Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why should we tip?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,017 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I worked in resturants and tipping made absolutely no sense. I just tried to do my job well and the times you got a tip or didn't get a tip had absolutely no correlation to the level of service. People who tipped generally did it in situations where it would be seen as mean not to tip, not because the service was good.

And the idea that people are any great judge of great service is just silly snobbery. The factors that go into whether you get good service from the waiter is generally unknowable to the customer, and unrelated to the waiter.

People have said they tip if the food is good... what in the name of Jaysus does the food have to do with the waiter? They didn't source the ingredients, set the menu or cook the food. When you ask for a dish and it's sold out, that's not the waiters fault. Likewise if the menu and food are great, that's not the waiter's good work either. When the manager forgets to roster extra staff on a night when there's an event nearby and you get poor service from waiter's run off their feet, that's not the waiter's fault.

One way to get a tip would be to lay it on thick with a couple who look like they might be on a first date, or a birthday because they feel obliged appear generous by tipping. But that's not good service, that's just exploiting the social convention.

It's a silly convention based on pretending to be such a connoisseur of resturants that you know great service when you see it. Most people don't have a clue and tip for no reason other than because it's expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,558 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Hooked

I was in New York Paddy's weekend (Thurs - Mon) and have to say… I tipped (minimum seems to be 15% these days) as expected BUT there wasn't ONE episode of 'great service' in all of my visits to bars and restaurants. They seem to just expect it now.

I found it laughable that someone at a food mall kiosk that literally has to hand you a slice of pizza or the lad the 'bar' in Madison Sq Garden handing you 2 cans of beer has the tip options 25/20/15 pre-loaded on the screen when you come to tap.

A tip for 5 seconds work without even so much as a smile. Wept!

I regularly visit a local golf club for grub and pints here at home and always leave a generous tip as the staff are always full of chat, good service and banter. They seem to really appreciate it. And I don't see to may others tipping - just tapping cards and out the gap. I think it has it's place - when the service warrants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,558 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A few of my local bars have started this in the last year or two. You'll be up at the bar, buying a couple of drinks and then the first screen on the card machine when paying is different tip percentages. You then feel like a stingy c*nt clicking 0%.

This isn't the US lads, we don't tip every round. And I'm already paying **** 7 euro for a pint.

I agree with the sentiment, but what has the cost of a pint got to do with the tip? If the tip is for great service, and the cost of the pint isn't set by the server, then why are they related?

ItIt's similar to deciding whether to tip a waiter based on the food quality or decor of the resturant, neither of which is controlled by the waiter.

The rationale for tipping is totally backwards. People tip, and then make up their reasons for doing it afterwards. I think the truth is most people tip to avoid appearing stingy rather than anything to do with the service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I only ever tip when in a group. And the only reason is because every group has at least one clown who thinks you should tip.

I remember a few years back on a night out with work colleagues. The cocktails were €18, the food was average and the bill for the 6 of us came in at about 450 or so. One dope of a colleague suggested leaving a 10% tip, she was snapped at by another colleague who said the following: "10%??? THIS ISN'T AMERICA". I was just about to give her a pat on the back for this outburst before I realised she was dismissing this as being too low and insisted everyone chip in for a 20% tip!!

Naturally I was horrified at such mind-numbing stupidity and was the last time I went on a night out with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Sure it was only 15 euro each, whats the big deal?

you would think it was 50 euro each.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

it’s a great story in that it illustrates just how stupid the concept is and how some people have been programmed into thinking that their “brand” might be impacted in some way if they’re seeing to be not tipping what their perception of the “social norm” is.

They don’t know the service staff - they’ll probably never see them again - but yet they worry about how they might be perceived by them in those few seconds of paying the bill and leaving the establishment so they throw 15 quid per head at these people to satisfy their misplaced thought process and conscience .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

I'll tip in restaurants, where good service is provided over 2-3 hours. You've earned it at that point, but not entitled to it. I cannot stand the idea of tipping for a coffee or just dropping off a sandwich at my table.

You moved a plate from one counter to another, I'm struggling to see the extra money warranted. Then, delivery drivers, I can't remember the last time I didn't have to pay a delivery charge.

Then the top of the whole entitled deluded pile, tip jars at coffee shops or the tipping screen when paying by card. Are you for real? The mark up on coffee is insane going near 80% for pouring a bit of water and milk, no matter how fancy you do it doesn't matter, your labor is well and truly covered multiple times with mark up like that. The fckn audacity.

You shouldn't have to tip, but it is nice when someone has put in a concentrated effort, and if I'm out splurging money on a meal, why not throw a couple of euros to the person who ensured the meal went well and everyone was satisfied. But again it's just the entitlement. Don't expect a tip, expect a decent wage for your effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Good grief, I hope this is a joke! We're not talking japanese Yen here.

If you paid 18 euro for a cocktail would you then insist everyone at the table contribute 15 euro tip? Mind-boggling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

This absolutely boils my blood.
    I tip 10% and if they don't even acknowledge it, I feel like say - "actually, forget it - no tip"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Laughed at that. IME it seems to happen more with groups and as another poster said, people just go along with it.

Is it 'showing off' in some cases - bigger tip indicates you have plenty of money?

