Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 Shocking End Times Prophecies "The earth will become a great graveyard". The end of times

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Mod: @barbara73, please restrict any further posts on this topic to this thread. All other threads from the same source have been deleted and starting new threads on the same topic will result in a ban. Thanks for your attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 barbara73

ok, thank you for kept this topic, the information on these channels is very important for many people who are looking for the spirituality of God and hope

Post edited by barbara73 on

7 traits of a godly person according to the Bible. Qualities that attract God's blessings!

7 characteristics of a godly man according to the Bible. Qualities that attract God's blessings! God's attributes are the foundation of spiritual growth and an authentic relationship with God. These qualities, based on religious and spiritual values, distinguish a pious person from others. It is a lifestyle based on religious and spiritual values that shapes our thoughts, attitudes and actions. Pieta shapes our interior, our values and priorities. A godly person puts God first in his life and guides his decisions according to his teachings. It is an attitude that requires humility and devotion, but brings deep satisfaction and spiritual joy. Godliness is also the development of virtue and the improvement of character. A godly person seeks to grow in virtues such as patience, humility, patience, wisdom and honesty. It is self-improvement that leads to a more authentic and integrated life.

Godliness is deeply rooted in biblical and spiritual values that lead us to an authentic relationship with God. Jesus, our Savior, is the center of our devotion, and the Church is the place where we worship God together and where we grow our faith.

Prayer is a key element of our godliness. This is the time when we open our hearts to meet God and bring our joys and sorrows to Him. Through prayer, studying the Holy Scriptures and listening to sermons, we find the way to salvation and the gospel becomes a source of truth and hope for us.

Baptism is a sacrament that signifies our conversion and acceptance of life in the Holy Spirit. Through this sacrament, we are accepted into the community of the church and become part of God's family. The redemption we receive through Christ on the cross gives us a chance at forgiveness and eternal life.

Mercy is a gift that we receive from God and that we should show to others. Through mercy we discover the beauty and power of forgiveness that leads us to holiness. The Holy Spirit is present in our lives, strengthens our faith and guides us on the path of truth.

Community is an integral part of our worship. Together we pray, sing and share testimonies of conversion, building bonds and strengthening our faith. Praying the rosary is an exercise that focuses us on the life and mystery of Christ, and adoration allows us to honor God in the Eucharist.

The cross is a symbol of our piety, it reminds us of Christ's sacrifice for our salvation. In love for God and neighbor we discover the meaning and purpose of our life. Humility leads us to recognize our weakness and dependence on God, and the testimony of conversion is evidence of how powerfully God works in our lives.

The soul is the deepest dimension of our being that longs for connection with God. Eternal life, the promise we receive from Jesus, inspires us to strive for greater holiness. All this is possible thanks to the action of the Holy Spirit in our hearts, who leads us on the path of conversion and renewal.

Godliness is not just a collection of words and concepts, but a deep experience of love and relationship with God. It is an openness to His action in our lives and a readiness to follow His teachings. Godliness is not a static state, but a dynamic journey on which we develop our faith, strengthen our soul, and experience the ineffable beauty of God's love.

A godly life is living in harmony with God's plan and bringing His love to the world. It is not just the practice of religious rituals, but above all a true commitment to developing a relationship with God and implementing His teachings into everyday life. Piety leads us to a fuller knowledge of ourselves, a deeper understanding of our vocation and placing our hearts in God's hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 rs232

I see there are more progressives here. Thinking one level above all this, thinking meta about religion thus, or even more all encompassing, all the political “PC” ideologies out there, who is right and who is wrong?

What is right and wrong?

If we cannot agree on it there will be constant argument… maybe chaos.

you mention rapture for example. I think that’s wrong. That’s not biblical nor believed in the universal Church. But saying that about the church these days is neither here nor there, it has been subverted by heresy and is largely humanist rather than theist.

As I said, what is right or wrong?

What is the purpose of The Church / religion ? Officially it is to lead souls to God, NOT worldly concerns.

Thinking outside the box. One could say it is for control / unity of the people. If you want to be more critical.

What’s wrong with that? What is right? What is wrong anyway?

I also want to put out my view that the church as it stands today seemingly has NO capacity nor desire to weed out heresy, it is lukewarm, which is why we see bizarre things from clown masses to bizarre art and idols installed in the Vatican and bizarre right wing responses to these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

"Plus you do realise that Jesus shares the same religion as Benjamin Netanyahu - they are both Jewish, Jesus was born a Jew and died a Jew. He is not a Christian"

Your comment is either deceptive or very silly and confused.

Jesus Christ's ministry is hardly accepted within mainstream Judaism. Do you know any Jews who cite Jesus Christ as a rabbi whose teachings they endorse?

Modern Judaism is descended from Phariseeism, which Jesus (as a rabbi) taught was basically the wrong way and spirit in which to understand the Scriptures (see the Gospels).

Jesus Christ himself taught the right way to understand these Scriptures and whether you split hairs about whether or not this should be called "Christianity" or something else, it is not accepted as standard Judaism by Jews or non-Jews.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Shoog

Religion as practiced is definitely about control. Trace all religions back to their origins and you arrive at the gnostic experience of shamanism - a very real and tangible communication with other worlds. All religions at heart are a perversion of those real tangible experiences which are still open to everyone.

Christianity as practiced is a barrier to direct gnostic experience, it's a substitution and a tool of social control. End times prophecies are just another tool of control.

Whether you feel society benefits from that sort of control is a personal opinion - but I do not. To many attrocities and persecutions to be called a force for good.

yes, shamanists and mystics and ascetics can connect to other worlds, as well as communicate with beings from other worlds, but mostly they are demons...

and god is not a church, he doesn't need to control you...

you can join other worlds even as a Christian ascetic

In practice mass atheism, and especially some of the metaphysical assumptions some contemporary people promote (e.g. "life is a simulation" - which you see plastered all over the media) have left many people passive and confused.

So I would say that, in practice, atheism in some of the forms it takes can be used as a tool of social control too.

The strict all-encompassing and hierarchical religious control of the past seems to be a mismatch for modern consciousness - but that doesn't have to stop people from believing in God and trying to walk in the way of Jesus Christ.

What I mean is, you don't have to obey bishops and suchlike to be a Christian. It's up to you how you want to practice being a Christian - you could be independent and 100% conscience-driven. (And serve as an example to others.)

In there here and now Christian belief is only a tool of social control if you let yourself experience it as a tool of social control. Or it could be the basis for personal spiritual strength and a good life.

I encourage everyone to become a Christian and not be held back by incoherent theology*, 'traditional' social control - not applicable in 2024, it's just a fact that the Archbishop of Dublin or whoever can't tell you what to do so if you want to be an independent Christian no one can stop you - or other tertiary objections, most of which I consider irrelevant once you think them through.

Once you pare things down to the fundamental metaphysical assumptions about existence - you can choose to believe we live in a random, and/or determined, universe or you can choose to believe something else.

Most people now treat atheism as if it were a fact to be disproved. But do they realise that they have in a way stacked the deck by starting from this assumption?

If you lived in medieval Europe all your assumptions from your culture, your family, 'public discourse', friends, colleagues etc. would lead you to first assume Christian belief was true and you would then need to think your way to becoming an atheist. Now the situation is reversed: the (cultural and intellectual) air you breathe is a-theistic.

*Like the 'traditional' mishmash of Hellenic philosophy and Christian scripture which creates all kinds of paradoxes - like having to believe in God's total omnipotence (whether that even makes sense), though that isn't clear from the Bible imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The part that people get triggered about is that you have to share the wealth. Jesus would not have had N houses, cars, holidays, meals ...when others had none. That's the hard message that is never really covered anywhere, because the church knows people won't accept that message. So, you'll have people up in arms about divorce, abortion, etc, when they are quite happy to have the extra car which they could actually managed without and give the money to the poor and starving, and save some lives. People are quite happy to go to mass, and charge ridiculous high inflated rents on their properties. That's why I can't goto mass. It's full of po faced hypocrites. They are quite happy to turn their noses up at "godless" Chinese people but are quite happy that the same people make their electronic crap and Christmas decorations in horrible conditions, not to mention the destruction on their environments.

My atheism proceeds from my acceptance of the scientific method. If it can't be measured, described and manipulated by physical forces it doesn't exist. It would offer some comfort to believe in things I cannot prove exist - but what value is that comfort to me if I know it is based upon a lie about what I understand the world to be.

Life's meaning is the meaning we bring to our lives, our good deeds and intents are the witness to our existence and need no validation other than from our peers. If more people lived by this dictum we would live in a far better world.

I know a few very good Christians, but they are good despite their religion rather than because of it.

Whether you realise it or not, the belief that only the physical exists and is really-real is an underlying, structuring belief to the follow-on belief that "If it can't be measured, described and manipulated by physical forces it doesn't exist."

The scientific method is metaphysically neutral: it measures the physical and that is all. The scientific method is a method. It has nothing to tell us about anything that doesn't fall within its purview.

Whether anything out-with the physical world exists has nothing to do with accepting or not accepting the scientific method.

The scientific method covers all things which can be verified to exist. It is a belief that other things exist and a belief by it's very essence is not provable. I explicitly choose not to accept beliefs as real and this has served me well in distancing myself from all sorts of crack pot ideas both mundane and metaphysical.

Utility is my yardstick in what I accept as real - religion has zero utility to me. Why should I choose to accept things which are to all intents and purpose abstract ideas ?

I am not going to try to dissuade anyone from belief ( that is a hard and painful path that one can only ever travel alone) but I will defend my position to the end of days.

Getting down to the deepest baseline, no beliefs at the bottom line metaphysical level are 'provable' - since you could also claim that the physical isn't real/is a hallucination and challenge someone to disprove this belief.

People do claim this (e.g. "life is a simulation/matrix" etc., etc.). In fact, only atheists claim this* - as normal Christian belief encompasses the belief that the physical world is real, among other things.

*Well, also some Eastern religions believe it, and one or two fringe Christian philosophers throughout history like Berkeley. But in the 2024 here and now western world it is promoted as a quasi-mainstream belief by some atheists in the media.

There is zero utility in a person not believing in a real physical world - because all our sense data tells us we do occupy a physical world. I know that all our sense data is simply us watching our brain processes inside our heads so ultimately could be unreal - but again there is no utility in this line of thought so I refuse to indulge it.

Speculation beyond this is just mental masturbation - a self indulgence few people have time for.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's irrelevant. Islam, Christianity and Judaism are the three Abrahamic religions. They all believe in the same god. At some point each one breaks away and does it's own thing (ie, Christianity and it's Trinity ideas) but that doesn't change the fact that it's the same root god.

You share the same god with those Islamic extremists. How does that sit with you?

Well you had better explain that to atheists who don't believe in a real physical world then. Because there are such people.

Meanwhile, even the belief that 'utility' determines the validity of truth is assumed. How do you know this in a way you can prove - other than that it 'feels right', logical and intuitive to you?

The utility is to me, it doesn't need to be anything more. I define utility.

What people choose to believe is entirely up to them so atheists who believe life is a simulation are of no concern to me.

DO NOT IGNORE THESE SIGNS - THESE SHORT SIGNS THAT SATAN HAS SENT THIS PERSON TO DESTROY YOU!

We often encounter people who use their influence to persuade us to act at the expense of others, or to persuade us to ignore moral and religious principles. Such people often use manipulation, lies and other subconscious means to achieve their goals. The film presents the various ways in which demons can manipulate our lives and lead us down the path of sin and evil.

Today, many people may view the existence of demons as something that belongs to the realm of mythology and fantasy, but as the Bible says, the existence of demons is a reality that must be taken seriously. Why? Because demonic forces have been present and exerted their influence on people many times before. It is worth remembering that Jesus Christ, the Son of God, many times cast out demons from people, healed them and cleansed them. Therefore, as Christians, we cannot ignore the existence of demons and their influence on our lives.

However, demonic influences are often not obvious and difficult to identify. Satan, as a master of disguises, is able to deceive us perfectly. Demons can influence us through other people who act like "evil incarnate", manipulate us, destroy our relationships with others and bring chaos into our lives. We often don't realize that it can be the influence of demonic forces.

Satan's temptation can take many forms. Satan can cause people to sin. Satan can also tempt people to abandon their values and beliefs and become more in control of their desires and passions. Satan can work through other people in different ways. He often uses human weakness and imperfection to make people commit sins. Satan can use greed, jealousy, anger, and other negative emotions to get people to do things they would not otherwise do.

To successfully fight Satan, it is important to maintain a close relationship with God. We should pray daily, read the scriptures, and exercise our faith to build our spiritual strength. A key element in the fight against Satan is to constantly strive for good and avoid sin and temptation. It is worth developing your spiritual life, caring for relationships with other people and seeking positive experiences. In this way, if we avoid the negative influences of Satan, we will be able to achieve inner peace and happiness.

• Advertisement

There is only one true God.

Though now man, in his brilliance, worships himself and whatever whim of the day, FoTM it may be.

Speaking one level up, meta if you like, as someone else mentioned here. Is it all meaningless? Is the world completely deterministic? Do I have a choice? If I don’t, your question matters not. Once, I embraced nihilism, deism, agnosticism then atheism, believing in a clockwork universe.

Now, but for the grace of God, I think, I don’t and have repented. I live a very orthodox life. I go to Mass and Penance et cetera, do what I’m supposed to do, do not do what I’m not supposed to do and am far happier. Yes, that means a highly disciplined existence.

Do I give up science? No. Of course not. I just accept science and logic cannot explain my experience of being me, apparently having free will and choices, … and if it did, thus describing a super deterministic cosmos, my existence and will and any decision I make doesn’t matter anyway.

I am Irish. I am Catholic. I accept that and yield to the God and Faith of my forefathers.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭myfreespirit

"Your comment is either deceptive or very silly and confused."

With respect, the assertion that Jesus was born a Jew and died a Jew, is supported by eminent scholars such as Geza Vermes, who was, until his death Professor Emeritus of Jewish Studies and Emeritus Fellow at Wolfson College Oxford, a renowned scholar and expert in Jewish history

His book, Jesus the Jew: A Historian's Reading of the Gospels, Minneapolis, Fortress Press 1973 ISBN 0-8006-1443-7 is a strong case in support of @Shoog 's post above

Master of the Universe

'There is only one true God'

I really find the absolute belief some people have in such statements incredible.

Imagine having the arrogance to think you'd all the answers to an infinitely old universe.

Are you, or are you not, also claiming that Jesus shares the same religion as Benjamin Netanyahu?

Because I didn't dispute that Jesus Christ died a Jew but I'm saying - which I didn't realise was even controversial - that Jesus' ministry represented a radical break with Phariseesism and its modern descendant in contemporary Judaism.

Obviously neither modern day Jews or non-Jews consider following Jesus' teaching is, or can be, just another branch of Judaism.

In other words, Jesus Christ was a highly heterodox rabbi. It should not be implied that he he belonged to the orthodox stream of Judaism either then or now because that is untrue and confusing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Not seeking to explore those things that don't derive from observation of the physical universe and/or can't be proven through scientific investigation could equally be considered both narrow minded and short sighted. Examples that come to mind are pure abstracts such as mathematics and social constructs such as language. Both of these have undeniable utility. The scientific method is a wonderful tool for scientific investigation, but there is rather more to humanity experience and endeavor than science.

As a life-long atheist myself, I enjoy and nurture a sense of wonder. I also personally believe that the amount humanity will ever know about the universe will only ever be the tiniest fraction of what there is to know.

Which is not an excuse for either making things up or accepting made up things.

There is nothing narrow minded in refusing to accept unverifiable stories about reality.

Maths maps extremely well to observation so it has huge utility in understanding the universe. The current model that science uses to describe the origins of the universe is so deeply flawed in the details of its progression that I absolutely refuse to accept it as fact.

I totally understand your point of view! I can think that way, too.

Neverthess, extra ecclesiam nulla salus.

I can warn you, sure, but sure, if you do not listen… ah, well. I’ll still buy you a pint.

I can’t prove eternity exists, no more than I can prove I have free will but I choose to believe in both. I could be wrong, eh, but eh, my chosen way of life, the way my folks brought me up, that seems to be doing me fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,135 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

.... but a priest, teacher or parent told them, so it must be true.

They can dismiss science if they want, but at least science is based on measurable facts. Science actually goes out of its way to proof itself, whereas religion is simply tales passed down throughout time, yet believed beyond doubt without any evidence whatsoever.

Who is 'dismissing science'?

As I said upthread, measuring and studying aspects of the physical world is not itself proof that nothing apart from the physical world exists. How would studying the physical world help you establish that anyway? It wouldn't, you would just be starting from a circular assumption and travelling around the circle.

Science and (philosophical) materialism aren't synonymous or even related. Which is why many scientists past and present were/are Christians.

What 'counts as evidence' is also determined by prior assumption. By saying there is 'no evidence whatsoever' you are telling us that things like testimony of people who were Jesus' contemporaties is - according to you - not evidence under any definition. Yet historians, law courts etc. do accept testimony, including written testimonies, as evidence.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Again, imagine having the arrogance to feel that you are in a position to warn people about their standing in an infinite universe. It beggars belief. Who are you to warn me? You don't even know me.

You believe what you want to believe, I've no issue with that. What I take issue with is you feeling the need to warn me about something you've no actual proof of beyond a 'feeling'.

Advertisement