Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stab City?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Limerick is a dynamic city, and should soon be a very lively and entertaining place to live....

Oceallachain, per person the murder rate in limerick is lower, Dublin has a lot more crime then limerick full stop!
    The only dublin based media with a shred of b*lls to say something are tv3, at least they dont keep egnoring Dublin crime.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

kaimera wrote:
    I'm down in college in Limerick and tbh wont go out in the city.

Last semester, a good friend of mine was waiting for the bus back to UL in town and got threatned with a 'knife in the head' if he didn't hand over his phone.

i mean wtf?

I know of a guy who was held at gun-point in Sandymount, that's in Dublin 4.
    It's considered to be one of the nicest parts of the country. It's certainly one of the most expensive, you'd have to be a millionare to buy a family home there.

And a guy on a scooter tried to mug me by Stephen's Green, just so you can know to avoid those places too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

iguana wrote:

And a guy on a scooter tried to mug me by Stephen's Green, just so you can know to avoid those places too.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I wasn't born in Limerick but I've been living here for about 4 years, I too was mystified by this 'stab city' and thought was all hype, then one St. Patricks day wandering home to Castletroy drunk as a newt with one of my friends, he was on my phone when 4 scumbags across the road pay us a visit, my friend was the one with the phone, so he gets a good few digs to the head before we manage to get away.

Two summers ago i was living in a student house in Castletroy (one of the classier areas of limerick), unfortunately a group of scobes moved in to the house a few doors down. One day we were innocuously playing guitar on our roof and said scobes started throwing rocks at us. Later on they also chased one of my friends with a plank of wood screaming " i'm gonna kill you!" (luckily he was a bike so managed to escape), and also their friends tried to break in to our house. In the end they were kicked out, as the police were called on them numerous times, but it made living there hell for a time.

Other incidents, a female friend of mine got punched in the face at 8.am in the morning as two knackers tried to rob her phone. I knew a guy who had a brick thrown at him randomly by a large group of scobes which resulted in him having his jaw wired and stitches in his skull. Another friend of mine was shot at when he discovered two knackers trying to rob his motorcycle.

Then there are the random threats on your life, or "do you want to get stabbed?" (limerick hospitality), the scores of scum wandering around harrasing people as they see fit.Oh and a guy was arrested in the middle of the day recently for carrying a submachine gun in public. As you do.

I've never lived in any other city for long , but limericks reputation is at least partly justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ok lets see so from some experiences I have had in other cities also:

Friend of mine had her mobile phone robbed out of her hand while waiting at a bus stop in Salthill.

My car was broken into in Galway city centre once. They smashed the side window.

Scumbags slashed my tyres down in Cork last year in broad daylight.

As I already said this is the plight of the Irish scumbag but some people will still insist on painting it as a Limerick only problem. Try living in Cork or Galway for a while and you will experience similar problems.

Contrary to some people's beliefs' not every mindless crime committed in the country only happens in Limerick.

• Advertisement

Up until this Paddys day i could say i had never withnessed a (real) crime in the city! (not speading etc.)

A boy ran up to an african guy who was selling stuff on the side of crusis street, and took a rool of wool and ran off! What the ****.

Even though the knacker probably thought nothing of it and more then likely threw the wool away... this man was obviously trying to survive, rather then to make cash (if u get what i'm saying)

But i hear of these crimes on this board ... but do not know people who hear this info, and i personnally dont withness these type crimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

But i hear of these crimes on this board ... but do not know people who hear this info, and i personnally dont withness these type crimes!

it would make you wonder why the ERU are on constant patrol in the city and why the Central Criminal; court had to be relocated there to clear the back log. The media have a lot to answer for.

The Muppet wrote:
    it would make you wonder why the ERU are on constant patrol in the city and why the Central Criminal; court had to be relocated there to clear the back log. The media have a lot to answer for.

