Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croatians attacked in Dublin, one man dead - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

”A source said: “It is being investigated as a potential hate crime”

I would have thought the murder would have been the bigger crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BagofWeed

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/helen-mcentee-backs-hands-off-policing-of-the-far-right-kf2lzbcg8 Never forget this. Blood is on their hands and also Varadkar. I'm worried for my son now due to this poison that has been allowed flourish by our politicians and excuse of a police force.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I find it really interesting the amount of deflection being done by the far-right about this incident.

There was a Newstalk Youtube video discussing it and the comments underneath were swamped with people calling the Croatians drug dealers.

I guess they realise that murdering a foreigner for the crime of being a foreigner isn't a good look for their movement and shows them up for the hate filled scum that they are. They are desperate to have something…. anything that they can hang their hat on and pretend that this was something more than just a vile xenophobic murder carried out by the very worst people in our society.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

What seems worse is the silence about this murder from mainstream society. They don't seem to care. Where's the anger?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

man being beaten up and killed by scumbags in a place like clondalkin doesn't do it for the media for some reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭lmao10

There has been a desperate attempt by them to tarnish the lads as drug dealers or criminals. Their tactics are getting old now though. One of the best things to happen lately is the complete lack of credibility that the far right have now that they've been caught out lying so much. You can only get away with so much misinformation before people realise you're just a racist liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I knew before I opened the thread that it would include welfare hate. As a man with a dodgy looking CV with long gaps I have a clean criminal record. Maybe I buck the trend, or maybe you people just like to discriminate against us by accusing us of being violent.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Poon Tang

It's a class war, and many people are happy to stoke it as much as possible. It's not too different from race baiting or the increasing left/right political divide that is all being deliberately engineered by nefarious people to cause disharmony in society.

People are trying to make an issue out of their nationality, but I don't see what relevance their nationality has to being beaten up on the street by some thugs? Are we saying these Croatian men could not have gotten a similar beating on the streets of Zagreb or really any other city at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I had initially put it down to scum being scum, but that steps it up to another level. Online shite hawking is now inspiring premeditated xenophobic attacks, even murder.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement

You clearly haven't read the details of the story then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭riddles

The justice system doesn’t act as a deterrent for anti-social behaviour, petty theft, moderate and serious crime. Whether this is hate crime, attacks on elderly, racist attacks or homophobia. In short the system enables people to feel they can do what they want, when they want to with little to no sanction.

We have known this for many many years and there is no tangible plan for this to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There is a plan for hate crime law to be introduced which means extra sentencing if the crime also has a bias motive

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

We are saying the evidence to date indicates this is a racist hate crime

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭JVince

If local reports are correct, they were beaten and murdered by a well known far right piece of scum who did it for the sole reason that they spoke a different language.

The very gullible people who think immigrants are causing crime need to actually look in their own backyard and see that it is nearly always LOCAL scum up for rape, child abuse, theft, drugs, murder, harm etc etc. Many want to create fear at protests so that their criminal activities are ignored. One of the leaders in the ballymun and east wall protests was a UK national with child abuse convictions and he is currently in mountjoy service a 3 year sentence for several counts of child molestation

you're responding to a brand new account trying to say the fact they're foreign had nothing to do with it. i think there's a lot of people out there very annoyed at the fact they were attacked for being foreign because it makes the anti-immigrant campaign look bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,006 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

the people creating division and hate might be the ones beating foreigners to death, just a hunch i have

don't think it's entirely down to that, there wasn't much interest in that malaysian woman when she was murdered either

The prime suspect is one of the "leaders" in the clondalkin racist campaigns against immigrants and was also involved in the protests in naas recently.

So this is very much a race/hatred/xenophobic murder in that the ONLY reason the person was targeted was because he did not speak English. The "anti-immigrant" protests are full of these hatred spouting uneducated scum and it will see a generation of hatred spewing little scumbags coming into society as these protests are "body filled" with children who see this as normal and will grow up with the same rhetoric as they are seeing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

This man was targeted specifically because he wasn't speaking English.... So ya, xenophobic right wing extremists are responsible for his death. Says a lot that you seem to have registered to solely downplay a murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

They're also "both-sidesing" over in the Russia thread so they're being really efficient with their fresh account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

There is a world of difference between people that don’t want men playing the asylum system being dumped into their areas to eat up all the local resources and someone that goes out to kill someone for being a foreigner.

I could just imagine the posters screaming racisms attitude if bus loads of inner city young male unemployed dubs were dumped into cramped accommodation beside them. Let’s ghettoise your area and tank your property price or you’re a racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BagofWeed

Neo Liberalist economics survive best when the population is at each others throats. Another reason to dumb down the education system and society in general. Look at American and British schooling, both previously amongst the most educated peoples but now reduced to idiocy. We're only a decade or two behind.

i can assure you that having a DP centre down the road from where i live hasn't affected house prices at all.

the poster you were responding to was pointing out that absolute scumbags were out protesting against the DP centre beside me. frustrated scumbags that see these DP centre people as below them so they get out and protest as they've finally found people they can punch down on, but have never done anything for this area worthwhile or ever done anything about the actual issues around here.

apparently one of these scumbags is a suspect in the murder of the croatian, so yeah, they very well may be linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This.

The Coolock protest was being led by a well known criminal and drug lord but this was ignored by all those posting about it from the anti immigration side.

Many of the ordinary local people in the areas where those protests were, no matter if they agreed that the centres should not be used for asylum seekers , were repulsed by the carryon of a lot of those travelling to protest and did not take part further after the initial protest , if at all.

It was said by those locals in Roscrea Drogheda and Coolock quite clearly that they did not want 'that sort' protesting with them

However very difficult to keep it civil if there are state forces eg AGS , TDs on side keeping control .

There are a hard core of very extreme and violent people drumming up the actions of youths particularly via Telegram etc to engage violently and abusively and up the ante just for the hell of it .

Many of the hard core are the same people who post youtube , face book and X videos constantly, filled with hate about any migrant or our democratically elected TDs who don't toe the line and agree with their bile .

The same " citizen journalists " who have bullied pharmacists and their staff during Covid anti vaccination so called protests , bullied women going in to abortion clinics or hospitals , library workers over trans or LGBTQ books ..

These people are not engaged in peaceful positive action protests .

They are a malign influence

I don't know if going easy on these types is a good thing .

Maybe it's time the instigators and organisers were targeted by AGS after all .

But too many people are actually believing the crap spread by these criminal scum.

The vast vast majority of immigrants whether with or without passports are simply looking for a better life. They are fingerprinted and photographed and dna taken. Most have paid to get here (or the UK) and they hope to make a better life.

Some would probably get visas the normal way if they knew they were available. But you can be fairly certain that the last thing they will do is commit any type of criminal act as it simply fast tracks them out of the system after trying so hard to get in.

We have become a wealthy nation and therefore we are on the radar of refugees - just like America was for many many years the target of Irish people (and in the 50's & 60's paperwork got "lost" there too and many people changed their names). And a lot of them went on to be hugely successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,020 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Constantly linking immigrants to criminality is an out and out racist act. The same people never want to discuss the 99% of immigrants who are not criminals and living decent lives and raising families, nor discuss the good things they might be doing in the community - their sole fixation is on immigration and criminality.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Agree.

That's why those miscreants who are relentlessly posting hate on sm need to be clamped down on in my view.

They are not representing the people as they claim and just out to cause trouble which furthers their agenda .

This poor man and his friend are the results of that constant online peddling of misinformation and abuse .

• Advertisement

So would you go down the route of say the Swedes, who refuse to even report when foreigners commit crimes out of fear that it will generate societal issues? Because that policy doesn't seem to have worked very well for them. People still learn about the criminal acts, and resentment still grows because they are seen as being a protected class of people.

If high levels of immigration are bringing increased crime, we can't ignore that. The answer isn't to blame foreigners, it's to do something about unsustainable levels of immigration.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement