Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simon Harris, the TikTok Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,593 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Down in Cork presenting Frances her award last night

• Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As I posted in the Refugee thread, his piece in the Opinion section is more of what we have come to expect - do more, the Euro Migration pact is the way, we need migrants, our international obligations, and the usual FG paranoia/insecurity pop at SF.

The front page piece is just trying to play to the gallery so they don't get rinsed in the locals/Euros.

The man has completely lived up to my expectations. Actually worse than Varadkar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭tom23

Just typical Simon speaking out of both sides of his mouth.

Simon should be about doing, taking action, instead of waffling on, he himself has been in charge of DOJ, a department that needs overhauling and a much better minister in charge, I would suggest getting rid of Helen McEmpty and Roger O Gormless for a start, the endless pops at opposition SF is tiresome, they are not in government, he is not taking pops at the Independents who have been challenging his government, I was hoping FF would call an GE before next year, I think there is alot of in fighting in FFG

• Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Apparently the thought now seems to be an election in the autumn from what I read in the paper this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,384 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'd say behind the scenes they already have decided a date for it.

Its going to be a bloodbath for them no matter when they call it, its hard to think of a Government that is more hated than this one by both the left and right for different reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I think what will be interesting to observe is how many of the current government actually lose their seats entirely. Roderick O’Gorman is clearly a goner.

But could Harris actually fail to re-elected? It was a close call last time. The ignominy of losing his seat would be unfathomable. What about McEntee? Apparently, she has sufficient numbers in her part of Meath to get her over the line. I wonder how much of that goodwill her disastrous tenure has canibalized? Could Catherine Martin be another who is in trouble? An arrogant, talentless woman who has brought nothing to her brief.

We certainly live in interesting times..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭HBC08

As mental as it seems I think all of those even Roderic will get returned.MacEntee for example is a shoe in.

They may be in opposition but they'll be returned as TDs.

You may well be right. I think O’Gorman is the exception though. I live in his constituency. People around here are very clued into his antics..

Interesting to get the local view and of course I hope you're right.

Obviously the man is an idiot but he was given a hospital pass and I think a new department should be set up specifically to deal with immigration.

I also feel like he's a bit of a patsy or fall guy for a lot of things However,the fact that he's not smart enough or brave enough to speak about this tells me all I need to know about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,169 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Jaysus!

Its going to be a great counthry when the Shinners get in and sort out everything.

Looking forward to it.😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭tom23

‘tis between that, the new forest of magic money trees, the multiculturalism, the 1000’s of doctors and engineers that are currently sleeping in tents and are raring to go… we’ll be the toast of europe again. Pat on the head anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭enricoh

Our taoiseach has asked spoofers applying for asylum to go for work permits instead. I'm sure they'll listen Simon!

Nowhere to rent except for nosebleed rents Vs free meals, free accommodation, utilities, medical card and pocket money.

If you want to come economically to work here, please apply for a work permit," he said

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭prunudo

i think Harris could be in trouble. Wicklow boundaries have been redrawn and has been reduced to a 4 seater.

John Brady (sf) will get in with high Bray following, as will Jennifer Whitmore (sd) who has done good work for schools places, especially in Greystones so could hoover up Harris supporters.

So that leaves 2 seats between Matthews (gp), Donnolly (ff) and Harris (fg). Then throw in any possible, right wing or other independent, things start to get interesting.

Of course a lot will depend on timing of any GE ans what has happened in the country/area in the lead up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭corkie

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/our-migration-policy-is-going-to-be-grounded-in-common-sense-taoiseach-simon-harris/a49586366.html

• Mr Harris added the discussion about migration should be “honest” and “truthful”, adding Ireland benefits from migration. He also said Ireland aims to have a “sustainable migration system”, which requires faster processing times.

Indo making an article from the Newstalk interview above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Harris or Donnelly, Not sure how are the viewed in the constituency, I think Harris will have the edge as he is Taoiseach and a party leader. But then again it will come down if they have a little agreement that they don't campaign in each others turf, like in Meath East were McEntee does not campaign below Slane and vice versa for the other FG TD, the reason Regina lost her seat. If Harris wasn't elected he would be the first sitting Taoiseach not to be elected in the history of the state. Currently Varadkar has the dubious record of being the only sitting Taoiseach not to be elected on the first count and not to bring in second seat for the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,152 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Donnelly is going to be fooked.

