Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stab City?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Ok man (this is me by the way. I'm gonna be alot more carefull from now on!), you want to talk about misrepresentation in the media. During the first 8 weeks of 2004, there were 8 people murdered in gangland killings in Dublin (this was just gangland killings, there were a number of unrelated murders also).
    This recieved very little media attention (half of the murders weren't even mentioned on the rte news!), and never once did anyone in the media suggest that these 8 murders, in 8 weeks were connected!!!
    During this time, a man with no arms could have counted the amount of murders in Limerick on his fingers!

ie: There was none! Gangland, or otherwise.

Then, in the ninth week of the year, a man was killed in Limerick. A fight broke out between two neighbours. One a drunk man, and the other a man trying to protect his car. One of them went into his house, grabbed a kitchen knife, and stabbed the other.
    The next day a media frenzy broke out in Limerick, and this story became, not only headline news, but the first story on the news all day!
    Only recently, when the man was sentanced for murder, I say the story mentioned in the national papers again, over a year since the event!
    Not once have I heard about those 8 murders in Dublin since then.
    Now, if you bear in mind the fact that if I'm not mistaken, there were only 9 gangland murders in Limerick, over a period of a year, during the height of the troubles, don't you think that 8 in as many weeks should have deserved the same media treatment?!
    Hope you like your answer.

What has Dublin got to do with it,? Should teh media only report dublin crime and turn a bild eye to limerick. I know Dublin has a cronic crime problem,I.ll not argue with that. Whats your point. BTW if the Dublin murders got no media coverage how do you know about them down there in Limerick?

Arguing that Limerick does not have a serious crime problem because Dublin is worse is not much of a defence TBH. When is the last time you heard of someone on the streets of Dublin carrying a Kalashnikov?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,189 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Muppet wrote:
    What has Dublin got to do with it,? Should teh media only report dublin crime and turn a bild eye to limerick. I know Dublin has a cronic crime problem,I.ll not argue with that. Whats your point. BTW if the Dublin murders got no media coverage how do you know about them down there in Limerick?

Arguing that Limerick does not have a serious crime problem because Dublin is worse is not much of a defence TBH. When is the last time you heard of someone on the streets of Dublin carrying a Kalashnikov?

They are more civilized in the "big smoke", they cut up bodies and dump them in the canal. :rolleyes:

Nobody is saying Limerick does't have it's problems, the same as Cork, Galway or Waterford have problems. I think the point being made here is that if it happens in Limerick it is on the front of every rag but if it happens in Dublin it only makes page 4.

bazz26 wrote:
    They are more civilized in the "big smoke", they cut up bodies and dump them in the canal. :rolleyes:

Funny I,m sure that made front page, :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Just because you are not personally a victim of crime in your area does not mean it does'nt exist. I live in Dublin and thankfully have never been a victim , yet I,m not claimimg there is no problem and the publicity is just media hype. I wonder would the family of Brian Fitzgerald agree that the problem was misrepresented by the media . Somehow I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,189 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Well I thought the Pope's condition leading up to his death was making all the front pages for the last two weeks.

And what about the guys who was shot dead (hitman style?) in a pub in Dublin recently. What about his family? Three kids wasn't it?

See we could compare stories like this all week.

See I know some people from Dublin and I listen to them saying they would not go to Limerick "as it looks like a warzone on the 6 o'clock news". Yet some of these people have never ventured past the Red Cow roundabout in their lives.

Yes Limerick has it's bad areas with burnt out houese, etc. But the last I looked Ballymun, Tallagh, etc were not exactly tourist sites either.

bazz26 wrote:
    Well I thought the Pope's condition leading up to his death was making all the front pages for the last two weeks.

And what about the guys who was shot dead (hitman style?) in a pub in Dublin recently. What about his family? Three kids wasn't it?

See we could compare stories like this all week.

