Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why dont more people use mopeds/scooters?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lofidelity

So the costs add up and its not really cheap transport after all, unlike Spain or Italy. Some mornings when im on the pedal bike passing the traffic jams and i think those people would be in work in half the time if they had a scooter. I dont find that Dublin weather is as bad as people say, i wouldnt use the rain gear ten times a year.

After a hard day at work its not always easy facing a work out on the bike. An ebike would probably suit me but theres no storage which is handy on a scooter. Plus they cost €2-3 grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭heretothere

Where I live now it would be impractical. When I lived in Dublin I used the bus, a scooter would have meant lugging a helmet around for the day. Also probably getting drenched going to work or needed to then store overalls at work. Bus and brolly suited me

I have my driving a long time so i have an AM licence automatically so i can ride a 50cc without lessons. A used 50cc will likely be driven at max rev all the time so theyre not gonna last. All noise and no power too. Then most of the 125's have seen delivery duty so wear and tear will be high.

Some quick research and im estimating €400 for insurance, and another €400 for lessons. A new pcx 125 is €4.5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,574 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

They were really popular in the 90's amongst young Dublin lads. They'd often be seen in groups with the helmets sitting on top of their heads, not covering their faces. From what I can gather the messing, crashes (into each other mostly), theft and general acting the maggot torpedoed the insurance prices out of range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Agree I had a moped for 10 years, 50cc wasn't really quick enough to keep up with Traffic. I got a brand new 125cc scooter but had so much trouble with it always breaking. Never trusted myself with a bigger bike as have a heavy wrist. Thankfully my commute changed so could get a cheap car.

As others said it started to get expensive to insure the Moped, no fun in bad weather especially wind with rain as had to open Visor to see and getting smashed by the Rain. I even took it in the snow, if I had the same terrible commute now could take 50mins-2 hours in car depending on traffics/crashes etc might consider it again. Would take me 30 mins on Bike.

Actually what I found the most dangerous when I was on the road was not cars. I could kind of predict what a car was doing as I drove myself, worst was pedestrians and cyclists who step out in front of you without looking or come from nowhere in the traffic. Obviously the other main difference is if you had a crash much safer in a car.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

FYI, you can ebikes for €1000 or less. Sure some fancy ones are 2 to 3k, but loads of more standard ones for a lot less. Checkout Decathlon for examples.

Also worth checking if your employer supports the cycle to work scheme, can be up to almost 50% off a €1500 ebike or €3000 cargo bike and it spreads the payment over 4 years, making them extremely affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

In most of Europe you could ride a moped at 14 with no need for a licence, now you can still ride them but need a licence. In Ireland you have to wait till you are 16 to get a moped licence or 17 for a car licence so everyone goes for the car at 17. Your own wheels at 14 means that more people on the continent are using bikes way before they can drive and both sexes use them, in the UK and Ireland most bike riders are male and old .

Yeah its a different culture in the southern European countries. When im on holiday i often think how handy it must be. If you have that freedom as a teenager you will probably stay on two wheels as an adult.

I can never understand how people are content crawling through traffic every day. I would try to find another way, walk, bus, bike, scooter or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Emblematic

E-bikes and e-scooters are probably the way to go rather than mopeds and petrol scooters but the current designs fall short of what is required.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Do you mean in terms of speed/power/throttle? That is based on EU legislation that puts limits on ebikes.

In other countries you can often get ebikes with much higher speeds, throttle, etc. I think you can do that in some EU countries to, but then they aren't defined as regular ebikes, but as a sort of moped instead and thus require driving license, insurance, etc.

• Advertisement

Yes, some of it is legislation that needs to change. When I see a standup e-scooter with tiny wheels with a pole attached and a saddle on it, I think the person riding it really wants an e-bike but is put off by the lack of throttle and the requirement to pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭gossamerfabric

45kmph 50cc moped insurance costs 30 to 40 euro in Germany. Mopeds can be purchased in the larger chain stores for about 1000 quid. No motortax to worry about. No roadworthiness test. Acquisition is much easier in Germany and it will probably be where you left it when you return to where you parked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Moped is the licence type in Ireland and the EU. Scooter is a style of motorcycle, you can get mopeds in all motorcycle styles.

With the new legislation Escooters and ebikes are restricted to 25km/h and the bikes need to pedal assisted. If bikes can move on their own they are emopeds regardless of the top speed, they have changed the moped classification to be less than 4kW.

We will never legally have the high powered ebikes or Escooters like the USA. The question is will the Gardai enforce the law when the new legislation is enacted as a lot of the Escooters and ebikes currently in use will still be illegal.

True but legislation can change if it is not fit for purpose.

Power is only one aspect. I think the pedal-assisted aspect of the e-bike needs to change if we want to encourage their use.

People are already getting around this by instead purchasing e-scooters with attached saddles to have a seated vehicle that is electrically powered, but this also has its issues. Ultimately they are a bad design for the functionality they provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Exactly.

Bus and brolly means I don't run the risk of injury, don't have to worry about where to feed or park the pony safely, and can work while I'm travelling. And tax-saver makes it cheap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,775 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

With the new legislation Escooters and ebikes are restricted to 25km/h and the bikes need to pedal assisted. If bikes can move on their own they are emopeds regardless of the top speed, they have changed the moped classification to be less than 4kW.

one thing i am curious about - if i get a bike which can move under its own power, but is limited to 25km/h - does this classify as an e-scooter or not? under the old legislation, it was considered a moped, but can i claim under the new legislation, it's an e-scooter instead, and thus is 'legal'?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

You can't use them on a motorway, limited luggage space, weather, safety, limited scope for passengers, not viable for long journeys, prospect of theft. These are my reasons why I don't use one anyway.

No, it would be still classed as an emoped (perhaps not the right word, I need to look it up).

BTW escooters with a seat are illegal under the new legislation that seemingly comes into power from next Monday.

Of course all escooters were already illegal and yet people were using them, so I'm not sure if the new legislation is actually going to stop anyone using it.

BTW The new legislation caps the speed of escooters at 20km/h, no seats and you most be over 16.

BBTW I do agree that 20km/h for escooters and 25km/h for ebikes and no throttle is too restrictive. I'd rather see 25km/h for escooters and 30km/h for eikes and a throttle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I started driving on a moped and then a motorbike for a couple of years before buying my first car after I had my daughter. For a year or two after that, I kept both, using the motorbike for commuting until I had an accident that destroyed my confidence for two wheels (and messed up my knee and shoulder for a long time). I still think a motorbike was my favourite commuting method.

Anyway, I came on to post this, which I read this morning, though I expect it will be pretty much ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

how can they ban them for U16s when they haven't even finished bringing in the legislation making them legal in the first place?

• Advertisement

The RTE article is terrible, biased reporting!

It isn't really that escooters are banned for under 16's from Monday, as they are already banned for everyone!

It is that from Monday escooters will now be legal for everyone to use 16 or over, which is finally some good news on the matter.

RTE are putting a very clear and frankly disturbing bias on a good news story for improved mobility.

OK - that makes more sense. How long did it take to get that legislation through, 3 years? I feel sorry for any companies that were planning rolling out rental schemes - I believe DCC were issuing licenses in 2022.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Just to point out that there is no speed limit for ebikes — 25km/h is just where the motor cuts out. If you want to do 30, pedal harder!

Absolutely, you are right, good clarification, it as a limitation on the device rather then a speed limit.

I will say, at least with the cheaper ebikes, it is hard to go faster then 25km/h, they are heavy and when the motor stops, you are then pedalling against that weight and resistance and it is no fun. I'd say the majority of ebike users wouldn't really get up to much faster then 25. Of course there are some fancy racing ebikes where it might be easier.

my experience of commuting alongside eBikes is they smoke me taking off from the lights, then I overtake them as they top out at 25, then they overtake me again next time we hit traffic lights. rinse and repeat. Unless it's Deliveroo riders who are all doing 40km/h+ without pedalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

I had one years ago. My doctor saw me with my helmet and commented that he hadn’t realised I was an organ donor. Apparently it’s a term often used to describe bikers

• Registered Users Posts: 33,218 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Another law that won't be enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,918 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

In Australia, I had a coversation with a nurse - a friend of a friend. She described the smug-satisfaction with which nurses scrub road rash wounds clean of embedded dirt, sand gravel, using a very stiff bristled brush, similar to what you might scrub a doorstep with - sterilised of course. I accused her of pulling my leg, but she was adamant that it was true. Had a very straight face so might be true. Apparently the nurses quite liked the blood curdling screams of pain the big tough bikers would make.

She said the medical profession refer to bikers as 'temporary Australians.'

I had a motorbike licence before I had one for a car, and earned the money with which to buy my first car bomb riding a Honda for the aus post. I rode a bike to and from school for 11 years.

Got a few scarpes, bent bike wheels from being run off the road by a bus, minor gravel rash I thankfully never sought reatment for, and bruise,s from my time with two wheeled transport. None such from several decades more driving cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Yeah there is an attitude that bikers are organ donors. It used to annoy me. Now, I don't give a sh1t. Yeah, it has its dangers but there is so much to love about biking.
    Those that often refer to bikers as organ donors have likely never been on a bike or would often only look at the negative headlines in the tabloids.

• Advertisement

I'm not a biker, but I think the dangers are overstated. it's an activity that attracts headcases; if you're not a headcase yourself it's probably a lot safer than the statistics suggest.

Advertisement