Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass stabbing event in Sydney - **Read OP before posting**

Options
  • 13-04-2024 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

https://amp.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2024/apr/13/australia-news-live-major-police-incident-in-sydney-after-reports-of-multiple-stabbings

Seems someone went crazy and started stabbing random people in Bondi Junction. I think the world needs a lot tougher knife laws. We constantly see stabbing deaths in U.K. too.

Anyone caught with a knife should do at least a year, 12 months in prison. No reason given Stop and search should also be an option to Gardai/police forces to get a handle on this. A knife is a deadly weapon.

Mod warnings

If posters wish to speculate with the intention of trolling then fire ahead - you will be threadbanned

Let the relevant authorities determine intent rather than speculate here

Back on topic, which is the tragic stabbing and murder of a number of people in Sydney. Leave it to the authorities to determine any underlying issues that may have contributed to the actions of the murderer

Threadbans:

StevenToast

satguy

Sean Quagmire

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The videos are frightening. I've been to Westfield loads of times as have friends there.

A young baby is involved and in a bad way.

I see a lone woman police officer shot him as he went for her with the knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Fair play to the individual with a table(?) who intervened at the escalator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭TokTik

Same, heard a report from the guys who helped out with the 9 month old. They said the baby seemed to be ok, but the mother was touch and go. Did a bit of work in the Westfield years ago when I was living down the road from it.

Something this random could happen in any shopping centre anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Deregos.

An image of the perpetrator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I agree but how do we police it? Cops able to randomly stop and search people who are walking down the street? That won't and shouldn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Thanks, that would make sense.

Fairly scary looking knife that he was armed with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭TokTik

I’d rather be stopped and patted down than stabbed. No reason why it shouldn’t happen. And defined terms with no leeway for anyone caught with a blade, unless a chef etc on way to or from work.

https://x.com/Nimra__1/status/1779086896343155127

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Can you not see that random searches would not stop an incident like this, so why are you bleating on about it?

A man grabs a knife and heads to his local shops for a murder spree, do you think he is worried about getting done for possessing a knife?

What exactly are the odds that he even gets stopped for a random search in the 2 minutes between picking up the knife in his kitchen and getting to the shops?

Whatever about knife laws stopping gang incidents involving knives, they would have no effect on spree killers whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ToweringPerformance

This man will never have to buy his own round again. Respect.

Another 2 brave men.

Sadly the mother of the baby has died.

https://x.com/ForsigeNews/status/1779087506144706622

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Not sure it needs the term "brand ambassador of masculinity", lots of brave people there at the scene including the police officer (gun or no gun)

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

That female police officer has balls of granite, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭satguy

The same, thing over and over.

Yet every day the West lets boat loads of young fighting age Muslim men into our cities and towns.

They live beside some very rich Muslim countries,, Yet they wont go there,, they jump on small boats and risk all to get to the West.

Why ???

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Has it been confirmed that the attacker was Muslim then?

But on your wider question. It's part of the religion. Just as how Catholicism spread throughout the world (for better or worse - generally worse), this is history repeating itself.

Plus we in the West have made it very easy with noisy left-wing liberal types wailing about our obligations, and supposed privilege and guilt. While the West tears itself apart in culture wars, identity politics and virtue, the rest of the world moves on, and there will always be those who will take advantage of and exploit such foolishness.

The problems arise when the cultures and expectations clash, but we're bringing it on ourselves and it's only going to get worse I believe. We're actually regressing as a society in many respects which would seem contradictory to a lot of progress on issues but is true nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

The attacker may or may not be Muslim but either way it doesn't achieve anything by taking shots at Muslims in general, you can oppose the incoherent and unworkable immigration policy we currently have without smearing a group of people

I don't believe in not reporting the ethnicity of the attacker but some of the commentary can be both crass and mindless

I don't believe that some cultures are a particularly good fit for western countries but I wouldn't see them as inherently more prone to violence

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭suvigirl

We do have legislation regarding knives and offensive weapons, gardai can stop and search anyone, but obviously they must suspect they have a weapon, under section 16.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1990/act/12/enacted/en/print.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

police don’t believe this is a terrorist attack but don’t know the motive

Sky News just now

• Registered Users Posts: 16,367 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

An attack on people in a Jewish neighbourhood by a member of a religion where hatred of Jews is hardwired into the belief system? Obviously we're racists for even thinking it.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I've no idea whether this stabbing was related to Islam, but on a point of information, the question of whether Islam is more inherently violent than Christianity is probably to be found in the lives and teachings of both their founders. Mohammed was a warlord. Jesus was not.

I know Christianity is far from blameless in how it spread in practice, but it is not inherently warlike. Islam is.

Even in in terms of rules for one's personal life, Islam is far more violent: the closest equivalent Hadith to the New Testament story about the woman caught in the act of adultery tells how Muhammed, in his infinite kindness and wisdom, first allowed her to give birth and then breast feed her baby (born as a result of the adultery) and only after the baby was weaned did he order her to be stoned to death. There's no "Let he who is without sin…" in Islam, never mind "Go and sin no more".

And Muhammed is "the perfect man" in Islam - a model for all. So the difference is that there is very little peaceful "counterbalance" available for more peaceful Muslims to call on in opposition to the more violent ones.

(And to be clear, I'm NOT saying that all Muslims are violent. I know most aren't. I'm making a different point.)

Sydney police confirming this isn't terror related.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Have they given a reason for why it's not terror related?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭enricoh

Miracle we haven't had one of these in a main thoroughfare yet. I know Dundalk had one 5 years ago but not a busy area.

Have we undercover on say Grafton st + o connell st by any chance, anyone know? Saw a video of a fight outside Dr quirkys n 15 minutes later no cops, didn't inspire me!

Just wondering how they can rule out a terrorist attack so quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Has it been reported that the killer lived local?

Stop and search worked in the uk , when they stopped doing it knife crime rose

They should have stop and search, i have nothing to hide it takes two minutes and if I know myself and my loved ones are safer I'm all for it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Augme

Most people would consider Parnell Street a main thoroughfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Neondakid

How about all having an option for self defence instead of making everyone a sitting duck and hoping nobody goes nuts. There is a reason these attacks don’t end up with so many casualties where “good” or just sane people have something on them to eliminate the threat.

Also consider a crazy person can grab a kitchen knife and slash away even if you pose a death penalty on the possession they won’t care. There is no law or police who can protect someone from violence only the person facing the attacker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,367 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Glazers Out!

Advertisement