See I know some people from Dublin and I listen to them saying they would not go to Limerick "as it looks like a warzone on the 6 o'clock news". Yet some of these people have never ventured past the Red Cow roundabout in their lives.

Yes Limerick has it's bad areas with burnt out houese, etc. But the last I looked Ballymun, Tallagh, etc were not exactly tourist sites either.

What does Ballymun Tallagh etc have to do with Limericks home grown crime Lords. Obviously you have have nothing to post to support the view that Limericks crime problems are just media hype.

So to detract from the subject we are trying to discuus you try bring it off Topic to Dublins crime problems. I have already said twice I agreee with you that Dublin has a serious problem as well. The topic is Limerick Stab City, A well deserved title IMO and certainly not because of media hype.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Just to let ye all know ... I was doing a debate during the year and it was on crime in limerick city!!!

Limerick city after waterford has the countries lowest crime rate (per population)!!!

Just to let ye all know ... I was doing a debate during the year and it was on crime in limerick city!!!

Limerick city after waterford has the countries lowest crime rate (per population)!!!

Hows about breaking that down into catatgories such as stabbings . still second lowest? I doubt it very much but would be interetsed in the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

You're an appalling troll muppet. The issue with limericks reputation is due to sensationalist journalism, the crime rates in limerick are on a par with any city in ireland, its just that Limerick has a "witty" moniker in the whole Stab City thing that hack journalists cant resist trotting out at any opportunity.

Now go back under your bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Okay Muppet (I love saying that!), please let this be the last time that I have to try and explain this to you.
    Yes we have problems in Limerick, yes there are problems in Dublin (and the rest of the country for that matter!), the point that we, from Limerick, are making, is that the media representation is not fair.
    Every time that something happens in Limerick, the media swarm like proverbial locusts!
    We don't think that the media turns a blind eye to the crime in Dublin, we just know that they don't treat it the same way that they do in Limerick.
    I'll give you some examples. The day after a man was shot dead, i the middle of a crowded pub, with 30 or so witnesses, in our nations capital, guess what media coverage it received?
    Half of page 11 of the Irish Mirror! And even then, the article was not about the brutality of the murder, it was all about how the man shot dead happened to be a former kick boxing champion!!!
    Yeah, cause that's what's important!!!
    When the European Union, released a report on violence in European cities last year, in which Dublin was shamed for having one of the worst crime rates, per capita, in Europe (Limerick wasn't even mentioned on the list I may add!!!), the papers decided to do a two page spread on crime in Ireland.
    Dublin got one and a half columns, Galway received half a column, and Limerick had over a page and a half!!!!!
    This was after Dublin was shamed!!!!
    Nothing had happened in Limerick, in months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Everyone seems to forget the through the whole of the 80's Cork was known as "Stanley City," due to the high rate of attacks with Stanley knifes!!!
    The media don't dust off that moniker, every time something happens in Cork now do they!
    Face the facts Muppet, there isn't one Limerick person here that will say that there is no crime problem in Limerick, all we're pointing out, is that it's the same problem that the rest of the country has, and we hate the way the media ignores that!
    Ohh, and while you’re mentioning the "Home-grown" Limerick crime bosses!
    It was very publicly pointed out in a documentary about the city recently, the Gardai believe that the man who controls all the crime in Limerick is a Dublin man, living in Dublin!!! Just a little food for thought!
    :eek:

Okay Muppet (I love saying that!),:

Very original I never heard tha one before as for echomadman and his Troll comments. Do you accuse everyone whose voices different opinions that yourself a troll or just me.
    Half of page 11 of the Irish Mirror! And even then, the article was not about the brutality of the murder, it was all about how the man shot dead happened to be a former kick boxing champion!!!
    Yeah, cause that's what's important

