Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kyle Hayes receives 2 year suspended sentence and €10,000 fine.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭zimmermania

It was much more serious than Golfgate when a bunch of tds,senators, solrs,judges etc were aquitted when it was obvious the law was broken but the judges summing up was interesting when she stated

"the type of people at this event were not the type of people to knowingly break the law" and of course she aquitted them because of course they came from a similar background as herself.

She practically suggested that if they were from a working class background or an inner city soccer club she may have come to a different conclusion.

One law for the rich or privileged and one law for...ah you know the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

One law for the rich or privileged and one law for...ah you know the story.

It’s not one law for the rich or privileged and one law for everyone else at all. It’s the same law applied the same way, for everyone. In sentencing Judges will take aggravating and mitigating circumstances into consideration in sentencing. In the example you used, they were acquitted. If you’ve a few previous convictions for road traffic offences but you love animals? Suspended sentence for being an idiot:

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/woman-who-shared-image-of-boy-a-online-acted-as-judge-jury-and-executioner-court-hears-1604405.html

In Kyle Hayes case, there were aggravating and mitigating circumstances too, and the Judges sentencing won’t change what I think of Hayes (not much), but he received a fair trial and the Judges sentencing was fair.

It’d be silly to argue that the law should be applied differently because he’s plays hurling (he should have seen the inside of a jail cel), but then to complain that the law was applied differently because he plays hurling (as though he actually got off scot-free, he did not).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

A speeding fine would never land you in custody even for non payment.

While he wasnt convicted of assault - he was convicted of violent disorder. So hes still a scumbag and should have been imprisoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

He might need to get his brothers on the squad too by the sounds of things

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Why let the facts get in the way of a good story?

It looks like there was some confusion as to who was actually doing the kicking, and he was found not guilty of that.

• Advertisement

Maximum sentence is 10 years, but who gets anywhere close to maximum sentence for a first offence and when they're employed.

From what I see judges go to great lengths to avoid jail sentences for people who are working. Whether that's right or wrong it's the same for everybody.

Again, he was found not-guilty of assault. Why would he plead guilty for that? So there would have been a trial anyway.

Fair enough, but then a good proportion of young lads in the country should be in jail.

I don't know how much things have changed in the last twenty odd years but in my day (can't believe I just said that) fights like this were fairly common.

I'd guess the judge see cases like this all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The cynicism in today's GAA is astounding. From turning the game into a commercilised pukefest to instilling a win at all cost unsporting mentality from underage up and tacit acceptance of harmful behaviour.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

So Gardai as witnesses not good enough for you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If he was in any other country and broke someones eye socket he`d be doing serious time now.

A myth which is often citied.

The scum that attacked Sean Cox were out after a year.

Here is 2 others I quickly found.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/23577317.darwen-man-given-suspended-sentence-appalling-attack/

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/crime/man-given-suspended-sentence-after-fracturing-mans-eye-socket-over-parking-3534332

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

This version of the story below from the Indo doesn't appear to be firewalled.

Gardai testified that Hayes was the one doing the beating/kicking and ran off from the guards etc. case is fairly cut and dry. A bit of a night club brawl is one thing but the fact that they waited for yer man outside and chased him down the road and gave him an almighty beating only stopping when the Gardai arrived, means it's absolutely crazy that he got off with a suspended sentence, not sure if he gets a criminal record or not?

There does seem to have been others involved too, I wonder has anybody else been charged?

If Limerick win the 5-in-a-row this year and this thug plays, it will be completely tainted and John Kiely should be ashamed of himself too. JP knew about this case and doled out some diddly-i to the GAA beforehand to soften up public opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Hopefully you’ve more respect for all your other countrymen than you have for the victim in this case.

your missing the point, he committed assault by the book, and with a combination of top legal help and possibly back handers it’s been reduced to the violent conduct charge. It does not change the fact Kyle Hayes battered a fella as witnessed by 2 Gardai. It does not change the fact his sentence was lenient considering his actions/crime(not what he was ultimately tried for).

Since the start you have been on this thread telling people they “can’t read” - it’s actually a case that you don’t understand, as I said to you already I hope none of your family ever gets assaulted(brutally and twice I might add) and the perpetrator gets away with it because that is what’s happened here.

Kyles Hayes fine will be paid by for him. His legal fees will be paid for him. What can’t he do now? Move to the US? Disgrace of a judgment.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

A civil suit is still open to the victim and I hope he takes him for every cent he can.

This won’t be this lad’s only conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 MickMacca7757

Hayes is not the first all Ireland winner to get away with assault and won't be the last. Didn't a certain Dublin footballer get away with assault back in 2012 because he attended anger management classes and coached a few kids. But it will be interesting to see what happens with his current assault charges on two men back at the end of 2022

he committed assault by the book, and with a combination of top legal help and possibly back handers it’s been reduced to the violent conduct charge.

