Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stab City?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

no worries ricey,

as for brannigans, its quite a nice place to be honest. I would imagine it wil survive. the moose did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I was in brannigans yesterday afternoon, there were plenty of people in there, (and a car with 2 detectives sitting outside) as billy said, the moose is still going, i doubt it'll have a huge effect in the long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

No what i mean is the owners of that pub hav
    put away a top man in limerick who will look
    for revenge cuz these fellas dont mess about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sigmund

Since when does having a large shopping centre in limerick ,(atlantic ****ing homecare) mean that this city is on the ''up''. i dont know what corners ye have all been sheltered in the past few months or years for that matter but this city is never getting better . yes maybe more money is being ridiculously pumped into this endless black hole on the commercial side but does that mean that killings and robberies will fall in statistics. obviously not. this city lasks and always will lack the 'fun' element for young children and teens, i have been to florida where there isnt a speckle of crime and children and teenagers are living fulfilling happy lives. here in limerick many youngsters find it fulfilling to have their head stuck in a bag of glue. i am sorry but if you are all going to accept this city as the bees knees then change will never arise. think of our future generations, would you be happy for them to spend their life spans in fear ,.believe me i do , i live in fear every day because i was attacked and for no reason while my three year old son was in my arms. the sooner i leave this city for good the better and i shall never look back. take a look at the local garda facilities, do you see them fulfilling all their promises to have regular patrols in community areas ...no. i live in one and the trouble gets worse every week. i am being harrased for no reason and my property too. the guards have been no help and question me more into why this should be happening.ha!!. every week i go to work and hear another womans window being put in, another womans son being attacked and stabbed for protecting his girlfriend. people are being violated and attacked for only doing good and being quiet.. am i the only one who sees the rapidly increasing descent of this city. no amount of money and diy shops are going to change the society we have all ma :eek: de for ourselves. it is so sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Actually i dont see this crime and never really have, and i'm not exactly sheltered... i go where i want when i want! I go to town, cresent S.C or just stay in Raheen i have never withnessed a crime! (except a kid stealing wool from a guy selling it on paddy's day)
    The statistics are down and this city is considered one of the safest in the country!, as long as you are out of the gang wars!
    Things are ok for teens, we hae many locations to play sports, schools in the country are very much into building self-confidence, so teens will explore more! We have a few arcades (need more though) and a skatepark on the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

sigmund wrote:
    i have been to florida where there isnt a speckle of crime .

Hey, we've all seen Miami Vice. I can't remember a single episode, where there wasn't a shoot out, or a car chase, or a boat chase, or some kind of messed up roadway, aquatic, shootout, mix of all three!!! You don't fool any of us! :D

On a serious note though, you will find that the majority of the posts on this site are on the misrepresentation, and labelling of Limerick.
    If you actually looked up the statistics that you erroneously quoted, you'd realise that Limerick has a lower crime rate (that includes murder by the way!), per capita, than Dublin, Cork and Galway!
    You talk about how the future generations of...... (what is the proper term for people from Limerick? Limerickonians! Limerickites! That's something for somebody to look up. Maybe we should have a vote!!!), but then you go on about how all the improvements are ****e, and how you don't think we should bother!

I'm immensely proud of being from Limerick.
    I make no apologies for that, and I'm not ashamed of it.
    I know that there are problems in Limerick, as there are in every city, town, and village in the country!
    So I try and get off my ass, and do things to improve them.
    Maybe you should too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

It's not so much having Atlantic Homecare , as the fact that investment is going on . Investment means jobs , for the ppl that want to work , which is pretty much everyone , jobs mean more money going back into the economy ( in theory ). This can't be bad , it ain't gonna change the world but it helps .

There is a mindset in both Ireland and Limerick itself that this city has major problems , it doesn't , no more than anywhere else . It does seem to lack that sparkle that some of the other places have but I think thats more to do with the way everything seems to be concentrated into a small area , shopping wise and nightlife . Having said that you would imagine that it being concentrated would make it easier for the police to keep an eye on ...bring on the cameras I say !!!!!!

You talk about how the future generations of...... (what is the proper term for people from Limerick? Limerickonians! Limerickites! That's something for somebody to look up. Maybe we should have a vote!!!),

knackers!!!!!!

Sorry billy , I couldn't resist ....better form a born 'n bred proud Limerickman....than one of those pesky outsiders.........

only in parts , only in parts.

ricey wrote:
    No what i mean is the owners of that pub hav
    put away a top man in limerick who will look
    for revenge cuz these fellas dont mess about

the word here is MIGHT seek revenge. you would be surprised how quickly these hard men get the scutters, why do you think most of them were living in the UK for so long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

the word here is MIGHT seek revenge. you would be surprised how quickly these hard men get the scutters, why do you think most of them were living in the UK for so long.

Ya i agree wit you of course the word here is MIGHT
    but if i was that youngfella @ brannagins id really
    watch myself not just for now but the rest of my life
    these boys don`t forget there not like most of the crime
    gangs in limerick there all part of the one family and all stick
    together all traveller familys are born into that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Interesting, I've never had much trouble growing up in Limerick, though I've only lived there intermittently over the past 5 or so years. I've been to few different cities and Limerick is duller than most, but not more dangerous. For example, in the last month in Galway (where i currently reside) there has been 2 stabbings and a man beaten up so badly he was sent to beaumont hospital, some drunk aparently hospitalised 2 girls in a taxi office, etc. I don't think the random violence in Limerick is much worse than that, however the gangland violence is certainly almost unique in an Irish context, given the different population size between Limerick and Dublin. What Limerick badly lacks is a sense of civic pride, we're too quick to condemn Limerick and too slow to improve it. What Galway has is a sense of 24/7 life, whereas Limerick doesn't. It's our city, we should take it back.

I don't think the random violence in Limerick is much worse than that, however the gangland violence is certainly almost unique in an Irish context, given the different population size between Limerick and Dublin.

Well, seeing as the last gangland killing in Limerick was....how long ago?!
    While there have been at least three in Dublin in the last few weeks.
    And it's not just murder either.
    What about the 19 people arrested this very morning up in Dublin!
    what were they?! Part of a gang perhaps!!!!!
    If you look at the figures, crime in Dublin is way higher than Limerick, per capita, so the size difference doesn't come in to it!
    What Limerick badly lacks is a sense of civic pride, we're too quick to condemn Limerick and too slow to improve it. What Galway has is a sense of 24/7 life, whereas Limerick doesn't. It's our city, we should take it back.

You are right about the lack of things to do here, but I'd say that you're way off the mark with the whole lack of civil pride idea.
    Thing is, with the amount of debt that Limerick city is in, due to the repeated refuseal of a needed boundry extention, The city just can't afford it!
    But that's an arguement for another forum!!! :D

Listen I'm proud to be from Limerick, very proud in fact. But we should compare the gangland situation in Limerick to cities like Cork and Galway since they are far more representative of Limericks' size than Dublin. I only used Dublin as a comparator as there is no massive gang problem in either Cork or Galway.

We need to assess why Limerick has this problem, and how to counteract it. We could spend all day whining about the media hates Limerick (which it does) or how crime is misrepresented (which it is) but the fact remains there is a serious crime problem in Limerick.

The city boundary issue is obviously a massive problem, but more than that is the lack of leadership from our policitions, both on a local and national level. This time last year they were knocking on our doors looking for votes, what have they achieved for Limerick in the interim? O'Dea is undoubtedly a commited policition, and I've heard glowing reports from people who dealt with him on local issues, but how has he improved Limerick's status on a national level? look at how Micheal D. Higgins raised Galways status, or McDaid raised Donegal's status. We need leadership, though sadly none is apparent.

Well he is only minister for defense.. he has done a lot for the city in all he could do!
    And its only one year in!

I would be in horror if he was working to boost Limerick rather than Ireland... a politican can put his city first, but should not work for it! He is now a rep for Ireland not Limerick!

Listen I'm proud to be from Limerick, very proud in fact. But we should compare the gangland situation in Limerick to cities like Cork and Galway since they are far more representative of Limericks' size than Dublin. I only used Dublin as a comparator as there is no massive gang problem in either Cork or Galway.

We need to assess why Limerick has this problem, and how to counteract it. We could spend all day whining about the media hates Limerick (which it does) or how crime is misrepresented (which it is) but the fact remains there is a serious crime problem in Limerick.

The city boundary issue is obviously a massive problem, but more than that is the lack of leadership from our policitions, both on a local and national level. This time last year they were knocking on our doors looking for votes, what have they achieved for Limerick in the interim? O'Dea is undoubtedly a commited policition, and I've heard glowing reports from people who dealt with him on local issues, but how has he improved Limerick's status on a national level? look at how Micheal D. Higgins raised Galways status, or McDaid raised Donegal's status. We need leadership, though sadly none is apparent.

some good points there, another jim kemmy is what we need i guess.

Limerickman, while I would agree with you in theory, I'm afraid in reality every policition works for his own area first, all politics is local. O'Dea should do whatever he can for Limerick,

But we should compare the gangland situation in Limerick to cities like Cork and Galway since they are far more representative of Limericks' size than Dublin. I only used Dublin as a comparator as there is no massive gang problem in either Cork or Galway.

Okay, you don't want to mention Dublin, as Dublins size could make a point for it having a large gangland underworld.
    But what about that shinning metropolis that is Sligo town?!!
    No offence to Sligo, but I've been there a couple of times, and nobody can argue that it is little more than a large town.
    If Limericks gang problem is "unique in Ireland," how come a man was shot dead in his car in Sligo town, in a gang related family feud?!!!!!!
    I'm not disagreeing that Limerick has a problem, it does.
    But it's the same problem that the rest of the country has.
    Some parts of this country seem to think that if they believe that Limericks problem is worse than theirs, then there problem ceases to exist!

On sky news ireland... they were reporting that new murder... and the figure they gave was 13 this year in the country!!!!

The fact that it was the fifth in dublin in less than a month was only mentioned by a guy being interviewed!

Yeah it's a bitch!
    The reporting in the radio an tv hasn't been so bad, but the papers have been as bad as ever!
    I saw the mirror today. Admitedly they did have the (latest!!!) Dublin murder on the front page, but the headline was about Irelands problem, not Dublin where nearly all of the murders have taken place!
    What really got me though, was the usual piece of Limerick bashing, a couple of pages later.
    Four guys got in a mutual fight (two of the guys even stoped and shook hands, but the two others continued on, and one ended up been been badly injured with a hurley.
    Why this recieved national coverage, I don't know!
    How many people got into fights over the weekend, all over the country!
    It wasn't even a crime, just two guys getting carried away in a fight!
    The only reason they put it in the paper, was to keep the national psyche on Limerick, while the capital goes through a crisis!
    Ah well, their problem I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 BarHog27

Hey you guys. just found this site, feel all homesick now. Limerick is great. Its full of scobes, but so is any city. I miss it now, didnt realise till I started reading all the posts(Not neccessarily the ones in this topic, lol)

How long are u in essex?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 BarHog27

How long are u in essex?

Only lived here for about a month, lived in Kent before that since november, and lived in South Wales before that.

Any thoughts on returning?

hate to break this up but um, can we get back on topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I see the Hurley is out and the hand grenade is in this season or is that just more media hype?

The Muppet wrote:
    I see the Hurley is out and the hand grenade is in this season or is that just more media hype?

Well the Hurley can still be used to launch the "holy" hand grenade if greater distance is required .

The Muppet wrote:

have a look in the other region forums.

point me in the direction of a thread about crime that has lasted for five months.

This in my opinion proves that the first thinkg people think of when they think of Limerick is "oooh crime" while at the same time people are being filled with bullets out side of mountjoy prison.

Oh and for the record, the hagrinade attack on the house in Colbert Avenue was a unique occourance in the south of Ireland. and is also believed to be linked to feuding gangs.

This feud has only been running since around 2000-2001, so explain to me why, while we had gangs like the Cahil Gang and the Dunne Gang in dublin before that, why Limerifck already had a name for crime.

The Muppet wrote:

Yeah, but how many French students have been "stabbed" in Limerick in the last......... ever!!!!!!!!!!
    Lets just say that a quadraplegic could count the amount of times on his fingers!!!!!
    And anyway, thumbs up to the technical know-how of Lmerick scum bags, who at least can prime their grenades before throwing them, unlike the Dublin scumbags, who only two weeks ago, failed in a similar attack, when the grenade failed to detonate!!!!!
    If you want, I'll sit quietly, while you have a footindectomy, to remove both feet from your mouth!!!!! :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Are u serious, ah there all 'muppets'! lol, I'm just messing!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement