Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d’Italia 2024

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Amazing to think of the numbers in professional racing. I'm only really comprehending it since I got a cheapo bike computer and can properly see my average speed in general vs the likes of Ganna. Not that you'd ever hope or expect to be anywhere near but it's nice to see the difference. Makes you appreciate it more. Roughly speaking for every 2 kilometres I do Ganna would do 5.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It’s the power that is really awe inspiring. Spend depends on wind and hills. Power is always power.

I can maintain Ganna’s 20min ftp for about 2mins.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I’m being generous to myself. Ganna’s 20min ftp is 525w. **** me.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 25,043 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

In terms of raw animal power he really is the new Indurain. It's only the changed landscape of cycling stops him from being a GC contender in the same way.

With the similarly naturally big Dumoulin you could see he had to choose one or the other in terms of his body.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Tomorrow's stage will be even worse in making us realise how far away we are. 5000m elevation. I did 2000m in 100km a few weeks ago and barely made it home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

We'll go the Carlton route with the preview again.

A monster, an absolute brute, the Queen stage. Not only the toughest test in this Giro but also the longest. We could lose some of the sprinters on this stage as the time gaps could be huge.

The stage starts in Manerba del Garda. There are neolithic ruins which suggests a settlement in the area in 4000 BC or earlier.

The name Manerba is believed to have been used in devotion to the goddess Minerva.

The first climb of note on the day is the Mortirolo pass after about 145km which connects the ancient area of Val Comonica, where people are believed to have resided 15000 years ago and left a large collection of rock art behind them, and Mazzo do Valtellina, another ancient area which at one stage was conquered by the Roman Empire and then somewhere around 489 AD became part of the Ostrogothic Kingdom of Theodoric the great.

The Mortirolo Pass has been used many times in the tour, the first time was 1990 when the Venezuelan Leonardo Sierra won, the legendary Marco Pantani won in 1994 and the two great Ivans, Gotti and Basso, both twice winners of the Tour, won stages when using this climb twice.

The climb is a very even and tough 7.6% gradient for most of its 12.6 km but hits 16% near the top.

After descending this climb it's pretty much up hill for the rest of the stage, about 50 km. With about 25 km left they get the Passo Di Foscagno which runs for about 15 km with a more friendly 6.4% gradient and it's toughest part is 11%, then after a short downhill the last 4.6 km averages just over 7.7% but hits a brutal 19% section as we reach Passo di Eira.

At the finish line the riders will hop off their bikes some 7250 feet above sea level.

Yes we all think this will be Pogs stage but there are question marks due to the thin air at the heights they will reach towards the end of the stage.

It could be a stage for a South American.

But Pog is not human so I'll pick him to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Morris Garren

This reminds me of those older epic 7-hour stages of yesterear; Martin Earley won a stage like this in his heyday and perhaps it's finally a day to let a breakaway get 10 minutes up the road and leave them to it. With that in mind however, the list of possibilities is fairly huge. Geschke will surely be in the break once again and would like to see him succeed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Calmajare not in a good mood, shouting at the Astana car and now shouting at his own team car.

He has a chance to go into second in the mountains classification so wonder what's wrong with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Nairoman to roll back the years today

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Pog goes with 13k to go. Blimey.

• Advertisement

Im getting sick of all these "cannibal" style riders. Even the ones I like I'm starting to dislike.

Well this is one of those performances that gets tongues wagging in certain quarters if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The gap in quality between him and the others here can’t be overstated either to be fair. He’s an alien, but he doesn’t that do to Remco, Roglic or Jonas. They’re the only ones in the same world as him really

Peak Jonas maybe but I think in his current form peak Remco and Roglic would still struggle. Maybe not as much as G and Martinez.

There has been a huge problem all season with none of the big riders meeting across any of the various specialities in the big races .

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

except for Basque Country and they all crashed out together.

I think he’d beat them, but not by 3 minutes like he did today. That’s all I’m saying. Hopefully they’re all at peak for the Tour

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭andyd12

Hard not to see Pogacar winning the TdF.

Vingegaard and Remco missed alot of time through injury.

Roglic is another year older, he just about beat Thomas last year in the Giro. Look what Pog is doing to Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

Remco, even in top form, wouldn't win The Tour I think. Not a hope IMO with either or both of Pog or Ving there. He's not in their league for a Grand Tour 3 weeker

Post edited by G1032 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Remco will try & fail for GC then win 2 stages in week 3 for the adoration as usual.

I actually think he’d lose a minute to Vingegaard on stage with 5400 meters of climbing. Vingegaard is one of the greatest pure climbers I’ve ever seen.

The hyperbole needs to stop. This is like Contador winning the Giro with no Purrito, Schleck brothers or Froome etc riding. Thomas is over the hill. .

they/them/theirs

A multi TdF champion is always gonna blitz the Giro. The disappointing part from a neutral viewpoint is that he bothered to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Whether or not you're a fan of his Merckxian style, as least Pog has attacked. Thomas has done feck all the last two weeks and just Menchov'd his way into second place.

I have no sympathy for the rest of the GC. I just wish he wouldn't Pantani all the breakaways.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It's hard to say with on form Jonas and on form Visma. Visma have exposed Pog on these sort of days by making the whole day hard, which it wasn't really today, rather than a w/kg test on the last climb only.

I’m not disappointed at all. This Giro is about a million times better than last years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Gimme Pog devouring the mortals with a smile on his face over the Skytrain style robo-superdoms suffocating the life out of races any day of the week.

I'd love to have seen Pog race Contador… two riders who can't resist an attack. Shame they were a decade apart.

Pog would have lost time to Contador in stages like yesterday. But beaten him overall due to his better TT performance and his ability to finish in the mountains.

It really can’t be underestimated how hard yesterday was. They were essentially climbing 70km to the top of the Mortirolo. One of the most epic climbs there is. A real lightweight climber like Vingegaard or Contador would have the advantage over Pogacar. Martinez and Thomas don’t.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Heard on a podcast (LRCP?) that the only GC person other than Pog who has attacked in the 2 weeks to date has been Tibieri, and that was to try and shake Uijtdebroeks for the white jersey. O'Connor & Martinez got burrned trying to follow Pog, whereas Thomas just hasn't bothered.

Advertisement