Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why should we tip?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Blue Badger

It's fascinating reading just how many opinions there are across the board here. I'm probably going to receive hate now for saying that I never tip (tbf I don't really eat out either).

To me tipping is something that makes sense if a person goes above and beyond. To normalise it for no particular reasons seems daft; I thought this was only a custom in the states.

I am a very black and white person in that I want to receive a menu with a displayed price. And I want to pay that price. Don't fcuk around with separate service charges or any of that nonsense, seems idiotic to me.

Just put one price on the menu. Transparency. No guilting customers into subsidising wages when the business should simply charge more to account for a living wage. If they can't afford it then they should go out of business.

Please don't let Ireland turn into America.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Blue Badger

Adding to the above I somewhat agree with what someone else said about only tipping when in a group (I don't mean that as a formal rule). If alone then it's much more difficult to imagine a server doing something that would warrant me leaving a tip.

If I'm eating out in a group as would typically be the case given that I'm not the type to go to restaurants on my own volition then it's more more reasonable for me to imagine that a server may go out of their way to look after us as a whole, cracking jokes, lightening the mood, giving us more focus for serving drinks or otherwise as we're a collective.

But even then, that is not a requisite. If we choose to tip it is our choice. Nothing should be expected. Restaurants should charge more for the listed price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I guess it gives the illusion of “value” - prices of listed food items are naturally lower because staff costs are lower- if you take this into account before you enter and just assume everything will be 15-20% more expensive when the bill arrives you’ll probably relax more or else decide to eat elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,556 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I am buying a pint. I can't go behind the bar and pull the pint myself. The act of pulling the pint should be seen as part of the transaction that is buying the pint. Why would that act require further payment via tipping?

I don't tip the person in the shop when buying a loaf of bread. The act of putting a loaf of bread through the scanner and then totalling everything up isn't seen as tip worthy. It's their job. I don't understand why now all of a sudden barmen standing behind a bar deserve tips?

Someone mentioned earlier that it's us mimicking US culture. I'd definitely agree with that, I remember having to tip barmen in New York many many years ago per round and thinking it was a bizarre concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,012 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I don't think you ought to tip the bar server either. I was asking why the price of the pint has anything to do with the decision to tip or not. The bar staff don't set the prices, so why would the tip (which is usually to do with the level of service) be relayed to the price which the bar staff didn't have anything to do with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

I was in a restaurant in Kotor Montenegro last year, 25 % service charge, vast majority of it went towards protection money

Meal was excellent by the way and our host delightful

was there a gun to his head to encourage his smiles?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

You shouldn't tip to make up for companies shortcoming or downright greediness in not paying their workers more than a slave wage that's not enough to live on. Fine if a person goes out of their way and really helps you, have a nice service, but never be forced to pay it.

Do not let these companies get away with their customers subsidising their workers. This isn't the United States, but more and more each year it's getting closer in how the country is being run and i'm sure it's not a coincidence, considering the lobbying and influence that goes on from U.S.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

At one point he did emerge from the kitchen looking a little pale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Think of all the translations and interactions you have with workers on any particular day. Who of them deserves a tip more? We generally don’t tip all of them so who deserves it more.

Call in for the morning takeaway coffee at the local coffee shop or van ?

The DPD driver delivering a package in all weathers ?

The shop assistant scanning your groceries ?

The bin man collecting your rubbish ?

The Doctor checking your health

The dentist assistant cleaning your teeth ?

The waitress serving your lunch in the local cafe ?

The barman pouring you your after work pint ?

The waiter in the fancy restaurant where you are out celebrating a family birthday ?

The plumber who comes to fix your cistern ?

The Taxi driver dropping you home ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

If you're an American: All of them.

If you're not then: "The waiter in the fancy restaurant where you are out celebrating a family birthday"

If you can afford to take a large group out to a fancy restaurant then you can afford a 15%++ tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I wanted to pay by card but tip with cash. For the tip option on the card, I put 0 and the woman sighed and rolled her eyes. She hadn’t been particularly nice during the meal but I took it that she was busy.

The rolling of her eyes made me not want to leave the cash tip at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭downtheroad

15++%?

10% was the norm for years. Are we now inflating tips?

Another bull$h!t is a service charge for tables of 6 or more. If there's 4 or 5 people at a table is that easier to serve? Or 3 tables of 2.

It's all nonsense. Don't forget we have one of the highest minimum wages in Europe, this isn't the US with its pittance of a wage that had to be topped up by the patron.

Didn't say 15% was the law did I?

If you're going to a fancy restaurant then make the tip substantial…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,145 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Why is this such an issue for some people?

You are not obliged to give a tip, if you feel pressure to do so, then you should really work on that as you are weak willed.

I always tip in restaurants, not because I feel I have to, or even am expected to, I’m an adult, I’m not that easily influenced. I do so because I want to, the waiting staff are usually young people so I don’t mind giving it. I also tip taxis, take away deliveries, and at Christmas I give €50 to the girl who gives me my latte every morning. But that’s me, if I didn’t have it, I wouldn’t give it.

10% of a substantial bill is a substantial tip

The latte is, she’s 30 yrs younger than me so I’m not going to lower myself to answer the way you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

There is a lot of tight miserable people on here, if you don't want to tip then don't but don't be mad that you are sometimes embarrassed into paying a tip because the rest of your party wants to pay one. if you really believe in not tipping stick to your guns.

I think a lot of the "I hate tipping" posters obviously have never been in business, it takes serious balls to open a restaurant in this country, most find it very hard to survive, and you probably only go once in a blue moon but its such an ordeal to give few euro tip. 🤦‍♂️ first world problems at its finest.

someone I know got a 100 euro tip off some rich lady once for serving her a 15 euro dinner. sure if you have it why not? its only paper.

does she draw little hearts on your crème ? 🤪

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Doctor, Dentist and plumber, no way as they make enough money without it.

the taxi driver and waiter would be the only 2 who would get money from me from the rest of the list, if they were sound and helpful.

matter of perspective isn't it.. If you're going to a fancy restaurant you have money, then you can afford to tip more than the basic.

Gee sorry for offending - I obviously I touched a nerve with my crème girl comment -didn’t think AH had turned into sensitive hour

But if the standard of service is no different to that at a non fancy restaurant, why is a premium tip required?

Is the fancy restaurant required to pay a higher wage to its staff than a non fancy restaurant?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

I thought the comment was funny.....for what is worth

Easy; Michelin starred restaurant = Michelin star tip

that’s not a rule of mine at all and I’ve been to quite a few M* restaurants - the food and service is always incredible yes, but my tip is similar % to other restaurants - an M* doesn’t influence me at all

I'm sure the 20% service charge on the bill is enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I never tip unless there is an absolutely exceptional reason for doing so.

Tipping is best left stateside.

Advertisement