Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kyle Hayes receives 2 year suspended sentence and €10,000 fine.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭JPCN1

It was a brutal assault and should have yielded more than a slap on the wrist. Community service is hardly a Siberian gulag.

What happens if your first offence was a murder?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Can we blame the idiotic jury for ignoring the evidence of 2 garda eye-witnesses, who seen him kick the victim in the head while on the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Thanks, I'll continue to blame the scumbag in question for what happened. And the scumbags that support him for being the ones responsible for such a travesty of a sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Aravo

This was a criminal case taken by the DPP. What's to say that a civil action personal injury claim could also arise. JP may be needed to assist with financial matters to sort that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭893bet

If we had enough prison places then he should have gotten a custodial. But we don’t and there are far worse animals on the street anyone annoyed he isn’t locked up has an agenda.

Roll on the five in a row! Hon Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Usually it is the unemployed who are painted as the violent ones in society, I have seen it many times on this forum. A story about a crime and people comment things like "they weren't at work anyway". Employed people get arrested week in week out for fighting outside pubs yet it is "dole scroungers" who get the blame.

Stories like this are quickly brushed under the carpet in our society. There was uproar when a Derry player attacked someone in Boston and now everyone is cheering for him. Also Mickey Harte gave a character reference for a rapist in my local area and it got brushed under the carpet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,378 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Irish justice system is a joke, needs to be tougher

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Yes. He strutted around the nightclub saying dont you know who I am so now the country knows exactly the type of fellow he is. Even walking out of court he pushed the reporter out of his way in an arrogant manner. I hope they scream abuse at him until their throats are raw when he gets back on the pitch. It's the very least he deserves. Mad how some people defend him because he plays hurling. It's a boring amateur UNPAID sport where the only winners are the Grab All who cream millions from the matches. In 10 years time nobody is going to even remember him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

A lot of young men get involved in street fights and act like entitled assholes in Nightclubs.

I think his behaviour and actions on the night were appalling, and for all I know he is a complete ass the rest of the time too.

I just don't think he should be treated any worse than somebody else for the same crime.

And given the publicity I'd say he already has come out of it worse than another would, not to mind then giving him a prison sentence on top that nobody else would get.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,916 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

My heart goes out to the victim, he hasn't gotten the justice he deserves.

This isn't surprising that a Limerick Hurler escapes justice when his trial was in Limerick....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Tell that to the guy with the busted eye socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I just don't think he should be treated any worse than somebody else for the same crime.

He isn’t being treated any worse than anyone else for the same crime. That’s kinda the point - he was treated a lot more favourably because of his otherwise good character.

The facts are that he was the instigator, he did kick and punch the victim, and the victim sustained serious facial injuries. He then tried to do a runner from the scene and there were two Garda witnesses on hand to apprehend him. He has a bizarre notion that he’s something of a local celebrity, but the reason he’s in all the papers is because of the fact that he decided to plead not guilty to the charges, and at trial John Kiely, appearing as a character witness, asked the Judge to give him a second chance, which ticked the Judge off and all.

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/courts/2023/11/21/limerick-hurler-kyle-hayes-kicked-and-punched-man-who-spoke-to-two-women-in-nightclub-court-hears/

https://www.limerickpost.ie/2024/03/20/all-star-limerick-hurler-walks-free-after-violent-disorder-conviction/

He could’ve avoided all the publicity, he chose not to, neither that night, nor when he was arrested and charged. He’s nobody to blame for the added publicity only himself. He was only lucky the Jury and Judge were extremely lenient in his particular case.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Relative to most sentences, it's on the harsh side

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

They absolutely would not with a clean record prior and the fine would have been a fraction of 10k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Still he was convicted of violent disorder and not the more serious charge, is employed and has no other convictions.

I don't think it's unusual to see people convicted of more serious charges who get suspended sentences.

I would have been quite surprised if he had gotten a custodial sentence tbh.

Rightly or wrongly judges look very favourably on strong work records, first offences and being deemed at very low risk of reoffending, which I'm assuming was the case here. I don't think in sentencing terms he was treated any differently.

I'd imagine the judge would also have to respect the jury's finding that he was not guilty of assault. I know there were witnesses but I believe the defence was that his brother was also part of the fracas, that it was a chaotic event, and those witnesses might have been mistaken. I think the judge would have had to respect the jury finding that a reasonable possibility.

