Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass stabbing event in Sydney - **Read OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭TokTik

Some bars in Sydney have airport style metal detectors on the way in to stop propel bringing in knives/guns. I know Shark Bar just off Elizabeth Street does.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Pathologising men is no less reductive than pathologising Muslims

There are a small number of very messed up people

My theory is a deeply unpopular one but I believe it's far too difficult to incarcerate people who are so mentally ill as to be a huge threat to others

We have seen examples in Ireland of parents ( men and women) who murdered their own children

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Why not? It worked in this case. An armed woman was able to keep others safe and remove the thread of the male attacker. Maybe we shouldn't arm women with guns but tasers instead. Train girls in schools on how to properly defend themselves and others with tasers and make it their legal right to own a taser. Instead of having women be worried about where they go etc. We warn violent men that if they try to attack anyone, they are likely to be tasered and incapacitated until they are arrested. This obviously won't work in all situations but it would certainly help women defend themselves and others.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Men unable to control themselves? I dont know, would that not be a bit extreme to blame a whole group for the actions of one or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭jackboy

Not really, it will just massively increase the number of weapons out there. It would not reduce attacks significantly, it could actually make attacks worse with violent men having easy access to weapons when ever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭yagan

Somehow even if it's an Aussie gone psycho our resident racists will make it about immigration.

If posters wish to speculate with the intention of trolling then fire ahead - you will be threadbanned

Let the relevant authorities determine intent rather than speculate here

Any questions PM me - do not reply to this post in thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

genuine question, what is it that classifies an atrocity like this as a “terrorist attack”?

It seems to be recent enough for authorities to announce whether the slaying of innocent civilians is either “terrorist related” or “non terrorist related” in order to absolve certain groups of any responsibility. It’s an almost childlike classification system, á la Joe Bidens infamous “that was the other team” announcement after the hospital bombing in Gaza. To my mind, any random, unprovoked and indiscriminate killing of innocent civilians is a terrorist attack, since when has there been a label or classification system in place and what is it exactly that qualifies an attack as “terrorist”?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭yagan

If the attack was specifically gender motivated then wouldn't it be gender terrorism?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Speaking purely as a lay person to me a terrorist attack as reported by the media in the past , tended to involve some sort of planned organisation amongst a number of people who would have been affiliated with a group known to be labelled as a terrorist group, fighting one cause or another.

The use of the term is also an indication of security levels and security woild likely be tightened under such conditions - so saying it’s not a terrorist attack gives some comfort to those living in that city this evening. So such a pronouncement does have an impact

In modern day, (AND IM NOT REFERRING TO THIS CURRENT SITUATION) - we’re probably seeing more attacks by individuals who claim they did what they did for a particular cause. Whether they did or not, is probably one for the police and psychiatrists to work out. I imagine if they have no proven links to an actual terrorist group aside from maybe engaging in online discussion or accessing radical websites and whatnotetc, then they’re probably labelled sick in the head, and the act isn’t labelled as terrorism.

Saying all of that it’s a massive cold comfort to the victims and their families regardless of how the killer or killers decided one day that killing people was a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Loosely it would be any action that is designed to change a political position, a social position etc by terrorizing a population. Even that the activity of discombobulation is justified enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Musicrules

We're not giving men the weapons. You suggested that we should encourage men to intervene in violent situations, why not encourage women?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

He was known to the cops so they would have an idea about his background ASIO were also involved they would be fairly sure if he was involved with any groups on the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't pretend to know specifics, but I always assumed they make the distinction because terrorist attack brings the implication that more could happen. There could be another bomb, or another plane, or another psycho because it was an organised and planned attack. So people remain fearful when its a "terror" attack.

Saying it is not a terror attack brings the implication that it was a lone nut and so it now over.

That's a condition on the license and it's a farce. Everyone sets it off and you can't search or even pat them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭HBC08

Very controlled immigration.

I've spent a lot of time there,try turning up and saying you lost your passport and see how far you get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭thegame983

Australia has very tight immigration (I believe).

Regardless of where he's from I doubt he hopped on a boat in Tunisia.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭volchitsa

So are we also blaming all plane travellers when we make them all go through security controls and even dump their bottles of water? Or are we trying - as far as possible - to keep everyone safe?

Why are measures to keep women safe always beyond the pale for so many?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

99% of frontline soldiers are men too. And firefighters. Its the human condition. 99.99% of men are alright too and don't be thinking about killing people 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭jackboy

Because it won't work and would likely make things more dangerous. Think it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Well sure knife laws would be great but anytime different places had a stop and search which began to become effective but it was found to be males of mostly two particular demographics always carrying it was suddenly racist and needed to stop due to "profiling", London for example is a mess again due to stop and search and all we hear is cries that the authorities aren't doing enough.

You can have a sentence for carrying a knife all you want but in that case you'll need to wait until one is pulled and probably someone attacked to do anything about it and it becomes moot.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Didnt work out too well for the poor natives though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭HBC08

100%,

This is a bit off topic but you dont get into Australia unless they want you there.

I have spent a ot of time there and will likely retire there,they get a lot wrong but they don't fook about with immigration and everybody accepts it.

Ps,I wouldn't be able to retire there except I will likely have permanent residency by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Agreed. Certainly terrorism if you're on the shortlist of their ideation. Or indeed merely witness to it. As even we are.

But the police are clearly trying to calm the public that its not something with more legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Before anyone says it, I'm not saying all men are potential mass murderers,

Part of the problem, IMO, is that you have to say that at all. Nobody thinks that drink driving tests or speed radars are "blaming all drivers". They presume that if they aren't breaking the law, then they aren't being blamed, and that the measures are necessary to sort out the law breakers from the others.

So why do so many men always seem to feel they are somehow targeted by any discussion of male violence against women? Why doesn't the same logic apply? Or do they feel some sort of empathy with violent men in general?

Advertisement