Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in road deaths - RTE tonight at 9:35pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,194 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's better to a late Mr Jones than The late Mr Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,053 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Paula is ex RUC , i mean PSNI.

One of Drews croonies

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

"And did Drew give Paula a job?"

That's sectarianism and sexism all rolled into one

Post edited by Anaki r2d2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Everyday I see it with the phones. Car in front at the lights you can see the head down. Lights go green no moving BEEP. And you can see the alarm in their face as they look in their rearview. Idiots. 2 cars go through when it should have been 4 or 5. Same if I'm first at the lights. Look in the rearview mirror. The head is down. Lights go green I'm well through the lights and gone and some clown is still sitting there holding up the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Because speeding fines are a revenue generating exercise not a road safety exercise. Think about it most of the road deaths are in rural areas but yet most of Garda checkpoints are in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

.... agree with post above ...and then to just make it worse some plough the on clear red in frustration and block junctions etc ..

So much poor driving, so little enforcement

(Homage to a certain W Wonka and Batman)

I wonder if some blame is on car manufacturers building cars that are kitted out like a home office.

I was looking into CarPlay the other day and I noticed this. Between this kinda craic and Tesla’s etc with what’s basically a tablet in the centre console how are drivers going to pay attention to the road with all these visual distractions?

when you have distractions right in your face coupled with technology like adaptive cruise control I can easily imagine drivers becoming less attentive while relying on the tech to keep them safe.

My last car (Qashqai) had a reversing sensor that I became far too reliant on. One occasion I was reversing but there was a bollard behind me that was out of the sensors FOV I guess and I ended up reversing into because the beeps weren’t warning me I was too close. Completely stupid on my part but it was just relying on the tech too much and not being careful enough.

Current car has no such features and nor did my first car and never had that issue. Maybe it’s just me but I doubt I’m the only one who had a bad time relying on sensors and other tech.

I think reliance on these types of things that are meant to make driving safer may often have the opposite effect when drivers become too distracted or dependent. Coupled with big flashy screens as I say you don’t really need a mobile phone to distract.

pair any of that with excessive speed or carelessness and you have an absolute disaster waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

People are moving out of the real world. They can't distinguish between Tik Tok and the real world. People's patience and concentration has gone to hell.

Also, people **** drive everywhere. There are a lot more journeys and a lot more people in cars.

I swear to god, I've neighbours who I've never actually seen walking from their houses. And these are neighbours with dogs. And there are footpaths and long beautiful walks outside their front doors. They actually drive somewhere to take the dog for a walk.

🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Please don't start with this. Its not a thing.

so drew harris has directed all uniformed Gardai must conduct at least 30 mins of roads policing per working day now? I wonder how much we will actually see.

• Advertisement

To save me looking up their employment history🙃 what kind of job did she give him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

My experience is people have no consideration. Illegal parking, double parking, pulling out in front of other cars, constantly changing lanes to "get ahead", it's just crazy. They had to put cones down at Dunkettle because cars were driving onto the hatched lines to merge later and gain a few car lengths in traffic.

I was recently stuck at a junction because 5 cars were parked illegally on the road, reducing it to a single lane. People turning off the road couldn't turn because their only path was blocked by people turning onto the road. It's a complete mess.

That's 5 people who said "ah f8ck it" and dropped their cars to save them an extra 20 seconds walk into Aldi.

There's uproar where I live now because a lady recently moved in who uses a wheelchair. She can't go to mass because other people going to mass just drop their cars on the footpath instead of using the car park across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

That will be a joke as lots say they are not family with the RTA.

You just have to observe the number of vehicles with blown head lamp bulbs, motor bikes with tax disc obscuring reg place or both with non-complaint reg plates to show little policing there is on the roads. In the UK, you would be pulled over in no time for all those.

But hey, AGS now have the mobility app which they say is a policing game changer....they just do t have enough people out there to change the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,256 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Will watch this tomorrow but there is zero road enforcement, there is a big crossroads where I live right next to a Garda station and people are breaking the lights constantly, going through pedestrian crossings that have the green light. If you get away with the small things you are more inclined to try and get away with the bigger things.

Heard on the radio yesterday (RSA woman) I think its like 100k for a camera on a pole - WTF! Even so at that price it could easily make the money back snapping everyone going thru a red light.

Road policing in Ireland is very much the lightly approach

2024 cars with fancy dashboards have nothing to do with road carnage.

No law and order is the basic problem on the roads and society in general. This country needs a serious reboot. Criminality needs to be dealt with. Not enough PoPo and useless judges who let every scrote off with PS5 and a hug.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The PS5 is to keep them at home and off the streets.

yeah I’m sure it’s not the cars with iPads in the centre console that’s the problem it’s definitely all the dangerous criminals getting away with murder that’s causing all these road deaths, how stupid of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Unless they recruit and deploy more, they won't change shít.

People using the roads out there are pretty dense, especially but not exclusively the young male "kidult" drivers. Overconfident and no concept of risk or consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

About twenty years ago the cost of a road fatality was about one million. That presumably has increased by several times over the years.

Speeding fines don't pay for themselves unless you're simply comparing direct costs against direct revenue, which surely you aren't as that would be stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Cameras at every major junction, and Gardai on bikes with body cams cycling through traffic catching drivers using phones, would quickly and easily clamp down on phone use by drivers.

One Garda on a bicycle navigating through traffic in Dublin City centre would catch hundreds of drivers using their phones in a day. A body cam would catch the registration plate and the driver in the act, pass this over to a civilian in the garda office to issue the fines and points, phone use will drop in a matter of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭amber2

Existing drivers attitudes have changed dramatically, some taking huge risks that are absolutely wreckless. Hit and runs seems to have taken a huge increase also. We should be instilling drivers education in schools, our weather, road conditions etc all this should in some way be addressed in schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭redunited

Speed is not the problem, there are so many other reasons to name a few,

Poorly Maintained Roads.

People driving who have learner licences only.

People who have failed a test but still driving.

Foreign Drivers who may not have the same standards.

Young Drivers Showing Off.

Old Drivers who are clueless.

Idiots behind wheels that simply don't know how to drive.

indeed. Speeding is a crime, breaking red lights a crime, drug driving a crime. Criminal behaviour is in general out of hand. Not just on the roads but elsewhere too.

need more Garda, imported or otherwise

Why is speed not the problem? It certainly is on the roads I travel on.

Its a mutitude of problems, speed is definitely one contibuting factor

Advertisement