Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your A Star

Options
  • 05-01-2005 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Moby

You heard it hear first, Sinead Mulvey is going to win YOUR A STAR on RTE. With the help of all you Board Members vote.I beg you all to vote for her and make her a winner. She will not let Ireland down in Eurovision. so go on please and give her your vote on Sunday Jan 15

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

Moby wrote:
    You heard it hear first, Sinead Mulvey is going to win YOUR A STAR on RTE. With the help of all you Board Members vote.I beg you all to vote for her and make her a winner. She will not let Ireland down in Eurovision. so go on please and give her your vote on Sunday Jan 15

Personally, I'd be better off having NOT heard that. Your a star is, arguably, one of the worst programmes ever concieved by RTE. Add to that 3 total spanners as judges and you have a real reciepe for disaster. I hate, repeat HATE, that programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lolly parten

Hey, don't mean to be rude but i don't think much of Sinead.
    Fair enough she is a good singer but i wouldn't hope for her to win.
    Thers a girl called Lorraine Maher and i think shes absolutely class, she got through in the wild card selection the other night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Hadn't a clue about this years contestants so had a quick look.. they're all listed here anyway for those interested:
    http://www.rte.ie/tv/star/contestants.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Dave's Radio were actually rather good but the singer came across as a serious twat, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Trev C

Have to agree that Lorraine Maher seems to be best at moment.
    Dave's Radio have a good shot aswell, but cant see the grannies voting for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Moby

:p Sorry lolly , If Lorraine was that good she would not have to struggle for a wild card. Sinead Mulvey is a trained classic singer and can sing anything. Just watch her play Belle in Beauty and the Beast in Liberty Hall , That is what I call a class singer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Milkman Dan

you're a star is complete an utter crap.
    as a result of the show, everyone on it is destined to play the local toilets for years to come, when they finally end up working in the local toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Trev C wrote:
    Have to agree that Lorraine Maher seems to be best at moment.
    Dave's Radio have a good shot aswell, but cant see the grannies voting for them.

Isn't she the one with the haircut that resembles a German Army helmet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

lol....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Miles

Nice.

LOL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Put me on the Lorraine Maher bandwagon -- Really like her.

Shame she did that stupid Avril Lavigne song on the Wild Card show, but she's still much better that most of the rest.

BTW -- does anyone actually LIKE that freak Anne Harrington???? She creeps me out :eek:

What are you all slagging the show for, There are some very good singers and bands on the show ,Good luck to them all. Sinead Mulvey sang in the Submarine Bar last night and she rocked the place,She is singing there again tonight. She is going places.

I think most of the slagging comes from the fact it's Irish, maybe I'm wrong *shrug*. I like the show, but ultimately anyone I like never wins, mostly 'cos idiotic teen girls vote for the guys -- lots of great female soloists this season for sure.

Moby -- I actually just looked @ the site, Sinead Mulvey is indeed my favourite -- I thought ya were talking about Sinead Hand or Áine O'Doherty -- my bad.

Sinead Mulvey seemed to come outta nowhere in the Killarney workshop, but she's excellent!

If she doesn't win, I'd like to see Lorraine Maher take it. Either way, I hope they both go far, esp. considering that Anne Harrington has made it through. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Moby wrote:
    I beg you all to vote for her and make her a winner

as much as i appreciate your support for this person, i will not encourage programming like this by voting for it

as much as i appreciate your support for this person, i will not encourage programming like this by voting for it

In fairness, one person not voting won't really affect things -- I'm guessing you haven't voted the past 2 seasons, and look how well they did :rolleyes:

Also, this season the profits from the voting are going to Irish charities, and on to the tsunami relief effort, so I won't see it so much as a vote for RTE, but for the singers themselves and for the relief effort.

Doctor J wrote:
    Dave's Radio were actually rather good but the singer came across as a serious twat, unfortunately.

yeah i had the same opinion untill i met the guy after they supported the frames(no slagging allowed!) on New Year's Eve.

He's slightly mad but within 5 mins of talkin to him he had agreeed to put me on the guestlist for his whelan's gig on thursday, pity i was sick! He seemed really sound though, and he is a little arrogant, but you need your front man to seem like a prick sometimes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Moby wrote:
    What are you all slagging the show for, There are some very good singers and bands on the show...

No-one's slagging the singers/artists/performers/try-hards/wannabes; they're slagging RTÉ's production values which they display on any show like this or of a similar vein.
    They're crap. they're an idea ultimately copied from "Star in their eyes" on ITV (more shíte), and they've been a part of RTÉ's prime time scheduling for far too long. Mnay of us are sick and tired of the genre but Montrose keep on churning them out...

