Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kyle Hayes receives 2 year suspended sentence and €10,000 fine.

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

do tell , if possible.

a disgusting attack, and especially for a man of his size and strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Unless of course he believed he was not guilty, not having full recollection, or heaven forbid, actually was not guilty of the assault as per the jury's unanimous findings.

With all the posts here quoting the Garda statements I went back and had a look at some of the reports from the trial. Without getting into the gruesome evidence the medical reports strongly suggested the victim had only received one blow to the head. That evidence fairly refutes the statements that Hayes or anybody was 'reining' kicks on the victims head. It would also be quite possible that blow to the head came during the earlier altercation and was not from Hayes.

I don't think it's anything other than an honest mistake by those Gardai, given the chaos etc.

From what I know of these things there's a charge sheet read out in court stating very specifically what he was alleged to have done in terms of assault. If he didn't do it, as seems to be the case, why would he plead guilty?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The decision by the Jury after having heard the evidence from both sides, has nothing whatsoever to do with Hayes pleas beforehand. You keep saying he was found not guilty so why would he plead guilty. I’ve explained why he in this instance should have plead guilty. The Jury finding him not guilty afterwards, has nothing to do with that.

I'm sorry I still don't get it. Are you saying he should have pleaded guilty to the two charges and not the other one?

There would still have been a trial and I'm guessing his lawyers would have advised him not to.

The only way what your saying makes sense is if you're supposing the jury's decision was wrong, Hayes was guilty of the assault as charged, and still plead not-guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I notice how little you commented on your victim or Hayes's in coming to your conclusion regarding custodial sentences.

If you got prison the first time your other victims might have been spared a hiding.

The criminal justice system puts way too little focus on the victim.

Other than the physical assault all the evidence from the night in question points to Hayes being an out of control big headed cnut.

I'd have some sympathy for a person giving a punch in anger or reacting but that wasn't the case here with Hayes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Glenomra

exactly. why should he have pleaded guilty to an offence that would have got him a jail sentence, an offence that he was subsequently found innocent of.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

For me it's very simple. Hayes should be treated in the same fashion as Paddy Jackson and Stuart Olding. They were found not guilty in a court of law, correctly so, but were also shunned from Irish Rugby for their awful behaviour and attitude. Also, righly so.

The court has spoken on Hayes, guilty of violent disorder. Not guilt of assault. Sentence handed down by a judge, one which Hayes is lucky spared him jail. If Limerick GAA has any moral compass they'd be politely asking him to step away from the panel. Or putting pressure on Kiely not to pick Hayes. Neither of those things will happen with the culture that has developed in the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’m saying that he should have plead guilty to all three charges. Then there would have been no trial, no publicity, and a lesser sentence. I don’t know what way he was advised by his lawyers, they act under his instructions, so whatever way they advised him, ultimately he makes the decision as to whether he pleads guilty or not guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Some of the judiciary in this country are a joke - one particular name springs to mind, although he wasn't involved in this case. It's no wonder certain parts of the country have gone to hell as there is no deterrent for crime... in most cases they get a slap on the wrist.

If the judge saw fit to impose a 2-year sentence, it's comical that he suspended both of them. I could understand if it was a 6-month sentence, but 2 years... what is the cap for suspending? Why not suspend 5-year, or 10-year sentences if the defendant has a good record and has some powerful advocates who will give them a character reference...

The only negative for him is that he will be ineligible for certain jobs, or his record may impact his ability to travel to certain countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Neither of those things will happen with the culture that has developed in the GAA.

I've no idea what culture you are referring to, but what you are advocating for is Cancel Culture, I think everyone and their mother is sick of that nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭mikethecop

No , its not the fact that people know what he did isn't punishment its just a fact of life , part of what is supposed to be civilized society. being responsible foe ones actions

The point i was making is that more weight is given to the effects of justice than on the criminal than the victim , which is as i said ass backwards , He changed his victims life forever why shouldn't his like wise be changed too?

We have no idea what he got up to in the intervening time , any crimes reported or not could not be part of the trial and mitigation given by defense barristers is often manipulation of facts half truths and out right lies that go unchallenged

i ve been on many many nights out in many different country's circumstances and environments and i ve never found my self in a situation where i felt i needed to kick some one in the face or batter them unconscious, most people dont , and those that do should be confined away from the rest of us .

if you have multiple convictions for assault you are one of those people , for the safety of those who have to lie around you , feeling bad abut it after the fact isnt good enough and does no one any good

Personal responsibility is the basis of a civilized society and if you cant control your temper or drink/drug intake you shouldn't get the benefits of living in that society , your record of behavior is a gauge of who you are. why shouldn't a record of multiple violent assaults be held against you ?

Fair play to you Mark25 for your honesty.

I had forgotten it yesterday when I was called out for not thinking of the victim, but when I was about 16 I was blind drunk, barely able to stand, and set upon by an older gang. I was kicked and beaten pretty badly but thankfully I've no visible scars.

I'm not sure that relates to the case here because in that case when they'd finished smashing me up they set on some other legless drunk. It very much wasn't a case that they thought they had been wronged in some way.

On the other hand I've also seen many incidents outside nightclubs, chippers etc where a fight breaks out and young men jump in thinking they're behaving honorably, defending a friend or brother etc. Often they're just trying to break up the fight. The guy or guys starting the fight might intend it to be a one on one, but they'll have their mates with them, in case the other fella does.

While Hayes was clearly the aggressor in this case and very much instigated the fracas, it seems we don't know how much he was actually involved in the fighting and how much he was trying to break things up once they'd gone too far.

It's absolutely wrong that he instigated the initial assault, but I would say if he deserves a prison sentence then so do an awful lot more young men in this country. That kind of thuggish behavior is normalized amongst young men, I hope it's improved in recent years but it was widespread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Hooked

One thing is for sure...

He won't be using that "Do you know who I f-ing am"? line anymore...

The whole country knows who you are now!!!

It does make him sound like a d**k.

But I'd hate to be reminded of all the drunk stupid things I said at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

What an absolute wan@er he was to use a line like that. For playing an amateur unpaid sport that literally hundreds of thousands of people in this country have no interest in. If his victim had his time back he should have replied "No never saw you before in my life, what do you do that's so beneficial to society?".

If Kiely picks that utter scumbag to play again this year i hope the opponents goad and abuse him so much he will show his true colours and lash out, red carding his way out of the team. You just know by the go of him he's an utterly repugnant human being. Don't you know who I am ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I'd rather his opponents had a bit of self respect.

His actions on the night in question where utterly cnutsish but I wouldn't judge his character entirely on that one night.

I've watched him play a lot over the years and while very physical I never thought he was a bad character in how he plays. A bit freakish in his physical capacity, lots of his type tend to be wild/headbangers but often mature. John Leahy comes to mind among others; he's now an addiction counsellor

I thought he should have been jailed but he hasn't and that is the courts decision unless there is an appeal.

The victim can still take a civil claim and maybe he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

what as you say if your son or daughter go down the town Saturday night to a nightclub and bit of a row breaks out and one yours gets a big of a kicking and ends up in A and E, or a coma or broken eye socket or maybe dead sure it’s all right the lad that done it didn’t mean it and the Gardai can’t be trusted to see it properly to testify in court, sure let him off and don’t ruin his life, my lad or lady will be alright with it and I am happy out there being toughened up. Wake up and hope it never comes to your door,

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Slightly off topic but a workmate not long back stole a line he heard from a TV programme and when a ruffian he was dealing with (and who came from money) went “Do you know who my father is ?” replied “No idea, and if your mother ever narrows it down let me know !”

It’s such a gobshite line to use!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,285 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

There is plenty of lads bigger than him, getting into a scrap is one thing but putting the boot in on a man thats already down is the lowest of the low.

• Advertisement

I agree and have said several times it's lucky this didn't end up far worse.

He wasn't found guilty of assault though.

Wouldn't it be better then talk about how he would have faced jail had he been found guilty, and the shame brought to him just being involved in something like this?

What kind of message does it give people giving out about sentences being too soft, and first offenders never seeing jail for things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Not a good idea, John. People will move on when they want, they don't like being told to move on especially when it's just gone open to discussion. I get that he is trying to control the narrative but people are angry. I don't know what not speaking to RTE is going to achieve. I thought RTE's coverage was fine. But they should have interviewed the victim for balance rather than just film Kyle(but maybe he doesn't want to be interviewed):

Kiely refused to speak to RTÉ on Thursday, as he said he objected to coverage of Hayes's trial, however he did speak to journalists at the launch of the Munster Championship in Cahir.

"I think my presence, I wouldn't have gone there unless I wanted to show him that I was there to support him but also that it doesn’t mean I’m condoning what happened at all, quite the contrary. Listen, it’s over, it has been dealt with by the courts, we move on," said the five-time All-Ireland winning manager.

The Treaty boss acted as a character witness for Hayes at his first sentencing hearing in January.

Advertisement