In terms of pleading guilty, it's hard to argue that he should have, given he was found not guilty for the more serious charge. He might even be quite sure he didn't land the blow that caused the harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

“He might even be quite sure he didn’t land the blow that caused the harm”

So when he had the lad on the floor and had finished kicking his head, someone else nipped in after and fractured the victims eye socket ???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Huge fcuker and serious athlete, imagine having him come at you in a drunken rage.

I'd say he's up to his neck in women too and this conviction will only enhance his badboy appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,832 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

You wouldn't be on a Brian Cody team after doing that, that's all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭batman75

Your good name is everything. Hayes has done damage to his. Due to Google it will follow him to the grave. Ideally he shouldn't be picked for Limerick again. The message needs to get out that violent crime will not be tolerated. The judge hasn't sent that out in his sentencing.

Mitigating circumstances is another load of codswallop. Good character references likewise. Your actions speak louder than words.

It's not just the physical injuries that trouble a victim of violence. The emotional damage can be life long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Just one comment,if he was a member of a local soccer team he would already be in jail.

PRIVILEGE wins out over justice,there should be a campaign for the state to appeal the leniency of the sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

This is exactly the reason the country is so fucked up sentencing wise - this attitude of "sure its grand" and "its only a first offence" - Ill get a good character witness to get me off - Its bullshit.

He assaulted someone , broke their eye socket and basically got away with it. This thing of being lenient on someone for a first offence has to be dealt with - fair enough a first offence for a very minor crime but all violent behaviour should be dealt with by way of a custodial sentence - no exceptions - mandatory minimum sentences in the case of any violent behaviour causing harm.

Maybe then we`ll get a handle on the scumbaggery thats plaguing the country - how many "first offenders" who were let off went on to have multiple convictions??

If he was in any other country and broke someones eye socket he`d be doing serious time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

The drive to 5...is well alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s not hard at all to argue he should have plead guilty, could have saved everyone, including himself, the trouble and publicity of a trial, and received a far more lenient sentence. That’s kinda the point of pleading guilty when the prosecution have plenty of evidence to support the charges.

I wouldn’t have been surprised if he’d received a custodial sentence, but it was only for his otherwise good character (there’s no point in other posters arguing if Joe Soap this, then that, because each case is determined on it’s own merits). He was treated differently both in terms of the verdict, and sentencing, precisely because of the circumstances outlined by the Judge. The idea that he is, in the Judges own words “a successful sportsman” undoubtedly played a part in determining sentencing -

The judge said he accepted Mr Hayes had no previous convictions, was of good character, a good worker, had raised money for charities, and is a “successful sportsman”.

However, the judge said he could “not ignore” that Mr Hayes had “significant culpability” in the events on the violent events on the night.

He added that the violent disorder inside and outside the nightclub were “linked”, and that Kyle Hayes and others acted in a “threatening and menacing” manner when they “followed Cillian McCarthy out of the nightclub”.

Maximum sentence for violent disorder is the same as that for assault - 10 years. He was let away very lightly with sentencing for both convictions suspended and an order to pay compensation of €10k to the victim, noting that the victim could still pursue a civil case should they wish to do so -

Judge Sheehan directed Mr Hayes to pay €10,000 in compensation to Cillian McCarthy who Judge Sheehan said was attacked by Mr Hayes and others on the night. The order is without prejudice to any civil proceedings now open to Mr McCarthy, the judge said.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Did the judge not accept that he was not involved in the punching and kicking incident outside the club that caused that fractured eye socket and the jury unanimously found him not guilty of assault ?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Acorn 737

If you play a sport at inter county level you are regarded by many as a role model for good bad or indifferent. Self control is the price you pay for it. Hurlers and footballers are generally looked up to, criticised and slavishly followed by people who have never played the sport and really don’t have a clue about it, for reasons that are inexplicable. I can’t see why a player in an amateur sport shouldn’t be chucked off the team and replaced. Growing up back in the day you could be taken off a team for simply using bad language or any other kind of misbehaviour, regardless of how good you were, in my neck of the woods anyway. Sport is a good thing, there are a majority of great people out there, but the bad apples need to be weeded out and left where they belong. Going around acting the hard man and the Do you know who I am? horseshit shouldn’t really be tolerated. Especially since most people in a niteclub won’t know or give a **** who you are.

Advertisement