Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why should we tip?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I’ve never seen service charges in the M* restaurants I’ve been to - last M* was 2 years ago and none there either

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I do tip at 15 to 20 percent. And I hate that tipping culture from the US too.

But I recognise the world for what it is, rather than what I think it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

If you hate the tipping culture for the US, why carry that over here?

USA staff get paid badly hence tipping culture. Its a very different employment situation here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Why though? Why is the waiter in the fancy restaurant more deserving of a tip than any of the other workers i mentioned.

• Advertisement

That should apply to any business start up then should it not?

I'm trying to get people to think a bit more about tipping with this thread. Why we do it and who actually deserves a tip.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I don't have answer to that question, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

lol, thats a very honest reply😁

I think we tip because we have been conditioned into it, and habits form. I (unfortunately) travel a lot in the US and it’s ridiculous there, ridiculous further that we copied it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I have not read the whole thread

In Ireland we are moving more to a tipping culture good or bad service. Its expected by some people. I have no problem tipping good service and do so. I don't agree with tipping someone just for doing the job they are employed to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Packrat

I'm 50. Irish farmer to the bone like every generation before me on both sides. My mother taught me to tip and why, when I was about 5 because she had worked in restaurants herself as a younger woman. Also - she had a bit of class about her unlike a lot of the posters here.

Whining and bitching about feeling obliged to tip when they're too mean. What's really wrong is that they don't have enough backbone to stand over their meanness.

If I can go and blow 170 euro on family dinner for myself, the wife and the kids once a week, I can damm well afford to drop another 20 or 30 on a good friendly waiter or waitress. It makes no difference to my general finances and it could make a big difference to theirs.

If I couldn't afford it (and there were times in my life when I couldnt) then i wouldn't do it, but i certainly wouldn't try to make up spurious social justice reasons to avoid it.

That's just another version of punching down by jealous professionals.

Any excuse...

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Rowan Lane

I understand your perspective, and it's true that tipping culture varies significantly between countries. In Ireland, tipping isn't as ingrained as it is in the US. Some argue that tipping should reflect exceptional service rather than being an expected norm. It's a debate about whether tipping should be a bonus for exceptional service or a necessity to supplement low wages. Ultimately, personal values and cultural norms influence individual tipping habits.

You haven’t paid much attention to what people are saying on this thread if you insist it’s simply down to meanness.

For many including myself it comes down to who actually deserves a tip. I’m not going to tip as a matter of course. Also why are waiting staff so deserving of tips vs other service workers?

Lots of low paid workers out there who don’t get tips btw. What exactly entitles a worker who carries food to your table deserving of extra money vs say a DPD driver delivering packages in the lashing winter rain or the bin-man or the deli worker making your sandwich?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I suspect they are all full time employees, and receive higher pay than part time waiting staff, who are typically young people/students.

I agree with you, you shouldn’t feel pressured by the service provider, but at the same time, it is a bit miserly not to leave a few €.

I remember my parents always gave the binmen an envelope with some punts in it at Christmas when it was a local company and they knew them, not now that it is a larger company. I do give the DPD courier money at Christmas, along with our postman, the same DPD guy has been picking up/dropping off daily for years, we have his personal mobile and phone him if we are waiting on an urgent delivery.

There have been some great points made in this thread. My takeaway is I will continue to only tip for service that goes above and beyond. And it won’t be industry specific, there are many different types of jobs out there that deserve tips on occasion.

Sorry to the poor waiter/waitress out there but you are no more deserving or entitled to a supplement to your income than many other workers out there.

Eg is anyone tipping the low paid care attendant in a nursing home who feeds, washes and cares for their elderly relatives.
    Id rather be carrying a plate of food to a table than wiping someone’s behind. Just a thought.

I think you should make a point of telling the staff when you sit down, that you will not be tipping, unless they perform exceptional service.

Why would I do that. I want nothing more from them than basic service. Take the order, deliver the food and drink and call back to the table maybe once or twice to check if everything is ok.

I have the same friendly interaction with the barista, the postman, the retail worker, the dentist, the taxi driver the plumber etc as I have with the waitress. Im respectful to all staff. I’m more of a keep the change sort of guy than a tipper anyway.

I work a job where I wouldn’t be allowed accept a tip and it has absolutely no impact on the level of service I provide.