He is not real FF so any diehard FF voters will not vote for him and he has been conspicuously absent in a lot of local matters.

Brady will get all the shinners in Bray so should be enough.

Whitmore whilst doing lot of good local work is not enamouring herself to a lot of voters with her pro immigration stance.

The Greens will be slaughtered.

All the main players are chasing the votes in Brady Greystones areas and not rural voters.

By rural I mean anything outside /Bray/Enniskerry.

By time of election areas adversely affected by IPA centres will include Wicklow Town, Newtown, Dunlavin, Baltinglass, Blessington.

Maybe if someone like John Snell runs he could also eat into Brady's vote base as well as get all the disaffected voters now in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭prunudo

i suppose the thing with FF voters is, who Donnelly gets as running mate and whether the party faithful play nicely with transfers. Snell is going to walk the locals but not sure whether he wants to step up to a TD. Only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If at least one government TD is going to lose out here, Matthews surely has to be the first to go, given Greens' national polling numbers. Not impossible Harris or (much more likely) Donnelly could join him but I don't know who other than a second SF candidate would be in a position to threaten them, and on current national numbers SF don't look strong enough to take a second seat in this sort of constituency, especially with a presumably low=profile second candidate…

Well Pat Casey will probably hope to be running mate, but turning up at protests or meetings doing an imitation of a statue defending FF ministers aint going to cut it anymore.

Donnelly I think is toast, die hard FFers will see him as a sleeveen that joined so he would be a minister, then did shag all as a minister and did shag all for his constituency.

I think Harris will get the middle and upper Greystones votes, but little else.

And a fair few people in Greystones that have had difficulties with their kids getting secondary places might wonder what their higher level education minister did for them.

He couldn't even be bothered turning up at any of their meetings unlike Whitmore.

• Advertisement

Like elsewhere an independent has a very good chance.

You have now got a lot of very pi**ed off people in North/West Wicklow.

I think Snell if he wants it can get a seat in Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭mcgragger

How many Taoiseach's are there now living here with the permanent pension?

He will be joining them soon the weasel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,823 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I heard 10 mins of an interview with Simon and Pat Kenny today. Simon was clearly having a dig at Leo at his inaction around the migration crisis and processing times. It's always easy (and cowardly) to blame the guy who just left.

Wakey wakey Simon, you were recently in Justice for 6 months !!!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

To be fair to Harris, at least he’s making some noises in the right direction.

That weasel Varadkar actively encouraged the current situation and continued gaslighting the electorate, labelling them far right and racist, until he finally understood that his position was no longer tenable.

I’m no fan of Harris, but I truly despise his predecessor. History will judge him very harshly.

Agreed,

Harris is at least addressing the publics concerns somewhat and is introducing some changes.

A lot of the things he's talking about would be labelled " far right" a year ago.

He is saying all the correct stuff but is any actually implementation going to be started, if he really wanted to make change, get rid of ROG and Helen ASAP, toughen up the Justice department, merge with Integration, all good and well to talk big things but start doing, I'm wonder is it all waffle for the elections

We have record numbers of IPAs coming to Treasure Ireland

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is an incredibly tiny chance of Harris losing his seat. While there is the element of the constituency changes, FG received 1.51 quotas on the first preference and more votes than SF in the last election. The only reason Harris was elected so late was because he was trying (almost successfully I might add) to bring in a 3rd FG seat.

He'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,169 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Even someone like you surely couldn't expect the guy to sort out Justice in six months?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,823 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Nobody said "sort out" but he might have figured out that the immigration rules were not being enforced and tasked McEntee with resolving that. Instead he turned a blind eye and they both got found out.

Much easier for Simon to blame Leo for the inaction.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Simon Harris slashing money to Ukrainian refugees in state accom to 38 euro. These are people who arrived in the first 2 years of the war.

Bit rich for him to accuse others of being far right.

Advertisement