With respect I would not use the Irish Mirror as a guage to the quality of journalism in this country. Maybe thats where the problem lies , you should try reading some of the broadsheets they tend to give a much more balanced view on things.
    When the European Union, released a report on violence in European cities last year, in which Dublin was shamed for having one of the worst crime rates, per capita, in Europe (Limerick wasn't even mentioned on the list I may add!!!), the papers decided to do a two page spread on crime in Ireland.
    Dublin got one and a half columns, Galway received half a column, and Limerick had over a page and a half!!!!!
    This was after Dublin was shamed!!!!
    Nothing had happened in Limerick, in months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Everyone seems to forget the through the whole of the 80's Cork was known as "Stanley City," due to the high rate of attacks with Stanley knifes!!!
    The media don't dust off that moniker, every time something happens in Cork now do they!
    Face the facts Muppet, there isn't one Limerick person here that will say that there is no crime problem in Limerick, all we're pointing out, is that it's the same problem that the rest of the country has, and we hate the way the media ignores that!
    Ohh, and while you’re mentioning the "Home-grown" Limerick crime bosses!
    It was very publicly pointed out in a documentary about the city recently, the Gardai believe that the man who controls all the crime in Limerick is a Dublin man, living in Dublin!!! Just a little food for thought!
    :eek:

Thats fair enough but i still don't agree that the media has blown it out of porportion. Most of the coverage covers the feud and the fallout from it. The circumstances surrounding that story is unique in our society and that is why it features so prominently. I believe that the coverage would be the same irrespective of what county was involved.There is no evidence of a media conspiracy to blacken Limerick.

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote:
    Very original I never heard tha one before .

Ah come on, I was only trying to lighten the conversations tone!
    The Muppet wrote:
    With respect I would not use the Irish Mirror as a guage to the quality of journalism in this country. Maybe thats where the problem lies , you should try reading some of the broadsheets they tend to give a much more balanced view on things.

Well I tend to get most of my news from internet sited, like indymedia, as it's one of the only non biased news services in the world!

The Muppet wrote:
    Most of the coverage covers the feud and the fallout from it. The circumstances surrounding that story is unique in our society and that is why it features so prominently. I believe that the coverage would be the same irrespective of what county was involved.There is no evidence of a media conspiracy to blacken Limerick.

Did you forget about the 8 gangland murders in Dublin during the first 8 weeks of last year, that the media just ignored, and never once connected them together, even though all the evidence pointed out that they were?!

Ah come on, I was only trying to lighten the conversations tone!

Fair enough but I get that a lot it gets a bit tiresome TBH.

Well I tend to get most of my news from internet sited, like indymedia, as it's one of the only non biased news services in the world!

You won't get much coverage of Limerick there,
    Did you forget about the 8 gangland murders in Dublin during the first 8 weeks of last year, that the media just ignored, and never once connected them together, even though all the evidence pointed out that they were?!

What have they to do with Limerick? If the answer to that question is nothing then that point is totally irrelevant to this discussion. BTW how do you know of these murders.

The Muppet wrote:
    What have they to do with Limerick? If the answer to that question is nothing then that point is totally irrelevant to this discussion. BTW how do you know of these murders.

You do remember what the sentance of yours, that I was quoting was, don't you?
    You were trying to make out that the gangland situation in Limerick is unique, hence me pointing out that the situation in Dublin, is much of a sameness, or in fact, worse.

I mean, another guy was shoot dead in Dublin yesterday, that's what, three in the last couple of weeks? You really don't hav a leg to stand on!

You were trying to make out that the gangland situation in Limerick is unique, hence me pointing out that the situation in Dublin, is much of a sameness, or in fact, worse.

No I,m not , I,m trying to make out that the Ganland situsation is real and not an invention of the media as you alluded to earlier . Now that you have seen sense and admitted that the situation compared to Dublin "is much of a sameness" I take it that you have finally conceded that point.

TBH Billy I,m surprise at the childishness of that reply . Nowhere have I denied that Dublin has a serious crime problem or claimed that Limereick is worse than Dublin. I made it clear that my interest in this thread was the unfounded portrayal of the media being at fault for Limericks reputation.

