Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kyle Hayes receives 2 year suspended sentence and €10,000 fine.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I don't really blame Hayes for the silly sentencing. It's just par for the course in Ireland where a lad can viciously kick the shite out of someone and not see a prison. Look at the Dublin fireman in America who has been charged with rape. If found guilty wait and see the sentence he gets over there. It will run to decades.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13218391/Irish-firefighter-accused-rape-boston.html

We are a soft country on criminals and that won't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Smells like a payoff. To be fair to the lad Hayes assaulted he brought it all the way to court.

Gillane might well see a day in court though. We just seem to take for ages for trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭kirving

Your last line - yes, absolutely. Gardai, judges, sports stars, teachers, celebrities and politicians should face harsher sentences for identical crimes.

The more influence you have, the more of a deterrent a prison sentence is to the rest of the population. Some will say that's unfair, but IMO the fairness lies in that you can't reap the rewards of notoriety and then cry foul when a harsher sentence comes back to bite you.

€10k is pocket change too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Yes, so it sets a precedent. Are you capable or critical thought at a all? Evidently not.

Look up the definition of assault. He assaulted someone and got away with it.

I hope your family don’t have you in their corner if anything was ever to happen to them. Green tinted blinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Hurling people would know of a number of incidents involving members of a prominent team over the last number of years. It is to no one's credit that some of them have been kept quiet and did not reach the courts.

The victim in the Kyle Hayes case deserves enormous credit for his bravery in ensuring justice was done and criminal behaviour was exposed. I hope he is happy enough with the outcome.

The efforts that have been made to protect county players in one county are very, very unseemly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Limerick hurling fans are the worst. They all jumped on the bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Unfair to call Galway rough because of the behaviour of a rugby player from Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Glenomra

A former Republic of Ireland Under-21 international footballer has avoided jail for breaking an opponent’s jaw during a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Think I'll rejoin the local GAA club.

Never know when I might need a good character witness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,652 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

2 years suspended and 10K would be in the mid to higher end of sentencing for convictions like this given the circumstances.

Kyle Hayes shouted at Cillian McCarthy, "do you know who the f… I am"

I would have gave him 2 years custodial for that alone.

🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭victor8600

Being part of the gang that beats up a person is not an excuse. Everyone in the gang should get 10 times harsher sentence than if it were a 1:1 fight. Even if all you do is stand around, while your mates are beating up the victim, you are as responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Glenomra

true but posters wrote that 'scummy' behaviour is never forgotten. Just pointing out how an offender can go from being convicted of a violent assault to becoming a role model tears later as had happened with Shane Horgan.. thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭victor8600

Yes, indeed, I want to live my miserable life in peace with violent gang thugs locked away, to prevent them from fracturing my eye sockets and other bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

There's a logic to that I'll agree, for the gang attack anyway, not so sure about being a bystander.

Might be hard to implement in practice though.

I'd say what happens in a lot of these drunken situations is that it starts as a 1:1 fight and then people pile in, usually on both sides, or some to try and break up the fight.

I'm not saying Kyle Hayes wasn't clearly the instigator here, and acted violently and deplorably, but it didn't look like he organized a gang to attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭thomas 123

He beat the **** out of a fella outside a nightclub - no judge can change that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Twas ever the way.

"Just some lads havin a bit of fisty cuffs sure"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

seems a fair enough sentence, not sure what people expected

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Infoseeker1975

The extent of the attack is that the injuries could have been far more serious, it should not take a life threatening injury or worse to be given a custodial sentence.

Victims of assaults like this can have long life issues as a result.

The culture of lads and drink, well nowadays it is all drugs should not give a pass to assault someone part of which are kicks to the head whilst on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭JPCN1

I think a custodial sentence would have been correct here but failing that 200 plus hours of community service perhaps.

10K seems like a buy out so he can go back hurling. Doesn't sit right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I agree that it could have been far worse in this case. I've said already it's lucky it wasn't one of those situations where somebody gets killed in street fight.

But Kyle Hayes wasn't found guilty of kicking him in the head. There was a group involved, one of whom did that.

He was cleared of that charge and found guilty of violent disorder. I'd guess it's extremely unlikely that anyone would go to jail for a first offence on that charge, especially where they're employed and otherwise seen to be of good character.

Whether that's right or wrong I don't know, but I don't think he got off light. In fact I'd say he did worse than others in this situation would, given the publicity.

Advertisement