Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croatians attacked in Dublin, one man dead - read OP before posting

Options
  • 03-04-2024 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/first-pic-croatian-man-who-28935970

Reading about the murder (imho it is murder) of this young man whose family have had to turn off his life support today. His injuries were catastrophic. Got me thinking, is Ireland really is not safe for foreigners, be they residents here or tourists.

Remember:

The 2 Polish lads murdered by basically kids

The German students murdered by kids

That Italian guy attacked in Fairview left in a wheelchair paralysed from the neck down

Swiss student Manuela Riedo raped and killed

Imagine being called and told your son was attacked by a gang of scrotes and beaten so badly his injuries have led to his death. What kind of people do this - I'd wager our local lifelong welfare class. This man, an EU citizen, was working, contributing. It gives us a terrible reputation abroad. My heart goes out to his family - how they will cope I don't know.

My daughter and her Spanish partner live here currently and he finishes work late at night in town. I'm terrified something is going to happen to him. We've an underclass here who fear nothing, are capable of anything and barely have any repercussions. They do a bit of time and get out and back on the dole. Free house and money, multiple kids. I'm ashamed and truly horrified. May that poor man - Josip- rest in peace.

Mod warning

OK, let's drop the Sweden talk. This happened in Dublin. And this is not another thread about immigration either, so anyone tempted to try and continue that avenue of discussion can expect a minimum of a threadban

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭foxsake

The 2 Polish lads murdered by basically kids 2008

The German students murdered by kids 2012

That Italian guy attacked in Fairview left in a wheelchair paralysed from the neck down 1999

Swiss student Manuela Riedo raped and killed 2007

These were terrible events but if you going back that far - nealy 25 years - for 4 examples kinda means the opposite that Ireland is kind of safe. esp for foreigners.

Other countries would have many more tourists or foreigners murdered even within europe which would be considered safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭XsApollo

also the instance of it being a a foreigner increases as more arrive, which is increasing all the time.

This isn’t a problem with foreigners it’s a problem with the government of this country and the becoming more untouchable and increasing in quantity of s*um allowed to roam free.

And it isn’t just Irish I class in that category.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

This, it is nowt to do with being foreign. If it wasn't that, it would be for being from the countryside, if not that the wrong part of Dublin, if not that, the way you looked at them, if not that, the way you didn't look at them. Scum being scum and until Gardai are properly supported with numbers, sentences that fit the crime and a judicial system that seems to not punish certain crimes which are morally reprehensible, then nothing will change.

All of this said, Ireland as a whole is still one of the safest places to live. In other countries, many of our news stories wouldn't even make a note in a paper, let alone the national news.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Link added to the op

This thread is not going down the route of comparing Irish murders vs foreign born murders, not a hope. It'll turn into a xenophobic mess and if it even hints at heading in that direction I'll close it in a heartbeat

Feel free to discuss the assault, the man's death and other related issues.

If there is an arrest and charges filed then the thread will have to be closed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

https://www.thejournal.ie/condemnation-assault-croatian-man-died-josip-strok-6349266-Apr2024/

I'm surprised this didn't get more media attention. Have we become so desensitized around street-crime in Dublin or race hatred? I think even 2-3 years ago this would have been one of those news stories that brought the nation to a standstill.

I understand there are people with genuine concerns about immigration and they're entitled to their views. That said I think the responsible thing for those people to do is to strongly and clearly distance themselves from the far-right and the hatred. Please don't let this horrible element hide under your coat-tails. Make your points and have your say, but please be careful and think about how you say it, and what you post and share online.

From the article a comment by Dublin community activist on the far-right and their presence online.

"“Do not attend their events, do not listen to their lies, and do not spread their poison on social media. Anyone who does so is only doing further damage to our communities, and will end up with more innocent peoples blood on their hands’.”"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I don't know, men getting beaten to death never really garners that much attention in this country, certainly doesn't bring the country to a standstill. A couple of foreign blokes getting jumped in Clondalkin isn't really a headline grabber like the Aisling Murphy thing. If they were American tourists I've no doubt it would be different though as we seem to be lapdogs to the USA, like when the place went into meltdown over that American on Talbot St. I can tell you from having a family member killed in a similar way to this Croatian that the media don't really care that much if you're a single bloke with no kids that gets killed in an area like Clondalkin or Finglas.

