Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 World Championships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The standard is so bad this year! O'Sullivan could win it blindfolded!! The sport seems to be dieing away rapidly with hardly any newcomers coming along! Also devoid of characters, these new players have hardly any personality!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,343 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Day like in the first session has wasted a host of chances to be right in this match and he's gifted gilt-edged chances to Ronald. Day's safety play in this first frame after the mid session interval has been better, in fairness. Ronald got away with one there with that attempted pot, which was his only option. Day potted the red but missed the yellow and got cover. About time he's had some luck.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

If you want a personality contest, watch the Rose of Tralee.

Bingham or Lisowski will win if this Ronnie shows up.

It's been dying a slow death for years. I've said it numerous times. No wonder Ronald thinks he could win this in his 50's. It's been shocking stuff. The game is full of what I would call journeymen. We already know either Maguire or Gilbert will be in one of the semi-finals.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Quality break from Ronnie

• Advertisement

No excuses for some of these misses by Day. That red was unforgivable.

Good break by Day

Delaying the inevitable though

Good to see Day finish strong

He should nearly be leading this match

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Davis is doing solo commentary on the Wilson - O Connor match.

Bad form for BBC to not have a second commentator for a Sunday night game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Never see anything like that, Jack tried a 2 cushion escape from a snooker twice but on third attempt hit it directly. Bit sticking out he hadn't noticed so wasn't snookered at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Genghis

I would not be taking Ronnies mediocre-but-effective quality vs Day as a given of what he will be like in the quarters or beyond.

Ronnie looks nowhere near is best, but I still expect him to wrap up his QF spot before the mid session this lunchtime. If he was on top form he would be having a day off today.

Ronnie is usually the most dangerous when he starts slow and builds into a tournament. He has kept his head it would seem, and that is the main thing he needs to do. He has not been stretched too much so far, if he gets today over with early enough, the 17 day 'marathon' becomes a 7 days serious play starting tomorrow. Perhaps that has been his game plan to manage the event - stay low energy until the QF.

I feel he will overcome either Bingham or Lisowski in the QF (I think it will be Lisowski), but assuming he meets Trump in the Semis, I think Trump will be ready to take him if he is not at full steam by then.

Story of the match with Day in that opening frame this afternoon. Another frame he could and should have won. A half decent player would put Ronald in his place and would be winning this match.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Early finish this afternoon in the arena

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

You can get away with playing like this against Day, but if Bingham sees off Jack and Ronnie plays like this against him then you'd hope Bingham would be able to punish him, anyone who considers themselves to be a top player should be beating Ronnie in this kind of form.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Youd imagine Ronnie will raise his game accordingly.

I feel sorry for anyone who bought tickets for this afternoon's session. Neither match didn't even reach the mid-session interval.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

There's talk of a breakaway snooker tour.H Haven't heard who the backers will be, could probably speculate though. It wiuld be sad to see the sport nreak up, with the top players divided across tours.

I don't follow golf, how is golf doing now that it's split?

I understand darts is doing well since the split with the top players are all in the breakaway tour and that's the main one now. Open to correction though.

Dennis and Ken were out doing an exhibition when the afternoon session ended early

• Registered Users Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭Augme

Allen Higgins set up very nicely. I wouldn't be at all confident in Allen being able to see it out from here.

10-10. Could be a classic this evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

lads the quezone on BBC. It that a ticket only part of the crucible?

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

I've really come to loath that expression 'cue action'.

The cue zone is in the Winter gardens across Tudor square.

You don't need a ticket, but it could get busy at times when the BBC are broadcasting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Some drama in the last two frames of Bingham Lisowski, Bingham doubles the pink to go 11-9 up, massive shot.

If by killing it you mean overusing it then yeah, but it just seems a bit naff to me. It wasn't always in snooker vocab, they used to just refer to one's technique.

John Higgins is at his best and worst tonight. I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if he retires after losing this

they/them/theirs

I find the bbc commentators repeat themselves ad nauseam. I can’t take it anymore. The same cliches over and over and over.

I prefer Joe Johnson at this stage and he’s brutal.

they/them/theirs

I find the bbc commentators repeat themselves ad nauseam. I can’t take it anymore. The same cliches over and over and over.

Oh I totally agree, and I find it so bad this year. Rob Walker was on commentary and everything he said was a cliche, one after the other after the other 🤣

• Advertisement

they keep talking about Higgins top 16 ranking. If he loses tonight is it gone?

they/them/theirs

Advertisement