're creepy inbred gimps. Should do well in Eurovision.

did you see the song all the finalists sang together (when all the people who were knocked out came up onto stage in black to sing). possibly the worst miming i have EVER seen in my life - and i am old enought to have watched top of the pops during the 8-s to know!

Yeah, that was absolutely ridiculous!!! what a joke :D, don't know why they couldn't sing it live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

did ireland not get relugated from the eurovision last year due to the shyte song- singer combo we had?
    i love the way your a star enticed lots of singer songwriter types to apply & then jsut picked em off like cannon fodder,same old crap really,this programme is an embarrasment its like having the catslebar song contest onevery week they mustve drove to darcy's house with a skip full of cash (or booze) to get him to do it!!jesus its more embarrassing than that british minister force feeding his kids beef!!
    Incedentally the UK has the right idea this year i.e. put some talentless vaccous tart with big knockers out there & hope that she gets the euro pervert vote.
    i guarantee next year we'll have either amanda brunker or samantha mumba singing for us in eurovision

We have to compete in the semi-final then the top 10 in the semi-final will qualify to the final. Despite all the sarcasm, I believe this song has a decent chance of top 10 in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Kingsize wrote:
    Incedentally the UK has the right idea this year i.e. put some talentless vaccous tart with big knockers out there & hope that she gets the euro pervert vote.
    i guarantee next year we'll have either amanda brunker or samantha mumba singing for us in eurovision

Jordan didn't get chosen in the end, Javine did. They must hav thought it'd be a bit strange to have an 8 month pregnant woman on the stage which she would be by May!

And yep last year was a crap song (written by Brian Mc Fadden, what could you expect tbh) and Chris Doran was woeful (did you hear him on screeching out of tune last night?!?) but Donna and Joseph can actually sing and their voices go well together so imo it's already an improvement on last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

hellooo, it was rigged from the start. rte never ever would have let another solo act, boy or girl, to embarass us, the kings of eurovision this year. it was always gonna come down to jade, the henry girls and the ginger weirdoes. rte obv don't want ireland to win the eurovision, because they can't afford it, so they write average songs and fill the rest in with irish dancing. personally it should have been either jade with a better song and different frontwoman (maybe a shorter one. she's way too tall) or the henry girls with pete fagan instead of the ugly aul fella on guitar. the mccauls have absolutey NO professional-ness, can't dance to save their lives and have MAJOR image problems. rte have their work cut out for themselves between now and may

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

rte obv don't want ireland to win the eurovision, because they can't afford it, so they write average songs and fill the rest in with irish dancing. personally it should have been either jade with a better song and different frontwoman (maybe a shorter one. she's way too tall) or the henry girls with pete fagan instead of the ugly aul fella on guitar

Yes, because the Eurovision is filled with above average, gimmick free pop-classics which all deserve to win and will be remembered forever, and is free from anyone who isn't a 6 foot Nordic blonde with big bazooka's and blue eyes. :rolleyes:

Have you ever watched that program?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

i meant average in relation to the rest of the entries in the eurovision, and the frontwoman of jade was too tall in relation to the twins, who she stands in between, it didn't work for their image

I’ve had another listen to Jade here. It still sounds quite good.

http://www.keithm.utvinternet.com/YAS20050305.htm

• Advertisement

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/todaywithpatkenny/

Linda Martin sure as hell put the boot into Your A Star this morning. to listen click on Monday s show

you will need real player to listen.

My lovely horse running through the fields ….

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/~peoplesr/forums/showpost.php?p=391896&postcount=37
    “It's not happening, none of it's happening.

I often seperate reality from imagination by looking at the utter ridiculity of a given situation.

A small red haired boy with a large pibus and his squashy sister from Athlone, singing a ring-tone, are Ireland's entry for Eurovision 2005.

Linda Martin has criticised them for lacking talent or star quality.

Yup, this one's all in my head.”

its not a question of whether it is any good or not, its a question of whether it can win the eurovision or not.

Which in turn seems to depend on how late in the running order the act performs

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2091-1491798,00.html

A study by researchers in America has found that those who appear later in the annual singing contest have a better chance of winning. Judges consistently rank those who perform at the end higher than those at the beginning. ….. Six Eurovision winners in total have performed last and on a further eight occasions the winners performed one of the last three songs.
    Ireland first won in 1970 when Dana, appearing last of 12 entries, sang All Kinds of Everything. ….On both occasions that Johnny Logan won the competition, he was third-last on stage. ….Both Linda Martin, with Why Me? in 1992, and Eimear Quinn, who won four years later singing The Voice, appeared late in the running order, 17th of 23 countries. …..
    Niamh Kavanagh, who appeared midway through proceedings in 1993, bucks the trend, as do Charlie McGettigan and Paul Harrington, who won the following year despite going on third. …..Audiences using televoting, introduced in 1998, show the same bias towards later performers…..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/todaywithpatkenny/

Linda Martin sure as hell put the boot into Your A Star this morning. to listen click on Monday s show

you will need real player to listen.

Wasnt Linda on the Judging panel that backed Chris Doran, who got a masseeevee 7 points, and made us have to go through qualifying this year??

How a year zooms by

That witch just likes to get noticed...

Yeah shes just bitter at getting the boot from RTE this year, wtf would she know about music anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

the key to winning the eurovision is to rip off a really catchy song but not so obviously that someone cops on , rings RTE & complains.Failing that enter a novelty act with a gimmick(a jewish transexual,germans with magic boots,a french canadian etc ...)

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Personally i think the song will do very well in the eurovision. Only time will tell!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Wasnt Linda on the Judging panel that backed Chris Doran

Well now, it's funny how she forgets to mention that..a lot ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JosephF

it just all shows that rte are crap

Advertisement