What are you talking about?

Violent Disorder is a more serious charge than Assault Causing Harm.

He was charged with 2 counts of Violent Disorder and 1 count of Assault causing harm, he was found guilty on the first 2, not guilty on the Assault causing harm.

Who are you suggesting got "back handers" The Jury?

I assume you have evidence for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭zimmermania

VIOLENT DISORDER,it is sickening that he practically gets away with it,solid evidence provided,the guy runs away before being caught and pleads innocence,powerful people plead on his behalf,the dogs of the road were aware he would not serve one day in prison and the victim Carrie's the scars forife.

Sadly the law is still slanted in favour of the rich and famous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭thomas 123

”possibly” Boggles come on. And no, not for a second am I suggesting the Jury or Judge.

So who are you suggesting?

The guards investigated and sent the file to the DPP who brought it to trial on 3 charges.

So it can't be them.

So who "possibly" could have got this back hander?

We all get it wrong sometimes and I guess the jury thought the same.

We didn't see the full details of the defense case but it looks like it went along the lines that there was a big group involved in a chaotic scene.

With the best intentions in the world anyone could mix up two similar looking brothers in that situation.

It would have been hard for the jury to convict if Hayes was sitting in the court beside each other and the two of them are the head off each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Is it rascist to suggest that Limerick lads look the same, I wonder??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Baba Yaga

as soon as yer man came out with the "do you know who i am" shite id have locked him up for a month

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭mikethecop

What the f s the point the a criminal justice system that focuses nearly totally on the criminal and not the victim .

somewhere along the way everything got turned around ass backwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Where did you see information saying it was a fight?

He was attacked twice, the first time he got away from it as fast as he could, the second time he was chased and was caught while running away and kicked and beaten on the ground, Hayes was clearly identified as kicking him while he was on the ground, then ran from the guards after telling them to **** off- it was not a fight in any way.

I've seen plenty of 'fights' , I've also seen assaults for no reason, there is a difference.\

This was not a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Can the DPP appeal the sentence? I know by traditional Irish standards of not wanting to punish criminals this sentence probably isn't out of kilter. To me and others it is though.

So the DPP should appeal based on the gravity of the offense and the eye witness testimony given by various people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The incident may take a bit of the sheen off things for Limerick if they have more success this year. Decent people who support Limerick can't be happy with Hayes pleading not guilty and the lack of remorse shown. If he had pleaded guilty the perception would be much less negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mark25

Don’t really know if this was a soft sentence or not but the fact that everybody in the country knows about this is a punishment in itself.

He got a 2 year suspended sentence and everyone knows is and the victim will get at least €10,000. It happened in 2019 so over 4 years ago and probably hasn’t been in trouble since. He would have been only 20/21 then. If he had got prison it would have changed his life forever – even if he wprobably would have been treated a bit like a hero inside and probably would have had support and a job to go to when he got out.

I know things like this shouldn’t happen but they do on nights out and it happened to me. 10 years ago I was in the same situation as him. After it happened I felt really bad over what I did but couldn’t change it. I pleaded guilty but still got prison. You can get prison for this type of thing but it wasn’t my first offence for assault so I suppose that was tte big difference. I wasn’t a GAA player though either. I didn’t need to get prison to know what I did was wrong. I probably deserved it and it didn’t so me any good. When you are in there you end u doing things to fit inmore with the other lads and get pissed off with everything. Having a criminal record is one thing but when people fins out you’ve been in prison they usually think you’re a scumbag and don’t want to give you a chance and think you are  just going to cause problems. Even last year all this that happened before was brought up against me over something minor.

I hear it all the time people saying people that courts are too soft and build more prison places and lock people up but it isn’t just a simple as that.   

Again, he was found not-guilty of assault. Why would he plead guilty for that? So there would have been a trial anyway.

There wouldn’t have been a trial if he had plead guilty to all three charges, as opposed to pleading not guilty to all three. I’ve already explained why it’s easy to argue he should have plead guilty to all three charges - saved everyone, including himself, the trouble and publicity of a trial, and there’s the fact a guilty plea would have demonstrated remorse and taking responsibility for his actions, and he would have received a lesser sentence accordingly. It also would have saved John Kiely making a complete fool of himself when called to give a character witness at trial, and instead he asks the Judge directly to give Hayes “a second chance” 😂

I hope you’re not suggesting that Hayes had some foreknowledge that he was going to be found not guilty of assault causing harm, and two counts of violent disorder, which is the only reason you’re able to argue he was found not guilty after the fact so why would he plead guilty before the fact.

I'm sorry you've just confused me with that last part about foreknowledge, you'll have to explain it a bit better.

I don't see why anyone in the world would plead guilty to something they were not guilty of. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Ok - before the trial, he would have had no idea that the Jury would find him not guilty, so arguing that he was found not guilty has nothing to do with his plea beforehand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement