Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your A Star

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I've never watched it, but David Hope is a legend. My band supported his band, Incognito, back in August and he's one of the soundest people ever. The afro does it for me too
    Oh my God I knew I recongnised him!! I used to work in the Abbeygate Hotel in Tralee and Incognito used to play there.. and still do gig there!! They were fantastic! Used to keep me sane while the place was dead as hotel bars can be.. stupid tourists!!
    He definitely has my vote now!!! Great on-stage personality too!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

most of the acts on the programme are absolutely rubbish in that all they is sing other peoples songs.I dont get that.thats what annoys me about these programmes.Ireally like the irish artists that write and play their own stuff otherwise its just a glorified kareoke competition.

I dont really care who wins just as long as its an original song. All of those programmes like X-factor are terrible for that simple reason. These shows would be very good if they actually had proper musicians on the show who could write music thats what it should be about.

Anyone agree??

Oh and i do hate the way teenage girls just vote for who they think looks the best.again what somebody wheres or looks like has no effect whatsoever on how they can write or sing songs. If it was a proper show with real musicians on it then people who are actually interested in proper music and know something about it would take interest in the show, people of an older age group namely the 20 somethings and then we would get some real quality irish acts. Like where is chris doran gone last years winner. He was absolutely terrible. Thats what i think and serious changes need to be made to ensure all this kareoke rubbish is done away with and the real music can begun to be made

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Have you watched it at all, kingp35? Alot of the artists in this season DO write and perform their own songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Kingp35 wrote:
    I dont really care who wins just as long as its an original song.

Its for Eurovision the winner will have to at the very least sing an original song in the final! As TmB says some artist have been singing their own songs already.
    Kingp35 wrote:
    Like where is chris doran gone last years winner.

Come on Kingp35 as you know only too well Chris Doran is now an international superstar singing sensation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

TmB wrote:
    Have you watched it at all, kingp35? Alot of the artists in this season DO write and perform their own songs.

I know they do. If you read my post properly you would know this i said I dont like the ones that arent singing original stuff and that I hope one of the contestants that are wins the competition. My point is I wish it was all original for the good of Irish music and music as a whole.
    comet wrote:
    Its for Eurovision the winner will have to at the very least sing an original song in the final! As TmB says some artist have been singing their own songs already.

Yeah I no the songs are original but they arent written by the winning artist they are written by someone else so in affect the artist is still singing someone elses song. It should be the winning artist who writes the original song and represents our country in the competition.

comet wrote:
    Come on Kingp35 as you know only too well Chris Doran is now an international superstar singing sensation.

Oh yeah I forgot about that cant wait for his stadium rocking world tour :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Moby

;) Some of the best songwriters in the world cant sing to save their lives and some of the great singers cant write good songs, put them together and you get a winner . Most of the finalists peform their own material but cant sing it on the show. They are given a range of songs to sing, to see who can sing any song best ,that is picked for Eurovision .Anyway enjoy the show this week . To all the moans and begrudgers, have a nice day.

VOTE SINEAD MULVEY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 maherw2

Moby,you should maybe try listening to some good music."Your a star" is a complete joke and i can't believe your actually calling some of these glorified pub bands talented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

maherw2 wrote:
    Moby,you should maybe try listening to some good music."Your a star" is a complete joke and i can't believe your actually calling some of these glorified pub bands talented.
    Now that, sir, is an uncalled for slur against a lot of good names. I demand an appology.

There are actually quite a few talented pub bands out there :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I think a good treatre director is now more important for a Eurovision act. It is not the singer or the song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 maherw2

Cork wrote:
    I think a good treatre director is now more important for a Eurovision act. It is not the singer or the song.
    You mean choreography?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

maherw2 wrote:
    You mean choreography?

Well - A eurovision act is all spectecle - something to grab your attention & encourage you to waste your money texting or phoning to vote for the thing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Well - A eurovision act is all spectecle - something to grab your attention & encourage you to waste your money texting or phoning to vote for the thing.

Not really..last year, yes...other god knows how many years, not so much..

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Trev C

This show is really beginning to become a "Eurovision" show cause its a farce. Didnt think that bloke Fran deserved to go last nite, he made a good attempt at something differnet (blondie song). I reckon Dave Fanning could be right about the whole Dublin thing. I think there could be a possible bias although is more likely to be that Dublin people have better things to do than watch this programme.
    Áine O'Doherty was brutal last nite, and deserved to go.
    Lorraine Maher still the most unique but no way she would win eurovision.

I reckon 90% of the acts there would prefer to get to the final of Your a Star and then loose so the dont go through the humiliation of being just another eurovision entry.

Moby wrote:
    Most of the finalists peform their own material but cant sing it on the show. They are given a range of songs to sing, to see who can sing any song best ,that is picked for Eurovision.

This is not true the performers are free to play whatever song they want to while on the show they are not given anything to sing it is purely there own choice. They are given songs to sing while deciding who they want on the actual show but once on it they can sing what they want.

Trev C wrote:
    I reckon Dave Fanning could be right about the whole Dublin thing. I think there could be a possible bias although is more likely to be that Dublin people have better things to do than watch this programme.
    eurovision entry.

This is right.people might not agree with this but people in dublin have a better idea of wha good and proper music is simply because it is available to us in the clubs and venues in dublin so generally peope in Dublin dont watch the show. Another reason is that people from one town in the country always vote for the performer from that town or county. Like my girlfriend is from athlone and it doesnt matter if they are rubbish or not she will vote for the athlone performer. its run like an election. I have no idea why people from the country do this.

Anyway the show is a joke it needs real usicians playing real songs and maybe it will gain the interest of people who know something about music instead of teenage girls who vote purely on looks or where the person comes from!!

Terrible show absolutely terrible

Was at the Helix on Sunday and thought the voting was a joke,Aine O Dotherty was a disgrace and her dress taste was a disaster how did she get to finish second. If Dublin people dont vote God help us , The country people have no intrest of voting for the best acts, they treat it like a football game, County V County. So come on Dubliners show our friends in the Country we want the best act to win whoever it may be , We all want to do well in Eurovision.

Moby wrote:
    Was at the Helix on Sunday and thought the voting was a joke,Aine O Dotherty was a disgrace and her dress taste was a disaster how did she get to finish second. If Dublin people dont vote God help us , The country people have no intrest of voting for the best acts, they treat it like a football game, County V County. So come on Dubliners show our friends in the Country we want the best act to win whoever it may be , We all want to do well in Eurovision.

very true Moby very true the country folk always stick together and it soesnt matter if the performer is absolute rubbish they will vote for em anyway.

Dunno about the dress comment tho last time i checked the type of clothes you wore didnt really affect how well you could sing :rolleyes:

:mad: Daves Fannings quotes about your a star in the Evening Herald last night "some poor idiot is going to have to sing in Eurovision" he also said about being a judge on the show "Id do anything once im having a laught"
    .Is this the right man to be a judge, He is having a good laught at all the acts on the show , and getting well paid for it. How can anyone perform in front of him while he is sniggering at them. I think he should be kicked off the show now ,and let someone take his place who will take it seriously

Check out www.sineadmulvey.com

You are *really* taking it too seriously..

BuffyBot wrote:
    You are *really* taking it too seriously..

:cool: Thats because my money is running on Sinead at 5/1

:mad: I am lost for words, Sinead is out. The best act by miles last Sunday was voted out ? The show has turned into a farce, all the Dubs are gone, why ? They were not the worst on the show, look whats left. I think its a fix, one thing for sure we wont win Eurovision this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

What a joke of a programme/competition - we didn't win Eurovision the last times we sent one man and his guitar so we won't do it this time but sending that guy and his guitar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Moby wrote:
    one thing for sure we wont win Eurovision this year

Since the show was opened up to public voting the best/most naked dancers have won. If they want Ireland to win, put all the chicks in skimpy outfits and have them jump about for three minutes to some Scooter four on the floor shyte, the song doesn't matter, it's all about tits and ass.

Well, pneumatic breasted black hole Jordan is in the running to represent the UK, so that's what they're betting on it seems...

:eek:
    BuffyBot wrote:
    Well, pneumatic breasted black hole Jordan is in the running to represent the UK, so that's what they're betting on it seems...

Jordan yeh what class , She cant sing but them tits get my vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Knifey_Spoony

Only good entrant in my opinion was that Daves Radio band. They were excellent so i guess they were lucky not to get through!! They'll do much better without the eurovision malarky. Also like that big Paddy Casey lookalike guy. He was quite good and seemed like a pretty cool guy. There is no act left that has any chance of winning the eurovision. It'll will be funny watching it in May. My prediction is we wont even get through this qualfiying thing we havta do this year.
    :)

My prediction is we wont even get through this qualfiying thing we havta do this year.
    :)[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

For anyone willing to endure the acts they can be found here

it looks like we are going to make the same mistake we made last year. sending a solo act to Kiev this time and no doubt he will be given a crap song to sing. We done it two years in a row in 2003 and 2004 and it looks like its going to happen again.

I plonked for aine o dogherty last week, she has a better chance of getting somewhere in the eurovision given the right song..

As for the henry girls, and jade, what the hell were they about. sheryl crowe on the harp didnt do much for me.

one or two of them might have been better off finding careers somewhere other than the eurovision song contest. none of them will do any good.

i see the lebenon are in the eurovision this year by the way, wonder what the odds are on israel giving them 12 points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭pixie_student

Im giving my vote to Aine.. I think she is pretty talented and i like that she is very much an individual.

Aine is a crap singer, Linda Martin was right last night when she said Aine cant sing in tune. It is time all the acts were told the truth none of them is good enought to sing for Ireland. We need more judges like Linda Martin to shake the lot of them up and tell the truth. Since the Dublin acts went out the show has gone downhill. Sinead Mulvey was the best by a mile and would have put on a great show for Ireland ,but sadly it is not to be. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Moby wrote:
    Aine is a crap singer, Linda Martin was right last night when she said Aine cant sing in tune. It is time all the acts were told the truth none of them is good enought to sing for Ireland. We need more judges like Linda Martin to shake the lot of them up and tell the truth. Since the Dublin acts went out the show has gone downhill. Sinead Mulvey was the best by a mile and would have put on a great show for Ireland ,but sadly it is not to be. :D

Get a Life.
    Linda is a bitch.
    Aine is cool. You don't have to be the greatest singer to be a star, bob dylan is a case in point.
    I think the Henry Girls or the McCauls would be the best choice for Europe at this stage. RTE leave the most important thing the song until the end of course!!

Advertisement