Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange issue with register of electors

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

You are either being a troll or you genuinely don’t understand how the system works. Of course it matters how many addresses you are registered at .
    If I am registered at five different addresses and the five of them are aligned to five different polling stations , I get five polling cards. I choose busy times at which to attend ( to avoid the possibility of being asked for proof of address ) and I can vote five times at the same plebiscite.
    The system simply does not have the capacity to effectively resurrect old addresses / voters etc .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I choose busy times at which to attend ( to avoid the possibility of being asked for proof of address )

i've never been asked for actual proof of address - just that my name matches the one on the polling card. if you produce a driver's licence (which has an address); 'yeah, i have moved house since that was issued'. they're not going to argue with that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I remember voting and another voter was checked and deemed to not be allowed to vote because he was no longer living at that address. He was a well known person, as was the well reported fact he no longer living at that address.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

Eircode already does that - the issue is more that people just need to provide their Eircode to the electoral register.

The properties are all assigned an Eircode.

One thing that would speed it up, is assigning an Eircode when planning applications are finalised and approved. It's taking too long for some new estates to get codes, which happens as An Post notices the addresses.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

This is funny, this has happened to my OH this year. We moved to the area 2 years ago, we never got around to registering to the new address but a polling card arrived for him for the most recent referendum.

OH had some dealings with a local councillor for a safety issue behind our property which he helped to resolve so we've assumed he's the one who added him to the register. I was shocked at the time but OH reckons that's just the way things are done here 🤷

Advertisement