If a moderator of this forum can't keep it on topic and uses irrelevant off topic links to somehow support their view it's not surprising that that some other users follow suite.

It's obvious this is not a forum for mature discussion so I,ll leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Limerick Dublilin Galway Cork New Bloody York its all the same
    crime is all around just because the media report on the crime
    dont mean its there fault. All the crime these days is over drugs
    and money any1 that knows Dublin and Limerick will tell you that
    one is as bad as the other to b honest this thread is a load of bs
    tbh stab city like come on.
    [URL=http:///www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=moyross&word2=caherdavin]googlefight[/URL]

The Muppet wrote:
    I take it that you have finally conceded that point.

What are you, like 5 or something!!!!
    The Muppet wrote:
    It's obvious this is not a forum for mature discussion so I,ll leave it at that.

Are you going to bring your toys home with you too. I'm acctually ashamed of myself for carrying on this discussion with you for so long! Everytime that anyone tried to defend Limerick in any way whatsoever, you completely ignored them. When they then brought forward the facts to back it up, you decide that you're too "mature," for this discussion, and run home to mammy!
    Please man, grow up!

Ricey is probably the only one on this thread with some common sence! This is a load of BS!!!!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The Muppet wrote:
    TBH Billy I,m surprise at the childishness of that reply . Nowhere have I denied that Dublin has a serious crime problem or claimed that Limereick is worse than Dublin. I made it clear that my interest in this thread was the unfounded portrayal of the media being at fault for Limericks reputation.

If a moderator of this forum can't keep it on topic and uses irrelevant off topic links to somehow support their view it's not surprising that that some other users follow suite.

Look, both Dublin and Limerick have a crime issue which needs badly to be dealt with. But the constant hamering of the media, through film, tv shows, newspapers of Limerick as being "stab City" is neither doing Limerick, nor the country any favours.

Tell me this, does dublin have an alternative name for it like lLimerick. I don't think so. why because there arent as many people in the dublin media too keen on creating one for it. better to knock another part of the country than ourselves. it is the oposite end of the spectrum to the parochial mindset that the irish people have. "Our area is the best, every one else is rubbish" sort of thing.

no one is stopping you from having a mature discussion.

• Advertisement

Karmafaerie

attack the post not the poster, please keep it civilised, that is a warning

ricey banned for one week, posts removed.

Sorry man, like I said, I was more pissed off at myself for being sucked in to an idiotic argument!

Wow, 2 dead in three days... that kinda stuff never happened in Limerick and look at the coverage!

They are saying now that it is a certain part of north dublin! How come they couldnt say it was a certain part of north Limerick, when the focus was here?

Well if it's a certain part of North Dublin, how come one of the shootings (the one in the pub), happened in the South of the city?!

Wow, 2 dead in three days... that kinda stuff never happened in Limerick and look at the coverage!

They are saying now that it is a certain part of north dublin! How come they couldnt say it was a certain part of north Limerick, when the focus was here?

actually they did. they actually said thomandgate and kings island area in various reports.

thing is though. groups like the Keanes have people on the southside, as do the McCarthey-Dundons, so these fellas are all over Limerick, or were before they all got arrested for the braveheart-esque scenes outside the ennis road supermacs.

Well the report i was listening to said all of the troubles were on the northside of dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

I recently (accidentally) stabbed my friend in woodwork class with a chisel. Wasn't serious or anything, had to get stitches in his hand. Of all the people in school who don't like this person, I was the only one to stab, and my Dad is from Limerick.I had an instictive longing to stab instead of punch or kick.

Say something about Limerick?

Yes!
    Yes it does!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

sorry bout havin to b banned billy the squid
    just a bit of a laugh sorry bout that.

w.dundon just got done yesterday over
    that barman in brannigans cant see that
    place lasting.... :cool:

This discussion has been closed.