Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Kathleen Sat 6th April 2024.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Yellow wind warning for Ireland, Saturday 0700-2000

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Ireland

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Very strong and gusty southerly winds.

Possible impacts:

• Some fallen trees
    • Difficult travel conditions
    • Debris, loose objects displaced
    • Some coastal flooding

Valid: 07:00 Saturday 06/04/2024 to 20:00 Saturday 06/04/2024

Issued: 09:41 Thursday 04/04/2024

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

I’d expect this to be upgraded tomorrow- few children’s parties already cancelled for Saturday in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,414 ✭✭✭✭zell12

No mention of Olivia?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Some SW & W coastal counties might go orange for different times on Saturday but orange level gusts likely to be confined to the coastal areas. The ECM, GFS, ARPEGE are all in broad agreement at this stage, just minor differences in max gusts and timings. The UKMO is also more or less in agreement except showing stronger winds overland but that model has shown a lot of extremes the past winter and I don't really give it much weight. ICON off on its own too, and I'd suggest too much of an outlier at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Bit confusing that post from the UK Met they say tail end of Storm Olivia tomorrow and a 2nd Storm on Saturday which one is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Orange - Wind warning for Cork, Kerry, Galway, Mayo

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Storm Kathleen will bring gale force southerly winds, with some severe and damaging gusts.

Possible impacts:

• Very difficult travel conditions
    • Fallen trees
    • Some power outages
    • Coastal flooding
    • Wave overtopping

Valid: 07:00 Saturday 06/04/2024 to 17:00 Saturday

06/04/2024

Issued: 10:48 Thursday 04/04/2024

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭aidanodr

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

That's what happens when someone post something from the click bait media

@Meteorite58 Storm named now - #STORMKATHLEEN .. Perhaps change the thread title to reflect? Just in case some one else starts a #STORMKATHLEEN thread :D

Post edited by Meteorite58 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Typical! Yesterday was lovely so power hosed the patio and paths and set out all the garden furniture. Looks like I’ll have to put it all safely away again now.

Olivia was the storm that brought all the rain to Portugal. It was named by the Portuguese Met Office and will bring some wind and rain our way tomorrow but not stormy conditions, that's just clickbait nonsense. Kathleen on Saturday will be more of an event for us.

Well .. looking at Met dot IE site for us in carrigaline its pretty much wall to wall rain until at least next Tuesday. So we didnt put out the furniture yet :D .. In fact there has been so much rain here we have not cut the grass yet as the ground is permanently sodden & its been mainly raining so no real opportunity.

I note Alan Reilly Carlow weather on radio yesterday ( I think ) .. said its essentially been raining in Ireland for about the last 8 months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭live4tkd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭Seadin

**** sake another storm. When does this ever stop? Can it still be upgraded to a red warning?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Changed title.

WRF a good model closer to the time, ICON and UKMO still away out in front but looking at an average of the models for now, still need to keep an eye on it for fine tuning. Met Eireann fairly quick out of the blocks with the warnings, more counties could be added to Orange, will see how it pans out.

I'd say red is highly unlikely. If ICON were to verify then red warnings would be issued, but at this stage I very much doubt it. The rest of the main models have been aligned for the past 24 hours or so with what Met Eireann have forecast, and more often than not the forecast max potential gusts don't verify here. Even the orange warnings will mainly be a result of the winds on the coasts, inland will likely be yellow-level for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

UK Met have warnings for wind gusts 70mph we will be closer to this storm what are the wind gusts likely to be for us

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭tiegan

Flying out of Cork 7am Sat - could be interesting!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Was there a further suggestion of another storm later in the next week too, or is it that the winds will remain for a few days past Saturday?

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate

One last blast.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Could yet be a record breaking year for named storms, didnt realise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It looks like it won't be nearly as strong well inland as the last storm. Unless we see last minute upgrades with more counties going orange,but I think the bulk of the country will stay in yellow territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Mapaputsi

I'm no expert, but it does look like it will skim off the side of the country. Might see a case where a county like Galway has an orange warning but in reality it will only hold for anywhere west of the city, and a town like Ballinasloe will just be a bit blustery.

Cue all of the 'why is this an orange warning?' posts… 🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Mad_Lad

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

i'm due to land into cork at 3pm on saturday 😣

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ToweringPerformance

On a ferry out of Dublin port Saturday morning to Holyhead. Just as well iv'e decent sea legs looks like it's going to be hairy, the weather not my legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Spot on. Galway is very big. Ballinasloe to Clifden or Mace Head is a 2 hour drive west. There can even be a world of difference between Mace Head and Galway City which is sheltered by the Bay/Burren for Southwesterlies.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,483 ✭✭✭✭banie01

My 1st wife, mother of our son and overall lunatic was a Kathleen!

Shíts about to get fúcked up...

But?

I know I can fix her😁😉

Advertisement