What if you left it late to order a taxi and were rushing to catch a train or plane and the taxi driver put the foot down and got you there in the nick of time? would you not tip him/her?

I might not suggest it but wouldn't care about throwing 15 euro on the table if someone mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

"Tipping Culture" in America is totally out of control, it has actually put me off going to the States for a holiday with all the additional charges added over the base prices you see on the board…

The stories I've heard of people expecting tips for basically opening a fridge door to take out a can of beer, turn around and hand it to you is just ridiculous..

I can understand if you're part of a large group at a bar/restaurant tipping the waiting staff a couple of Euro, however the cost of eating/drinking out is already a factor in the large numbers of food&drink retail establishments which are closing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Sono

always, always tip

I’d never tip in bars ordering a pint at the bar- that to me is just ludicrous.

But I’ve been to enough restaurants to know what “good” looks and feels like.

I’ve walked out of restaurants because of bad service- rarely I might add but I’ve done so.

I’ve left no tip on occasion as simply the service staff were either rude or useless - I don’t reward bad service.
    In terms of food, I do complain if the food is bad quality - if that’s handled well I leave a tip- if it’s not handled well I don’t.

However I don’t think people over think tips in terms of separating the service staff from the food from the experience - they’re all rolled into one for me.

If the food is bad but the service is ok but people aren’t leaving tips, I think the service staff won’t be long about complaining to the chef or looking for another job - if you’re dissatisfied after a meal and leave half it behind you , you’re less inclined to tip generously if at all especially if the service staff don’t appear to notice- it’s obvious what the problem is- you’re making the point of saying this isn’t good enough so no tip- so I don’t really agree that we should or do only tip with the waiter in mind - it’s not that simple.

15 euros must come easy to you if you wouldn't think about "throwing" 15 euro on the table as a complete after though. But, I suppose that was the point of saying it in the first place, much like tipping itself.

Seriously though, if you didn't appreciate the service enough to think about tipping, why would you agree with paying the 15 euro just because someone else told you to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

This is the dilemma for a lot of people. Is tipping always just for food/drinks or is it for every service used; is it for all minimum wage jobs; are self-employed (eg taxis, hairdressers etc) excluded; is it the same % in every situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Any time I've used a Taxi i've ordered through an App/Uber so at least the journey is paid for already.

And the cost of a Gents haircut in Dublin now is anything from €18 to €38 depending, so I'm sure at that price it's already enough..

• Advertisement

If you've ever worked in kitchens, waiters do not get to tell the chef their food isn't good enough. It is most certainly not their place in the real world of kitchens. That's just not how it works. If you think tipping or not tipping as a protest is going to tricke up to the chef and cause them to change their behaviour, it really isn't. Not getting repeat custom and losing money will catch management's attention, but tips to waits taff won't.

But I noticed people tipped based on the occasion. Birthdays or groups who were having a few drinks and, most importantly having a good time, we're more likely to tip. The whole ambiance of the restaurant was a big factor in whether people tip. Totally unrelated to the service.

You personally might distinguish between the various factors that contribute to the service and those that are unrelated to the service. But the vast majority of people don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I had exactly that experience in Florida last year. I could have reached into the fridge myself and got the can of beer. I don't even think he gave me a glass. The total transaction took less than 20 seconds and he wanted a dollar on top of an already overpriced beer. Money for jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,713 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I have worked in kitchens - many years ago in my younger days granted- but the service staff would always be commenting on the food - we’d have our breaks along with the chefs etc in the kitchen so word would travel back - customers do complain more these days about their food in my experience and don’t give it a second thought to do so - everyone knows the implications for bad food - everyone suffers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Yah of tipping makes you happy, go for it. It's not my place to tell anyone else what to do with their money. And that works both ways...

I would always tip unless the staff were rude and the food was awful, I just might not think 15 each but wouldn't have a problem if someone in the party said 15 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Tipping in Ireland is done for the benefit of the tipper, not the tippee. Like a lot of Irish behaviour, it is rooted in insecurity - some members of the human herd tip because others tip and because it is a social faux pas to appear stingy. Other tippers want to be a Bigshot who pulls out a wad of notes and casually throws one to the staff like it means nothing to him. In general, there is a tremendous amount of nonsense associated with "fine dining". Some of these fcukers seem to think they are Henry VIII at a banquet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I had an argument with a waitress in California last year because I only tipped 10%. I told her it's because the service was awful (it was) but agreed to change my amount. So I took the bill. Scratched out the 10% and wrote 0

Service was slow, no smiles, took 10 minutes to get gone off milk replaced. She was lucky I offered 10% in the beginning. The suggested tip in California is 17.5% by the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭McGrath5

The American/Canadian tipping culture is horrible. It creates a strange dynamic that allows the customer to act like a dick without any fear of staff telling them off because they're afraid of their life they won't get a tip. I was in Canada a few years ago and a crowd a few tables away were throwing food at each other, nobody that worked there said a word! Act like that in France or Spain and you would be rightly told where to go.

It's a kind of strange one in Ireland, everywhere you go in terms of buying food or drink out there is a tip jar or a card machine asking you to tip. I hardly ever do and staff don't bat an eyelid if you don't tip.

Advertisement