Some scumbags must have started sh*t with them, the types who'd start on you for anything. I hope they catch the scum who did this and lock them away for a long time but won't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'm always sceptical when the 'activists' are the ones sharing a story.

Not condoning the assault but I'm sure there's more to this than being claimed in that report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭randd1

A girl I used to work with, her mam was fluent in Irish, and often visited a friend in Dublin who spoke Irish, and the two would openly talk in Irish. They did so on time waiting on the Luas, when a group of young lads started screaming at them to fu©k back to their own country if they want to speak their own language.

While I've heard nothing regarding the case, I don't think it was a case of the man being Croatian being targeted, and more a case of scumbags looking for any excuse to be scumbags.

The story from my friend always stuck with me, because it just gave me the constant notion that the type of scumbags that would do something like that do it not because they think the person was foreign, but because they're utterly ignorant scumbags that don't care about the consequences of their actions looking for any excuse to attack someone for nothing. Feral scum is just feral scum, and we don't deal hard enough with them.

Well it sounds like they were targeted for being different according to the guy who survived, the scum who did this tend to be racist and also bigoted towards everyone who's in any way not like them. Their parents are most likely the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭laketreeroger

why wasn’t there protests in clondalkin? I think we all know the answer.

yeah I wonder why the protect are women and children crowd aren't out on the streets demanding garda presence etc.

as you say, scum bags are going to be scumbags. The 'activists' are pushing the race angle, doesn't mean that was the case. The poor chap who was killed is a white European, yet its claimed he was called a black monkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭laketreeroger

the black monkey story is another attack that happened in the Liberties a couple of days ago.

yes scumbags are being scumbags, i.e. bigoted little c*nts who hate anyone who's different, that doesn't mean they're not racist on top of everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Why were those same “activists” protesting when the American tourist was brutally beaten??

Using that poor man’s murder to further their agenda. Disgraceful.

no because the american didn't say he was attacked for not speaking english, see the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Great to see you’ve solved the case, motive included. I assume this has been passed on to Gardai ?

it's the same on twitter, you and your ilk are pissed off because this is being called out as a xenophobic attack, it's bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I had been trying to give some posters the benefit of the doubt, but I think it's clear boards.ie has it's own problems with this element.

• Advertisement

you're right, i thought it was the same incident. I feel really sad for the country at present, so many issue's from law and order to housing to health. We aren't in a good place at all.

well the take on these things - "It's not racist or xenophobic our scumbags would attack anyone" pisses me off. Our scumbags are racist and xenophobic and homophobic and all the rest, they attack anyone who's different because they're bigoted morons.

but different to them could simply be a Dub from a different estate. They probably could be everything you described but the chances are they're just trouble makers with no fear of the law and should be locked up years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I have seen videos posted online where they stick mobile phones in the faces of people they consider different and shout abuse at them.

This sounds like an escalation of that sort of misbehaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Boards can be the pits, a man was beaten to death that's it. They followed him home in a car after comming across them outside an off licence.

There has to be a psychological investigation in to why these things happen what triggers young men to commit voilence on other men who are strangers to them.

It's not good enough to say they are scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭growleaves

I feel sorry for immigrants who are in the belly of the beast. They are put into violent and chaotic neighbourhoods to live alongside some of the most troubled people in the country.

As seen by a string of newspaper stories on the WRC, they are often exploited and paid starvation wages.

Fat and happy 'liberal activists' will never take any responsibility for any of this. Their goal is just to shove in as many random people from foreign places as possible, use them as cudgel to accuse people of racism, proclaim (wrongly) that's it's 'good for the economy' (it isn't).

They also ensure sentencing guidelines, punishments, policing, deterrence for violent crime is kept as light touch as possible. Buttressed by quite dubious sociological theories.

When it all goes wrong, as it must, these 'activists' never engage in soul-searching about their failed attempts to engineer 'communities' of unrelated peoples.

right trying to blame the liberals or whatever on this is ridiculous, the man killed was an EU citizen who had a good job in construction. this is purely the fault of some absolute scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Meanwhile the "activists" on the other side are making their harassment videos and posting them online to wind up the easily led.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Ah you know yourself. We have a habit in Ireland of trying to deny racism is a problem. It's clear from all reports this was a racist attack.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement