Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why dont more people use mopeds/scooters?

Options
  • 13-05-2024 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

In European cities there are much more scooters than Irish cities. Here it seems 90% of them are for fast food deliveries only. So why dont Irish commuters buy scooters? It could be the key to freeing up the streets of Dublin and Galway in particular.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,216 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd guess some big factors are:

- additional cost if you already own a car

- weather

- worried about being in an accident

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Publish the moped scooter kill/injury rate in Europe?

Theft is a big barrier: from home or wrk or shopping: all you need is a white van

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I had one back in the late 90’s early 00’s as we couldn’t afford two cars, it was a pain in the hole, whether rain was forecast or not wet gear would be on because as sure as night follows day I’d get p1ssed on, stuck it out for 18 months or so, the climate here is a big negative

• Registered Users Posts: 9,673 ✭✭✭billyhead

Irish people in general are a bunch of snowflakes when it comes to the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I find the scooters and mopeds dangerous. Even worse, all those idiots having headphones on, while riding them. They are accidents waiting to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Ah, it's not just a bit of rain.

In my opinion, living in Dublin, it was a combination of rain, dark mornings and evenings for 5 months of the year, poor visibility, and motorists who I felt were either trying to splash me, or knock me down.

The same thing you hear from anyone who travels on two wheels.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I think they fall awkwardly between an ebike and a car in a manner that simply isn't worth it.

On the one hand you have to still get a driver license (theory test, driving test, instruction, etc) and still have to get insurance, road tax, etc.

So a lot of time and effort and when you are all set and done you are limited to just 45km/h and not much use outside a city.

ebikes on the other hand don't require any of that, just buy the bike and off you go and will buzz along at 25km/h which is sufficient for most trips in a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,916 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It rains, snows and sometimes there is ice on the road. Doing the weekly shop for 3 adults fills 80% of the boot of my hatchback. Took the recycling to the centre the other week, had to take the rear parcel shelf out so the large bag of general waste and the equal sized bag of recycling could fit standing up, blocking any rearward visibility out the rear window. On the back seat I put two cardboard boxes full of cans and glass.

I know in parts of Asia there are some who would fit more than that on a scooter, and their granny, but this isn't Asia.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You know you can get your grocery's delivered by Tesco, Dunnes, etc.? I've been using such services for 20+ years (start with Quinnsworth!).

Also DCC have a service that will pick up bulky recycling.

Plenty of options these days for people who don't want, need or can drive.

I know. Don't live near Dublin and such a service isn't available. The weekly shop takes Tesco, Lidl and Aldi to fulfill requirements.

Go back a few years and the same car was taking 2 kids to school, PS and then HS and then later I'd make several trips a year to Dublin carrying a full size PC, 3 monitors, bedding and all the rest of the stuff my son needed for college.

That went on for 4 years.

Then there was taking all the tools and food and bedding needed for stays at the holiday property I sold recently, not to mention the considerable amount of luggage for family skiing holidays which on top of all the clothing included 2 pairs of Ski boots

At least a couple times a year I'd have need to fold the rear seats flat to carry bulkier items.

I can't get my head around the simple restrictive existence that some can fulfill with a bicycle or scooter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that is a argument for car ownership, rather than an argument against moped ownership though?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭timmyntc

That sounds like your living situation forces car dependence.

If you live in a town or city you do not need to drive to 3 shops, drive to school. Those once off cases like dropping bulky stuff to college for a child is real 1st world problems. Plenty of students get all that and more brought 4 hours away to uni via this invention called the bus?

Family skiing holidays - why not take an airport shuttle? Its probably cheaper than airport parking. Again 1st world problems

Insurance and general lack of availability are the 2 big factors. Prohibitive cost of insurance in this country means there is no such thing as truly 'cheap' motoring, so that low end market segment that might use a moped is pretty much priced out entirely. So the starting rung is people who can afford a car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Buffman

I presume you mean 'normal' ICE powered mopeds/scooters? Why bother with all the hassle and cost of needing a driving licence, motor tax or motor insurance when you can just hop on an e-scooter/e-bike and not have to bother with any of that?

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

It's a good enough question to ask. I have a 300cc scooter myself and its dead handy with heaps of storage under the seat. Would not go out in bad weather, as, I live in the countryside.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,571 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I have a massive shopping bill, my kids are in college, I frequently go on ski holidays and have my own ski boots, I also have a holiday property. I can't possibly have a bike or scooter, even though I can obviously afford many bikes and scooters.

I live near Limerick, not Dublin, which answers all your why nots. I think it's around 74% of the population don't live in Dublin, which is something those who do, never seem to appreciate. I like where I live, it's nice and dark at night, so when comets or Aurora events happen, I get to enjoy them from my back yard and don't need to drive for over an hour to somewhere dark to get away from the light pollution. And by day, I get to enjoy nice views.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a friend of my wife has a scooter and said the main issue in winter is keeping warm, rather than the rain IIRC.

on a bicycle at least you're generating body heat.

the OP was clearly about moped and scooter use in cities, so i suspect a response from someone who doesn't live in a city doesn't answer the question that was being asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Maybe this thread isn't directed towards yourself then. Don't think we need to know all the reasons that you specifically can't have a moped to ferry an army load of stuff around.

I think the OP meant in large cities ie, Dublin compared to our European/Asian counterparts like Rome, Barcelona, Paris Bangkok etc. where moped/scooter usage is much higher as a % of road travel. As many have said the cost of owning one isn't too dissimilar to car ownership when you factor in insurance and tax. There's far more benefits to owning a car than a moped for not too much more money.

If it was made more affordable I think they would be used a lot more especially in 2 car families, most could easily swap one car for a scooter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

Had a small bike myself for years - had to let it go due to

1. Insurance - crazy high insurance- stopped when my quote got more than a car.
    2. Wet weather danger - Found cornering dangerous, Leaves on road especially after rain + wind..
    3. Theft and vandalism if you leave it anywhere outside.
    4. The weight of gear you have to carry- leathers, helmet, gloves, waterproofs, boots, 2 chain locks…
    5. Cost of repairs as importing parts from especially uk is/was expensive.

The above list is not as much an issue in other countries, where you dont need as much gear and the costs are much less.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Car dependency is not a thing in many cities and towns all over the country.

I would hazard a guess and say less than 74% population do not need to drive to the shop or the local school. It is not a Dublin city only thing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Fast food deliveries are done by a majority of electric scooters. Mopeds then your into licensing and Initial Basic Training (IBT), which is another cost. Then insurance. So the cost keeps rising. When people look at the overall outlay and include gear - helmet, jacket, gloves, boots etc. It soon ads up. Would be fairly off putting to somebody trying to keep budgets down.

You're making stupid points regarding scooters. Nobody rides a scooter or cycles to a ski resort with their ski boots in the winter. Stop boasting, it's not becoming and you've nobody else to blame but yourself if you're that car dependent you can't go anywhere without using one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I'm surprised that more households don't use mopeds to go from a two car household to a one car household. You still have the car when you need to transport bulkier items/ do the shopping/ drive sick children to the hospital.

Lots of people I know have two cars and one is only use for a short drive to work and home again.

I know a good few that have swapped the second car for a cargo bike around my area. I think the cargo bike is the new moped.

I was about to say, electric cargo bikes really seem to be taking off in my area of Dublin city. Lots of families seem to be giving up their second car for one. No need for insurance, etc. so much cheaper and while limited to just 25km/h, that is perfectly fine for getting around the local area, drops the kids to local school, local classes, stop at local shop, etc.

Of course I'm talking about urban areas here, cities, towns, etc. No one is suggesting it for deep in the countryside!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Juran

I think you now need a full drivers licenses or motorbike license to drive one. Up until a few years ago, you could ride a moped on a provisonal license. I used to see a good few around in the 80's and 90's. Tax and insurance used to be cheap as a friend of mine had one. Havent seen a moped in years. You see them all over UK and NI used by Food delivery guys.

Getting a license, plus mandatory lessons, insurance and cost of a moped is expensive. There is hardly no second market in ireland for mopeds so I,d say you have pay full whack for a new one if you want to buy one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Drove a moped on a commute for over ten years.

Weather was manageable, however, had to incorporate a school run, which ended that arrangement.

Advertisement