Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simon Harris, the TikTok Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,199 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Accom, food, electricity, medical, etc. They should have been saving for the past 2 years. Cut it now. If they don’t like it they know where the airport is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭tom23

But but but doesn’t multiculturalism transcend all this? we don’t need plans to integrate they’ll love us because we are irish that funny little generous race of people on an island… maybe they are related to us somehow since we went all over the world…

How anyone 2 years in still hasn’t learned basic english is beyond me

Are you planning to leave?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Photobox

This x 100. I would add condescending expression too when on the back foot. The man is shallow. Zero integrity, just goes with whatever way the wind is blowing. Varadker 2.0. He would be calling out his own talk currently as far right a year ago.

Post edited by Photobox on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Ah BB, that's a silly response and I think you know that.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭standardg60

You're tying yourself in knots. Precedence in court cases is the definition of we used to get this so we should continue to get it. It's a principal, it doesn't have a separate meaning in or out of court.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You are some …

I guess inviting in half of Africa, Middle East, Central Asia (male half mind) promising them own door accommodation in 3 months, taking in over 100,000 Ukrainian refugees offering them full dole, free accommodation, free healthcare, education (including higher third level grants than natives), all with no facilities to match the influx is not considered making a balls of it in your little world.

But to most of us adding probably in the region 150,000 people to our social welfare spend and public housing lists over a couple of years is making a balls of it, a very big balls of it.

Or would you consider shoving people into hotels, guest houses, old closed pubs, basically anything that some sleeven chancer can turn into a hostel type accommodation in small towns and villages throughout the country and when that runs out then shoving people into tents in fields, a success story and not a balls up then you have some seriously warped views on success and failure.

And I see you resort to the refuge of the political chancers, last seen when our political classes drove our economy onto the rocks and meant every one of our banks went under needing bailouts from taxpayers.

Only then it was "shure isn't it a world wide problem and besides it was all the fault of Lehmans".

What's your Lehmans this time?

Oh yeah international obligations, Ukraine, blah de blah.

Funny how the Danes, Hungarians, etc manage to be able to do things differently.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

What about yourself?

I would much rather keep the legal valid immigrants (whatever their race, nationality, creed) here working hard contributing to our country any day of the week than any of our established political party politicians and the sleeveens that back them and the absolute shyte they are trying to force on us.

Leave and do the people, the native Irish people and the working contributing valid legal immigrants, who want a better run country and society for ourselves and our children a favour.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I think you’re mixing yourself up. Precedence in court is based on previous case law. The fact it used to be done one way and now isn’t is not relevant. Things are allowed change. Legal precedence is the outcome of previous similar cases, and can still be overruled if the court sees necessary and has legal basis.

Not mixing it up at all, I never said that the precedent was set by a previous court judgment, I said the precedent was set by the government. Precedence in court cases is argued because a previous court set a precedent in relation to a decision.

The government made a decision to pay the original amount, it could be argued that they can't now renege on that decision without valid reason. The initial lowering of the payment only applied to new arrivals. Why didn't the government apply it across the board in the first place if they had carte blanche to do so?

That was a very virulent post CM,lot of anger, maybe understandable, to the posters position.

There was however an addendum at the end which if I recollect said something like “I’m out of here”.

Seems to have been edited out before I replied, and that is why I asked the question.

That’s the reason for my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,709 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

When we see ROG and Helen gone, deportations actually happening, tweets that nothing available in Ireland for IPAs with no documentation or fake documentation in every language sent out, only genuine IPAs from active war zones accepted, then the government are doing something imho, no more talk talk talk it is time for action, Simon has the big job, put on his big boy pants and act like a leader, listen to the people

• Registered Users Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Let's not kid anyone/ourselves here..

The ONLY REASON that Harris and Co are making noise about cuts and tighter rules is because of the upcoming elections.

The "noise" from the electorate that they reluctantly have to listen to at these inconvenient times hasn't gone away on this issue and even the mainstream press is acknowledging the frustration and anger that's built up over the last year in particular.

It's only because FG and the other party bosses are concerned that this anger will translate into their members losing their seat on the gravy train as a result that Harris and the others have been sent out to make the right noises.

If the elections were still a year+ away we'd be continuing with the free for all immigration "strategy" regardless.

Surely no one here is that naive to believe otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Iguarantee

In fairness i was correcting a spelling mistake and ultimately removed my last comment.

To clarify: it said "I've had enough", not "I'm out of here".

I have a small mortgage (<€150k) and otherwise have zero debt. I don't have car loans, a phone contract, a broadband contract, a personal loan, nothing. I earn a 6-figure salary. I go on, maybe, one holiday a year with my family (to Europe).

In all honesty, I simply cannot believe how much I'm taxed, directly and indirectly, and how much of my income goes to the government. It's astounding.

I regard myself as a lucky person, but we are giving away so much in country, mindlessly. I don't have an issue with social assistance, accepting refugees etc. but we have so many things in this country that are genuinely fücked and the people who fücked them up are the same people making other policy decisions.

Anecdotally: a proposed childcare development near my home was recently rejected planning for 3rd time. One of the principal reasons being "it needs to be a standalone development" i.e. a detached premises as opposed to a unit in a business park or some equivalent. This decision was made whilst the city hall childcare facility is in city hall (not a fücking standalone childcare premises) and now doesn't have an outdoor area for the kids (this is against the regulation governing childcare facilities!).

Yep, completely agree. What is lamentable for me is as an electorate we have arrived at the Trump/Brexit station far sooner than I expected.

Idiocracy is here whether we like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Agree, only a couple of years ago I was thinking jesus aren't we lucky we seem to have avoided all that nonsense.

A really poor Goverment and desperate policy have created the conditions for the far right to grow and completely broke social cohesion I fear beyond repair.

I will never forgive the last two Government's. They have changed the country for the worse through sheer incompetence.

Everyone fair and honest, that’s a good sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chrisd2019

The only money tree the interests me is the one that I provide for myself through my labour!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

You pretty much agreed with exactly what I said… “Precedence in court cases is argued because a previous court set a precedent in relation to a decision”… there have literally been no court cases on this so in turn, no precedent set!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I'll just never get it. What do the government (and in particular FG) actually have to do, to lose the support of their most ardent supporters?

Just what level of depravity do they have to stoop to?

What horrors must they inflict on these supporters or their families?

How much money wasted, is too much money wasted?

How much money syphoned off the state to select connected businesses, is too much?

How much potential, irreparable damage must they inflict on the country…

…for the supporters to finally say - 'Right that's it, I'm done with this crowd'

FG 4x4 arrives at farmhouse - Men in grey suits hop out, torch Tom's farm and drive off

Neighbour: Jaysus Tom, that was terrible, shockin stuff. That's an awful way to treat ya

Tom: But sure lookit…

• Registered Users Posts: 13,159 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

New opinion poll from the Irish Times today has FG up 4 and Sinn Fein down 5.

Simon Harris strategy of clearing illegal tents and cutting welfare for refugees is having the desired outcome.

I suspect we'll see the anti refugee language and policies ramp up even more from FG after these polling figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Legal precedents are when a case's circumstances and legal requirements match those of a contemporary legal dispute.

What contemporary legal dispute would prove precedence in the Ukrainians getting money from us??

I actually think that poll is bad timing for FG. It will embolden Harris and he will come out with more promises he can't keep. The real poll is coming up very soon.

My family have been voting Fine Gael for decades. I was a loyal supporter until after 2011. Out of my 5 siblings, only one of them is holding out as a FG voter now but he's a bit like the "I'm alright Jack" citizens that you see around the place. He doesn't see the big picture ever and turns a blind eye to waste/mismanagement/corruption.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I must say I'm very surprised at that given FG policy is the cause of current goings on.

People really are a bit thick (well those interviewed).

Post edited by Northernlily on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭enricoh

Before the last election Leo said he wanted to look after the people who get up early n pay for everything. After the election he laid on Levy's and stealth taxes instead n outbidded them on houses!

Simon has had a road to Damascus change recently regarding refugees n paddy buys it again!

Maybe we get the politicians we deserve!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭tom23

We do. but hey all these doctors and engineers might just save our little treasure Ireland.

Advertisement