Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why should we tip?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Allinall

Ask anyone on the receiving end of tips and you’ll have your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭blackbox

Tipping institutionalises poor pay.

In the USA the minimum wage for people who can get tips is less than 3 dollars, which is basically a disgrace.

Better off getting a reasonable wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

- it’s probably the extreme of tipping everyone 20%

I tip my barber as quite simply there’s only so many cuts per hour you can do - only so much you can charge (my barber is very reasonably priced- I don’t do expensive barber cuts) - they’re skilled at what they do and they deserve a tip.

Taxi drivers? If the cab is clean and they’re good enough mood then a few euro max - but if they’re a bit moody and cab is dirty then no

Deliveries? I rarely get takeaway delivered since most now start charging a lot for delivery and that’s before you feel you have to tip so no I cut out takeaway deliveries coz they’re too expensive. I collect

Cafes? Never

Table service in pubs? Rarely use this but on a very busy night yes a euro or two but not every round unless a group of us

Hotel porter? Most hotels these days I carry my own bags - 5 stars might show you to your room but if they don’t I just carry my bags myself

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It's a tax dodge by employers, and a horrible way of treating workers.

I do tip, but no worker should have to rely on tips. Work and get paid a regular wage.

I would hate to see that American tipping culture to be the norm here, but tbh, it has been for years, so I do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭billyhead

It's starting to happen here aswell whereby the waiting staff annoy you during you're meal to ask is everything alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭downtheroad

The modern payment terminals in a cafe are horrendous for expecting a tip. You order a takeaway coffee, which is already extremely overpriced, and before you can tao your card you have to choose your tip option, with no tip (to makenyou feel guilty) or 3 preprogrammed stupid tips.

No tip it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Go with your gut, if you feel someone deserves a tip leave one, if not don't feel pressure that its now the done thing. We aren't there yet thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I'll tip where I'm happy with service or food suppled but I will not be told how much I should tip.

minimum wage protections are much greater now these days - I still tip but have cut back on how much I tip - I never tipped to USA levels anyway nor will I so it doesn’t bother me

There has been times I have given a few euro to fast food staff, even pub bouncers. If they are nice. It shouldn't just be fancy restaurant staff, eh? Still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I tipped someone in Australia once for fitting me with a suit.
    He got bold thick and saying I insulted him.
    Fuck this says I and kept the money.
    it’s hard to please some fcukers

I’d never tip in a queue cafe ever. Most ridiculous idea - anyone who does has more money than sense

• Registered Users Posts: 20,017 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

If we tip for great service, what would a taxi driver do that goes beyond the basic brief of taking you from A to B?

I don't like tipping. I only ever do it if social convention dictates, like being out for a meal with a group.

I don't want great service if that means being pestered by the waiter. We're not mates. I pretty much want to exchange pleasantries, order, and enjoy the food. I can't think of any of that which goes beyond the brief of a waiter.

I know other people enjoying tipping, and best of luck to them. Whatever makes them happy. I don't enjoy it though.

I was in Amsterdam a few weeks ago, and in that city and most of Europe, tipping is not expected, but…

This one place, the waitress had to present this horrible device to me with an options of tipping, 10, 15, 20 whatever.

It's abhorent, I thought. This person has served me, really good, but the idea of having to present this machine to me??

Awful. Tipping is NOT helping your worker. It makes them look like a slave. I hate it. :(

Australia is one of the countries where tipping is not necessarily the norm - but I’d never dream of tipping someone for fitting me out with clothing - that’s just weird

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

I was a bit surprised when a good friend said her hairdressers put up a sign saying 'we prefer cash tips'.

Then last week we had a nice meal out, and when paying the bill, the waiter asked if we could leave a cash tip instead of adding it to the visa amount. First time I'd encountered that but maybe it's a thing now.