It would show you have the courage of your convictions, and strike a blow to the heart of the tipping culture. In fact, it would be a public service.

They would still be doing their job.

I can do that when I pay the bill and don’t leave a tip if I didn’t think it was deserved. No explanation needed we are not in America.

But that will not help others, if you tell them in advance why you don’t believe in tipping, you give them an opportunity to be exceptional.

• Advertisement

I don’t have one when it comes to waiting staff, I think you used the term in an earlier post.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Has a person on the supermarket checkout never been helpful and sound with you? Never found a damaged item and got it replaced for you or helped with vouchers, or sparked up a chat with you?

I'd imagine they have been helpful or sound but we don't tip them simply because it's not expected. We make up our reasons for tipping or nor tipping after the fact, not before.

There's no consistent reason to tip a waiter and not to tip the office cleaners or the person on the supermarket till.

I said above and beyond not exceptional.

The great philosopher Roy Keane once said.. “it’s their job isn’t it”.

So I suppose just serving the food and drink isn’t above and beyond. Being attentive to people with a particular issue/needs or with children. Clearly holding things together at a very busy moment etc. something that stands out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Do you tip people in jobs that your mother didn't work in? Supermarket staff, for example? Someone stacking shelves helps you find the tinfoil in the supermarket, do you tip them?

If not, then why not? I'm sure it would make a difference to their finances. Same with the person on the check out. So why the waiter and not the supermarket staff?

Actually you did say exceptional, you just have to go back and read your posts.

Exceptional.

You referenced your own job, if you are just doing what you are being paid to do, nothing more, nothing exceptional, do you think you deserve a bonus, or even a pay rise?

I ask that, in the knowledge that a considerable proportion of waiting staff are temporary and do not look at it as a career, so have little hope of pay increases/bonuses that are commonplace in full employment. Hence why I don’t mind giving them a tip, I know they are most likely young people in a minimum wage job supporting themselves in college or during the summer, so as I can afford it, I’ll give it.

Post edited by Dav010 on

Without going round in circles this exchange between packrat and El_Duderino sums it up pretty nicely.

Imo tip who you want, when you want and however much you want. But don’t expect others to have the same outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Also, tipping in Ireland on the total VAT included bill makes no sense.

At least in the states, the tip is based on the figure before the application of sales tax.

And I won't bother repeating the point of US waiters on minimum wage of 2 dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I agree on this. There is a significant number of minimum wage staff that will never get a tip from contract cleaners to supermarket and retail staff.

Having said that I tip the small village barber charges the hair cut costs 12 euro ( trimmer cut) I pay in cash and give a tip of 2 euro. Eating out it depends, pub grub 2-3 euro, if its myself and herself a fiver, restaurant 10% ish of the meal but not including any drink. In a coffee shop inviting only a coffee no, if I am eating something a euro or two. In a group setting if anyone suggests over 10% I say no.

Minimum wage in Ireland is 12.70/ hour for over 21. However a lot of staff in restaurants etc are under that age and those that are 18 and younger are on 10/ hour or less.

One thing though pay cash to these small businesses it will help them a lot

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

I lived in America for a while - waiters and waitresses depend on the tips they receive, unlike in Ireland their not paid a proper wage, so I feel her complaints are valid. The service in America is generally good, not always, but most of the time the service is immaculate. I was in New York in February and the service was good everywhere I went, you can tell that most of the staff are trained to a higher, more professional standard than here in Ireland and waitressing is a more of a viable career choice, but like any job, the wages should somewhat reflect the work, but in the case of waitressing, they don't, threfore workers in America expect to be tipped accordingly, and again in this case the waitress wasn't tipped the correct amount - which led to her complaint.

This doesn't apply to Ireland.

In Ireland waitresses and waiters are paid a set wage and a service charge is normally included in the bill( But not always) my last bill had a service charge of 12.5% - so your under no obligation to leave a tip after that. Sometimes it will state that a service charge is not included, this can then prompt you to leave a tip. I think there are definitely times when you should/shouldnt' leave a tip. If the service is extremely good and the food/haircut/drinks/nails/ are good, then you should always leave a tip - its a nice gesture and form of gratitude, especially for something thats exceeded your expectations or a service you would regularly use.

Advertisement