Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 World Championships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Drama now

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Wilson doesn’t deserve this frame

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭maximus15

I love Virgo but it's a wonder ref hasn't said stop f**king shouting John. Great end of frame this .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Jones has played a lot of wrong shots in my opinion. And he's been lucky… so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭rolling boh

That will sting Jak there that last frame huge two frame swing .Terrible risky shot .

• Advertisement

Unmissable for a pro

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭LetticebCivil

He will not sleep great after that frame. He has put up a fight though

why in gods name did he play that double? It was a 3/10 shot

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭sully123

Entertaining frame, but reckless shot selection by both players surely

• Registered Users Posts: 18,459 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That black ball game 17th frame will go down in legend like Davis v Taylor 1985.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Great drama, Jones had to win that.

Jones has picked it up massively, maybe feeding off the crowd supporting him.

That double was close by Jones, but it was the wrong choice again I think. Massive swing, 5 frames when it looked like it was going to be 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

That was bizzare alright I assumed that he was just going to roll the ball over the pocket, could be the turning point of the whole match that shot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yep we'll be talking about it for over 20 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭fran38

The relative poor standard where pots are missed is making this final riveting all of a sudden.

Ya, I didn't think about that. Rolling the yellow up would have been the choice in hindsight. Earlier in the break he was lucky some of the balls dropped, they did so because there wasn't much pace and they wobbled in. The yellow might have done likewise with less pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,887 ✭✭✭patrickc

I hate Murphy as a commentator, and Virgo is so negative

• Registered Users Posts: 18,459 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Murphy is good I think. But the way Virgo talks you would swear he was a world beater snooker player.

Years ago I had an old coach who would use Virgo as his main example, 30 years a pro and one tournament win. Because he had no "back pause" in his cue action. That is what he thought of him.

I seem to remember Mark Williams said he turns off snooker commentary because he cannot listen to some of them. Talking a good game. I assume he meant Virgo.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Its sold out. Transport links in Sheffield are poor. People relying on busses and trains leave before the end of the evening session.

I suppose your question could be rephrased "why does the WORLD championship need to be in a place with good transport links?" And the answer to that would be pretty self evident.

Given that it's sold out, and is nowhere near full by the end of the evening sessions, how do you explain the empty seats?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,498 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Probably speculative buys who are underwhelmed by the finalists or expected 'their guy' to be in it but he isn't.

More plausible than transport issues IMO. You'd think people know what to expect in terms of times when they book tickets for a WC snooker final. Wasnt even all that late tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

It wasn’t full at the start of the session, so has nothing to do with transport links. It also wasn’t full this afternoon either

I can’t explain the empty seats. But I do see the empty seats, afternoon and evening session. I’ve never seen so many at a final, it’s shocking.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 45,361 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

There were plenty of empty seats at the semi finals too.

I'd say people can't be bothered considering the finalists. Casual snooker fans most likely hoping to see Ronnie or Trump.

It looks terrible for the biggest match of the snooker season.

Well, transport is an issue. I know you won't look it up for yourself, but I did. I tried to get home to the North East of England after an evening session so I know first hand. Last direct train to Newcastle withoutcan hour's wait to change trains is before 9. But you stick with what's most plausible to you.

But that's not the point. Tickets are sold out. If you can sell out an arena in Sheffield which isn't a destination city, imagine how many more you could sell in London.

People who want to stick their head in the sane and ignore the advantages to moving venue are free to do so. Barry hearn has already looked into it anyway.

The transport excuse doesn’t fly for the vast majority of people.

If there's no trains back to a part of the UK late, then drive or stay the night in surrounding area. I'd imagine a lot of people stay over anyway if attending late sessions.

BTW, moving venue should be done if it makes sense. Preferably stay in the UK if possible.

To be fair Sheffield to Newcastle is 130 miles. So blaming the Crucible because you can't see a full session that is planned to end at 10.30-11 pm then get a 2 odd hour train journey home is a bit much.

In Ireland that distance is more than Dublin to Belfast. So it would be like saying the Northen Ireland Open should move from the Waterfront if you can't go to a full evening session and then get a train to Dublin, arriving in after 1am.

Most people stay over in a hotel, or drive in that situation.

If it moved to London you'd be staying over and it'd take ages to get across London as it always does.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

If it was Ronnie vs Trump there would be no empty seats.

When I saw empty front row seats last night it was between frames. They were filled again as soon as play started. People are able to leave between frames and that can also be when a lot of the crowd shots happen.

143 pound minimum price for a session of the final next year. And it is sold out. I'll nof make the final anyway.

Early rounds still 50 or 55 pounds anyway. That'll do.

• Advertisement

They could stay over, of course. But Sheffield isn't a destination city. People don't tend to do that. Hence the third empty arena for late matches.

Doesn't really matter. They're selling out a 900 seat arena in a regional city with mediocre transport. Stands to reason they could sell far more tickets in a destination city with great public transport. Wouldn't you agree?

Advertisement