The best of luck to the people performing on the show, but TBH if they had that much talent shouldn't they already have made the grade some other way?
    As the "prize" is to compete in the travesty that is the Eurovision, then who it is that actually wins matters little to me, and I suspect many other license fee paying viewers have similar opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

shoud you're a star be allowed in music/radio would humour not be a better place to have it

:eek: Watched the show last night and my money is still on Sinead Mulvey,She is so much better than anyone I have seen so far.If you get a chance to hear her sing dont miss it .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I've never watched it, but David Hope is a legend. My band supported his band, Incognito, back in August and he's one of the soundest people ever. The afro does it for me too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Moby wrote:
    :eek: Watched the show last night and my money is still on Sinead Mulvey,She is so much better than anyone I have seen so far.If you get a chance to hear her sing dont miss it .

Are you Sinead Mulvey/Sinead's Mother/Sinead's Father? Your support seems a little ott for someone who's just watching the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Are you Sinead Mulvey/Sinead's Mother/Sinead's Father? Your support seems a little ott for someone who's just watching the show.

Took you a while to cop that. Moby's un-shakeable/blinkered support is obviously that of a relative/friend/lunatic.

If you believe this show has any artistic merit you should probably... I don't know... eh, plunge a fork into your ears or tear out your own eyes.

:cool: Dr Loon I think that should be Dr Looneybin .If you think there is no artistic talent on the show you be better off watching The Simsons or some other trash good bye. :eek: I am proud to say I have worked with Sinead Mulvey and I genuinely think she is very talented ,Thats why I am pushing for her vote. I agree Dave Hope is excellent he will go far even without the Eurovision.He does not need to win the show to be a star

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Moby, read his post, he said artistic merit not talent so quit the childish name calling. They are mutually exclusive properties and some people, myself included, happen to consider artistic merit to be quite a virtue. Sadly, no artist who submits to this manufacturing process has turned their back on artistic merit for the sake of trying to get a short-cut into the music industry.

Moby wrote:
    :cool: Dr Loon I think that should be Dr Looneybin .If you think there is no artistic talent on the show you be better off watching The Simsons or some other trash good bye. :eek: I am proud to say I have worked with Sinead Mulvey and I genuinely think she is very talented ,Thats why I am pushing for her vote. I agree Dave Hope is excellent he will go far even without the Eurovision.He does not need to win the show to be a star

Please tell me you don't take the Eurovision "song contest" seriously? It's a joke. It's designed to give the Americans something to laugh at. Just like the Daniel O' Donnel show.

Although some of the applicants/runners for Eurostar might be somewhat talented, all artistic merit and integrity is out the window as soon as they appear on the show.

By the last two lines of your paragraph above, it sounds like you're one of the judges spouting the same old shíte clichés. "He'll go far without Eurovision", "He/she is too good for Eurovision." "Even though ye lost "you're a star". :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Isn't the show called "You're A Star" !!!!!

BolBill wrote:

Yeah, whatever!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

TCamen wrote:
    ............does anyone actually LIKE that freak Anne Harrington???? She creeps me out :eek:
    I know where your coming from, she's way over the top and she got voted through as a wildcard!! The fact that Ray dropped the piece of information about her being the niece of former winner Paul Harrington swung a few votes I think :rolleyes:
    Moby wrote:
    ......... Sinead Mulvey sang in the Submarine Bar last night and she rocked the place,She is singing there again tonight. She is going places.
    Theres a big difference between playing the Submarine bar and going places i think. It was like the panel last year talking about George Murphy filling the Point. I'll keep an eye out for her all the same on this weeks show.

I thought the format was pretty decent this year, fair play to RTE for listening to some of the feedback, the sad thing is that once the competition goes to the Helix the public start voting, the public being young teenage girls i'm guessing by the way the vote goes (and obviously family and friends). So unfortunately talent and taste doesn't come into it, reflect on past "stars": the talentless mickey harte, simon casey, george"cover band"murphy or the dire McElheny twins to name but a few. For example I thought the one who got voted out last Sunday wasn't that bad at all, while I thought Donna and Joseph McCaul hadn't much to offer bar the novelty factor. In the wild card I thought Mahoney and their song Follow The Girl was really good and Daves Radio weren't bad either. I would have put both of them through.

BolBill wrote:
    :) Yes you are right, My mistake I apoligise. Dr Loon is now worried about what the Americans think of our TV programs ,Who Cares,Have you seen some of their Television shows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Moby wrote:
    The Simsons or some other trash
    Don't you dare to ever call the simpsons trash. It has shaped my sense of humour over the last 10 years, is the only eveningtime show worth watching and Homer is my hero. End of story.

Advertisement