Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croatians attacked in Dublin, one man dead - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Just read about the shocking, barbaric and unprovoked attack on the two Croatian men who were the victims of evil and dangerous bully-boys. They are destructive and poisonous individuals and gangs, who cause nothing but hurt and damage to anyone they set their sights on. Hopefully the gardai find the disgusting thugs who are responsible quickly, and they are put away for a very long time.

Thankfully the injured man will recover from the physical assault but the mental trauma may have a devastating effect on his life. It must have been a horrific experience.

RIP Josip Strok. Condolences to his family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

You've got off on a tangent while the topic is about Irish people murdering a person because they aren't Irish. Irish xenophobes and a rising far right are the problem in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Poon Tang

So… is that a yes or a no to the Swedish approach to a similar problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

You'd have to be an especially evil person to wish harm on, or do harm to a person just for not speaking English. Would these scrotes have a go at someone speaking as Gaelilge ?? It wouldn't surprise me to be honest.

I was on my usual LUAS journey this morning and heard many languages spoken - 3-4 minimum easily. It's lovely to hear - particularly if it's a language you know a few words in, a French chap was talking about a horse earlier. No idea what he was talking about it but he seemed happy enough!

I hope the man's friend recovers both mentally and physically and if these monsters are caught let's hope it's not Nolan they are up before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

There is a world of difference between a legal migrant paying their own way, following the legal process and some lads dumping their documents while travelling through multiple safe countries to play the welfare system. We’ve seen the end result of this on the continent and it’s not good. It will increase racism, look at the problems in the UK with Armenians, drug trafficking and general criminality. They abused the asylum process to get in and the Armenians won’t take them back. The whole thing just increases resentment and racism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Then let the system deal with those people and if the system isn't doing what you as a citizen want use democracy to change that .

There is no excuse for murder violence or thuggery and promoting it as an answer or ignoring its use is why scvmbags like this think they have some sort of mandate to behave this way . And KILL someone .

As a mature person do you think it's constructive to use violence and abuse to deal with your frustrations,?

I am sure you don't .

And that is why everyone needs to affirm that to those who would try to drag us down that route and be very clear about it .

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, let's drop the Sweden talk. This happened in Dublin. And this is not another thread about immigration either, so anyone tempted to try and continue that avenue of discussion can expect a minimum of a threadban

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

people coming here with no documents has nothing to do with two white croatians being attacked and one dying from it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭lmao10

I know a few eastern europeans and they are afraid to speak in their native language or even speak English in public if they have a noticeable accent because some of them have got abuse for it. This is what those far right lads want - immigrants living in fear. It all comes down to the far right rhetoric and we knew it was a matter of time before someone got killed. Sadly, it will probably take a few more murders like this or a major attack where people die for the guards to start being proactive against these scumbags who are spouting this stuff online.

and people on boards are trying to say it's as nuanced as these scumbags are riled up and doing it because there are people arriving here with no documents. these scumbags always hated foreigners before all this military aged males guff started appearing everywhere.

• Advertisement

It's only the obvious far right apologists doing this. As transparent as it gets. Some of their fake outrage is pretty comical in how stupid they think people are to buy what they are saying. Dangerous all the same because the far right rhetoric is now seemingly responsible for a murder on the street and no doubt there will be more.

look at the comments under this if you have the stomach for it. i've seen these guys getting horrible racist abuse on trams.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭suvigirl

guards to start being proactive against these scumbags who are spouting this stuff online.

The issue being that the Gardai do not currently have the law in order to deal with a lot of the stuff being spouted online.

Ireland didn’t have a far right ‘problem’ until the government started prioritising housing IP’s and bypassing planning permission. It’s cause and effect. Is there one mainstream party dealing with this issue? Housing and migration are now the top issues people are concerned about and both are directly linked. You can’t keep pouring people into a country with a lack of housing. Things are going to get worse and it’s all so predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Poon Tang

Yep, but some people will always bury their heads in the sand and deny there is a problem.

Even sad cases like this are unlikely to wake some of them up.

Everywhere you get mass immigration and unsustainable numbers, you get the same predictable societal problems. It should be obvious at this stage, but only if your ideology doesn't effectively blind you from seeing the wood from the trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Reminds me of my mams neighbour, she reckons there were no racists in Ireland until all the foreigners showed up 🙄

What you want, the policies you support and the end result will be three separate things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@Thelonious Monk @Potatoeman @Poon Tang discuss immigration in general terms in the Immigration or Refugee thread. Seriously - there has just been a mod warning about this. Final reminder before threadbans start getting handed out, no excuse now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'm not sure they have the resources either.

After the riot when there was a lot of back and forth about tech companies not removing posts it emerged there was only one garda monitoring various far-right channels that day. I'd imagine that person must have been totally swamped trying to get stuff taken down, passing on info etc, all while trying to keep track of thousands of messages on multiple platforms.

It seems they were also unaware of videos circulating of racist attacks in Limerick too. The response to this Journal article doesn't suggest resources will be available to tackle the issue either.

When asked for comment on the attacks recorded in the social media videos, a Garda spokesman said “I cannot, at this time, locate any reported incident matching these details”.

When asked if Gardaí have any safety advice for the concerned migrant community in Limerick who have been rocked by the attacks, the Garda spokesperson said “advice on personal security can be found on the Garda website”.

https://www.thejournal.ie/brazilian-student-assaulted-limerick-6357653-Apr2024/

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ionraice

I hope whoever is responsible is found and locked up for a very long time. Attacking, never mind murdering, someone for not speaking English is vile.

Having said that, the attack was, unfortunately, entirely predictable.

Scumbags don't need much of an excuse to behave like the thugs they are. A combination of a severe housing shortage, and a rapid increase in immigration levels, was always going to lead to tension.

Add the extreme far right stoking tensions ( note: I said the extreme far right, not the moderates with genuine concerns about immigration levels), and a Government and NGOs who refuse to even discuss the issue, and you have the perfect conditions for the proverbial pot to boil over.

The attack was inexcusable, lest anyone should accuse me of justifying it. However, there needs to be some soul searching done by both pro and anti immigration groups. There's real anger in the Country about immigration levels.

It's long past time for a mature, reasonable discussion on the issue.

Otherwise, I'm very much afraid this might not be the last such incident.

And part of that discussion also has to be about law and order, not just hate speech, but actual law and order, with perpetrators of violent crime being locked up for the foreseeable future, irrespective of their nationality..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Lads the nationality/race of the perpetrator(s) doesn't matter, don't be stirring up hate.

That's pretty shocking. They really need to get on top of this. Surely one murder which is down to the far right rhetoric is more than enough to get them moving. We only really saw the politicians bothered when the protests were getting rowdy at Leinster House. Sadly it looks like it will probably take a politician being attacked or another few murders before they actually do what needs to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Why is this case not getting any attention in the media? The usual NGO types who are quick to accuse racism are silent.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 14,530 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

It is in the media and under investigation.

"Investigators have now identified the four men who they believe were involved in the fatal assault, including the alleged “ringleader”.

This man is known to gardaí, having been investigated for drug-related offences in the past. He is also known for posting anti-immigration and far-right rhetoric online."

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/croatian-man-killed-brutal-dublin-28975140

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

That is why I posted the one allowed relevant paragraph from the first article.

The second article is not behind a paywall.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Deleted

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Absolutely horrible what happened to these two men. What is wrong with scroots that do this?

These people are human but the schools are scum .

It disgusts me that someone can do this to another human.

I hope these little bas-tards that done this are caught and put in prison for the rest of their life's.

Prime time has a piece on this tonight. Very sad.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dalyboy

it’s 2024 right ! ?
    How in the name of all that’s holy has this filth-bag not been identified & arrested ? We have CCTV on nearly every street (be it shops , ATMs , street cams etc)

I am at a loss how the Gardai have been unable to locate footage in order to bring justice to this poor man’s family

• Advertisement

Did you miss my post earlier?

""Investigators have now identified the four men who they believe were involved in the fatal assault, including the alleged “ringleader”.

This man is known to gardaí, having been investigated for drug-related offences in the past. He is also known for posting anti-immigration and far-right rhetoric online."

You can sleep safe tonight. It's under investigation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement