Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass stabbing event in Sydney - **Read OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Musicrules

There's no probably about it. It's a fact that it's nearly always men.

Anyway, instead of anything to do with immigration, it looks like the murderer was a man who never left Australia. With the targets mostly women, this is most likely another mass murder committed by an incel. It's such a dangerous movement which now not only includes the voluntary celibate but men with a deep hatred of women.

But again, it could be an incel, it could be a right wing looney, it could be an immigrant, it could be a communist, they could be anything but there's only one common denominator. The conversation has to get serious. I don't care if it's educating boys in schools, arming women or whatever, something has to be done about violent men attacking innocent men, women and children.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Seems attacker was white guy with mental issues and an unhealthy obsession with knives and guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

I don't know what everyone is arguing about here. Men are inherently more dangerous than women. That comes with the territory. We are bigger, stronger and more aggressive in general. It's usually a good thing but obviously can go wrong. This idea of having to protect women from men is idiotic though. Out of control violen men attack men more than they attack women. It's also usually good men who will fight back and try to protect others from these scumbags.

I just said something has to be done about the out of control, violent men you refer to, attacking innocent men, women and children. Again, bigger, stronger, more aggressive doesn't equate with stabbing a baby. It doesn't equate to murdering or raping innocent men and women. Men aren't born with this in them. It isn't natural. You're kind of saying that every man is a potential murderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Like what?

What must be done ?

We need some flesh on the bare bones of your points

• Advertisement

Claiming that it's nearly always men involved in this kind of violence offers about as much intellectual heft as decrying how it's almost always wet weather which postpones sporting events in Ireland

If you're not willing to even admit that male violence is a problem then I'm not sure what value you can bring to finding a solution.

I'm not claiming to know any answers here, as I said in the post you quoted:

'The conversation has to get serious. I don't care if it's educating boys in schools, arming women or whatever, something has to be done about violent men attacking innocent men, women and children.'

But maybe even before that, we need to get non violent men on side. I'm not sure why but as has been pointed out, for some reason, some non violent men get very defensive when people discuss trying to tackle the issue of male violence. We're talking about scumbags who attack other men as well as women and children. Why can't we fight against them together? Find a way to at least decrease the chances of it happening so regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Your argument is that men are by nature violent so women just have to suck it up - is that about the height of it?

Or that men are by nature violent, but it's bad form of women to want protection from them?

When you are finished bolstering your woke credentials, you might take notice of the fact that the killer was seriously mentally ill

Most liberals vehemently oppose institutionalising the mentally ill,you don't strike me as an independent thinker so I could reasonably argue you aren't serious about any solutions?

Back to polishing your woke CV

• Advertisement

No , I'm just not indulging the dopey " it's always men " woke meme

There are only toxic individuals, it's a social studies pipe dream to think the world's male population can be reprogrammed, besides, the kind of people who demand it , only demand it of white western men

They defend the huge level of violence in black communities in much of America or even with travellers in Ireland

It's bad faith debating and deserves ridicule and contempt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Most luberals? Surely most people oppose locking up mentally ill persons unless as a very final last resort?

Yet it is always men. Not all men, but always men.

I have to laugh at how in the very same post you think it's grand to make sweeping assumptions about "black communities in much of America" when their overall rates of violence are probably lower than the rates you'll find if you just take women out of the averages in any community. "Always black" is fine by you, apparently.

Clearly the discussion of male violence (and defining woke) makes you very uncomfortable, maybe leave it to those who actually want to do something about it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

A lot of back and forth here relating to male violence and specifically directed towards women. Mental health seems to be the cause in this case, so may be more relevant than anything else.

However woke or not woke, the fact is that there has been a massive gender gap reduction over the last 10 to 20 years when it comes to rights and pay as examples, but also other areas such bodily autonomy. There is also a reaction to this and general left leaning liberalism that right conservatives do not like. Look at how abortion laws have rolled back in the US, it's all about control over women and trying to take back what some see as the natural order.

Take it more locally and young teenage boys are being exposed to a lot of anti women social media and ideas, that guy Tate is just one well known individual, but tik tok is full of it. The result is that teenage girls are being harassed and abused up and down the country in various manners, without provocation. If you don't have a teenager you may not even be aware, but it is very disturbing how this has developed over a short number of recent years. Our education system is behind the curve on this, but that's nothing new for this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭deeperlearning

Another incel male who targetted women.

Where did I make sweeping assumptions?

I merely pointed to how woke men ( and women's studies types ) who bleat on about " it's always men " ( which is the ultimate sweeping assumption) are careful to rationalise above average levels of violence in places like south Chicago or even with our own travellers here

You will never ever hear those same progressives make demands that travellers do better

It's safe respectable virtue signalling, nothing more and certainly offers nothing constructive

This mass murder event has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with mental health policy, it's regrettable how some are exploiting a mass murder to score ideological points , it's deeply crass

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

it’s a word arseholes use to describe anything they don’t agree with these days.

• Advertisement

Yes, some seem to be clueless about this or maybe they don't care but it is a major issue. There is a whole incel/anti women movement going on and it's mostly online as you say. The extreme end leads to things like the murder of Ana Kriégel but there's daily harassment of teenage girls. Now, most of the teenage boys responsible for this are just going with the crowd and are aping what they see online but some will grow up to be a Jozef Puska, Graham Dwyer or Mark Hennessy. You are right, our education system needs to act now but we're way behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

So looks like the guy wasn't a muslim terrorist at all. I won't hold my breath waiting for the apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Or apologies from the crowd bleating on about incels when absolutely nothing about this case indicates that that particular idiocy was ever a factor.

These people are so pathetic, inventing boogymen and crying that everybody else should be living in fear as well.

As is usually the case, because the local police knew more about the incident than the (very knowledgeable) posters of the Current Affairs forum on boards.ie. Wild concept I know.
    Not really aimed at you, I know you were only asking the question, but it’s interesting reading back over the thread now the family has come forward. Police said very early on they knew him, probably been called out by his family to intervene over the years.

Hi @Sean Quagmire, come back and tell us what “the obvious” was??

Well, from an article I read, it looks like he attacked 13 women, killing 5, the man killed was a security guard and the other 2 men attacked were trying to stop him. So that kind of indicates that he was targeting women for whatever reason.

Not only that but there are videos of the scene that show him running past men to attack women.

If he’d killed 5 black people or 5 Muslims, and the injured were nearly all from the same group, there’d be no hesitation to say it was a hate crime by someone with a grudge against that group. Regardless of mental health issues (most people with mental health problems don’t attack anyone, never mind targeted attacks against one particular group).

Why should it be any different when the target is women?

It’s a hate crime, with women as the target of his hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You know damn well what you meant by all your "incel" bleating, and you know what "incel" means since you appear to live in such fear of it.

Your incel nonsense is every bit as bad as those pushing the racism angle.

They aren't afraid, it's an act - performance, a way of currying favour with the prevailing intellectual orthodoxy

• Advertisement

I can't bring myself to look at any of the videos but your account of them matches the reports.

Some are saying that he lost control because of his mental health issues but it really seems like he wasn't completely out of control, he wasn't attacking everybody. He was attacking women, he was targeting any woman he could find.

Another example to add to yours. Earlier in this thread some were trying to link it to a Muslim attack against Jews. If this man had attacked on that basis, his anti Semitism would be the topic, not anything else.

Let's stop having to walk on eggshells around these kind of attacks. You're right, this attack was an anti-women hate crime.

Advertisement