I tip my barber €4. I choose 20% on my taxi app. Why? I dunno. Maybe I'm a hypocrite. Hmm.

first of all that was a cheeky ask - secondly tips going through CC are now taxed I believe by revenue - that’s if the restaurant pays out to the staff in the first place - was an article in the last year or so on that I think in Irish newspapers

https://businessplus.ie/news/tips-tax-laws/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,017 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Who else could you tip? Cleaning staff in resturants, pubs, cafes, the office. Street cleaners who clean your street. Amazon and Evri delivery driver, floor staff in shopping centres and super markets, hospital porters.

There's no rhyme nor reason for the list of jobs we do tip vs the list of jobs we don't tip. It's mostly just social convention with reasons made up later to justify the decisions we've already made.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Ted222

Restaurants have to pay a small percentage of card income to the issuing card company. It may only be 1 or 2 percent but it adds up.

Where tips are added to a bill (rather than being paid in cash), the amount on which the percentage is based includes the amount intended as a tip. I’m aware of some restaurants who remove this third party charge from the tip “pool” before distributing it to staff.

This is why cash tips are preferred. It’s a greater net amount for the beneficiary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Ted222

What gets me is cafes where you queue and are asked to pay at the point of purchase before any service has been discharged.

If there was a facility to tip separately on the way I’d consider it but expecting a tip in advance is just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

there is a food service place in dublin airport, T2 where you are met by a person and sent to a numbered seat, then told to scan the table barcode, view the menu, then enter all orders on the app/website. Then after doing all the work are asked how much of a tip do you want to leave. Not once have you engaged with a real person.

now it’s Russian roulette. Zero tip and I get extra Special ingredients? 10% I get what i ordered…..maybe? 18% I get extra ingredients because I am a rich American twat???? Eating out is dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I wouldn't think it has anything to do with being a snob, when I tip, its just me saying I appreciate the service, here is a few quid extra to show you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Why would a waiter on minimum wage deserve a tip versus a person working the checkout in a supermarket also on minimum wage?

Both are giving you your food, which you're paying for.

Few would tip a barman for serving a pint.

You don't tip a bus driver, but many tip a taxi driver.

It makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭purpleshoe

Loath the tipping culture that is now in Ireland. I don’t understand why you would tip a barber, a taxi driver, or the person selling coffee out of the side of a converted horse box.

In a restaurant I will begrudgingly tip because there is generally an effort made by staff to ensure you are ok for everything. Have noticed that hospitality staff are giving less of a $hit though, which means I tip even less. God I really dislike how the Irish hospitality sector has changed since Covid. I

• Registered Users Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Here , mostly , gratitude’s, tips , are in the bill . America is different, waiters are minimum wage and live on tips. A joke paying for both

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

I'd hate to see us the American way where they pay an additional 15-20% on everything even when service is poor. I think most people generally tip for good service but in last few years I rarely have cash as tapping is much more convenient. I'm sure tipping has reduced as a result of a more cashless society.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭Inviere

At that point the question the screen really just feels like "Would you like to pay more?" doesn't it?

it’s clear from the posts here that it’s within our control to stop a culture of an ever expanding list of when we tip.

Tipping is simply an imported habit from another country but without the underlying rationale or traditions associated with that culture or country.

As a token gesture for barbers/hairdressers, waiting staff in restaurants (not self service cafes) it’s probably the norm now but the amounts don’t have to be anything like the levels of USA.

I can’t recall which ones right now but I’ve certainly seen tipping jars in a number of self service cafes and I’ve seen one in a takeaway restaurant recently which I just laughed at to myself. The thing is, the younger generation growing up will start to get used to these erroneous requests for additional cash and it will become the norm then. But not for me🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Baba Yaga

yeah id leave a few euro in a restaurant when its good,same with a barber when its a good cut and hes left my ears attached to my head! like a poster above when i first started going to Italy we invited a few friends and her family for dinner,when i went to pay i gave a good tip,when we were leaving it was like when a mafia don is being greeted! was told by herself after i shouldnt have,its in the bill…

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

Advertisement