Dude, the ERU, aren't on "constant patrol", here, they were called down for about two weeks over a year ago, and I've only heard of them being back three times since (I could be wrong about that).
    Anyway, guess what, the ERU are stationed up in Dublin constantly!!!
    Secondly, the Central Criminal court has been sitting in Cork for years, it came to Limerick I think three times ever (I could be wrong about this again)!
    Put it to you this way man, If two and a half million euro had been robbed in broad daylight in the midle of Limerick, and then the next day, a dismembered body, wrapped in plastic had been found, dumped in the Shannon, the media would have decended, once again, like vultures, and it would have been a "Limerick," problem! (Damn that was a huge sentance!!!). Instead, because it happened in Dublin, it's a national problem!
    Go figure!!! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

well all i have to say to every1 who is just in limerick
    for a visit or collage or something like that.
    And thinks this is such a bad place compared to home sweet home
    all wraped up infront of the fire next to mam n da.
    FU€K OFF BACK THERE THEN, WE DONT WANT YE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

what do you make of this then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just another artist trying to make a name for themselves by generating controversy. Best form of free advertising around. :rolleyes:

Dude, the ERU, aren't on "constant patrol", here, they were called down for about two weeks over a year ago, and I've only heard of them being back three times since (I could be wrong about that).
    Anyway, guess what, the ERU are stationed up in Dublin constantly!!!
    Secondly, the Central Criminal court has been sitting in Cork for years, it came to Limerick I think three times ever (I could be wrong about this again)!
    Put it to you this way man, If two and a half million euro had been robbed in broad daylight in the midle of Limerick, and then the next day, a dismembered body, wrapped in plastic had been found, dumped in the Shannon, the media would have decended, once again, like vultures, and it would have been a "Limerick," problem! (Damn that was a huge sentance!!!). Instead, because it happened in Dublin, it's a national problem!
    Go figure!!! :confused:

You won't get me arguing that Dublins crime problems are misreported and blown out of all porportion by the media. Which ones have the media made up about Limerick?

the media as a state body are an extension of the irish government and as such are supposed to report all news both good and bad in a fair unbiased manner( the reason we dont have privatisation in the media is that the government are afraid to lose their propaganda tool) saying this however the style and manner of reporting in limerick as well as the huge ammount of media time given to events in limerick, is unjustified and does not match the crimes in question, any ways its a well known fact that any serial killer this country ever produced came from leinster, now wouldnt it be more in the medias place to report events in a certain region of ireland to maybe protect people, not from the "Limerick Bogeyman" but from ignorance,pater nosters, and the faith of our fathers that each of you guys have to say about limerick each time you are afraid to admit that the big bad wolf lives in your town toooooo.!!!!!!!!!

I agree with me!

And so those Dave!

and on a final note i have spent the last three days counting up the number of people all the people here know that have been stabbed in limerick over the last few months, and incredibly unless all of you know the same people thers been more native casualties in the last few months than in a john wayne movie....really.....
    This is all, my friends, sisters, cousins, dog's, mothers, first cousin once removed, kind of stuff!!!......really....
    I mean, really.....

Getting back to the Stab City Art... I must say i am a big fan! I think there is great insperation behind it, and maybe if u stopped to read it u'd agree!
    The whole thing is praising Limerick saying how great it is, but Stab city is shaped out of words and is the first thing u see.

Really if u think about it what it is saying is that limerick is this great magnificant place that is stuck behind these two words... its what they see when they think of Limerick rather then the great city that it is!

the media as a state body are an extension of the irish government and as such are supposed to report all news both good and bad in a fair unbiased manner( the reason we dont have privatisation in the media is that the government are afraid to lose their propaganda tool)

We do have private media and if i am not mistaken, they are more sensational than RTE.

of course it wasnt the modern media who have had a go at limerick.

wasnt it sean lemeas that once said that when you go to limerick you either run into a novena or a strike.

yes we do have private media, and so does saudi arabia, and great britain, and America unfortunately the enlightened few, are far outweighed by the scared masses, anyway whats wrong with a strike ??? was'nt it benito mussilini, adolf hitler, and margret tatcher who disagreed with striking, good on ya sean le mass. :D

im only quoting what he said. absoloutly nothing wrong with a strike if it is for a good enough reason. I think lemeas was trying to say that Limerick people were afraid of work. calling strikes for the most rediculous of reasons.

• Advertisement

Just thought i'd let you know, that my poss for the last couple of days weren't from me!
    I made the mistake of not logging out, at work, and my boss left all of those messages!
    Not that I disagree with anything that he said mind you, just thought I'd let ye know incase anyone thought I had multiple personality disorder! :D

you really should log out before you leave your computer. you got lucky that it was your boss but he really needs to set up his own account.

next time it could be one of your fellow employees seeking to "have a laugh"

hows and ever no damage done.

Are we going to get a list of all the fabricated stories the Media have published that has led to limerick getting the reputation it has or is it sufficent to just blame the media with little or no proof ?

I dont think the OP was saying the stories are fabricated, there is no denying however that stories of crime are given more attention by the media if they happen in Limerick, than in other parts of the country.

I dont think the OP was saying the stories are fabricated, there is no denying however that stories of crime are given more attention by the media if they happen in Limerick, than in other parts of the country.

So the Media are to blame despite the fact that their reporting is factually correct. Pehaps they should only report good news about Limerick and forget about all that nasty crime stuff eh.

Poor old frogeyes the media were not very fair to him and his "Friends".

Well if u remember back just after all the big hype last year or so TV3 ran a special series looking at the positive side of the city, it focused on the people, and the riverside city and the plan for making Limerick pedisteran and the canal!
    They showed it during the news, and it was really positive (a bit over positive, but it was good)

The Muppet wrote:
    Are we going to get a list of all the fabricated stories the Media have published that has led to limerick getting the reputation it has or is it sufficent to just blame the media with little or no proof ?

Ok man (this is me by the way. I'm gonna be alot more carefull from now on!), you want to talk about misrepresentation in the media. During the first 8 weeks of 2004, there were 8 people murdered in gangland killings in Dublin (this was just gangland killings, there were a number of unrelated murders also).
    This recieved very little media attention (half of the murders weren't even mentioned on the rte news!), and never once did anyone in the media suggest that these 8 murders, in 8 weeks were connected!!!
    During this time, a man with no arms could have counted the amount of murders in Limerick on his fingers!

ie: There was none! Gangland, or otherwise.

Then, in the ninth week of the year, a man was killed in Limerick. A fight broke out between two neighbours. One a drunk man, and the other a man trying to protect his car. One of them went into his house, grabbed a kitchen knife, and stabbed the other.
    The next day a media frenzy broke out in Limerick, and this story became, not only headline news, but the first story on the news all day!
    Only recently, when the man was sentanced for murder, I say the story mentioned in the national papers again, over a year since the event!
    Not once have I heard about those 8 murders in Dublin since then.
    Now, if you bear in mind the fact that if I'm not mistaken, there were only 9 gangland murders in Limerick, over a period of a year, during the height of the troubles, don't you think that 8 in as many weeks should have deserved the same media treatment?!
    Hope you like your answer.

The Muppet wrote:
    So the Media are to blame despite the fact that their reporting is factually correct. Pehaps they should only report good news about Limerick and forget about all that nasty crime stuff eh.

Poor old frogeyes the media were not very fair to him and his "Friends".

actually no, what I suggest is that if they are going to give four or five pages of murder stories for a week if it happens in Limerick, then they should give four or five pages relating to a murder story if it happens somewhere else.

Ok man (this is me by the way. I'm gonna be alot more carefull from now on!), you want to talk about misrepresentation in the media. During the first 8 weeks of 2004, there were 8 people murdered in gangland killings in Dublin (this was just gangland killings, there were a number of unrelated murders also).
    This recieved very little media attention (half of the murders weren't even mentioned on the rte news!), and never once did anyone in the media suggest that these 8 murders, in 8 weeks were connected!!!
    During this time, a man with no arms could have counted the amount of murders in Limerick on his fingers!

ie: There was none! Gangland, or otherwise.

Then, in the ninth week of the year, a man was killed in Limerick. A fight broke out between two neighbours. One a drunk man, and the other a man trying to protect his car. One of them went into his house, grabbed a kitchen knife, and stabbed the other.
    The next day a media frenzy broke out in Limerick, and this story became, not only headline news, but the first story on the news all day!
    Only recently, when the man was sentanced for murder, I say the story mentioned in the national papers again, over a year since the event!
    Not once have I heard about those 8 murders in Dublin since then.
    Now, if you bear in mind the fact that if I'm not mistaken, there were only 9 gangland murders in Limerick, over a period of a year, during the height of the troubles, don't you think that 8 in as many weeks should have deserved the same media treatment?!
    Hope you like your answer.

actually gangland deaths in Liemrick would be closer to 4 than nine. you had Michael Cambell John and Eddie Ryan Kieran Keane, and it was a period a lot longer than a year that these people were murdered.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the pointer. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement